1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Give In, Piplup! An Ice Floe Race in the Sinnoh Region!! (1097)

Discussion in 'Pokémon (2019)' started by Serebii, Jan 12, 2020.

1. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I tended to hate SM's examples of doing this as well (besides the odd better written one like the Maile City episode, or the Vikavolt race where the rivalry still continued after stopping TR), just they were about as sporadic as they are in this series so far. I guess however the thing is that SM often capitalised on that by making other fillers very unique and character driven (eg. having personal plots involving the MAIN CAST and playing it all the way through with no TR interruptions to call it off), while PM2019 so far isn't "bad" per se, but it's rather arbitrary even when the formula isn't being used.

Having plots which start and then are 'cut off' by an outside interference that doesn't really relevantly tie to it aren't really fully realised. I think that's why many got sick of Team Rocket after a while, because this formula got overused as an excuse to get out of writing full stories with proper endings (it tended to work better in the earliest episodes because it was less obvious, TR would manipulate their way into the main conflict or pose a greater threat, or at the very least if a parable was set up it would be fully realised by the conflicting characters, instead of just them randomly being cool after beating TR).

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  2. Yuugis Black Magician

Yuugis Black Magician Well-Known Member

Rotom Zukan was a fun little turd and even when he was just doing bland stuff he was at least inoffensive. Gou's Rotom Phone has a cute voice but no character role. Casting someone who also knows English was a neat choice, it helps set the voice apart from the others. Marina Aicholtz is doing neat work.

jaden767 likes this.
  3. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

I ultimately did not mind Rotom Dex as a character... even though I feel his episodes were pretty consistently weak. The one where he almost-but-not-quite got a TV career being one of my least favorite episodes of the series due to how thoroughly hypocritical Satoshi came off in it.

Twilight-Kun and mehmeh1 like this.
  4. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: We're in an island of fillers!

Rotom was kind of hypocrite too, it wanted to follow Ash to become the greatest pokédex and when he leaves it realizes it can work for Aether for similar results

5. Poke Master 7

Poke Master 7 Boulder Trainer

I find that he was a pretty pointless member of the cast. In all, for them making him a character rather than a tool, he contributed nothing that a regular Pokédex could have, his antics were far from amusing and he really didn’t change much if at all throughout the series. Frankly, he was a waste of a perfectly good Rotom by putting him in a Pokédex in the first place. There’s a joke to be made comparing him to the Rotomphone of replacing an oversized device with a smaller and more sleek model that can do everything he can do and more this rendering him obsolete.

Leonhart likes this.
  6. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Boring. Please Ash get another Pokemon, I don't care what it is at this point, using just Pikachu is so BORING

7. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

I need Ash and Go to run into Misty so she can meet Go's Tentacool

8. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

To me, the advantage is that it is sentient, in a way it can act on its own while also being informative just like a Pokedex. Also being a Megaman fan, I would sure like to interact with a robot, in which I would consider Rotomdex as one even if it's just a Pokemon inside a machine, who can act on its own, as long it doesn't break the 3 laws of robotics.

9. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Oh come on guys Rotom Dex was fun. He wasn't even 1 percent as annoying as Go's rotom since all it does is screams. Atleast rotom Dex had a personality, and it was fun (Tho his dub voice is cancer)
    Plus i loved his detective episodes, especially the one where kiawe almost kills him lol. He was a fun character

10. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

I will take screaming over bland buzzing any day of the week

Guzzlord, I'm looking at you

11. Yuugis Black Magician

Yuugis Black Magician Well-Known Member

Perhaps both are good for the roles they play?

Scorbunnie likes this.
  12. Poke Master 7

Fun is very much subjective. Where you saw fun, I saw annoying especially with his Alolan Detective shtick. There’s only so many times you can use the know-it-all is terrible at deductive skills joke before it gets stale and obnoxious. Maybe as a CotD or recurring character he’d be fine as it would be in small bursts but as a member of the cast, I couldn’t stand him and found any episode that was about him to be totally skippable.

13. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Well fair enough

14. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Exactly

Screamydex is great whereas Rotomdex was an irritating fly that needed far, far, far, far more scenes of it getting brutalized, possibly by the pokémon it's trying to identify

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  15. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

The more I think about it Rotomdex is essentally Whisper from Yokai Watch.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  16. Poke Master 7

He basically is their equivalent. He’s the “know-it-all” type of character for whom the joke is that he’s not as smart as he thinks and despite being the type of monster the series is based around, is completely useless outside of being the holder of the monster encyclopedia. All of that also matches Whisper.

17. pancakemonster

pancakemonster Please bring them back

Go's Pokedex died for me the moment it started rating his throws.

Anyway I finally got around to this episode and I gotta say it's rough when the best part of a new episode is just the couple minutes of TR banter. Like this wasn't offensive but felt like such a by-the-book filler (frankly Go's captures don't arouse much excitement from me) in a way the show hasn't really relied on in a while. I'm hoping the region hopping doesn't lead to a ton more of this.

18. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

That was always clear. SM clearly tried to bank on YW's popularity.

Kind of ironic. The fandom have always pitched Pokémon against Digimon. But both are so distinct and followed such different patches, neither ever really bothered competing to each other. Most of the time, they kind of helped each other since fans of one might find something to enjoy on the other.

In the end, the one who had Pokémon actually trying to compete was the new kid in the block haha.

Anywat, in this matter Pokémon end up winning since YW seems to be losing steam and Pokémon is still profitable/going on somewhat strong.