• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the world need more Atheist?

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Go ahead, then, do whatever the hay you like. Believe, or don't. Live correctly and upstandingly, or choose to have a good time and party instead. Be abstinate, or booze it up. We have free will, after all, BUT know that you have been warned by me and possibly many others (I don't know you, I can't say) of the way you should live according to what you would say is just "a book." But just know that you'll feel awful silly (and warm) if Jehovah sends you to a place that's nice and roasty-toasty for, oh, say,...carry the three......eternity. Which is a long time, and there ain't no AC, either. But, I won't, no, can't stop you. But I can tell you to have a good time...while you can, anyway.

So know I can't live "correctly and upstandingly" unless I believe in a Bible or a God or a religion? Or more specifically, your Bible or your God or your religion?

I have to be abstinent to be a good person? If that's true, then that would mean you would have to abide by those rules which means you would also have to refrain from intercourse which means you wouldn't have kids which is a common arguement that I beleived you even used agaisnt gay people.

Also, why should I live the way you say I should? I'm not telling you how to live, am I? No, I'm not.

Well, if I go to Hell, maybe Satan will make me his best friend.

And trust me, I will have a good time using my free will to its fullest. I'll use it until the day I die and cease to exist and my body decomposes and nothing else happens to me.

PERSONA

colour spectrum
Go ahead, then, do whatever the hay you like. Believe, or don't. Live correctly and upstandingly, or choose to have a good time and party instead. Be abstinate, or booze it up. We have free will, after all, BUT know that you have been warned by me and possibly many others (I don't know you, I can't say) of the way you should live according to what you would say is just "a book." But just know that you'll feel awful silly (and warm) if Jehovah sends you to a place that's nice and roasty-toasty for, oh, say,...carry the three......eternity. Which is a long time, and there ain't no AC, either. But, I won't, no, can't stop you. But I can tell you to have a good time...while you can, anyway.

Seriously? Are you trolling? I'm just asking, because it seems like you're just spilling out rhetoric to get a rise out of atheists.

First of all, religion does not equal abstinence, and if it does, it's not sincere. An atheist being abstinent out of the morals that he developed without fear of God [or whatever you worship] is far more genuine than being abstinent just because you think you're going to be sent to Hell if you're not being abstinent. Your incoherent argument is exactly that: incoherent.

For example, what's more sincere... someone donating money to a charity out of the kindness of his/her heart, or someone donating money to a charity because he/she thinks that it will boost his/her cool points with God?

In conclusions, if you need a God to be a "moral" person, then you're not being sincere.

If I was running a charity, I wouldn't accept your money. But, hey... who cares, right? What difference does it make?

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
i dont give a **** if there is more atheist than people who believe in religion. i myself do believe in god(yes i am catholic) anyways, the point is that we should let people believe in whatever they want and not let them have the freedom in whatever they want to believe. i may not agree 100% with other religions, but i do deeply respect their beliefs and they have the right to practice whatever they want, whether your christian, muslim, jewish, buddhist, hindu, athiest, ect.
so lets not fight for our differences and just have peace with one another, coexistence is good moth@f@%kers, lol

So know I can't live "correctly and upstandingly" unless I believe in a Bible or a God or a religion? Or more specifically, your Bible or your God or your religion?

I have to be abstinent to be a good person? If that's true, then that would mean you would have to abide by those rules which means you would also have to refrain from intercourse which means you wouldn't have kids which is a common arguement that I beleived you even used agaisnt gay people.

Also, why should I live the way you say I should? I'm not telling you how to live, am I? No, I'm not.

Well, if I go to Hell, maybe Satan will make me his best friend.

And trust me, I will have a good time using my free will to its fullest. I'll use it until the day I die and cease to exist and my body decomposes and nothing else happens to me.
Abstinence in that instance means refraining from alcohol, which I figured you would be able to figure out seeing as how I presented "or booze it up" as the alternative... Silly me, I assumed you knew how to use "context clues." My mistake. And I never attacked gay marriage because gays were unable to procreate...proof that you weren't listening to me. There is really nothing I can say to make you believe "my Bible" (there's only one) or "my God."

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Abstinence in that instance means refraining from alcohol, which I figured you would be able to figure out seeing as how I presented "or booze it up" as the alternative... Silly me, I assumed you knew how to use "context clues." My mistake. And I never attacked gay marriage because gays were unable to procreate...proof that you weren't listening to me. There is really nothing I can say to make you believe "my Bible" (there's only one) or "my God."
Wow, you really know how to use love and understanding to convert em'. Way to speak on jesus's behalf, im sure he would be proud!

