• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Don't Cry-de, Mareanie! (1001)

Rohanator

That Frillish fixation is outright weird. Even if it didn't mean the writers wanted to forget BW, it still was just odd. And considering TR relinquishes all of their newly caught Pokemon except Wobbuffet, this is even weirder.
The reason for the Frillish scene was that the writers needed some female Pokemon for James to get excited over so that Mareanie could get jealous about it and mess the capture up. That's all. Then they probably just took a look at some Mons with gender differences and thought Frillish was fitting (since it's kinda similar to Mareanie).

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I guess the writers forgot about Frillish and Amoongus as easily as lots of fans did. lmao Doesn't help they acted pretty much like mindless drones. Frillish and Cofragrius were perfect Pokemon for them in all seriousness though.

I'm disappointed in the outcome of this episode, was really hoping for Mareanie to evolve... still better than that crappy baseball episode, or Lana's episodes at least. Not that those are hard to beat.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The Frillish could also be a reference to that one in game event in USM where you save the lady from them after she doesn't do an SOS battle correctly.

@Zoruagible,

I believe you mean nothing is better than that amazing baseball episode, or any episode featuring Lana.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Nobody noticed that when Bewear grabbed Team Rocket he was making ambulance sounds

Leonhart

Imagineer
As expected, Kojirou's Hidoide didn't evolve, nor did she make any significant progress. As a whole, for a Rocket-dan episode, this one was surprisingly not very exciting. Nothing special occurred, although I liked seeing the emotional scenes.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Although the flashbacks and the interactions of James's Mareanie towards the differently coloured Mareanie/Toxapex was emotional, I otherwise didn't find much from the episode that was interesting. And James trying to catch a female Frillish didn't seem necessary because Jessie already caught one in BW. James protecting Mareanie and Toxapex from Tentacruel wasn't too bad anyway but that was at least nice to see.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I legit forgot about jessie's frillish

hottom3rd

I legit forgot about jessie's frillish

Me too lmao. Episode was.. filler but alright. James kicking the crap outta Tentacruel was hilarious. And his "evolution" bit beating the poison was great.

Bewearbulance to the rescue

Hammad80

I honestly liked this filler a lot more than the jigglypuff one. Solid 6.5/10
And yea, that Frillish being called rare was kinda cringe.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I can’t say I really cared much about this episode, tbh. It was a rather boring filler episode, at least it was to me. Nothing memorable happened, I was rather disappointed with it. Last weeks was so much better.

My heart broke for Mareanie all throughout the episode. First getting scolded by James than when James was trying to release it and said some pretty hurtful things about Mareanie in order to get it to stay with its Senpai. I was getting pretty emotional during those scenes. One thing I have always appreciated about James is that while he is a member of Team Rocket, he is always putting his Pokemons needs over his own. It shows that he really does care for them and is always doing what he can for them. I can tell you he is my favorite member of the TRio.

Dang, James has some strength. To kick that Tentacruel while it was attacking Mareanie and then to send it blasting off later at the end. Just exactly how strong is this man? Someone please tell me, I would love to know. That was pretty funny though, I have to say.

By far the best part was the ending when Toxapex tried to give James the Corsola Horn I don’t know what to call it so lets just go with that and chases him all over the beach, eventually Mareanie joined in. I can say that I cracked up during that scene. That was pretty darn funny.

So all in all, I did not care for this spisode. It was just so underwhelming. I give it a 6.5 out of 10. Hopefully next weeks episode is a lot better.

Jezrocket

This episode is the perfect example of why I love James so much. He is on the side of "bad guys" but he really has a heart of gold. His life is a total succesion of suffering and humiliation since his childhood and yet he deserves so much better. He never hesitates to sacrifice himself for those he loves and he remains so humble. Yet he is really strong and caring but he still keeps a low self-esteem and considers himself worthless and he still thinks his pokemon will be better with someone else than with him...

James, you are a real hero, I'm so sad for you.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Finally got round to seeing the episode. Was quite endearing. In places felt a bit like a rehash of Inkay's limelight episode last series (ie. James wanting to release his Pokemon to be happy but being rebuffed by it's loyalty) but the overall story was funny enough. Mareanie has needed some limelight having been mostly a gag for the series, odd it spent most of the story a damsel in distress though. Even JAMES did more battling (and earned TOXAPEX'S love). XD

I liked finally getting a sympathetic moment between the twerps and TR. They've been sorely lacking in much grey chemistry this series.

The fight was hilarious and epic, especially with XYZ's version of Rocket Dan Danka returning (and a Calypso version being used in the end).

One thing I found glaring though, Bewear essentially abducted TR and prevented them from getting James treatment when he was seriously ill. I was expecting it to nurse James afterwards, but no, it just leaves the TRio stuck in their lair with no aid. This is the first time Bewear seemingly has lacked concern for the Trio's well being, even when forcefully taking them back all episode's before.

