• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the fourth gen suck?

Sphyxius

Now before everyone flames me for putting this in the wrong forum... how smart do you think it would be to bash something in its own forum? Okay... that logic is a bit flawed but hear me out.

I'm basically trying to voice a wee bit of disappointment about this gen. Not a huge thing, not like it was horrible (i bought the games, played them, and liked them for the most part).... but anyway..

Putting aside the obvious advances in graphics and sound for a moment (although I still insist DP is RIDICULOUSLY slow compared to the old gens) to focus on what makes pokemon games pokemon games.... hasn't the fourth gen been just a little bit lackluster?

The fourth gen shines the most in its advancements for the competitive battling scene, with plenty of pokemon that are sure to become the next batch of cookie-cutter sweepers/tanks and the ever-present physical/special split which has either revived or killed many previously UU or OU pokemon, respectively. Not to mention the huge spread of new moves.

But in terms of the enjoyment of the game itself i found it wanting... HMs really kill things for you in this game, as has been discussed before... and the new pokemon, with the exception of the Starters and a few of the legends, have been very poor in design and have left many fans wanting it seems. More clogging with water types, nearly no new Fire or Electric types, and very few new and interesting type combinations outside of legendaries, and with most of the most interesting and most anticipated pokes being evolutions of old ones and not coming until after the climax of the game at the E4. I felt that in terms of designs and ideas for pokemon this generation was very lacking, not just in types that didn't get many new additions, but in general.

Most of the pokemon that are truly eye-catching and interesting are either starters or post-national dex pokemon. There are a few exceptions, such as Toxicroak, Abomasnow, Skuntank, and Driftblim, all of which were fresh new ideas and designs... but almost all of the pokemon games up till now had some form of replay value. I must have played RSE all the way through 4 or 5 times. D/P I've played once and I can't be bothered to play them again because I've already used and raised all the pokemon that I liked.... I mean don't get me wrong, there were a lot of really cool new type combos and pokemon designs... but not enough you know? They rehashed a lot of animals and rehashed a lot of typings too (i really hate that, when they make a new typing in one gen and then do it again in the next instead of doing something new and better... I don't need Infernape, I already have Blaziken... don't need Gastrodon, Swampert is better... and Garchomp! wtf is it doing there when we already have Flygon! Infernape could have been a new Fire/Psychic type, Garchomp could have been an Ice/Dragon or a Fire/Dragon! GF could have made more money! >.<) ...Plus in terms of competitive battling a lot of the new typings are novelties at best, such as Frosslass's Ice/Ghost...

I really hope there is a 5th gen but in this gen I got the distinct feeling that GF was running out of ideas. DP feels wrung out to me. Most of the new pokemon are evos, and some of them aren't even that good. I hear as many people cursing Electivire, Magmortar and friends to hell and beyond as I hear people singing their praises. DP's pokedex, if you leave out all the post-national dex fluff, offers only 79 new pokemon. HALF of the pokemon from 387 to 493 are Starters, evos of old pokemon, or legendaries. Its pathetic.

In terms of the games extra's there isn't much. Sinnoh proved to be rather confining and small compared to the broad land of Hoenn and the twin Kanto/Johto areas. The Battle Zone was nice but it was so clogged with HM requiremants that traversing it and training there is a chore of epic proportions. There isn't a super powerful trainer to level up with either. Granted the E4's average levels are a bit higher but still nowhere close to the second E4 in FRLG, Steve in Emerald, or Red in GSC. Granted its nice you can get almost all the pokemon in the game, but Sinnoh really would have benefited from more land to travel.

I'm not saying DP suck beyond all belief... I still think they are good games like all the pokemon games... I'm just saying I think it has been the most disappointing yet. But then again its not through... there will probably be a Yellow/Crystal/Emerald equivelant yet to come. a GSC remake is in order but it probably isn't coming.

DP just feels very diluted and bland compared to past generations, I dunno if the transition to DS killed it or what (I actually don't like the new graphics as much... ) or if GF was just being pressured to put out a new pokemon game and they were having complete and total creative blocks, but I really hope the 5th gen throws down. because for me at least, the 4th gen really hasn't. If you leave aside the glossy new finish, and the flashy stuff and get down to the meat of the pokemon game, DP have actually struck me as... "Meh..."

