• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the fourth gen suck?

Dax

Legend
I like this generation but not as much as the 3rd one. It cleraly introduced strong pokemons like Magmortar, Garchomp, Staraptor, Torterra, Empoleon, Rampardos, Luxray, Rhyperior and some others. I just like the last generation more.

Too much evolutions from previous pokemons and less original ones. I like it more than the second generation for sure.

Shaman

OMG itZ pikablu!!1!1
I dunno, I still love the 4th gen; the music is WAAAAY better (Game Corner, Snowpoint, Blizzard area are stuck in my head at the the same time!), and the graphics are a plus, and WiFi trading/battling is awesome! However, before the game is over, things are really lousy. Am I the only one who has noticed that aside from Chimchar, the only fire pokemon you can get is Ponyta?!? In my opinion, there is a HUGE gap between the 2nd and 3rd, and why is that plot of land behind the Battle Area called "Battle Park", if all it is is the Battle Tower and a big Exchange building? Still... Rotom ownz!!!

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
Rotom is kinda hard to catch, I mean I pitted a level 90+ against it and used only Nest Balls. How?!

Shaman

OMG itZ pikablu!!1!1
Uhhh, a Quick Ball did the job for me! Full HP, one turn! Maybe it was fate....

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
I caught a Zapdos with only 1 Pokeball once.............in Blue

I also caught Southern Island Latias with 1 Ultra Ball once.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Now why does this thread amuse me.....

Oh yes I remember a time where people referred to GS as the worst versions ever made due to the Pokemon apparently being bad then 2 years later either people changed their minds or the people who actually liked it actually spoke up.

Now come to think of it wasn't it only a month or so ago when everyone was saying RS were the worst versions and they'd been saying that for a year now.

I give it till the next 5th gen till DP is referred to as good and 5th gen referred to as bad.=P

Seriously I don't think this will be the last time I hear the complaint of speed. When graphics start upgrading it's going to slow down. DP has some 3D element even though it's not 3D there's elements here and there. That will slow things down. Everyone wants a full fledged 3D game in the future. Well be prepared to sacrifice speed when that happens because it will slow down as the graphics start edging towards it.

The speed in DP is still fast in comparison to XD and Colosseum that's because it's still 2D. That's why I don't complain about speed because I know it'll slow down as each generation approaches. Since they're updating the graphics one step at a time.

The only complaint I have is the lack of fire types at the beginning of the game.

"L"

It's always the oldies from the RBY days that seem to complain about this. Come on, after four generations, obviously their storyline becomes a bit boring, but the Pokemon designs themselves have come a long way from the generic blobs like Ditto and Grimer, the cut and paste evolutions of Dugtrio and Magneton, the uninspired designs of evolutions like Ponyta-->Rapidash and Poliwhirl-->Poliwrath.

Oh and the "Sceptile is ruined" arguements people always throw around these types of threads is total ********. Sceptile's Leafblade had gained a power up, while recieving energyball and Dragonpulse to compensate on it's special side, both of which are more powerful. Really, no oldie pokemon got screwed this gen either, except for maybe Flareon.

But really the only complaint I have (other than some of the wonky looking sprites like Charizard) is the fact that three generations later, no other Pokemon have been able to evolve through the thunderstone other than Pikachu and Eevee. What am I supposed to do with the hundreds of thunder stones I dug up? Sell them?

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
It's always the oldies from the RBY days that seem to complain about this. Come on, after four generations, obviously their storyline becomes a bit boring, but the Pokemon designs themselves have come a long way from the generic blobs like Ditto and Grimer, the cut and paste evolutions of Dugtrio and Magneton, the uninspired designs of evolutions like Ponyta-->Rapidash and Poliwhirl-->Poliwrath.

Oh and the "Sceptile is ruined" arguements people always throw around these types of threads is total ********. Sceptile's Leafblade had gained a power up, while recieving energyball and Dragonpulse to compensate on it's special side, both of which are more powerful. Really, no oldie pokemon got screwed this gen either, except for maybe Flareon.

But really the only complaint I have (other than some of the wonky looking sprites like Charizard) is the fact that three generations later, no other Pokemon have been able to evolve through the thunderstone other than Pikachu and Eevee. What am I supposed to do with the hundreds of thunder stones I dug up? Sell them?
Dugtrio evolved?

Dragonfree

Just me
I want to murder someone every time I hear the phrase "Game Freak is running out of ideas".

No, they're not. With each generation the Pokémon have become exponentially more creative. However, it happens that as they get more creative they increasingly risk that people will find them to look too strange or ugly, and people just love to slap more objective-sounding words like "uncreative" on everything they don't like.

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
Uhhh, a Quick Ball did the job for me! Full HP, one turn! Maybe it was fate....

I use quiick balls all the time, sometimes they work better then Ultraballs...I caught Dilaga with only one! And Nah, the 4th gen was okay but not what I was expecting....

Praetor

Psephophthalmus artu
they changed the battle system that we've become accustomed to for the past decade, and it was pretty unoriginal feeling all around

so in that respect i completely agree with Sphyxius

but i also agree with PDL in the type~balance combinations, and the competitive battling will never be the same but otherwise in poke'mon design; GF is running outta plausible ideas

nevertheless i was less than underwhelmed with this generation

Sphyxius

oh ****, this guy caught me red-handed.

yep, I'm most certainly an "oldie" RBY and GSC held me in a state of awe and wonder, whereas DP I played through, beat, caught the legends, and haven't really touched since. People respond to my complaints like i'm gloating about something, but it doesn't make me happy, it makes me rather sad actually.

