• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the fourth gen suck?

Lord Bowser

<- Favourite!
It's a great game. But it doesn't stand a chance to Silver or Blue. =P

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
There isn't a super powerful trainer to level up with either. Granted the E4's average levels are a bit higher but still nowhere close to the second E4 in FRLG, Steve in Emerald, or Red in GSC.

In Emerald you could only battle Steven once. So there was no super-powerful trainer in RSE either.

The part of this which annoys me the most is the oh-so-commonly seen "There might not be a fifth gen, because GameFreak is OMG SO OBVIOUSLY running out of ideas". Bees that are physically part of the honeycomb? Exploding skunks? Draconic land sharks that can fold into jetplanes? Yes, GameFreak is TOTALLY out of ideas.

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles
Draconic land sharks that can fold into jetplanes
"Transformers, robots in disquise" sorry just had to say that lol. Anyway right at the beginning of R/B/Y Ken Sugimori said he had ideas for over 1000 pokemon so they certainly are not running out of ideas.

Drkecho

Retired
only thing i didn't like about the 4th gen is, besides almost no new fire or electric types

theres almost nothing to do after the E4 besides fill the national dex and catch a few extra legends

if they make a 3rd 4th gen game, they need somthing like the battle frontier, or dare i say connect Shinnou to johto to make the game longer
Ok but look at R/S same situation there, after E4 the only difference is you can obtain Rayquaza and the Battle Tower. And R/B all there is to do after the E4 is Mewtwo. Plus its thier first time moving to the DS so stop complaining GF just needs a little time to adjust to the new system. Stop looking at the bad part and look at the positive thing:

1. Physical/Special Split made it alot more realistic
2. Improved graphics
3. Wi-fi
4. Defintley a better sound track
5. Main story line is harder
6. Underground
7. More story behind it. (Mostly the legend)

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
Ok but look at R/S same situation there, after E4 the only difference is you can obtain Rayquaza and the Battle Tower. And R/B all there is to do after the E4 is Mewtwo. Plus its thier first time moving to the DS so stop complaining GF just needs a little time to adjust to the new system. Stop looking at the bad part and look at the positive thing:

1. Physical/Special Split made it alot more realistic
2. Improved graphics
3. Wi-fi
4. Defintley a better sound track
6. Underground
7. More story behind it. (Mostly the legend)
Yes exactly like I said, we have to look at the bright side, espeically that there are many positive things, and what you mentioned is just a few.

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
Honestly, no Pokémon game has true innovation in gameplay, nor does it have an enrapturing story. The game itself is like everything before it with new Pokémon. If you expect more, why are you playing this franchise? I don´t see how Diamond and Pearl were lackluster. I liked the new Pokémon, I liked random NPCs calling me a n00b, I liked Team Galactic, I liked how the franchise has learned to make fun of itself and I like the astronomically immense replay value it has, which was practically non-existent in Ruby and Sapphire.

Desert Flower

Sandstorm Trainer
I agree that having to wait until beating the game to train certain pokes is very annoying, since I was looking forward to giving Gliscor and Probopass a try. And I was very disappointed that the new Safari Zone is overrun with water pokes. Other than that, I have no complaints.

With the new physical/special split, Game Freak understandably felt the need to reinvent some of the old type combos, including fire/fighting and dragon/ground. And Gastrodon is here so we can have a water/ground type that uses special moves. Meanwhile, many of the old mixed combos have been given another chance. So I don't see what all the whining is about.

And besides, what's not awesome about a sand shark? Some of their current ideas are a bit odd, but they're not running out of good ones anytime soon. Stop focusing on the annoyances and have fun with what you DO like. Or just stop playing. Because complaining is getting you nowhere.

Last edited:

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
The only part i hate about DP is that it made leafblade into physical..... seriously not good for sceptile -_-""

Cubed

You best believe it
The only part i hate about DP is that it made leafblade into physical..... seriously not good for sceptile -_-""

And Energy Ball isn't an option?

Seriously, I haven't finished it yet, but the occasional disappointments are outweighted by the improvments.

cecil

Armed with a Mind
Well...yea, I was also disappointed with the Safari Zone, even though it has the new telescope feature. And...Surf also hits your ally...duh. And...I still love Hoenn starters the most.
On the other hand, I enjoy the main story. The graphic is also good.
I hope the 5th gen has more interesting stuff to do on post-game though, something like BF or so.

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
And Energy Ball isn't an option?

