1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by ~Water Lucario~, Jun 25, 2010.

1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

You're giving the user in question far, far too much credit.

2. Skiks

Skiks MUCH RESPECT

Dude. Bad Marketing doesn't give me any reason to like a game any less or more. It's just bad marketing. So who really cares if someone points that out?

3. TicoPokemonMaster

TicoPokemonMaster Well-Known Member

I am still not spoiling myself on the gameplay, levels, or the somewhat of a story, but I have spoiled myself with some of the music and I love it. I love how retro and the japanese composer gave all the music a jungle like feel. Especially the fear factory song.

4. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

I just got the game today and I love it so much so that lost track of time. Retro studio did a great work with the game.

5. Buizelster

Buizelster Well-Known Member

I really liked the game. Even without the kremlins and the other kongs. Though I do hope they bring them back in at some point.

6. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

7. [MaNiAc]

[MaNiAc] Amature Trainer

DK Returns has got me overly excited with its release! Now I am obligating myseld to buy a Wii to re-live those days of DK Country...

8. Pikasaur

Pikasaur Putting up a Fight

just got this game for christmas and right now i have no idea why i wanted it.

i say this due to the fact that i just tried level 1-k and lost 50 of my 62 lives, and i didnt even beat it or even find the last puzzle piece

i quit the level and used the 400 banana coins i got from the level and got my self upto 70 lives.

sucks that i'll never see the art that unlocks with the puzzle pieces of the "k" levels but what can i do?

almost as bad as me never beatting DKC2 because of the gater jumping in lava world. at least i dont need level 1-k to get to the final boss.

9. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

I just recently go the game. My opinion on it is mixed, I like the level desgin so far, but the controls feel a little off. The jumping feels a little floaty and the motion controls feel tacked on. I hatving to shake the wii-mote to roll. Hopefully I will get used to the controls, because I want to like this game.

10. TicoPokemonMaster

yesterday I defeated Mugly the first boss. I love the jungle world. My favorite levels are Jungle Hijinxs, King of Cling, Tree top bop, Canopy Canyon, and Crazy Kart. Mugly is a little tough bugger for being the first boss, I lost four lifes before I was able to beat him up. Then I beat the pulp out of Kalimba ( The tiki who tried to hipnotise DK) . The first two levels of the Beach world are interesting especially since the beach, to my knowledge, was never a world that was covered in the other DKC games.

11. TicoPokemonMaster

yesterday I defeated Mugly the first boss. I love the jungle world. My favorite levels are Jungle Hijinxs, King of Cling, Tree top bop, Canopy Canyon, and Crazy Kart. Mugly is a little tough bugger for being the first boss, I lost four lifes before I was able to beat him up. Then I beat the pulp out of Kalimba ( The tiki who tried to hipnotise DK) . The first two levels of the Beach world are interesting especially since the beach, to my knowledge, was never a world that was covered in the other DKC games.

12. yoshi1990

yoshi1990 Yoshi Trainer

The last level in the beach world is my favorite level in that world. All my favorite levels are mine cart levels. The last mine cart level in the game is epic.

13. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

How could we forget...then there's the precision required. It was so hard but awesome in that way!

14. I've obtained all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces, not going to bother with Time Trial or Mirror Mode though, I doubt I'll be able to do it.

15. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Got this game for Christmas, and am loving it. Except for when I get so mad at it (GOD DAMN YOU K LEVELS)

The game is a lot harder than I thought it would be, in general. But it's more often than not a fun hard. More often. The K levels are just plain ridiculous (although 2-K and 3-K weren't too bad in comparison), and the mine cart levels have their own problems.

I played a little co-op the other day. It was...interesting. Not what I thought it would be like, but that may have just been because the people I was playing with haven't played the game before then.

I've been making a point to collect all the puzzle pieces & KONG letters, though I still need to backtrack a bit. Some of these are just ridiculous! And yet I will still do them because I love stupid concept art and levels that hate me.

I am very glad the Time Trials don't count towards unlocking any of the images, music, or dioramas. Do they even count towards percentage? These things are tough, requiring no mistakes and a near memorization of the level. Also precise roll jumping. I think the bosses in particular would require a good deal of luck in what attacks they do.

Speaking of, I really like waggle to roll. Maybe I'm just weird, but I have yet to have a problem with it, and it feels more natural then hitting a button (I was never very good at roll jumping in DKC). I guess it could have been put onto the Z, B, or maybe C button, but eh

16. TicoPokemonMaster

SnowyArticuno I haven't gotten past 1-k, from what your saying its only going to get worse.

Almost done with the Beach World. My favorite levels are Popping planks, sloppy sands, Blowhole bound, Cannon Cluster, Stormy shore, and tidal terror.

I had some trouble with Cannon Cluster especially at the end where like 100 cannon balls are shot at you all at once. Not even the kong roll helped. This game is full of surprises I thought that Squiddicus was the boss. But I love his level. I haven't beaten Tidal Terror. But I am really enjoying the crashing tidal waves.

The barrel jet level was alittle annoying for me. I didn't get the hang of it that quickly and then the fire that was shot by the pirate ship always got me.

here to more memorable game play

17. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Better get used to the Rocket Barrel, it pops up several times. I really liked those levels, with one notable exception.

Anyway, I beat the game last night! It was a very good game, odd difficulty aside. The boss was interesting, especially the prelude.
    Afterwords, I beat the final K level and it was oddly easy compared to the previous 7. I mean I still died a bunch, but...

I've only got the Golden Temple left at this point, though I tried it out last night. It's hilarious, but no joke it seems.
    I'm not sure if I'm going to go back and nab those puzzle pieces I missed in worlds 6, 7, & 8. Maybe another time.

18. TicoPokemonMaster

I hate love the scuvry crew. :p I hate them for how long it took me to defeat them. but love them for their dancing to the beat.

The Ruins are some tough cookies for levels. I remember being in World 3 in New Super Mario Bros and it was getting harder. but the ruins take difficulty to the next level. I love hearing the Voices of the Ruins music play in the first and second levels ( the only ones I have beat.) Mast blast reminds me so much of Ganplank galleon, it makes me wish that the music plays. I have read that there are suppose to be crocodile statues still present but I haven't noticed it. Is it true or was that a rumor.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  19. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

Tried playing the game again and managed to get used to the controls. Its a good game but kind of overhyped. (which is understandable since there haven't been any high profile DK games in over a decade, wouldn't really call the bongo controlled game or king of swing high profile)

20. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

I finished up the loose ends the other day.

Golden Temple was really great, it's just a shame there wasn't a proper world to go with it. The concept art showed they had a lot of interesting ideas of what to do.
    I really love all the concept art, a shame I'm never ever doing Mirror mode so I can't see the remainder. The levels are hard enough as-is, much less without Diddy, with just one health. I only used items once or twice (beyond Squaks, I mean), so that isn't a big ordeal.

I kind of wonder if they had a "classic" mode planned at one point. Where in you and diddy only have one hit each and such. I certainly got that feeling from the one Mirror stage I played.

Anyway, over all I loved the game even if it did infuriate me at several spots. I enjoyed it more then DKC 1 & 2, at least (and those weren't bad games by any means). I think this one has a lot more personality and charm, thanks to the new art style and Retro's fantastic attention to details, the entire game is just so nice to look at. I also think the move away from K. Rool helped matters; the kremlings never really stood out or interested me.

Although it would be interesting to see what Retro could do with them in a sequel.