• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Out of all the titles announced at E3, Donkey Kong Country Returns has me the most excited. I grew up with the original trilogy on the SNES and I've always dreamed of a new instalment.

So opinions?

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I was also really excited when I saw this game. It looks like it's going to be great. I have a feeling that this game will return the current Donkey Kong to his roots, similar to what New Super Mario Bros. did for Mario.

Cobalt_Latios

Let's put it this way: Retro Studios is doing this, and from what I've read, it seems they're relearning how to do things. Which is actually a good thing. Changes will be made here and there, but apparently for the betterment of things.

Again, the instant I heard Retro Studios was doing this, I knew it was going to be good.

C_L

Giovanni

Long lost trainer
one thing i dont like about this game is that its side scrolling, I had enough of side scrollin dk games, but well then, guess i have to try this one. I grew up with dk but never played the snes games, with that kind of experience,I hope its not short!!

BCVM22

I grew up with dk but never played the snes games, with that kind of experience,I hope its not short!!

How in the name of Miyamoto's upended tea table can you claim to have "had enough of side scrollin dk games" when you've never played the games that define the concept of "side scrollin dk games"? It's like claiming you've had enough of 3D Zelda titles without having touched Ocarina, Majora or Wind Waker.

Vipsoccermaster

Donkey Kong Country Returns should be interesting, however, I don't think the Kremlings and K.Rool will appear. So it may not have the same feel.

Wat.
Donkey Kong Country Returns should be interesting, however, I don't think the Kremlings and K.Rool will appear. So it may not have the same feel.

Its been confirmed they don't, as well as no underwater levels.

Giovanni

Long lost trainer
I knew that the snes games were side scrolling,and the recent dk ds games were side scrolling too,im saying it better be long, cuz i dont like short dk games.

as of an interview, king k rool or kremlings wont make an appearance in the game.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
When/where was that confirmed?
http://kotaku.com/5572645/their-orders-are-to-make-a-better-donkey-kong-country?skyline=true&s=i

I think that's sort of a shame, given how underwater stages were so iconic in the original trilogy, but the game still sounds phenomenal. No Kremlings is something I'm less miffed about, though, especially since Jungle Beat threw them out already (a time when I got all my moaning out so that I'm basically desensitized now; not to mention I didn't care for Jungle Beat in general). Also, I think the enemies we've seen so far look a lot more flavorful than Jungle Beat's enemies, especially that octopus.

A lot of people here are aware that DKC2 just very well be my favorite game ever, and the other two Country titles also hold a special place in my heart. With Rare long out of the picture, Retro is a company I have full faith in given their track record. The fact that they actually went out of their way to not only study the original trilogy, but the original Land trilogy on Game Boy, just to learn the stage design is marvelous.

Jimmy Fallon demonstrated the game last night with Reggie, but it was unfortunately brief.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Donkey Kong Country Returns on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

Jimmy: "Last time I played this was on Nintendo 64."
Reggie: "Actually, we released three different versions for Super Nintendo."

Jimmy: "How do you jump?"
Reggie: "You press on the A button."

Jimmy: "I can jump on your back, right?" (Jumps on Reggie's actual back, realizes that no one is watching, plays the game again.
(later)
Reggie: "So, jump on my back..." (Jimmy tries the same joke again, Reggie politely laughs, acknowledging and thus validating Jimmy.)

I dislike Jimmy Fallon.

Last edited:

SapphireGeno

Silver forever <3
The SNES trilogy is one of my favorite games ever.
I am really looking forward to this game being released.
The trailer looked absolutely beautiful.

EDIT: The only thing I am kinda disappointed about is the no kremling thing... :/

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
I am now disappointed for no Kremlings in this game, and this could hurt K. Rool's chances of appearing in a possible SSB4. I never manage to beat any of the SNES trilogy as I always get stuck somewhere during the first world. Oh well, I'll be looking forward to the game.

How in the name of Miyamoto's upended tea table can you claim to have "had enough of side scrollin dk games" when you've never played the games that define the concept of "side scrollin dk games"? It's like claiming you've had enough of 3D Zelda titles without having touched Ocarina, Majora or Wind Waker.

DKC games on the GBA.

BCVM22

I'm going to assume that he means he's not played the titles period. If that's inaccurate, the user in question is more than free to correct me.

Many people are however oblivious to the fact that those aren't original titles, and I would (based on first impressions) group him in that category of uniformed people, but fair enough.

woot21

super noob
No K. Rool or Kremlings means I'm not buying. Unless K. Rool is actually in it and they are saying he isn't to hide the fact that he is the final boss. Brilliant!!!

Also, I am excited about this game. Glad to see a return to the roots of DK games. No more Donkey Kongas getting used, for a total of three games (derp). Time for some jungle hijinx.

woot21 out dawgs

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
No K. Rool or Kremlings means I'm not buying.

Haha, you had me going there for a minute. Good one.

Also, guys, lower your standards. It makes the game so much better. Trust me on this one. It also lowers the amount of The HG/SS Grass Effect present in threads on this subject, which is, in most cases, a good thing.

As for me, this game had me intrigued from the first moment, I will probably look through any information that happens to fall into my lap, and, upon release, will more likely than not buy this game.

Cobalt_Latios

Haha, you had me going there for a minute. Good one.

Unfortunately, having been around the boards enough times and visited the appropriate sites (and knowing people like this), I'd say that his statement is partially none joking.

Also, guys, lower your standards. It makes the game so much better. Trust me on this one. It also lowers the amount of The HG/SS Grass Effect present in threads on this subject, which is, in most cases, a good thing.

-_-;; I'm glad I missed that in the appropriate threads. My god.

Although, I keep getting told to "increase" my standards, but honestly, I like them just where they are. High enough to know when certain things are terrible, and low enough so I can find enjoyment in things that would simply pass by others.

If that makes sense.

As for me, this game had me intrigued from the first moment, I will probably look through any information that happens to fall into my lap, and, upon release, will more likely than not buy this game.
Same. Except for the fact that Reggie had me sold the instance he said Retro Studios. Those guys know how to make a great game. I trust them enough.

C_L

woot21

super noob
Unfortunately, having been around the boards enough times and visited the appropriate sites (and knowing people like this), I'd say that his statement is partially none joking.
Really CL? Really? I thought it was pretty obvious it was a joke, considering the insane logic that followed.
The HG/SS Grass Effect
What?

So do we have a release date for this yet? Or anything beyond no Kremlings and no K. Rool?

woot21 out dawgs