Seriously, I haven't finished it yet, but the occasional disappointments are outweighted by the improvments.

no no i mean like Leafblade was Sceptile's signature move so it would have been better if they made it 90dmg/Special attack. Energy Ball isnt bad too because of the added ability of making enemies sp.def going down.

Sphyxius

For Infernape, I was at first disappointed with it being the same type combo as Blazike, but then when I relized it's sweeping power it's ok, especialy since it's ALOT faster than Blaziken, and can learn both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, not to mention Close Combat.

As for Garchomp and Flygon, Garchomp is way better than Flygon, much higher attack, higher speed and of course Swords Dance.

So you see these pokemon have the same type combos as others but so what....we've seen alot water/ground, fire/flying, Steel/Rock....it's not like a type combo is made just for one pokemon.

As for fourth ge in general, it's fine with me, sure I'm not 100% excited of many new evos, but there are evos that are really cool and I like, such as Electivire, Dusknoir and Porygon Z, which are very good for competive play.

For the graphics, I like them, heck they're alot better than before, now when you walk up somehting, move beside a building, the view changes, which is awesome, and not to mention the almost 3-D style.

The battle zone is fine with me, not better than Battle frontier but still good, and I only need the HM if I go re-battle trainers for EV training or post EV training, and I bring an HM slave anyway, besides after you finish with trainers/getting items...you'll only need to go there fo battle tower, catching pokemon and sometimes to The Ribbon Society.

So excuse me for finding 4th gen fun....even with some flaws.

you're excused... no need to get defensive.

I wasn't saying Blaziken or Flygon are better than Infernape or Garchomp necessarily, you completely missed the point. my post wasn't about pokemon being good in competitive battling. In fact the 4th gen seems almost 95% geared towards the competitive battling scene and it kinda takes away from the "just playing the game" experience. Garchomp being Dragon/Ground is great and its a good pokemon but it COULD have been... well... a lot of other things. I was talking more about concepts and designs that whether or not they are good in battle. so excuse ME. And actually, i like Flygon better, because it isn't so overhyped and its immune to EQ (for those of you who need a competitively-relevant reason to like it)

The fact is as the franchise grows older and older GF needs to make more new and interesting typings AND designs... its the most basic way of refreshing the series. And they do it in an overly restrained manner. I mean all over the forums you see people coming up with ideas and discussing new pokemon designs that should be done but that somehow just never GET done...

How the hell would changing one type of a Pokemon earn Gamefreak more money? 0.o

Anyway, I found the games to be rather fun and I'm still playing it, even after playing the Japanese Pearl for hours. And personally, this has probably become my favorite Gen of Pokemon...I have trouble deciding which ones I like more. :p

So, it's ultimately up to personal opinion. And sells have shown that most people have welcomed this with open arms...

Not this "running out of ideas" junk. And how is 79 half of 107? And...do new evos and ledgendaries not count as new Pokemon or something?

Not too mention GS had only 76 new Pokemon out of 100 that weren't ledgendaries or babies/evos of old Pokemon....why isn't that complained about but DP is?

clearly you don't read well. there's 79 (give or take one or two, may have miscounted) pokemon you can get before the national dex. I think that sucks. listen to all the people complaining that building an in-game team is a chore. It is. AFTER you get the national dex, then HALF of the 107 pokemon (again give or take 1 or 2) are starters/new evos/legends.

and GF, in my opinion, IS running out of ideas. When all the best ideas are being thought up by the fans and not the creators you know you have a problem. at least, thats what the end result shows, maybe they have the ideas but just don't want to put them out... meh... I see newbs come up with more interesting ideas than some of the pokes in this gen and I feel really sad when I think to myself "I'd much rather have that actually... " I think it is evident that some people out there are satisfied with this gen's pokemon just because they are good competitively and don't really care about designs or the uniqueness of it, or the concept. If it can be a good cookie-cutter OU poke then who cares if it is new and interesting and fun to use? well, I do.

and as far as GF earning more money.... well first of all that was what some people might call a joke or sarcasm. -_-
but I am willing to bet there are people out there that DIDN'T buy the games because well... they looked up the new pokemon... and didn't like what they saw...

Another point that i forgot to make in my first post was that the method by which you get the National Dex really saps the games replay value. You see all the pokemon, you see what they look like and hear all their cries and so there is much less mystery and less reason to play the games over again. Remember in RSE and earlier gens you'd make your team and fight through the game again and then you'd still have a bunch of pokemon you hadn't seen or used that you wanted to make another team with on your next go round?

