• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the lack of haxy items and less over powered pokemon make 3rd gen more fun?

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
I personally enjoy how you can have a sort of heated 3rd gen battle and not feel kind of cheated afterwards. I mean i think that there was more originality in the 3rd gen metagame and a little more strategy from trainers.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
It reminds you how much slower and more limited (Moveset wise) the third gen is. It's not always a bad thing; while there are some strategies that seem backward in light of the later games (A world in which Salamence's best moveset is Hidden Power Flying, Rock Slide, and Earthquake?), there are some I'm sad went out of fashion.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
I do mostly feel the other way around, most Pokemon have really limited movepools in third generation compared to the fourth and fifth. Which means that you are likely going to see the same Pokemon with the same movesets being used over and over, with less originality. However, I did not dislike third generation because of this, I just feel that fourth and fifth generation improved alot in this aspect.

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
The one thing that has improved though is the special/physical split. basing a move's characteristic solely off its type doesn't give many pokemon a chance to maximize their potential. i see where you're coming from though.

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
The one thing that has improved though is the special/physical split. basing a move's characteristic solely off its type doesn't give many pokemon a chance to maximize their potential. i see where you're coming from though.

yea!! some one understands were im coming from...I just feel like if you look at 4th gens metagame you see that your going up against the same ubers move sets and ev spreads all the time..i miss how when you would battle someone there were chances that you would see say a golduck or a muk or even there favorite pokemon ryhorn..now with the newer metagame people are basically forced to use more over powered pokemon just so they can have a fighting chance you know?

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Honestly, for a lot of Pokemon, the fourth gen was the time where they were freed from "That one moveset" syndrome, in which a Pokemon's movepool was small enough that you only had one viable moveset, much like RBY (One word: Charizard). The problem is, not enough of them got a ton of new moves.

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
well to each his own i guess...i just might be old school on the subject but i miss how it used to be

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
well to each his own i guess...i just might be old school on the subject but i miss how it used to be

Good sir, I'm waiting for Pokemon Online to finish it's RBY server already and play Stadium 1 to this day. I loves me some old school ;)

It's just we're talking about the last era of Pokemon that really resembled the original games, while DP is probably the first time a lot mindsets about the game changed, since compared to it, everything before is conservative.

Last edited:

Larry

I found 3rd gen the least fun out of all of the games...That is R/S/E.

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
Good sir, I'm waiting for Pokemon Online to finish it's RBY server already and play Stadium 1 to this day. I loves me some old school ;)

It's just we're talking about the last era of Pokemon that really resembled the original games, while DP is probably the first time a lot mindsets about the game changed, since compared to it, everything before is conservative.

i still have pokemon stadium 2 for the n64 i love that style of battling,atmoshpere,strategy,pokemon..old schoolness lol

DasBoot

I found the 3rd gen's metagame to kind of simple. Mostly because of the limited movepools Pokémon had; they were pretty predictable.

TheGreatDragonite

Dragon Trainer
I really enjoyed the simplicity of it, and wish it was still like that sometimes.

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
Yeah i think that there was a good balance of simplicity but just enough strategy to balance things out..i could be wrong but thts just my humble opinion.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Yeah i think that there was a good balance of simplicity but just enough strategy to balance things out..i could be wrong but that's just my humble opinion.

No, I agree; 4th gen was about the limit of what I could keep up with. When Pokemon have more than two viable movesets and you can take a serious hit for not guessing the right one, you know the options have exploded. I love 4th gen for that, it was totally liberating, but if you keep exponentially building on that, it's going to get chaotic fast for those that can actually keep up with it. Let alone the masses that gawked when Pokemon broke 300.

Funny, I praised something I was just shooting the older games down for. But hey, I'd put down "Competitive Gen 1 and Gen 4 player" on my hypothetical Pokemon fan resume, so I guess I burn the candle at both ends.

I've got Stadium 2 as well; it's exciting but awkward. Gold and Silver really gave you a taste of what Pokemon could be (And how well HAL labs understood the G/S battle system), but didn't quite feel truly diverse yet.

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
No, I agree; 4th gen was about the limit of what I could keep up with. When Pokemon have more than two viable movesets and you can take a serious hit for not guessing the right one, you know the options have exploded. I love 4th gen for that, it was totally liberating, but if you keep exponentially building on that, it's going to get chaotic fast for those that can actually keep up with it. Let alone the masses that gawked when Pokemon broke 300.

Funny, I praised something I was just shooting the older games down for. But hey, I'd put down "Competitive Gen 1 and Gen 4 player" on my hypothetical Pokemon fan resume, so I guess I burn the candle at both ends.

I've got Stadium 2 as well; it's exciting but awkward. Gold and Silver really gave you a taste of what Pokemon could be (And how well HAL labs understood the G/S battle system), but didn't quite feel truly diverse yet.

At least we agree on the main sticking point......I wish that they cared enough for the old school fans to make a pokemon stadium 3-meaning without the waterd down version which aimed at 5 year olds. I love the suspence of the pokemon stadium games like when you use thunder your waiting to see if it hit or not or like when you use sunny day the sun shines through the collosseum just right. Plus the announcer was exiciting and the music fit for the suspense and tension in the battles...To me it was perfect. :)

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I don't see how Battle Revolution's having an easier interface and being the best looking Pokemon game to date makes it for five-year-olds. Stadium 1 keeps to the series N64 art style, which I love dearly, but streamlining doesn't mean dumbing down. Attack Battle Revolution on it's lack of content. (Gen 1 and Gen 4, what can I say?)

cleftboywonder

Tournament Champion
I don't see how Battle Revolution's having an easier interface and being the best looking Pokemon game to date makes it for five-year-olds. Stadium 1 keeps to the series N64 art style, which I love dearly, but streamlining doesn't mean dumbing down. Attack Battle Revolution on it's lack of content. (Gen 1 and Gen 4, what can I say?)

the soft faces of the characters matched with the art work of poketopia with all of the pokemon rides and what not was to watered down for me. I liked it but it def wasmt geared toward anyone who's been playing for awhile in my opinion.