• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Don't Cry-de, Mareanie! (1001)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The only thing I have to say about this episode is that I'm not looking forward to this hiatus and wonder when our next episode will be... :(

Vipsoccermaster

The only thing I have to say about this episode is that I'm not looking forward to this hiatus and wonder when our next episode will be... :(
Same, but good things comes to those who wait. We'll likely get a sudden burst with new episodes to watch given that we're now onto the hiatus.

For the episode itself, it was fine for a Team Rocket and Mareanie. James really need to show love and happiness towards Pokémon, even though he and his teammates work for evil at times. But for James, he has a kind heart. Make Pokémon happy. Don't turn them down and make them cry.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
- I'm surprised this episode even made it to the US. Lot of Human and Pokeshipping going on in this episode. So, what was the reason for the Brock and Jynx episode from Pokemon Master Quest being Banned again??

- Man i wish the original voice actor for James would return, and the very first VA to voice Meowth at the very beginning of the series. (No it was not Maddie B. She came later on)
That James Carter guy that voices them both and Prof Oak is cringeworthy when he talks!

- Another hiatus, already??? Sun and Moon Saga is not living up to my expectations. Seems like the last decent one we had was Black and White IMO

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I am so happy to say that even in Sun and Moon, Team Rocket episodes are the best. This has easily been one of the best filler episodes of Sun and Moon yet. It was funny, there was character development, and, most importantly, had an actual solid plot. Team Rocket are just my favorite characters, and James specifically is my favorite among them. This episode had everything I love about James too. I'm sad that Team Rocket doesn't appear nearly enough in Sun and Moon, but at least they're getting more dedicated episodes than they've gotten since Sinnoh.

Also, does anyone know how long it's been since we've seen an alternate colored Pokémon in the show that wasn't Shiny? I assumed the Mareanie/Toxapex was Shiny, but then I looked it up and found that it wasn't.

The DP saga was one giant terrible Team Rocket episode. I bring that travesty up again because some of the stuff that made their dub selves so hated briefly returned, such as insults toward each other. It didn't take up the whole episode, though. And by the way, the fact that people think dub TR are still like that toward each other 24/7 exposes how long it's been since they saw the dub and how wrong they are about that aspect about it (Bulbagarden's full of that exact bullshit). But anyway, they were truly bearable here, showing why TR is best kept to separate episodes like this rather than intruding in on every last episode of a given saga.

I couldn't disagree more. I've always found Team Rocket to be at their height in Sinnoh. They're main characters of the series, just like Ash, and therefore deserve to appear in every episode, just like Ash. And I think their banter where they insult one another is one of their more endearing qualities, myself. It shows how well they all know each other and how they've become such a well-oiled machine that they can just casually trade quips like that.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
And I think their banter where they insult one another is one of their more endearing qualities, myself. It shows how well they all know each other and how they've become such a well-oiled machine that they can just casually trade quips like that.

Oh, I don't hate that aspect of them. I like it, too. It helps add personality to them that's missing from their bland zombielike annoying-voiced JP selves. I just cited that because dub haters always point to that in a pathetic attempt to try to promise people that they'll like them better in Japanese, despite the fact that such banter doesn't occur nearly as often anymore. You wouldn't believe how personally people took their dub selves bantering with each other. The purple cloud of hot air who set me up to be let down by the JP version (as well as his loyal Bulbagarden groupie ii kanji) couldn't go a moment of his life without throwing a tantrum over their latest insult toward each other.

It really makes me wonder if any of them has ever experienced a single other piece of fiction in their entire lives.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Oh, I don't hate that aspect of them. I like it, too. It helps add personality to them that's missing from their bland zombielike annoying-voiced JP selves. I just cited that because dub haters always point to that in a pathetic attempt to try to promise people that they'll like them better in Japanese, despite the fact that such banter doesn't occur nearly as often anymore. You wouldn't believe how personally people took their dub selves bantering with each other. The purple cloud of hot air who set me up to be let down by the JP version (as well as his loyal Bulbagarden groupie ii kanji) couldn't go a moment of his life without throwing a tantrum over their latest insult toward each other.

It really makes me wonder if any of them has ever experienced a single other piece of fiction in their entire lives.

So they really don't banter like that in the Japanese version? It seems like such an intrinsic part of their personality, whether you like it or not, I can't imagine it being any other way. Odd.

