• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this look alright?

I've tried to compose a balanced team to be used for competitive play, please let me know what you think of it!

Smeargle w. Focus Sash
Timid w. 80HP /96Def /80SpD /252 Spe

-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass
-Spore
-Magic Coat

Smeargle is leading the team, and his moveset is pretty straight forward, if the opponent leads with something that can 1HKO him, i'll just set up a shell smash while hanging on to my Focus Sash, and then Baton Pass out to one of the more offensive pokemon. If i run into something that might be carrying Taunt, I'll throw up magic coat before setting up, and I've also brought in Spore because a 100% hit Sleep move is a pretty good utility to have on a team, even if it's on a fragile lead such as Smeargle.

Scizor w. Choice Band
Adamant w. 248HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef

-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Pursuit

This is the guy that is going to clean up after Smeargle has passed the baton. U-turn does loads of damage on a CB Scizor, and Bullet Punch is a priority move which is good to have for revenge killing or 1HKOing fragile sweepers. Brick Break is on there for type coverage and for the massive damage it does, with the added utility of knocking down barriers set up by my opponent. Lastly there's Pursuit to damage pokemon switching out.

Gengar w. Black Sludge
Timid w. 252 SpA / 252Spd / 4HP

-Disable
-Substitute
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball

Gengar will deal with those Pokemon that Scizor can't, which will often be those who have higher Defenses and Special Defenses. The offensive moves are Shadow Ball, which is sort of self explanatory, and Sludge Bomb which both has a poison chance, and is also super effective against Fairies, which is a coverage i was lacking.

Volcarona w. Lum Berry
Modest w. 252SpA 4SpD 252Spd

-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance
-Hidden Power Ice/Dragon

The last Sweeper on my team is Volcarona, I mainly chose it because i needed some Fire coverage to deal with the massively popular steel types. Quiver Dance is a great stat booster, and Bug Buzz is good to deal with mons like Mega Gengar, who is extremely hard to deal with. The last move was reserved for Hidden Power Ice for dragon coverage, but the only HP i could get on it was Dragon, which is not too bad anyway.

Gliscor w. Toxic Orb
Impish w. 244Hp 252 Def 12 Spe

-Taunt
-Fling
-Acrobatics
-Earthquake

Gliscor acts as an offensive wall on the team, he has Taunt for the utility it brings dealing with pokemon trying to set up, and also it has the useful ability Poison Heal which will heal it when it's poisoned. For offensive moves I chose to go with Fling over Toxic, both because it damages the target, and also for the 100% accuracy. Acrobatics becomes a really powerful flying type move once the opponent has been poisoned, and Earthquake is devastating to a lot of fragile Sweepers.

Rotom-W w. Leftovers
Calm w. 248HP/18SpA /232 SpD

-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split

For my special wall I chose Rotom-W because i didn't have anything on the team that could properly deal with water/fire pokemon, and Rotom does both. Hydro Pump will decimate any fire type, and I've chosen Volt Switch over the other electric moves because it does decent damage if the opponent is weak to it, and also lets me keep some momentum on the team. Will-o-Wisp is great for wall breaking, and Pain Split is just there for recovery.

Any tips or ideas are welcome!

*Cough* No Mega Scizor?

Perhaps it is because Choice Band Scizor does more for the team? Just hazarding a guess.

Looking at your team, you have no hazard control and a team that is fairly SR weak. To preserve the balanced nature of your team, I suggest replacing Rotom-W for a support Starmie. Starmie still performs similar roles to Rotom-W, and can handle a Talonflame that isn't at +2. It gives you a method of Spinning while still putting up some offensive pressure.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spe
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock (or other coverage move)

The one problem I see here is a major Greninja weakness too, so I'd say make Gengar a Choice Scarf or Mega set. If you go Mega you can keep the same spread but maybe with Focus Blast over Disable. If you go Scarfed run Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Miss/Trick (if you're playing Pokebank, if not you can try for a speedy Destiny Bond set)

Overall looks like a good team; good luck playing XY!

Perhaps it is because Choice Band Scizor does more for the team? Just hazarding a guess.

Looking at your team, you have no hazard control and a team that is fairly SR weak. To preserve the balanced nature of your team, I suggest replacing Rotom-W for a support Starmie. Starmie still performs similar roles to Rotom-W, and can handle a Talonflame that isn't at +2. It gives you a method of Spinning while still putting up some offensive pressure.

Starmie w. Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spe
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock (or other coverage move)

The one problem I see here is a major Greninja weakness too, so I'd say make Gengar a Choice Scarf or Mega set. If you go Mega you can keep the same spread but maybe with Focus Blast over Disable. If you go Scarfed run Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Miss/Trick (if you're playing Pokebank, if not you can try for a speedy Destiny Bond set)

Overall looks like a good team; good luck playing XY!

Thanks for the advice. I've been testing this team on Pokemon Showdown, and so far I've found it to work great, currently the Disable on Gengar works perfectly, since i can lock down both king's shield aegislash and pokemon with only one dedicated attacking move pretty easily. So i think I'm keeping him as he is. As for Scizor, I've found that once he gets a hit in, especially from a baton pass, he's golden, but as a Choice Banded one he's somewhat fragile and i often have to switch him out straight away after killing something because I'm locked to something like pursuit. So i might change him to mega Scizor instead.

Starmie sounds like a good idea, my Volca gets absolutely demolished by SR, I've had a Starmie on my team before, but i found it to be way too fragile for me, but I've never tried a bulky set, so i might test it out. Right now I've had problems with breaking certain walls, however, and Will-o-Wisp really helped me out there on Rotom. So do you perhaps have another idea for that if i run with Starmie instead?

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Baton Passing to a Choiced poke doesn't seem like the best idea... Mega Scizor would be good to fix this, as it also has increased bulk to stick around longer. On Volcarona, Hidden Power Rock is still its best coverage, since most Dragons are part Flying and it can now beat Fire types more easily. For Smeargle, better watch out if the opponent has a Grass type, most likely they'll lead with it upon seeing a Smeargle. In case of Amoonguss, setting up won't do much, due to Clear Smog. Lead with Volcarona then and you can sweep?