• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the world need more Atheist?

SnorlaxInSlacks

Come here kiddies...
K, ignoring all previous arguments because I don't feel like going trough a dictionary's worth of words over 15 pages, I'll just say: Sure, the world needs more atheists. The world needs more of religious folks, too. Because it doesn't matter either way because anyone is free to beleive whatever they want and they have the right to keep that beleif, religious or non-religious.

Oh nonononono! no more atheists!
It's like they don't want God forced upon them, and yet, they force no God apon us christians and catholics. We can't have God in in school anymore because they don't want their childern exposed to God!
Geez, i despise them outrageous atheists!!!!!
This post requires a facepalm.
*facepalm*

Ultima0071

Pokemon Collector
Personally, I have come to find that religion both helps and reeks havoc on society. Main cultures and religions are surrounded by values which help the everyday man in society. For example, in the Judea/Christian religions, there are many 'laws' in which all believers are required to follow. Some of these laws include 'Do not murder' and 'Do not steal', which are found in the Ten Commandments. These rules have a positive effect on society, promoting growth. In this way, having a faith can help a person, giving him cause.

However, there continues to be many negative factors of religion, causing most of the turmoil in our world. For example, the 9/11 attacks. These horrific events were brought on by the same rules that taught us to be just and to care for others. In this way, religion can also play a negative part in the human society.

Now, onto Atheists. Before I get started, I want to say that being an Atheist does NOT mean you relinquish religion. In the definition of atheism: 'Atheism is the position that deities do not exist, or the rejection of theism.' What this means is Atheists merely do not believe in a deity or higher power. In fact, I myself belong to a religious belief, but share no thoughts for a 'God'. All in all, religion can help societies, but also can hurt them. It is merely a self-belief that is your choice.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Personally, I have come to find that religion both helps and reeks havoc on society. Main cultures and religions are surrounded by values which help the everyday man in society. For example, in the Judea/Christian religions, there are many 'laws' in which all believers are required to follow. Some of these laws include 'Do not murder' and 'Do not steal', which are found in the Ten Commandments. These rules have a positive effect on society, promoting growth. In this way, having a faith can help a person, giving him cause.
Just because these rules are also in society doesn't mean we have religion to thank for; these are fundamental rules for ANY society to progress. Unless you can prove they came *directly* from a God, you have mankind to thank.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever

I agree with Ghost Anime on this. A government who has the rules "Do not murder" and "Do not steal" did not make these rules based on religious scriptures; they made them in the best interests of their citizens.

However, there continues to be many negative factors of religion, causing most of the turmoil in our world. For example, the 9/11 attacks. These horrific events were brought on by the same rules that taught us to be just and to care for others. In this way, religion can also play a negative part in the human society.

I agree with you on this. The Crusades, several historical wars, and even modern murders, such as those aginst gay people, were/are based on religious views. However, I can't exactly blame the religion that these idiots exist.

Atheists are actually in a good position. Atheists don't need a religion to give them hope (in a world torn by religion). They don't need religion to deliver them from sin, since sins were introduced by religion, which atheists don't follow.

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
I'm an atheist, but that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual. I believe in reincarnation and karma, but not to that extent. I believe being the best person i can, the universe will pay me back somehow. I'm never racist against other religions, I leave everyone with their religon, if they're happy then who am I to judge?

Ultima0071

Pokemon Collector
Just because these rules are also in society doesn't mean we have religion to thank for; these are fundamental rules for ANY society to progress. Unless you can prove they came *directly* from a God, you have mankind to thank.

Actually, I am in fact referring to *religion*, in which many of our laws today came from. If you head on over to the Supreme Court in America, there is a work of art all around the upper walls. This piece of art depicts all the great law-makers that influenced US law. Now, one of these characters is Moses, a prophet of the Jewish religion.

Now, I'm NOT saying that a god made all our laws, rather that religion itself played a big part in influencing our justice system. Many early law-making societies were also run by religion. For example, the Priest was usually the one with all the power, to whom the king referred to for many of his decisions.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
What the world needs is tolerable human beings and not ignorant people.

Quoted for truth.

Anyhow, I don't see why we can't just mix religion and science.

Actually, I just find it really inconvenient to be unable to say the word 'God'. At least, I think Atheists don't use that word.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
As an atheist who dislikes 95% of other atheists, I say the world needs more atheist who don't feel the need to proclaim their atheism every five seconds. It's a non-belief, and shouldn't come up unless prompted.

In short: Angsty, internet atheists, please stop ruining it for the rest of us.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Actually, I am in fact referring to *religion*, in which many of our laws today came from. If you head on over to the Supreme Court in America, there is a work of art all around the upper walls. This piece of art depicts all the great law-makers that influenced US law. Now, one of these characters is Moses, a prophet of the Jewish religion.
Killing was wrong in just about all societies. It isn't a specific religion; it's pretty much human nature. Societies that didn't kill survived better than those that did.

Religion has merely enforced and carried this laws. It's not the same as literally 'creating' them, however.

randomspot555

Actually, I am in fact referring to *religion*, in which many of our laws today came from.

Source?

If you head on over to the Supreme Court in America, there is a work of art all around the upper walls. This piece of art depicts all the great law-makers that influenced US law. Now, one of these characters is Moses, a prophet of the Jewish religion.

I don't see how that explains how laws came to be. Secular societies and theist societies aren't restricted in what laws they can and cannot pass and/or enforce.

For example, the Priest was usually the one with all the power,

While that is true for European societies, it isn't because it was a man of the cloth, but because he was one of the only that was likely to be educated.