Seriously though, is that really something people complain about? As an avid Team Rocket defender, I've seen a lot of complaints towards them, but I can't say that's a complaint I've seen before. Normally I can somewhat understand people's issues with Team Rocket, and I just think they're being blown out of proportion, but I really can't even begin to understand what's wrong with the banter.

Jezrocket

I always watch the episodes dedicated to the Team Rocket in raw subtitles english, raw subtitles french, in english dub and then in french version (my language). I was waiting to see the english version of this episode with great impatience and despite all the bad things I read on the internet about the english dub of "Pokemon" in general, really, I was not disappointed with this episode.

I love James' interpretation here, he speaks so sweet, so kind, so touching and the typical hesitation of this character when he is outside his role in the team rocket is clearly palpable in his voice . (Meowth : "Oh James, you, big lug")

And precisely, his sweetness and his cuteness as well of his lack of self-esteem when he is not in his role of "villain member of Team Rocket" or in "Mighty Moltres mode" : this habit to feel worthless in comparison with other characters for whom his pokemon (or even Jessie) have an attraction (as it was the case with Gardenia and Cacnea, the doctor White and Jessie and here Toxapex) is what I like the most about James and it's partly what makes me a fan who is totally subjugated and passionate by this character.

I also like Jessie's intonation when she worries about James being poisoned more than usual, I just miss a tiny thing: Bewear's ambulance ringtone is not as good as it was in the Japanese version but it's really a minimal detail.

And the music of the dub version is not bad. Especially during the scene where Mareanie thinks of James, the music made me burn my heart again.

Really, the more I watch this episode and the more I love it. The episodes dedicated to team rocket only are so emotional.

But....

After reflexion, I have some questions about this episode.

How did James heal from his poisoning? Why was he suddenly so strong that he could beat Tentacruel 2X with his bare hands after a lack of sleep and terrible pains, (I remind you that we are talking about JAMES the same terrified guy who was crying to be saved with his Mime Jr in his arms in DP) And how did he recover poison during the fight against Toxapex while more later he begins to be poisoned again by Mareanie and is not immune?

I think Bewear gave him one special super-potion. XD XD XD

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given how grotesque Dohidoide looks, I'm relieved that Kojirou's Hidoide didn't evolve into one in this episode, although I still wish Hidoide had gained a new attack.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Anybody who hates James isn't human. He's the most pure being in the Pokemon world!

This episode was amazing... I don't like the fact they basically ignore the fact that Team Rocket owned a Frillish in the past however.
Toxapek's cry is just weird, I do hope Mareanie still evolves though. James really needs an evolution, he hasn't gotten one since the Kanto days! I will settle on a capture though, the guy hasn't gotten a team change beyond his first member ever since BW happened!

It's always nice seeing James willing to let his Pokemon go be happy, but his Pokemon would rather stay with him as they're loyal.

9/10

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Anybody who hates James isn't human. He's the most pure being in the Pokemon world!

This episode was amazing... I don't like the fact they basically ignore the fact that Team Rocket owned a Frillish in the past however.
Toxapek's cry is just weird, I do hope Mareanie still evolves though. James really needs an evolution, he hasn't gotten one since the Kanto days! I will settle on a capture though, the guy hasn't gotten a team change beyond his first member ever since BW happened!

It's always nice seeing James willing to let his Pokemon go be happy, but his Pokemon would rather stay with him as they're loyal.

9/10
tbh, jessie's frillish was pretty forgettable

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This episode did not do much for me. Its fine that they tried to give some development to a regional pokemon but I think it is a little late so far into the region. Whats more is that while Ash is in the episode, he does not get to do much. Team Rocket is the focus of the events and as I see it they did not really get to do much either. (at least not anything memorable or noteworthy) I'd say the best part of the episode might have been when Meowth did the translation and everything changed to a storybook style for a little while.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Can my DirecTV summary for the episode be any cornier?

"An accidental encounter with the past puts the present and future in jeopardy."

Gaaaag.

Jessie, for god's sake, you used to have a female Frillish you got out of nowhere.

Bestiality is something this show somehow doesn't see as weird, but I don't know if the dub tried to downplay it by somehow making James believe that Toxapex lover was a "mentor."

So was the Toxapex bisexual or actually female?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So, what was the reason for the Brock and Jynx episode from Pokemon Master Quest being Banned again??

because of Jynx

They're main characters of the series, just like Ash, and therefore deserve to appear in every episode, just like Ash.

They're main characters sure, but not the #1 main character on the level of Ash. Plenty of good shows have episodes without every main character.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They're main characters sure, but not the #1 main character on the level of Ash. Plenty of good shows have episodes without every main character.

Tell that the first four generations where they appeared in every single episode after their introduction. I'd certainly argue they're higher tier main characters than Ash's friends, who rotate out every couple of years while Jessie, James, and Meowth remain constant.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Tell that the first four generations where they appeared in every single episode after their introduction. I'd certainly argue they're higher tier main characters than Ash's friends, who rotate out every couple of years while Jessie, James, and Meowth remain constant.
What are you trying to say? I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of their status (more main than Ash's friends) but am disagreeing that it was good that they appeared in every episode in the first four generations. I like how they've been used since Gen V where they don't have to appear in every episode, because in the first four generations there were many times they made a token appearance for just a minute or two in an episode they otherwise had no business being in, which grew tiresome quickly. I like them a lot better now.And by the way I was talking about other shows besides Pokémon when I said there are shows where not every main character appears in every episode. I don't get why Pokémon has to have every main character in every episode by your definition.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What are you trying to say? I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of their status (more main than Ash's friends) but am disagreeing that it was good that they appeared in every episode in the first four generations. I like how they've been used since Gen V where they don't have to appear in every episode, because in the first four generations there were many times they made a token appearance for just a minute or two in an episode they otherwise had no business being in, which grew tiresome quickly. I like them a lot better now.And by the way I was talking about other shows besides Pokémon when I said there are shows where not every main character appears in every episode. I don't get why Pokémon has to have every main character in every episode by your definition.

What I'm saying is that they're at least as important as Ash's companions, so if Ash's friends can appear in every episode without people complaining about them, then Team Rocket should be able to as well.

And most shows do have their main cast appear every episode. I'm sure you could find counter examples, but those are almost always going to be the exception. Most shows that are in a comparable genre to Pokémon are going to have a core cast that appears in every episode.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
What I'm saying is that they're at least as important as Ash's companions, so if Ash's friends can appear in every episode without people complaining about them, then Team Rocket should be able to as well.

And most shows do have their main cast appear every episode. I'm sure you could find counter examples, but those are almost always going to be the exception. Most shows that are in a comparable genre to Pokémon are going to have a core cast that appears in every episode.
Ash's friends don't appear in every episode. Ash is the only character who's appeared in every episode this generation.

On your second point, you may have a point since I don't watch anything else in the comparable genre (children's anime) so I have no idea about it. Pretty much every other show that I consistently watch (not in the same genre, as you pointed out) has many episodes without every main character appearing. I actually feel like it's the norm more than an exception, but again, I don't watch other children's anime so maybe that's not how they are.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

I think the main difference is that it's far more natural for Ash's companions to be around as they're in the same class as Ash and they're friends so they naturally do stuff together. And there are several episodes where they only appear briefly because they don't really have a role in the episode, or stay around in the background or cheering on the ones the episode is about. For Team Rocket that's far less natural. They can appear in certain episodes without directly interfering, like the pancake race episode or the Charjabug race episode, but there are also other episodes where their presence would just disrupt what the episode is actually supposed to be about (like Island Challenge trial episodes). In those episodes there just isn't much point in them appearing at all.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ash's friends don't appear in every episode. Ash is the only character who's appeared in every episode this generation.

Alola is the first region to ever have one of Ash's friend not appear in a given episode after their introduction.

I think the main difference is that it's far more natural for Ash's companions to be around as they're in the same class as Ash and they're friends so they naturally do stuff together. And there are several episodes where they only appear briefly because they don't really have a role in the episode, or stay around in the background or cheering on the ones the episode is about. For Team Rocket that's far less natural. They can appear in certain episodes without directly interfering, like the pancake race episode or the Charjabug race episode, but there are also other episodes where their presence would just disrupt what the episode is actually supposed to be about (like Island Challenge trial episodes). In those episodes there just isn't much point in them appearing at all.

What I'm basically saying is it doesn't matter if it's forced. They're main characters, and deserve their appearance, even if it is only a token appearance.