• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Don't Give In, Piplup! An Ice Floe Race in the Sinnoh Region!! (1097)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Isn’t the main people working on this series are the ones that work on sun and moon? So that will mean that there should be more sm like filler that people want instead of classic filler.

The series director and head writer are different. Tomiyasu Daiki was the series director for Sun & Moon while Matsui Aya was the head writer. For the 2019 series the series director is Kodaira Maki and the head writer is Yonemura Shouji (who previously wrote for the Satoshi franchise). I'm not sure what Kodaira's gender is but they could be the franchise's first female series director while Matsui Aya was obviously the first female head writer for the series.

Anyway, I loved this episode. Misaki and Pochama were so cute. Pochama is my son and I would die to be as cute and well-dressed as Misaki! :D

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I enjoyed this episode a lot. It was a generic filler yeah. But I brought a lot of nostalgia to me especially with the Piplup and Croagunk. It was funny how the strong Tentacool dodged so that Go got a weaker one. The Mantyke was a true bro. Trio's gacha is a fun gimmick. LMAO at the ah **** here we go again end. The next episode seems really interesting. The Cyndaquil at the end is adorable!

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
We’re at this point in a 4 episode streak of Gou catching a Pokémon every episode and I’m already bored of it. Just because a character has a goal of catching Pokémon doesn’t mean every episode has to have an obligatory capture, especially when it adds nothing to the plot. These captures they’re giving Gou not only are boring do to the lack of any kind of struggle, they feel hollow because they’re just so rapid fire. The writers really need to chill it.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It was odd that the swimming competition didn't show up the winner. I remembered back in XY(Z), that the racing competitions had outcomes, even after TRio disrupted them.

I guess they wanted to use the time to show Misaki with her Croagunk and Piplup are finally getting along together, along with how Ash & Go traveled to Sinnoh while having a mission at the lab.

Misaki looks like the female game protagonist in SM if it wasn't for her glasses, scarf, the long hair below it and that side hair sprout whatever what you called it.

Yeah, they really have TRio get random Pokemons from a portable TR vending machine. Too bad that we got to see these Pokemons once before they're gone, so no bonds to the TRio, and their blastoffs are getting very old, to me anyway.

Ok episode. Sure Go captured 2 Pokemons but it looks like a typical "help the cotd & potd from their problems & beat TRio again" episode.

michael147

With best wishes
To go to Kissaki City and not vizit Nozomi... I am a bit disappointed because in the reality visiting a city without visiting or contacting a friend there is a bit impolite. These series are definitely not for meeting the recurring characters like Haruka, Max, Hikari, etc. yet.

Kyloreywalk

I'd like to say they are saving everything for her glorious return if we indeed get DP remakes but all things considered they'll just bring a Piplup girl trainer that's neither Dawn nor Primeverse!Verity

That will probably be the case when DP remakes happen in 2021 or whenever. I'm not so sure Dawn will be brought back even with her VA available, they proved two times now they can advertise Piplup without her (this episode and Movie 20), so I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if only Misty/Brock get the return treatment and every other companion is ignored forever.

Leonhart

Imagineer
michael147 said:
To go to Kissaki City and not vizit Nozomi... I am a bit disappointed because in the reality visiting a city without visiting or contacting a friend there is a bit impolite. These series are definitely not for meeting the recurring characters like Haruka, Max, Hikari, etc. yet.

In truth would Nozomi even qualify as Satoshi's friend, though? I don't remember them having that many interactions during DP, other than a few rude remarks that Nozomi made to Satoshi about how he shouldn't compete in both Gyms and Contests. So I don't blame Satoshi for not thinking about looking for her in Kissaki City.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's the Velma gag taken to the extreme....

Without the glass we get whatever that's supposed to be but put the glasses on it becomes full fledged anime eyes

Which brings the questions... Are the anime eyes part of the glasses? :O

SatoSereFan224888

I don’t see Dawn returning. I think the Piplup got lost and it’s up to Ash & Gou to return it to its mom and family.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Frick's sake TR, their interference caused the main event of the episode to end in cancellation. On the other hand at least Piplup and Croagunk were able to make up to save their trainer (though that trope has been done before). Though I have to say when Piplup arrived in Kanto, it looked nightmarish imo.

Though, I wonder since the episode took place in Snowpoint City, I wonder if the Battle Pyramid is still there or if it went somewhere else...