Does anyone agree?

Most of the pokemon are very unique looking, but it just dosen't have that awesome feeling to it, like R/S/E.
I think it's because it's not like the Hoenn region. :(

Arbok

aka Arbok
Most of the pokemon are very unique looking, but it just dosen't have that awesome feeling to it, like R/S/E.
I think it's because it's not like the Hoenn region. :(

I'm still not completely ÍN Diamond & Pearl.. Maybe when it's released here, I hope I'll going to like them a bit more.

Skarigon

Mmm, Cheese.
I think GameFreak will hate you for this post but I 50% agree No new typings or Ideas but great story and trainers and Other things to do

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles
I dont have it yet but I just wanted to point out that 4th gen is like the 2nd, it gives mainly evos/pre-evos of old pokemon to make them more competitive. Think of it as tinkering with the last lot to make them work. In the 3rd gen nobody would have dreamed of putting a pokemon like Lickitung or Yamma into competitive play.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
I must say I know what you mean. The best thing about D/P is the WiFi, but it just doesn't have that feeling...

In fact Pokemon just doesn't have that feeling like it used to. It hasn't since R/B/Y.... Sigh...

damasta

da masta of them all
i like the 4th gen because all the characters look unique and because i think sinnoh is a very cool region.

HoagiethePokeBreeder

Poke’veteran
I think I would like the game much more if it just weren't so slow! Even when you're using the really fast bike, It seems like the game is lagging like a slow computer or something and It sucks. It takes away a lot from the game for me.

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
Most of the pokemon that are truly eye-catching and interesting are either starters or post-national dex pokemon. There are a few exceptions, such as Toxicroak, Abomasnow, Skuntank, and Driftblim, all of which were fresh new ideas and designs... but almost all of the pokemon games up till now had some form of replay value. I must have played RSE all the way through 4 or 5 times. D/P I've played once and I can't be bothered to play them again because I've already used and raised all the pokemon that I liked.... I mean don't get me wrong, there were a lot of really cool new type combos and pokemon designs... but not enough you know? They rehashed a lot of animals and rehashed a lot of typings too (i really hate that, when they make a new typing in one gen and then do it again in the next instead of doing something new and better... I don't need Infernape, I already have Blaziken... don't need Gastrodon, Swampert is better... and Garchomp! wtf is it doing there when we already have Flygon! Infernape could have been a new Fire/Psychic type, Garchomp could have been an Ice/Dragon or a Fire/Dragon! GF could have made more money! >.<) ...Plus in terms of competitive battling a lot of the new typings are novelties at best, such as Frosslass's Ice/Ghost...
For Infernape, I was at first disappointed with it being the same type combo as Blazike, but then when I relized it's sweeping power it's ok, especialy since it's ALOT faster than Blaziken, and can learn both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, not to mention Close Combat.

As for Garchomp and Flygon, Garchomp is way better than Flygon, much higher attack, higher speed and of course Swords Dance.

So you see these pokemon have the same type combos as others but so what....we've seen alot water/ground, fire/flying, Steel/Rock....it's not like a type combo is made just for one pokemon.

As for fourth ge in general, it's fine with me, sure I'm not 100% excited of many new evos, but there are evos that are really cool and I like, such as Electivire, Dusknoir and Porygon Z, which are very good for competive play.

For the graphics, I like them, heck they're alot better than before, now when you walk up somehting, move beside a building, the view changes, which is awesome, and not to mention the almost 3-D style.

The battle zone is fine with me, not better than Battle frontier but still good, and I only need the HM if I go re-battle trainers for EV training or post EV training, and I bring an HM slave anyway, besides after you finish with trainers/getting items...you'll only need to go there fo battle tower, catching pokemon and sometimes to The Ribbon Society.

