• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dogasu's Podcast; Sludge Attack Episode 1

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
My friend and former mod, Dogasu, decided to do a podcast recently and requested my input for it. This podcast, Sludge Attack Episode 1, focuses on the problem of Pokémon Pronounciation and how they vary depending on region and first influence.

So I figured I would post here with a link to the podcast. It's a 40MB MP3 so it's not too big

MegaUpload Link
RapidShare Link

Perhaps it will awaken some further thought into pronounciations for all of you.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Serebii Joe and Dogasu, doing a podcast? Dude you need to do this more, this is a potential epic win in the making.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Hey, just gave the podcast a listen and found it very interesting, especially as I'm also a Brit and I very seldom discuss pokemon aloud so I usually just say them in my head and I'm often surprised by pronunciations when they come up on the show. I still come undone with the way the show pronounces Gligar and Gliscor (I swear Gligar was pronounced differently in the 4Kids days)- was curious about whether they would come up.

Thriller

Its almost time
I found this surprising, I kinda thought Serebii and Dogasu weren't on speaking terms, what with his sudden departure and the semi-insulting blurbs he'd put in on his website and various behavior I've seen of him at BMGF, but ah well, good to see the two working together. When I get my Mac back, or unless someone uploaded it on Youtube, I'll check it out.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
aww, I was hoping Dogasu would've mentioned a Rayquaza-pronunciation thread I made at Bulbagarden, which I referred her to in a visitor message. I personally concluded that Rayquaza's western pronunciation should've been "Reh-kuh-zuh" (because even if you look at how it's spelled, there are some instances of "qu" just making a "k" sound.... Aztec terminology, for instance). That'd probably make the most sense with the spelling while still keeping close to the Japanese pronunciation.

abiram2

Banned
"Arceus" is obviously the most highly debated name in the world of Pokémon right now, due to the recent release of the Pokémon in the world very recently. I like to think that Arceus would be pronounced "AR-SOOS", and I am rather adamant with my stance. I fully believe that their intention was a Zeus-based concept. It was mentioned that a Latin-based possibility could exist, but I'm not too sure of this. Quite possible, of course, but I don't think GF thinks that far into their names. They, along with Nintendo of America, have to align with their constituents: the children. You can't have something too complicated for a child so as to keep their attention. It won't work. They want to make money, and that's all they are there for, and to figure out how to do it as efficiently as possible. It's pretty obvious why I stand by my pronunciation. "AR-" being a reference to a higher being or higher power, along with "SOOS" being a reference to Zeus, the "king", if you will, of all Greek gods, which are the most famous in the world, so it would only be natural why GF would pick up "-ceus" first. And of course, the natural tongue of a human creates a "ss" sound, as in the letter C, when placed after the "r". Try it. Try to say "AR-ZOOS". It sounds just like "AR-SOOS". This is the concept that occurs in Spanish, as well, for those that are familiar.

Raikou is very simple for me. I believe it to be "RAI-KO^". (If you didn't catch that, a circonflex over the O to make it harder than normal.) "Rai-", obviously tracing back to the Japanese word for “lightning”, "rai". This makes ABSOLUTE PERFECT sense, as Raikou is an Electric-type, and the GF-proclaimed spirit of lightning. I have heard it pronounced "RAI-KOO" and, like Serebii, “RAI-COW”. I think the former is a mispronunciation on their part, as I believe the u at the end of Raikou to be the optional u that can be placed in front the “o” in many Japanese words, i.e. “Shinichirou”, “Shindou”, “Touya”, etc. (I believe the option changes when the word is Romanized, i.e. “Shinichiro”, “Shindo”, “Toya”, etc. “RAI-COW” I just think might come from the accents with which people speak, but as with Serebii, I have also heard this elsewhere.
=======================
support shapewear
Discount replica watches