• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does the world need more Atheist?

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Da rant

Oh nonononono! no more atheists!
It's like they don't want God forced upon them, and yet, they force no God apon us christians and catholics. We can't have God in in school anymore because they don't want their childern exposed to God!
Geez, i despise them outrageous atheists!!!!!

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
It's like they don't want God forced upon them, and yet, they force no God apon us christians and catholics. We can't have God in in school anymore because they don't want their childern exposed to God!

You're right. it's the atheist's fault that there is no God in public schools anymore. it's not any of the religions that believe in different Gods, nope not at all. its the atheist because they don't believe in God.

Not to mention, I've rarely ever heard of atheists tryong to convert people. Now, in my lifetime (I'm still a teenager) we've had hundreds of Christians and Muslims mostly come to our door and try to convert us. I will admit, we have had some atheists, but not nearly as many as Chrisitans or muslims.

So please, before you start spewing crap, think about what you say, and don't put all the blame on atheists simply because you don't agree with them. Its not (entirely) their fault that the world isn't what you wanted.

Marzillius

YES the word needs more atheism. Religion seriously needs to die.

Religion (currently) contributes nothing to humanity than jihad, suffering, deaths and flame wars. I will never support an ideology that does nothing than making people delusional and blind. Down with religion!

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Obvious troll is obvious

YES the word needs more atheism. Religion seriously needs to die.

Religion (currently) contributes nothing to humanity than jihad, suffering, deaths and flame wars. I will never support an ideology that does nothing than making people delusional and blind. Down with religion!
*Cracks knuckles

As sure as I am that you're another useless troll, I haven't done much in this thread for a while so I reckon I might as well take you out for a good old fashioned Timwhomping (That's where Tim does the whomping and not vice-verca, k?)

So religion constitutes nothing more than jihad and suffering eh? Well then, why not ask some of the fine, religious members of this site if that's true for them or not. Because I'm friends with many religious people who obviously would disagree with you, as such on a microcosmic scale you cannot possibly be correct, as religious people themselves manage to practice their faith without it causing them and others "suffering".

Now on a larger scale, whilst there are major downsides and flaws with religion and religious societies, many of these are more likely caused by the prevailing economic climates of the regions wherein they occur. Do you honestly think that jihad would be as popular with middle-eastern countries if they had more stable economies? If they had a higher standard of living? A more certain and prosperous future? The problem is not religion itself, it is the society that causes the fundamentalist beleif with ones religion. If your faith is all you have to cling to then it will cause a more fundamental, less interpretive viewpoint on it. That is why there manage to be so many moderates from religion in the world, because not everyone is a fundamentalist whether by choice or circumstance.

As for an ideology that makes people delusional or blind, I'll bring up an argument I have used in the past and will continue to use as long as people like you keep spouting the same ********. Rationalism, that branch of philosophical thought dealing with reasoned thought and logical bases was popularised, and arguably invented by Rene Descartes in his Meditations. Descartes was a Christian who wrote the meditations in an attempt to prove the existence of God. As history will admit, he failed but the ideas were sound and logically reasoned. Hardly blind and delusional if you ask me.

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
Oh, I've no issues with people being religious and believing in God. They can believe whatever nonsense they want, but as soon as they start becoming dangerous, that's a problem. Most religious people are fine and I'll get along well with them as much as anyone else. But if you're going off to kill doctors at abortion clinics and holding anti-gay rallies, being religious becomes quite an undesirable trait.

Also, I don't like religion to obscure scientific truth. Otherwise, the world does not need more atheism, people just needs to look at facts over faith sometimes. This does mean I would prefer faith schools not to exist, but what can you do when the believers are putting their faith in an ancient book written by people with little to no scientific understanding of the world? What has been actually become the accepted scientific theory should be taught in schools, not other, less likely possibilities.

But aside from those niggles I have with organised religion, no, I do not think the world needs more atheists anymore than it needs more people of a certain race or sexuality.

SteelMetagross

Certified Trainer
Personally I think people should just stop fighting over it, It dosn't matter what religion you are. I'm a christian but I have a friend that says he doesn't belive in a god but I'm not going to shun him for it. I'll admit I tried to get him to change but I'm not going to "force" him to change.

in other words the world just needs to be more tolerent of other people.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
If the religious extremists leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.

But if they start banging down the doors demanding an end to "dangerous free speech" and "blasphemous sciences", I guess I'll bring out the long, pointy rod of hard logic.