And yes, GF has made some very original things this gen. but they suck. original doesn't = good. Garchomp is one of the most hyped, and I think its design is crap. yes, a land/sand shark is very original, but its execution is pretty lame. I keep saying in all my posts that this is my opinion but people flame me like I'm preaching this religiously. Can't I express an idea or two?

And you can't tell me that GF has come a long way from the unoriginal evolutions of ponyta-rapidash/grimer-muk without me laughing my *** off. sorry *points to Buizel-Floatzel/Shellos-Gastrodon and a gillion others* ...and Magmortar is probably the biggest insult to Fire pokemon ever, design-wise. It looks like a Jynx that set itself on fire.

I'm one of those shallow people that likes the powerful and intimidating designs of pokes like Salamence, Tyranitar, Nidoking, and Kabutops... (regardless of stats)... thats why this gen I said "screw the fire starter, I'm picking Torterra" (who btw is my favorite poke in this gen hands down). There just weren't many of those to get all excited about.

One thing I guess I wish now that I think about it is that they had made less legendaries and given normal pokemon all those amazing designs that they gave all the legends this time around. Heatran could have just as easily been a Fire/Steel Metagross and been a 3rd stage evo of something. I think next gen they should have fewer legends and evos and give new pokemon cooler designs and typings instead of dumping them all on legends, evos, and starters. ::shrug:: just food for thought.

Praetor

Psephophthalmus artu
lol i'm glad i'm not the only one preaching to the choir here

other than the lack of certain types on a colossal scale was the overwhelming number of others. Water being the most notable.

furthermore, not only do i find the poke'mon designs unplausible but i also dislike the trainer designs, the boy looks much to prudish, while Pearl has got to get a coat or something running aorund in northern shinou like that, maybe for next gen or next game for that matter, they should have maybe 2-3 differnet designs for each gender

spareux

maldición
In terms of gameplay, I honestly couldn't say, since I lack the games at this time. However, after watching battle and overowrld demos on youtube, I can honestly say this is the only game I've really looked at and thought "wow" at the graphics. I was more interested in the new Pokemon with r/s/e, and the first and second generations (now) leave something to be desired.

In terms of metagame, I would say this could be the most interesting ever. By no means a perfectly balanced competitive battling scene, but an interesting one nonetheless.

Imo, people really just don't like to see the "Pokemon Formula" change as much as it has in Diamond and Pearl.

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
I use quiick balls all the time, sometimes they work better then Ultraballs...I caught Dilaga with only one! And Nah, the 4th gen was okay but not what I was expecting....
I caught Cresselia using a Quick Ball

LightningEspeon

Cyper King
I think the names could be a bit more inventive on some of them, like Torterra. All they did was put tortoise and terra (latin for ground) together.

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
I think they could have done better with Torterras sprite too.......

pokemaster001

ive read the first few posts and ive come to the conclusion that most of you suck
you have forgotten many things

1.lots of pokemon have the same types what when we run out of type combos we give up????????
2.the underground point blank is awesome
3.speed really i didnt notice
4. as great as the graphics are if you care about them youre lower than a digglet (hehe they go underground so theyre low =D)
5.do you know how amasing it is to HAVE new pkemon god look at the bright side
one more thing
YOU CANT ENJOY A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pokemaster001

ha

oh ****, this guy caught me red-handed.

yep, I'm most certainly an "oldie" RBY and GSC held me in a state of awe and wonder, whereas DP I played through, beat, caught the legends, and haven't really touched since. People respond to my complaints like i'm gloating about something, but it doesn't make me happy, it makes me rather sad actually.

And yes, GF has made some very original things this gen. but they suck. original doesn't = good. Garchomp is one of the most hyped, and I think its design is crap. yes, a land/sand shark is very original, but its execution is pretty lame. I keep saying in all my posts that this is my opinion but people flame me like I'm preaching this religiously. Can't I express an idea or two?

And you can't tell me that GF has come a long way from the unoriginal evolutions of ponyta-rapidash/grimer-muk without me laughing my *** off. sorry *points to Buizel-Floatzel/Shellos-Gastrodon and a gillion others* ...and Magmortar is probably the biggest insult to Fire pokemon ever, design-wise. It looks like a Jynx that set itself on fire.

I'm one of those shallow people that likes the powerful and intimidating designs of pokes like Salamence, Tyranitar, Nidoking, and Kabutops... (regardless of stats)... thats why this gen I said "screw the fire starter, I'm picking Torterra" (who btw is my favorite poke in this gen hands down). There just weren't many of those to get all excited about.

One thing I guess I wish now that I think about it is that they had made less legendaries and given normal pokemon all those amazing designs that they gave all the legends this time around. Heatran could have just as easily been a Fire/Steel Metagross and been a 3rd stage evo of something. I think next gen they should have fewer legends and evos and give new pokemon cooler designs and typings instead of dumping them all on legends, evos, and starters. ::shrug:: just food for thought.

part of that is funny and part of it is right but overall just enjoy the game

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
ive read the first few posts and ive come to the conclusion that most of you suck
you have forgotten many things

1.lots of pokemon have the same types what when we run out of type combos we give up????????
2.the underground point blank is awesome
3.speed really i didnt notice
4. as great as the graphics are if you care about them youre lower than a digglet (hehe they go underground so theyre low =D)
5.do you know how amasing it is to HAVE new pkemon god look at the bright side
one more thing
YOU CANT ENJOY A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Understand that Torterra isn't very appealing.......