And sheesh that Tentacruel holds a long grudge. :p

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
Wow, when I think about this episode I think how badly written it is. There is no good reason for James to release his Mereanie. To a point where you saw her Slap him and going to your side after Toxapex poison you. Really the emotion I was suppost to feel is sadness but this episode fails to do so. Also those thing what he said to Mareanie was really bad to say to a Pokemon. Exspecial James who had Pokemon that did much worst to him like Victreebel eating him, Cacnea hurting him with it spike or Carnavine bitting his head.

There an episode where James didn't want to get rid of his Victreebel so they can have a Weepinbell with Sweet Scent. James would have never say such a thing to any of his Pokemon

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
There an episode where James didn't want to get rid of his Victreebel so they can have a Weepinbell with Sweet Scent. James would have never say such a thing to any of his Pokemon
IMO, it was pretty obvious James said those things in order to encourage Mareanie to leave him for her senpai, not because he actually meant what he said. The cinematography made it pretty obvious.

p96822

Evolve me please
IMO, it was pretty obvious James said those things in order to encourage Mareanie to leave him for her senpai, not because he actually meant what he said. The cinematography made it pretty obvious.

Mostly him saying he won’t get poison again or not being able to catch Pokémon is the thing that I meant. Also why should he release her

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Mostly him saying he won’t get poison again or not being able to catch Pokémon is the thing that I meant. Also why should he release her
Again, James said those things in order to encourage Mareanie to leave him and go with Toxapex. Like I said before, it was pretty obvious to me that he was said those things for her sake, not because he actually meant them. Why did he want to release Mareanie? He said so himself: he believed she would be happier with Toxapex than with him. He wanted what he believed was best for his Pokémon, regardless of his own happiness or desires.

p96822

Evolve me please
Again, James said those things in order to encourage Mareanie to leave him and go with Toxapex. Like I said before, it was pretty obvious to me that he was said those things for her sake, not because he actually meant them. Why did he want to release Mareanie? He said so himself: he believed she would be happier with Toxapex than with him. He wanted what he believed was best for his Pokémon, regardless of his own happiness or desires.

But again he didn’t had to be so rude to her. And again why did he think she would be happier with Toxipex when Mareanie went to his side when she rejected him

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode is the perfect example of why I love James so much. He is on the side of "bad guys" but he really has a heart of gold. His life is a total succesion of suffering and humiliation since his childhood and yet he deserves so much better. He never hesitates to sacrifice himself for those he loves and he remains so humble. Yet he is really strong and caring but he still keeps a low self-esteem and considers himself worthless and he still thinks his pokemon will be better with someone else than with him...

James, you are a real hero, I'm so sad for you.

I'd feel more fondness for Kojirou if he wasn't constantly up to no good with Musashi and Nyasu. His love for Hidoide here was touching, but Kojirou shifts too much between being a nice guy and being a criminal.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
As this is a Team Rocket episode, one of them ought to have read the title card.

The DP saga was one giant terrible Team Rocket episode. I bring that travesty up again because some of the stuff that made their dub selves so hated briefly returned, such as insults toward each other. It didn't take up the whole episode, though. And by the way, the fact that people think dub TR are still like that toward each other 24/7 exposes how long it's been since they saw the dub and how wrong they are about that aspect about it (Bulbagarden's full of that exact bullshit). But anyway, they were truly bearable here, showing why TR is best kept to separate episodes like this rather than intruding in on every last episode of a given saga.

Such a sudden interest in a Frillish, eh James? Although as a Team Rocket member, any Pokemon is valuable. I'm shocked he didn't try to catch Mareanie's ex before finding out who he was. Though if he'd done that, it'd likely get released once the backstory came out. It'd do no good to cause such an awful situation. Mareanie's had enough turmoil for an episode as it is.

If a Poison-type eats a Pecha Berry, wouldn't it totally melt its innards down?

My goodness was James Carter Cathcart amazing today! This might be his best performance as Meowth and most especially James. It's easy to tell why he loves those roles so much, and he must be grateful that this saga gave him a great episode to work with.

And I'll just go ahead and say it now: Cathcart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miki.

Well, the refreshing bare minimum of only 1 JP track being kept had a nice run of five consecutive episodes, then this one came and bumped that number up to 2. Yes, I'd love for the count to be 0 pieces of JP music kept, but I'm generally happy that the actual episode itself gets good music for its Western selves. Speaking of which, except for one little misplacement of one of the variants of the Alola theme, the dub music was great as usual. Special mention goes to most of the tracks having to do with Mareanie herself, such as when she sees James' image in the sky and has her flashback. Ed Goldfarb is truly at his best when making sentimental pieces like that and the piece for the part where Mareanie is sent away. I gotta say that strictly as far as TR episodes go, this one's the best scored.

This is a standout example of how to do a TR episode right. Well done.