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Pleasant episode for me, I enjoyed it for what it was. It falls right into the "COTD has a problem, TR curbstomp" style but so far this is only like the second instance of that so it's not too horrid for me yet. Plus despite me not being super invested in the conflict I still was entertained for 22-minutes and that's a job well done in my book. I actually don't mind the rental Pokemon, something is lost by us missing out on permanent captures but it at least gives these TR showdowns a fresh feel. Not sure if I mentioned but I really do like the art/animation for their motto this series. I was happy to see Tunbear again in the anime, same for Tamanta and Gregguru since it feels like ages since we've seen some of these species. I was glad seeing Go casually working for Tamanta in the background because it's cool seeing a character visibly progressing throughout their goal regularly and it is new. The more time I've given it the more I realize I do appreciate the writers innovating with this character and giving us something we've never seen before. Like Satoshi battles, Go takes a main second aspect of Pokemon "capturing."

Really want more of Tamanta, it was a bro, it's a Pokemon with zero focus in the series period, and it was cool seeing Go command it and actually help out against TR this time (certainly better than Strike/Hibunny in his first battle so it could be seen as improvement.) Maybe I'm biased but I enjoyed Go, despite him being in the background he casually shined in his own way. His work with Hibunny to get Tamanta to come to the surface by kicking a rock and then catching it earning praise from that audience of people was actually pretty cute. On top of it, again, it intervened to help Pikachu and he seemed proud of it and anxious to enter it in the race which helps let you know he does actually care about these Pokemon. These were two of the things I wanted, more "tricks" (using the rock) and an evolution of how he gets these Pokemon and his appreciation for them. It also highlights how much better Hibunny and he work as a team. Really liked how Hibunny kicked Tunbear out of its Thrash and into the water, saving the boat. Lots of casually "cool" scenes for Go, really took charge in many scenes quite befitting of his co-protagonist title and role.

Seeing Gregguru and Pochama without their iconic trainers from the Shinou saga was somewhat nostalgic. I really enjoyed both a lot, it also showed that Hibunny isn't necessarily as similar to Pochama as I thought. The Pochama being childish like Hikari's was cute and the Gregguru being not-mellow like Takeshi's but a smug, jerk was great too. I think I just enjoyed aesthetically seeing these two Pokemon again period. The ending with an iconic Kasumi Pokemon (Koduck) potentially joining the fray and Misaki repeating the same pattern was actually pretty funny. Wonder if a throwback to Kasumi was the intention with that scene? But yeah, fun episode for me.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hope the Japanse viewers liked it at least (their target audience) I dont, it was a bland episode.

p96822

Evolve me please
It's time for another Pokemon anime review! Go!

If @Blue Saturday is praying this episode then I have to talk about the negate side of this episode. For me, I didn't like that Misaki's Piplup has to have the same personality as Dawn's Piplup. It take way anything unique they can do with this Piplup's character without coping and pasting it then not doing anything new with the character. I could see Dawn's Piplup doing the same thing that this Piplup did in this episode. Well, we sort of had an episode with Dawn's Cyndaquil doing the same thing as Croagunk is doing. I liked how they did Croagunk's character over Piplup because they didn't have to use establish charter traits from Brock's Croagunk. I do find it weird that Croagunk was in it's natural habit like forest or swamps then the arctic. However, I do like the ending of this episode which I though was a great stinger to it.

I do like Gou's new Mantine because of it's little moment like making bubble in the start of the race or helping out Pikachu. I really like that it helped out Pikachu even though it didn't know Pikachu at all and Ash fanboying over it was cute. But, I do think that the only reason that Mantyke is here so Pikachu can have someone to surf on for the race. I do think it's cool, but it just a surf board for Pikachu to stand on.

Shotgunrain

Yeah, it would have been a nice moment seeing her or Candice cameo here as a judge or whatever. I think we just have to accept that continuity in the anime is dead now. It has been dead for many years already.

Last edited:

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
I have seen the latest episode again, and as far as I see, neither Piplup or Croagunk actually belonged to that girl, they only lived with her. And by the way the episode ended, something tells me this won't be the last time we see these two. (In the promo poster, they were climbing a mountain together). If they are going to appear frequently in the series, that means there's a chance for Ash (Go captures Pokemon too easily) to capture one, or maybe both.