• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Don't you hate this!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
This has never happened to me. It's never happened because I'm so afraid of it happening so I save almost after every other word.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
feeling like you are right there when Amelia has a breakdown
HAH.
(Sorry, Amelia is just one of my characters who does have a breakdown eventually... x3)

Anyway, I did experience something like this once. Word had crashed on me while I was writing one of the lengthiest chapters of my story. I moaned and freaked out, but then remembered that maybe the next time I open Word it would ask if I would like to recover them. It did, and the files showed up in the folder where they should have been... but when I went to open them they were a jumbled mess of letters and symbols, like some sort of twisted Webdings. It turned out that they had just been turned into text files to be opened on Notepad, so it's not that bad, but still.

Though for the predicament you explain, I would just suck it up and read all the rest of the chapter (and maybe the one before) in order to get a feeling for what I should have been... well... feeling. I would then put on the same music I had been playing last time (if this were me, it likely would have been Breathe Into Me by Red or something out of Phantom of the Opera), listen or sing along to it for a little, and then gear myself up for some serious emotional write-fests. It usually works for me, but then again I don't often write completely tragic scenes.

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
Yup it's happened to me. And even my obsession with clicking save wasn't good enough for me, because my problem was that my computer didn't have virus software installed. It was an old computer and it started to get prone to things randomly closing down, and then to randomly just turning itself off.
One day i turned on the computer and it starting turning on like usual...and then it turned off. And it kept on doing that. And then it wouldn't turn on at all. It was dead :/

I lost a whole 50 page short story that had won me a prize at school (signed book by a proffesional author), the 100 odd pages of another story i had begun writing, and a chapter of Card Tamer that i hadn't posted on here yet.

I died inside. The only bit i've redone was the CT chapter, i havn't got it in me to rewrite the others.

Lesson: Always save backup copies on a memory stick!

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I've had something similar happen to me recently, and a quick help I've discovered is to hit Print Screen (or Cmd+Shift+3 on a mac) to take a grab of the screen. It doesn't save EVERYTHING you've done, but if it saves even a fragment of what you've written it can really help in filling in what you're missing.

On the flip side of the coin, the reason I stopped writing my Zelda fic was the new chapter I'd been writing on and off for several months was lost completely when my hard drive kicked the bucket, and I just didn't have the drive to re-write it all again.

Unicorn

Neigh.
This has never happened to me. It's never happened because I'm so afraid of it happening so I save almost after every other word.

Ditto. Me too. I'm a paranoid saver. I'll be writing and then all of sudden it's like "HOLY CRAP DID I SAVE YET?" when in reality it's only been like 30 seconds since the last time I saved. A certain phrase comes to mind: "better safe than sorry."

Raven.

Howl in the Shadows
*winces* Don't remind me...

I save a lot. Very frequently. But that doesn't stop mistakes from happening outside of the program. I was writing a poke-fic once, it was quiet liked and I'm mulling over ideas to re-write it finally. I was up to chapter 14 online, and wrote about 20 more chapters while I was gone for two weeks on a trip. However, when we got there, I tried to transfer all of the saved documents from the computer to a flash drive. I didn't get them, and was rushed to clean the laptop's documents... I deleted 20 chapters, about 50k words, when I cleaned the laptop. I didn't even bother trying to re-write it. A lot of things happened in that space of time and my character was in a very different mindset with a lot of new, terrible knowledge...

The good news is that I can write even better now and should be able to torture my characters in all new ways. :D

OT:

Llama Guy - Love the signature's chainmail.

Dragonite Ernston

Novice Writer

For me, it's approximately every sentence. It takes 0.3 seconds at most, and doesn't break my writing flow. Actually, it's so much a habit for me now that I sometimes accidentally press Ctrl+S even when I'm not working with a document. I almost did it twice when typing this. o_o'