• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Pokemon Embarrass You?

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
No. I constantly play it in school. The only people who make fun of me for it are idiots anyway.

Escape Reality

Daydreamer
I'm a 16 year old girl whose friends find her weird for just liking games in general (Apparently games aren't for girls) and when I brought up the subject of Pokemon casually, my friend laughed which put me off ever admitting I liked the games.

I went to the Shaymin event and didn't care as the people there wouldn't be there if they didn't like it also. Don't care about the general public but friends are a no-go.

i hear you there. i'm turning 16 and i still play pokemon and other video games. they don't even know i'm can't wait for HGSS, because they'd laugh at me and think "wow, that's sad." DX
of all my friends, i'm the only person who actually enjoys playing them. i mean, yeah, two of my friends have played video games but one stopped right after gameboy advance came out and the other still plays, but very very rarely, because she doesn't care about them at all.
sooo, a lot of people don't know i play pokemon.... -__-
my other friend thinks i'm sad (in the pathetic way) because i buy video games that are for 1 player and play them myself.

littlestchristian13

ThatEmoMetal-head <3
I'm going to college soon. i love pokemon. i have loves it since second grade and still do. I'm not embarrassed. my boyfriend plays it with me! he has my platinum and i'm cloning in emerald as i type :D i have pokemon shirts i wear all the time. i love it! <3

Bestemnx

SOUL SILVAHHH
Oh my god yes, I get so embarrassed. I'm a 15 year old girl about to go into an all girl high school. I lock my computer so people don't know I'm going to these pokemon websites, I only play under the covers in my room, my family and my close friends don't even know I play. I even have to wait until I'm sixteen so I can drive to the game store to buy HGSS by myself. Even then I'm going to ask for a gift receipt and say it's for a nephew or something.

I mean, I'm pretty sure one of my friends is just as excited for HGSS as I am but I haven't even told her...It's not that I don't trust my friends it's just I'm a teenage girl.

I highly envy and respect all of you that can be so open about it. It's not that pokemon in general is embarassing (because it's freaking awesome) it's just my self-esteem is real low.

But man....I love me my pokemanz.

Littlemyuu

My room is full of Pokemon posters/figures/stuffed Pokedolls and im 19, i really dont mind what other people think of me when they see it. i like to have things what i collect, i wont hide it for anyone.

so no it don't embarrass me..

Last edited:

umbreon freak

Who's next?
Oh my god yes, I get so embarrassed. I'm a 15 year old girl about to go into an all girl high school. I lock my computer so people don't know I'm going to these pokemon websites, I only play under the covers in my room, my family and my close friends don't even know I play. I even have to wait until I'm sixteen so I can drive to the game store to buy HGSS by myself. Even then I'm going to ask for a gift receipt and say it's for a nephew or something.

I mean, I'm pretty sure one of my friends is just as excited for HGSS as I am but I haven't even told her...It's not that I don't trust my friends it's just I'm a teenage girl.

I highly envy and respect all of you that can be so open about it. It's not that pokemon in general is embarassing (because it's freaking awesome) it's just my self-esteem is real low.

But man....I love me my pokemanz.
A little sneaky are we?

Escape Reality

Daydreamer
My room is full of Pokemon posters/figures/stuffed Pokedolls and im 19, i really dont mind what other people think of me when they see it. i like to have things what i collect, i wont hide it for anyone.

so no it don't embarrass me..

oh yeah, i forgot, i have some of the ~2" figures from when the pokemon center in NY was still up. they're on a shelf in my room because i have no where else to put them... but no one really cares. then again, they just think the figures are from when i was younger, (which is true), and that i have them there because they're just there, but that i don't care or play pokemon anymore, (which is not true).
and none of my friends know about SPPF or that i have an account and go on here regularly. XD

Tyranitar trainer

Back for a bit
If anyone I know saw me buying a Pokemon game I'd say it was a prresent for my brother
And If I had a friend round and they saw my pokemon games I'd say they're my brothers

Nah. Once I got into high school, I was just like '**** it.'
In all reality, Pokemon really isn't that 'babyish' as they say. I mean, it is childish. But the way people make it out to seem that if you like Pokemon, you're just a loser, a total dork, is really out of hand. Jeez, people like freaking Dora, and Whiney the Pooh, and these girls will walk around wearing shirts of them like it's amazing.

I played Pokemon, and brought my DS to school all the time. I got along with everyone, and nobody ever bothered me. Of course my friends would be like "you're such a nerd" when I'd go on about my more big obsession over characters and shippings, and how I need to watch this episode! but really ..I don't see the point on trying to hide that you like Pokemon.

Chances are, most people probably do like it. Even the people who make fun of you. I found out a lot of people enjoyed Pokemon still, by being open about my like for it.

If you're really going to be that insecure about your like about something, then why even continue to like it so?

btw, i'm a 19 year old chick, with a pretty sweet reputation in my town ..ahaha. kinda. we all hate each other in reality, but i get along with all those cool kids. ;3

Endless_Winters

Frostbite Kisses
I sold my DS and my Pokemon games with it about a year ago - because I hadn't played it for months and had lost interest. Just recently I bought a DS and Platinum off Ebay (to save some money, not because I was ashamed to go buy them in public). I truly doubt now that I will grow out of Pokemon; rather, I'll just grow too busy for it. After all, that's why I sold my things in the first place. Pokemon was a part of my childhood, my adolescence, and I'm sure it will be part of my early adulthood! :)

Do I share it? Nah. I don't share it with friends, because I have in the past and I know they're not interested in it. I don't share it with others, because I don't care to go out and look for 'poke-friends' to play with. I'm sharing it here because I like these forums and Pokemon is the common interest. Like others have said, Pokemon for me is mostly an enjoyable waste of time.

On that note, I'll be 18 in October.
Also, I'm a lady, not a lad. :)

FlameRose

I could care less about the opinions of people I'll probably never see again.

And among my friends, I point out that Pokemon is the best time waster ever.

Took the words right out of my mouth. =)

While I don't go around TELLING people I have an unhealthy obsession with it, if someone were to ask me I'd answer "Yeah, I like it. So?"

Seriously, a year or two ago we were listing our favorite TV shows for something in math, and I'm proud to say I answered "Pokemon". Got a bunch of weird stares from all the other girls, but I honestly didn't care.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Well, a few of my close friends know I play pokemon, and a few of them do themselves. I mean, Im popular at my school, and My friends look down upon that kind of stuff, so, I only tell people I trust or that wont care. Its not like a secret or anything. But yeah.

Riversong

Buggy down.
At school I don't announce that I like it, but it doesn't matter since people don't care if you do. My school is very...er, diverse too, to the point where liking pokemon is considered normal when put next to the various weird crap you'll hear about there.

And in public? I bought a drifloon plush months ago at Meijer, didn't care one bit, and neither did anyone else (i'm 16 and female btw). I don't buy cards anymore though.

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
I'm proud of my ambition towards pokemon and i don't care whatever other people say or think I say pikachu randomly. I publicly talk about my ev training. I talk to friends randomly about pokemon and my plans. I live for pokemon why would I be embarrassed.

shadowswampert93

nah, i don't really care what people think of me when i play pokemon anymore. pokemon is just another weird fad that people tend to accept like batman, dora, and other stuff, u just don't get made fun of for it anymore, that or no one cares

Profesco

gone gently
Not in the slightest. There's nothing to be embarassed about.

I find it difficult to tolerate the wimpiness of those folks who do let themselves feel embarassment from it. You're doing it wrong, you know. You could be happy and satisfied, you know; not hidden and nervous.

Bah. Strengthen up a little, kids.

~Neon~

There was a child here. They're gone now.
I don't go flaunting my like of Pokemon, but I find no problem with buying anything related. It does bother me when people give me weird looks and make fun of me, but that's all par for the course when you're old enough. I met one of my best friends by him noticing me playing LeafGreen. Some of my most cherished memories include having other young children huddling around me to catch a glimpse of the Silver action and the awesome glitches brought on by link cables. I'm not ashamed.

Hell, that friend I mentioned earlier? Couldn't find a bigger fanboy if you tried. He loves Pokemon and isn't afraid to admit it. He buys the cards, draws Pokemon regularly... No one really teases him for it. He's a Pokemon fan and absolutely proud. He is definitely not ashamed.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I have been embarrased by people whose first instinct when they hear the word "Pokemon" is to make fun of the person who brought it up. Still, I have met several friends and even learned a lot about them just from us being fellow fans. Pokemon 4 eva.

The Flash

I like shorts!
I don't tell my friends i play it. but i don't collect the cards or go to the tournaments. i think its a good way to waste time especially on a road trip where your in a car for HOURS. what else are you going to do? i can easily knock out half the road trip by playing till my DS dies. its a lot of fun, i always thought people who EV train are the "nerds" of pokemon and that people like me who just play through the games and restart aren't as bad because its just like any other game you would play. instead of catching footballs and running for the endzone, i'm defeating other monsters to make mine the strongest. Now i'm really into EV training and enjoy being able to make my pokemon more specialized. I guess everything comes full circle.

squirtle_123

Yes, at times I am embarrassed to tell people that i like/play pokemon but then i don't go to far lengths to hide it. What most people don't realize is that probally half of the people that say they don't like pokemon really do and play it a lot. It's just the "Cool" thing to hate on pokemon. But in my miond it's wrong because you don't see people being made fun of for liking halo or wow why is pokemon different?