DP are still great games so please everyone, no need to be (passive) aggressive and wtf all over the place...
This is more just like me saying I expected more and this gen just hasn't had the vitality of the past gens. maybe I'm nostalgic but since when is that a crime? and please enough with the if you don't like it stop playing BS... for one thing... I DID stop playing... about a week ago... been playing FF12 for the past week or so. Its a thread its a discussion, agree or disagree and why... no need to get all personal and whatever... its a basic human need to seek out those who are like-minded and one of many effective ways to do that is to voice a complaint or opinion. deal with it.

Last edited:

Daaku JJ

The thing with old pokemon getting evolutions now i think is because gamefreak wanted to get them out of the way for the next gen, if they were left to a later gen people would be asking why it's taken so long for the pokemon to work out how to evolve.

R/S are still the most disapointing games to me, you couldn't catch half of the older pokemon which a lot involved my favourites and the lack of other game play things that GSC had really made that gen suck for me.

Euphoria

Soul Salsa
I do enjoy the new graphics and sound, even with the slowness. I cannot stand playing with effects on when leveling thesedays because it doubles the length of battles. x_x
That being said, I quite enjoyed the storyline. I don't expect a game such as Pokemon to have a big, complicated storyline such as Final Fantasy or Star Ocean because it just wouldn't fit in the cartridge with all the Pokemon data, I assume. :S I'd absolutely love it if it was an option, though. Going through the game, not knowing who the real enemy is until the final boss, being able to use your own team of favourite pokemon right from the beginning, having a main character who's actually got lines, a personality and say things ( I know it's complex in the Pokemon games as you're the main character, but still! ) and having a world map to travel around on, seeing little towns from the outside and having heaps and heaps of sidequests, all while raising, breeding and leveling your pokemon. n_n
*ahem*
My boyfriend and I were discussing the ultimate way to improve Pokemon games the other night, hence all my ideas. XD I know it's highly unrealistic.
Anyway, as far as the selection of Pokemon goes, I fully agree that it's somewhat sucky that most non-fail pokemon aren't available until heaps later in the game. Once I nail the E4 and the National pokedex in my current Pearl version however, I'm going to breed a handful of my favourite pokemon, trade them over to Diamond and then start over. nwn/

I don't have any opinion on the Wi-Fi system as I cannot use it here. (56k dial up, yay)

Overall, I wouldn't exactly call the gen disappointing because I didn't have heaps high expectations. I loved the previous gens, particularily Yellow, Crystal and Emerald, so I'm ESPECIALLY looking forwards to the possible Big Sister (yes, I call them that :D) Game for D/P.
It's true that some of the Pokemon aren't too original or interesting, but there were failure filler pokemon like that in previous games, too, so just work around them I guess. ^^; I'm sure GF will make a lot of money from this because they don't just make money off the games, but the entire Pokemon franchise. Just think about how much merchandise is out there.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Drkecho said:
Ok but look at R/S same situation there, after E4 the only difference is you can obtain Rayquaza and the Battle Tower. And R/B all there is to do after the E4 is Mewtwo.

actually i never beat sapphire,and i never woulda beat emerald either without rayquaza

as for R/B, after mewtwo and the E4 i stop playing it

Drkecho said:

*laughs* i beat pearl within a week or 2, witch is way faster then ive done for any pokemon game, so is my opinion D/P is the easiest generation

Last edited:

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
and GF, in my opinion, IS running out of ideas

Exactly.

I for one thought many of the new Pokemon were excellent, so really it's all up to personal opinion. And before you start, I'm talking about the designs...Carnivine, Croagunk, Snover, Skorupi, Kricketot, Hippopotas, and tons others I adore.

and GF, in my opinion, IS running out of ideas. When all the best ideas are being thought up by the fans and not the creators you know you have a problem
And what the hell? Because Gamefreak doesn't put ideas the fans think up in the game that makes the Pokemon suck? That can be said for EVERY game, buddy. I've made up thousands of ideas, but I don't get mad because Gamefreak didn't think of simmilar ideas. :p

Not too mention why alot of Fan Pokemon seem good on paper, ultimately they lack the charm of the real thing. Or they just suck.

I'd like to know what Pokemon are exactly "unoriginal", as most of the ideas seem rather unique to me.

Last edited:

Shindou-kun

Lunar Dancer
I think D & P are the best game pairings since G & S, but they should've made it like in Emerald where you can rebattle Gym Leaders........