• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Doesn't suck when you realize the Pokemon you love stink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolley

Well, with the right stragety you can beat a team of ubers with a Magikarp, look on youtube, its been done.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Pachirisu has Pick-up, and thus it is always useful to carry around. Anyway, if a pokemon is weak but has Endeavor, it's not that bad--especially if it resists hail or sand. HM pokemon are useful too. And I'm sure that any pokemon can dominate in a contest (paying no mind to Smeargle who can beat anything). Quilava has Typhlosion: use it. As for Magcargo, he has some decent stats if he has sand support.

As for some other pokemon like Charizard, Stealth Rock really cuts down the number of times they can switch it, and thus the number of sets they can use. Just send him in on a faint against a slow opponent and Roost (not saying that it's a good strategy or the way to use it, just that it's the most updated, forced way to do so).

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I use my favourite Pokémon, but I train them hard now. For example, I'm EV training a Roserade. I'm gonna make sure it has perfect IVs in the stats I want, a great moveset, the right nature etc. You can use your favourites, you just have to put the extra effort in. (I think Roserade's UU or NU)

League

Master Abra Catcher
Roserade is decent, just needs a good Hidden Power. Like I said elsewhere, some pokemon are far more viable on Shoddy, due to a) IV's/EV's being such an easy thing, and, b) some pokemon being so common (partly due to a)).

1dev13

Has all the starters
My favorite Pokemon is Torchic, but I like the evolutions also because, if you don't evolve Torchic, you don't have that great of attacks...

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Yes... most bugpokemon stink and I like them :(

Kaori

~Specialized~
Well some say that grass types are very weak but I disagree. I like them very much and sure some are a bit weak but you could always EV train and use the right strageties to prove they are strong.

electivirus92

experienced trainer
well i use my personal faves

togekiss

moltres

infernape

torterra

empoleon and staraptor (WIN)

yup my diamond guys and youtube celebs

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I've always liked Ampharos (I had one in Gold), but learned in the Battle Frontier in Emerald that it can't always cut it against Pokémon of the same level. If only it was faster...

serebiifreak

...BRING IT!!!
I hate it when that happens. I thought the pokemon I use it against a trainer and it gets pwned easily.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
i think this was certainly viable in the first few generations where some pokemon often had very shallow and/or lacking movepools e.g. dewgong. a good example is the ever elusive sneasel in gen2. as soon as i saw my rival packing one i had to find out where to get one. when i finally do i see it barely had any moves that suited it's high attack and it went down pretty easily. now in gen 4 with all the tier malarkey and physical/special split, a lot of previously unusable pokes have become viable in their own right i.e. sneasel and weavile, so in my opinion this sort of problem isn't as common anymore. of course when you bring competitive battling into the equation a lot of pokemon seem to pale in comparison to a lot of others.

i totally agree with one of the previous posters who said that some of the slick looking pokes are often quite bad or lacking in power, when their uglier counterparts can tear things to pieces.

encas

Come to me...
You can't just bring any pkmn into a battle and think that just because they're your favorite you have a chance to win. Pokemon isn't a game of underdogs triumphing, it's about numbers.

True, but IMO that's why tiers exist.

As for me, a lot of my favorites suck or are at least somewhat lackluster. Let's see...Phione, Entei, Armaldo, Xatu, Delcatty...those are just from the top of my head.

And if you a Pokemon that much, feel free to use it! Like I said, tiers exist to keep the game balanced. So bring out you Ledian, Delcatty, and Delibird; they may be horrid compared to others, but they have their place too!

Concept

Führer of Fun
I had this moment when using Kricketune in diamond. I used it once in the Elite four, where it lost mano a mano against Flints Lopunny (fire punch spam vs brick break spam). Then when I reached Cynthia, it revenge killed Spiritomb (who'd taken down my two best pokes Kadabra and Weaville, and was at half when I bought Kricketune out), then followed it up by defeating Milotic mano a mano immediately after.

Alloute

Not Banned
No, why would you love data and pixels in the first place?

Don't you have friends?

I really couldn't care less, all the Pokemon I train are winners.

diamond trainer

it really doesnt matter and besides if you take the time to train them correctly your favorites would actually be pretty decent. Ive fought with alot of my favorite and most of them turned out good.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Kricketune is the one pokemon who can put a pokemon to sleep and False Swipe, unless you count maybe Breloom or Parasect. But hey, the cricket is far more accessible. If it's useable, use it, and if it's likeable, like it. No need to put something where it doesn't belong. Some are find just sitting in your party, some are incredibly useful, some are battle-able with.

And alot of pokemon are far more competitive than people think. Cleffa, for goodness's sake, can trade even (slightly pulling up before the revenge sets in) with a pokemon.

80's Rocker

Fire Tamer
Just use your favorites anyway. I use my favorites in a team and as long as you strategise right you can win. My favorite its Charizard that is most of the time outclassed by Infernape, but I use Charizard anyway because its alot mor fun to try and win with what you want then with what everyone else is using..

coolminun

Banned
yeah it does. I mean, i can use minun for baton passing, but I don't like it. I believe in his offensive powers and I refuse to utilize him only as a supporter.

Virtuos

Female Wobbuffet???
well, battling against ubers with those so-called 'lack-lustered' pokemon and winning makes me wanna rage out of joy. lol, ubers < mid evos

espeon13x

Espeon Trainer
i use my favorites such as my espeon, he may not be the strongest psychic pokemon i have ( i also have a high level azelf) but i love espeons always have always will, and im going to have a ninetails in my party i know hes not the strongest but ninetalis are sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.