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
Well... that IS what he said. But rest assured, it's not what all Christians think. Please don't let this guy form a stereotype of Christians within your mind! We're not all as fundamentalist as he is. My friend, I think differently. In my opinion, if your life was good, full of good deeds, with as little evil as possible, but all you lack is belief in God, that's relatively OK. If it's one simple thing it can easily be fixed. I tell you, if you've lived a good life, full of kindness, you will see heaven. It won't be straight to hell for you. My opinion.
Wow, you really know how to use love and understanding to convert 'em. Way to speak on Jesus's behalf, im sure he would be proud!
And tolerance, and kindness, etc. Yeah, I agree. Converting someone should not be about trying to scare them! I mean, trying to convert someone is... not so nice in today's diverse world, but if you're gonna do it, at least do it right!

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever

Well as afr as I am, and the English language, is concerned, abstinence is refraining from alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. I realize that you were talking about just alcohol, but like I said for me, it doesn't just include alcohol.

Which brings up my point, you aren't allowed to booze it up every once in a while?

But anyways, your posts are becoming to sound more and more like trolling.

Which brings up my point, you aren't allowed to booze it up every once in a while?
Christians are never permitted to do so. Wine occasionally is said to be a good thing, and I have no problem with those who have a glass or two of red wine with friends or when eating out. But drunkenness is never, ever acceptable Biblically, and is forbidden. Christians can drink in moderation occasionally. But not to the point of being drunk.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Christians are never permitted to do so. Wine occasionally is said to be a good thing, and I have no problem with those who have a glass or two of red wine with friends or when eating out. But drunkenness is never, ever acceptable Biblically, and is forbidden. Christians can drink in moderation occasionally. But not to the point of being drunk.

Depending on a variety of factors, you could be drunk with one drink of wine, if its like 6 ounces.

And I guess I didn't mean get drunk (I know it sounded like that) but I meant jsut to hang out with friends and have a few drinks with friends. I mean, i can see why drunkness is forbidden. I promised myself that I won't ever get so drunk that i can't stand.

But anyways, like I said, depending, one glass of wine could get you drunk.

>zEr0<

Psychic Master
I believe there's not much more to say about this...

But I don't think the World "cares" if we are religious or not. For starters, unanimity is not a good thing. Also, our beliefs don't matter, as long as we stay focused on evolution and on the preservation of our habitat. That's what the World needs. Religion influencing human achievements is not even debatable.

Depending on a variety of factors, you could be drunk with one drink of wine, if its like 6 ounces.

And I guess I didn't mean get drunk (I know it sounded like that) but I meant jsut to hang out with friends and have a few drinks with friends. I mean, i can see why drunkness is forbidden. I promised myself that I won't ever get so drunk that i can't stand.

But anyways, like I said, depending, one glass of wine could get you drunk.
If you weigh 65 pounds and after a single glass of wine you take your shirt off and dive off of the table, then don't drink. I don't drink, and have never felt the need nor desire to do so. If you do drink, then drink just enough to enjoy yourself but don't get wasted. You should know about how much that is; but if you don't, and you have too much, just don't make a total fool out of yourself. It really isn't that hard.

Jazzy

Typical
If you weigh 65 pounds and after a single glass of wine you take your shirt off and dive off of the table, then don't drink. I don't drink, and have never felt the need nor desire to do so. If you do drink, then drink just enough to enjoy yourself but don't get wasted. You should know about how much that is; but if you don't, and you have too much, just don't make a total fool out of yourself. It really isn't that hard.

If you haven't been drunk, then don't say you know what being drunk is like.
As it is, it's pretty difficult to not make a total idiot of yourself.

I've been off this thread for a while, I disagree with drinking alcohol, but for no oter reason than the simple facts that it's a toxin in large enough amounts, by the way, that is probably a discussion you want to take to the "Alcohol and drugs" thread since it's a little off topic in here.

But I don't think the World "cares" if we are religious or not. For starters, unanimity is not a good thing. Also, our beliefs don't matter, as long as we stay focused on evolution and on the preservation of our habitat. That's what the World needs. Religion influencing human achievements is not even debatable.

Well put, what we need in these times is to solve current problems and preserve ourselves and the world around us, rather than flaming each other about beliefs that cannot be proven true as of yet.

Jazzy

Typical
Well put, what we need in these times is to solve current problems and preserve ourselves and the world around us, rather than flaming each other about beliefs that cannot be proven true as of yet.

But thats the whole point of the debate forum.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I don't think so. It's not because I think Atheists are bad people. But Atheism itself totally precludes moral law and responsibility. I mean, if our brains are all we are, then we're only the sum of our experiences and genes. Our experiences and genes are determined by our parents and other people and all of their experiences, and so on and so on, until you get to the first life forms on earth. Where and when they arrived and what they were depended upon physics, which depended upon the big bang, and what you finally get down to is absolute determinism and total lack of any will at all.

There's also no meaning to life in Atheism. A lot of people say that the point is to have children and pass on what you've learned to them, but that all comes to nothing. They'll eventually die, and so will their children and so on, and everything will be lost. Happiness and finding a meaning in life would just be evolutionary traits. They wouldn't be a purpose for living, they'd serve a purpose to living.

It would be one thing if Atheism were true, but I don't think it is. Too many things that the scientific community tries to explain but can't (not talking about evolution here)

So what I think is that while there are good, upstanding Atheists, Atheism itself isn't good for a person. I mean, when you get down to it, it offers no hope or reason for living. And Atheists can be just as discriminatory as a religious person (don't like organized religion so much, either), so I don't think lack of religious fervor is really a benefit, either.

Last edited:

Jazzy

Typical
So what I think is that while there are good, upstanding Atheists, Atheism itself isn't good for a person. I mean, when you get down to it, it offers no hope or reason for living. And Atheists can be just as discriminatory as a religious person (don't like organized religion so much, either), so I don't think lack of religious fervor is really a benefit, either.

My reason for living is it kicks the **** out of death.

Fae t'il

.Cute Dementia.
I don't think so. It's not because I think Atheists are bad people. But Atheism itself totally precludes moral law and responsibility. I mean, if our brains are all we are, then we're only the sum of our experiences and genes. Our experiences and genes are determined by our parents and other people and all of their experiences, and so on and so on, until you get to the first life forms on earth. Where and when they arrived and what they were depended upon physics, which depended upon the big bang, and what you finally get down to is absolute determinism and total lack of any will at all.

[...]

Mmm. In my honest opinion, having a religious fervor would be worse to have none. Sure there is meaning to life, however it's also a blind trust and following that could be just as blindly defended and offended. Such as the monkey trials, fundamentalists took offense at Darwin's theory of evolution and banned the teaching of it in the.. state of Tennessee if if I remember correctly. But, all it did was create more controversy and tension because of the fervor of the fundamentalists that they must show everyone that everything in the "good book" was how everthing happened.

Without a fervor, yes there is no definite "meaning to life" given to us, as with most religions it's to prove yourself that you're good enough to either make it to the next life or get in some Special Access club. But, however, it doesn't stop us from making our own meaning. It won't stop someone from loving their family, friends, or living for their work, or aiming for some prosperous future, or even general well-being of all. Which is my only problem with most organized religions as they usually put out the message that you either conform to what they say, or your moral fibers are equivalent to that of a hyena.

Though, in my eyes, organized religion was mainly set in place for controlling the masses in superstitious times when/where it was easily to do so without them rebelling. Will have to admit that it worked great for the first couple hundred to thousand years or so, even though the morale of using morals to control people is rather questionable.

Oh, I hope this isn't seen as a reply directly to your post. It was just the reason of thoughts and not aimed at you. Sorry if it is seen that way at all. :)

But thats the whole point of the debate forum.

I was referring to the world in general(wars on religion, hate crimes, etc.)

There's also no meaning to life in Atheism. A lot of people say that the point is to have children and pass on what you've learned to them, but that all comes to nothing. They'll eventually die, and so will their children and so on, and everything will be lost. Happiness and finding a meaning in life would just be evolutionary traits. They wouldn't be a purpose for living, they'd serve a purpose to living.

I disagree, simply look at the numerous atheists in this forum, and in any place, you do not see them killing themselves or preaching hopelessness and the pointlessness of this life, it is because they don't believe in anyhing after this life the reason why they do the contrary, they make the most out of it, some of them are quite pessimist, I admit, but not the majority, the great majority simply dedicate themselves to living their life to the fullest.
It would be one thing if Atheism were true, but I don't think it is. Too many things that the scientific community tries to explain but can't (not talking about evolution here)

I agree with the fact that the physical sciences don't cover all phenomenons, and some CAN be pessimist and persuasive, as I just entioned, but it is due to...well, their pessimism, I don't think atheism iteslf can be attributed to such traits and categorized as "bad for someone", as I explained, most atheists see their belief of nothing after death as the reason to live.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Atheism itself isn't good for a person. I mean, when you get down to it, it offers no hope or reason for living.
This is absolutely silly. Has no one ever heard of creating their own damn reason?

Honestly if you need a God to have a reason to live you're worse than the said atheist.

Bug Master

Bug Catcher
This is absolutely silly. Has no one ever heard of creating their own damn reason?

Honestly if you need a God to have a reason to live you're worse than the said atheist.

Well you're wrong about that very ignorant claim. hmm, I am athiest or agnostic, or whatever. I do not believe in god, although it is all a posibility. I can't prove that their isn't yet nobody can prove that their is. I think that believing in something, a god or some sort, gives a person hope. and infact that is a very good thing, hope brings people together. a persons arrogance and ignorance is what tears us apart. so in theory religion is both good and bad.