So excuse me for finding 4th gen fun....even with some flaws.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Garchomp could have been an Ice/Dragon or a Fire/Dragon! GF could have made more money!
How the hell would changing one type of a Pokemon earn Gamefreak more money? 0.o

Anyway, I found the games to be rather fun and I'm still playing it, even after playing the Japanese Pearl for hours. And personally, this has probably become my favorite Gen of Pokemon...I have trouble deciding which ones I like more. :p

So, it's ultimately up to personal opinion. And sells have shown that most people have welcomed this with open arms...

I really hope there is a 5th gen but in this gen I got the distinct feeling that GF was running out of ideas. DP feels wrung out to me. Most of the new pokemon are evos, and some of them aren't even that good. I hear as many people cursing Electivire, Magmortar and friends to hell and beyond as I hear people singing their praises. DP's pokedex, if you leave out all the post-national dex fluff, offers only 79 new pokemon. HALF of the pokemon from 387 to 493 are Starters, evos of old pokemon, or legendaries. Its pathetic.
Not this "running out of ideas" junk. And how is 79 half of 107? And...do new evos and ledgendaries not count as new Pokemon or something?

Not too mention GS had only 76 new Pokemon out of 100 that weren't ledgendaries or babies/evos of old Pokemon....why isn't that complained about but DP is?

Last edited:
I agree with you 100%.
One thing that really bothered me was that once you get to Veilstone, it's 4 gyms in a row with literally the same levels, plus you could fly after the 3RD GYM! GF, please make the next game more challenging.

Reversed_Reborn

New Trainer
Ehhh... Well, I agree somewhat. It certainly didn't touch me the way Hoenn did. Probably the worst of the four gens so far, but I'm so attached to the first three that it's probably just me not being used to the newest one.

It's not ALL bad though...

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
I agree with you 100%.
One thing that really bothered me was that once you get to Veilstone, it's 4 gyms in a row with literally the same levels, plus you could fly after the 3RD GYM! GF, please make the next game more challenging.
You guys/gals always focus on the down side don't you ? ...well we all know there some bad things...but look at the bright side they're cool games, and have acces to wi-fi, which is a VERY good thing for trades.

As for fly, yes it's a bit early, but so what, it's ok...and the rock climb thing made it more challenging anyway.

PDL

disenchanted
Not too mention GS had only 76 new Pokemon out of 100 that weren't ledgendaries or babies/evos of old Pokemon....why isn't that complained about but DP is?

Same reason that the first seasons of the pokémon anime is seen as much more "dramatic" and whatnot, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Nostalgia bias.

Anyway, I think that DP is amazing in terms of what it did with the competitive metagame. Complaining about ingame stuff like the slowness (which is because there's so many things that have been programmed into the game.) and HMs (Which are there to provide a challenge of having to navigate an area using certain tools at your disposal aka your pokémon.) shouldn't be an issue since all the games have been like that.

As for the pokémon, if there's one arguement I completely loath it's the "We don't need so-and-so because we already have so-and-so" arguement. While typings themselves might be the same to you, they are different from each other in some ways.

Blazkien can get Brave Bird and has higher attack power, Infernape is equally balanced between being physical and being special, which a sexy movepool to match. Flygon can levitate while Garchomp can Swords Dance and can go crazy-go-nuts. The point is that pokémon is unique in some way, you just need to look closer then just typings.

Seriously, that arguement is more annoying then the "GF is running out of ideas" crock that pops up now and again.

xRPx

Personally, there arn't to many flaws in D/P. Yes they got kinda ghei with the HMs,and the games got a little bit easyer, and it seemed training got a whole lot easier too since they give you the VS SEEKER right after the 3rd bagde i think. But i love the new touch screen game play, i love the wifi acess,the new story line is a whole lot better then the older ones,it's not my favorite gen.But its still a great game. ( 1rst Gen is my Favorite fyi. )

Darkmaster Rannon

Thundercats Hoo!
Now before everyone flames me for putting this in the wrong forum... how smart do you think it would be to bash something in its own forum? Okay... that logic is a bit flawed but hear me out.

I'm basically trying to voice a wee bit of disappointment about this gen. Not a huge thing, not like it was horrible (i bought the games, played them, and liked them for the most part).... but anyway..

FLAME, FLAME, FLAME...

