• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Doki Doki Literature Club Discussion

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
A place to discuss the wildly popular psych horror game (that i got into 2 days ago), Doki Doki Literature Club (or DDLC).

Remember, Natsuki is best girl, but Monika is forever.

Teravolt

First question: What do you all think of DDLC’s portrayal of mental illness? I won’t answer this right away, since I’ll be writing a short essay on this topic.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Teravolt

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I must say the game is incredibly well made from a technical standpoint, being able to operate according to the adding and removing of actual files on a computer.

From a storytelling standpoint, I don't really like how it depicts mental illness as something to be horrified by. I appreciate the warning at the beginning of the game for those who may be triggered by the game's imagery, but its story nonetheless fails to showcase the seriousness of depression and suicide, demoting it to mere shock factor to advance the game's plot.

Teravolt

I must say the game is incredibly well made from a technical standpoint, being able to operate according to the adding and removing of actual files on a computer.

From a storytelling standpoint, I don't really like how it depicts mental illness as something to be horrified by. I appreciate the warning at the beginning of the game for those who may be triggered by the game's imagery, but its story nonetheless fails to showcase the seriousness of depression and suicide, demoting it to mere shock factor to advance the game's plot.
*sorry for the late reply, for some reason, this thread was blocked by a content filter*

Personally, I didn’t get that vibe from the story at all, although I can tell where you’re coming from. As I struggle with depression and anxiety myself, I found the plights of the characters (especially Sayori) relatable. I think the game did a good job at exploring those things, particularly in the side stories found in DDLC+. It is a horror game, so the glitches and scary things would have been expected. The girls struggled with things before Monika screwed them up (Sayori’s depression, Yuri’s obsession with knives and MC, Natsuki’s abusive father), Monika just made things worse.

Teravolt

Question: Who’s you all’s favorite Doki? I’m partial to Natsuki (because she’s cute and has a similar-ish personality to Ritsu from K-ON! and Kyoko from Madoka Magica), and Monika (because I’m lonely, and she’s pretty).