Summary: I'm fine with religious people, just stay out of my personal rights.

Briankelly130

It's not whether you're religious or not, the people who annoy me are the extremists on both sides, you have the christian fundies who think that if you're gay and don't follow the bible to a T then you're going to hell, on the other side you have the atheist extremists who think that religion is the reason for everything bad in the world and people who believe in god are not logical and are mentally ill, i don't care what you are but don't shove your opinions in my face and tell me you're better

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I'm an atheist.

Instead of whining about how everyone needs to accept everyone else's religion, I'll just say that I don't pay attention in Sunday School.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
I don't even understand why theists try anymore. They've tried and tried to convert people for several years, and with little success. They've beenc ramming their teachings down on our throats since the 20s when the Scopes Trial took place. They should realize one day that there are actually more important things than the religion you or others believe in.

Marzillius

Well, I think that religious people have the right to exist. Private persons can be as delusional as they want to, I don't care. However, religious organizations needs to be stopped. Even the catholic church. The Catholic church is openly and effectivly working against the one, single cure against AIDS: the condom. Religion is also actively interfiering with science. Take Bush for example, he was a christian fundamentalist and he was close to accepting teaching of Intelligent Design in schools and banned stemcell reserch.

But like I said, religious people can be as delusional as they want to, aslong as they don't intervene with science and politics.

Jazzy

Typical
If you have a better cure for aids I'd like to hear it. As it stands, there is no cure and prevention seems like a good idea. The church is just doing their best, going by what their faith tells them.

Damn aids, but what can you do?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
They aren't doing their best when condoms and sex education *prove* to reduce the limit.

They aren't helping by making it worse when poor Catholic countries have the *worst* AIDS rate usually.

christiandeath77

You gotta crush em'.
I dont think about religion.I dont think it's our place to say what is creation because creation is beyond us.It's a very "human" characteristic to find reason in something, but that's somethign beyond our capabilities.

christiandeath77

You gotta crush em'.
On another note, Atheists are just as bad as Christians.They idealize a world where everyone thinks just like them as well.They still make friction.And it's not such a bad thing for people to belive in something.For some people who suffer, God is the one thing tat makes it worth while.So Why would you want to take it away from them?

Peace in itself is a evil idea.If you want the world to think the same, you have to take away individuality.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
christiandeath77]They idealize a world where everyone thinks just like them as well.
Even if Atheists can be condescending to theists, I doubt they really idealized a world *filled* with Atheists.

randomspot555

I don't even understand why theists try anymore. They've tried and tried to convert people for several years, and with little success.

Little success?

The vast majority of the world's people are members of a religion. Islam and Christianity (more specifically, Catholicism) are spreading like wild fire in the continent of Africa. And every week or so you can find a newspaper article or television news segment about how church attendence is up in the US due to the economy.

So yeah, if you consider...oh, say, 95% of the world being religious "little success", then I guess you could call it that.

The Catholic church is openly and effectivly working against the one, single cure against AIDS: the condom.

Do you know what a "cure" is? It's something that makes the disease, infection, or injury go away. A condom doesn't even held the individual manage the disease. It only helps prevent the spread through sexual contact, assuming it's used correctly.

Take Bush for example, he was a christian fundamentalist and he was close to accepting teaching of Intelligent Design in schools and banned stemcell reserch.

Please point to a bill that former President Bush pushed for in Congress that pushed for Intelligent Design being taught in schools. That's beyond the fact that actually trying to enforce that bill when schools are run by local districts rather than state and federal government...well, it sounds like you're just pulling something out of thin air.

Last edited:

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Little success?

The vast majority of the world's people are members of a religion. Islam and Christianity (more specifically, Catholicism) are spreading like wild fire in the continent of Africa. And every week or so you can find a newspaper article or television news segment about how church attendence is up in the US due to the economy.

So yeah, if you consider...oh, say, 95% of the world being religious "little success", then I guess you could call it that.

You make it sound as if 95% of the population was converted. I disagree on that. I never said that theism didn't encompass most of the population. besides, by what you said, most of those theists were either born into religious families, live somewhere were they have archaic laws sayignt hey have to believe something, or found religion ont heir own.

You even said, church attendance in the US was up because of the economy. People are freaking out, and they find that the most comforting place to turn to is religion. They weren't covnerted by others, they went by themselves.

Last edited: