• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Pokemon Embarrass You?

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
I have a friend who doesn't like to buy Pokemon Games, Game Guides, Toys, Cards, etc. in public because he doesn't want people to know that he's into Pokemon - he thinks they will look down on him for it or make fun of him for it I suppose.

So what about you? Do you get uncomfortable when buying Pokemon merchandise in public? Do you fear people around you will make fun of you or look down on you?

Do you think it's easier for a girl to admit that they like Pokemon than for a boy to do it?

I personally don't care what people think of me - especially ones who don't know me. I'm young, and I'm aloud to buy all the Pokemon stuff I can afford, why should anyone else care?

Last edited:

lucario750

pokemon master
im not Embarrass when it comes to buying pokemon game but i am Embarrass to tell people that i like pokemon

piplup_777

Paparazzi ♪♫
I will buy pokemon things in public.
But I dont like to tell people at school i play. I think that if I will get made fun of
it will be there.
But once the guy i liked confessed to me that he was in love with Pokemon
and loved playing on Wi-Fi. All I said was okay. I didn't tell him i like Pokemon, because I wanted to look cool in font of him :/
Sometimes when I'm playing Platinum I wonder if we could talk even more if he knew i liked it too. We could battle together and trade.
But now that I think about it I might just tell him ;)

Last edited:

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'm not embarissed about buying pokémon merchandise in public.
But I won't tell people that I'm into pokémon.

mangaeyes

I always feel kinda childish when buying a Pokemon game and I would never tell anyone I like Pokemon unless I knew them well.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
Naw, not with the game. I rarely finish them anyway, so I should be more embarrassed about wasting money, I guess. As for the anime, I'm not really into it anymore. Just some casual show you can sit through once in a while.
The fandom is embarrassing sometimes though, with the couple of those using a "Digimon is a sucky rip-off of Pokemon" mindset. Thus backlash after backlash... sigh. As a fan of both series, I am not amused. :|

Maru90

POCKET MEN ANYONE?
I'll usually go with someone to buy a Pokemon game.
My close friends know I like Pokemon and they like it too, but not as much as me.
I keep it to myself at school but I'm a Pokemon junky at home. However, if someone tells me they like Pokemon, I won't be shy to tell them I like it too.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Well, I would never let my girlfriend find out.

:S

LiteBlue-

Master of the Ground
To tell the truth, I do feel kinda embarassed when I buy a pokemon game in the public. It just makes me feel kinda like a nerd when somebody has just witnessed a teenager (me) buy a pokemon game. I only buy a game when I'm with my friends, because they like it also. That way, I feel kinda (said kinda) cool when I buy a pokemon game, because my friends might buy one along with me also =/.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Maybe a little (I'm a shy person anyways). But I don't buy a lot of Pokemon related stuff anyways (I only own what 3 of the games). As far as telling people only if they say they like it first.

None of my irl friends know I write fanfiction or go on SPPF or anythng, but they do know I have an unhealthy obsession, and frankly, I couldn't give less of a crap. Let them think what they wanna think. ^-^

It did embarass me a bit when I was younger, but I learned to accept it. XD

The Flash

I like shorts!
i wait till i'm the only one around and then buy it. and then head straight home, i'm paranoid someone will ask me what's in the bag. and then i reply pokemon...lame.

ShinyLapras

I have quite a few friends who love pokemon, so, no i do not really feel embarrassed to buy a pokemon game in public..i don't feel embarrassed even if someone laughs at me for getting a pokemon game.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
My friends actually don't care that I play Pokemon because they play it too. Plus, I only play the games and that's it.

Electric

I try not to let people know, but I get into fights with people who make fun of me.

I really hate when people are like "L13K 0MG P0K3M0N SUX0RZ!!1111111" and later you find out they actually like Pokemon.

Nidoprince

This is a story from a few years ago:

My friend: C'mon, let's play Pokemon at recess!
At recess:
We were all planning what we'd do.

We finished planning and then:

My friend: OK, we'll start now.

We were playing for a few seconds and some random kid comes up.

Random kid: What are you playing?

My friend's friend: Nothing.

I couldn't believe it. She hides that she even likes Pokemon in front of everyone but me and my friend. I buy Pokemon stuff all the time in public. I play Pokemon all the time. They do look down at me, they do make fun of me. But as much as people hate me (and I hate them) over it, I've also made friends from it. Everybody only hates Pokemon because of the anime. Sorry, but it wrecked Pokemon BIG TIME. Even some guy was making fun of it "Why don't you stop watching this show?" he said in a Pokemon theme tune. The game came before anything.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
It does. Seeing that I'm 16 I'm too old to be buying pokemon merchandise or watching the anime (THAT'S MY OPINION, i understand that other members may think the opposite so read before flaming). The anime and cards etc. I grew out of when I was like 10, but I play the game because I grew up with it and it is a good game, generally speaking. However I'm very embarrased to buy a Pokemon game in public or even mention it to anyone but friends I know who play and maybe my family incase they say 'hey what game are you playing?' But I still don't care as I mean, how often is it gonna come up in everyday life? People who hate other people for playing Pokemon are just as sad as those they think are sad for playing Pokemon. If something as small as a videogame gets in the way of our perceptions of others it really is a sad thing IMO. Pokemon has long been associated with nerdiness with a lot of people and that's why it embarrases me, but tbh who's gonna know or make fun of you unless you're stupid enough to tell someone who will.