Putting aside the obvious advances in graphics and sound for a moment (although I still insist DP is RIDICULOUSLY slow compared to the old gens) to focus on what makes pokemon games pokemon games.... hasn't the fourth gen been just a little bit lackluster?

never

The fourth gen shines the most in its advancements for the competitive battling scene, with plenty of pokemon that are sure to become the next batch of cookie-cutter sweepers/tanks and the ever-present physical/special split which has either revived or killed many previously UU or OU pokemon, respectively. Not to mention the huge spread of new moves.

now Khan kicks arse!

But in terms of the enjoyment of the game itself i found it wanting... HMs really kill things for you in this game, as has been discussed before... and the new pokemon, with the exception of the Starters and a few of the legends, have been very poor in design and have left many fans wanting it seems. More clogging with water types, nearly no new Fire or Electric types, and very few new and interesting type combinations outside of legendaries, and with most of the most interesting and most anticipated pokes being evolutions of old ones and not coming until after the climax of the game at the E4. I felt that in terms of designs and ideas for pokemon this generation was very lacking, not just in types that didn't get many new additions, but in general.

go go little electric ghost dude! or wait, I just started so I dunno (in the 4th gen)

Garchomp is the new and improved Flygon, infernape as a psychic flaming monkey? it would still suck anyway...

there will be a 5th gen, or I'll steal all of nintendo's babies (goes steal baby mario)

In terms of the games extra's there isn't much. Sinnoh proved to be rather confining and small compared to the broad land of Hoenn and the twin Kanto/Johto areas. The Battle Zone was nice but it was so clogged with HM requiremants that traversing it and training there is a chore of epic proportions. There isn't a super powerful trainer to level up with either. Granted the E4's average levels are a bit higher but still nowhere close to the second E4 in FRLG, Steve in Emerald, or Red in GSC. Granted its nice you can get almost all the pokemon in the game, but Sinnoh really would have benefited from more land to travel.

it has more pokes and almost all of them have differents in gender
if it had more land then it would need more pokes, GF is to lazy to make more

I'm not saying DP suck beyond all belief... I still think they are good games like all the pokemon games... I'm just saying I think it has been the most disappointing yet. But then again its not through... there will probably be a Yellow/Crystal/Emerald equivelant yet to come. a GSC remake is in order but it probably isn't coming.

POKEMON: Crystal DS, yeah...

DP just feels very diluted and bland compared to past generations, I dunno if the transition to DS killed it or what (I actually don't like the new graphics as much... ) or if GF was just being pressured to put out a new pokemon game and they were having complete and total creative blocks, but I really hope the 5th gen throws down. because for me at least, the 4th gen really hasn't. If you leave aside the glossy new finish, and the flashy stuff and get down to the meat of the pokemon game, DP have actually struck me as... "Meh..."

go "Meh..." yourself

Does anyone agree?

I DON"T agree

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
only thing i didn't like about the 4th gen is, besides almost no new fire or electric types

theres almost nothing to do after the E4 besides fill the national dex and catch a few extra legends

if they make a 3rd 4th gen game, they need somthing like the battle frontier, or dare i say connect shinnou to johto to make the game longer

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
Same reason that the first seasons of the pokémon anime is seen as much more "dramatic" and whatnot, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Nostalgia bias.

Anyway, I think that DP is amazing in terms of what it did with the competitive metagame. Complaining about ingame stuff like the slowness (which is because there's so many things that have been programmed into the game.) and HMs (Which are there to provide a challenge of having to navigate an area using certain tools at your disposal aka your pokémon.) shouldn't be an issue since all the games have been like that.

As for the pokémon, if there's one arguement I completely loath it's the "We don't need so-and-so because we already have so-and-so" arguement. While typings themselves might be the same to you, they are different from each other in some ways.

Blazkien can get Brave Bird and has higher attack power, Infernape is equally balanced between being physical and being special, which a sexy movepool to match. Flygon can levitate while Garchomp can Swords Dance and can go crazy-go-nuts. The point is that pokémon is unique in some way, you just need to look closer then just typings.

Seriously, that arguement is more annoying then the "GF is running out of ideas" crock that pops up now and again.
This is EXACTLY my point, I 100% agree with you.