• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

dont you think team aqua/magma were handled really poorly in the anime?

~Sirnight~

Come along, dear

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
I like Lance in the games and in the manga.

Anime Lance is very boring and annoying. He is nothing like his counterparts either.

Hyourinmaru

Moose with the Pen
Wataru is awesome in the manga, a little less awesome in the games, but really lame in the anime. I like Daigo over him though, same with Mikuri and Shirona.
Wataru's hair in the anime scares me though. It's too manly and pink D=.

It's certainly the other way around.

Anyway Team Aqua and Magma were handeled pretty poorly IMO, the battle between the beasts as it were was a lazy production to say the least. Hopefully Team Galaxy is getting the spotlight in DP.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Anyway Team Aqua and Magma were handeled pretty poorly IMO, the battle between the beasts as it were was a lazy production to say the least. Hopefully Team Galaxy is getting the spotlight in DP.

The writers definitely rushed through it. I'm not sure why it was necessary since the League episodes were still a long time coming and I don't think they would be so stupid as to just rush through the arc just to get to another Gym episode.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
I Am So Sick Of Being Bashed! I Am Going To Report Every F*cking Person In This Thread. None Of You Belong Here.

And here and I thought you couldn't get any less mature. We "belong" here just as much as you do, kid. You have no power over what we can and cannot do, or where we do or do not "belong." We all have the same rights and privileges here; if we somehow don't belong here, then neither do you, kid.

Oh, for that reporting thing...good luck with that. I'll be sure to let you know if anything happens, 'kay? Just...prepare to wait forever, 'cause...well, other than your posts that insulted us, there's not much to report, since all most of us were doing was stating facts (particularly about your maturity or lack thereof) and opinions of our own.

And by the way, thanks for proving my point about how you've not read a single post I've made here. Let me say this again: if you're so sick of being bashed, the answer is not to try and make bigger enemies out of the people who've been "bashing" you--which only really happened, as little as it did, after you went and bashed us for our opinions.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
::Sigh:: I keep trying to stay on topic but Gabster's the one that keeps disrupting the flow of the thread. Sure, he's amusing, but only in small doses.

But I bet we'd end up being the ones to get banned here. -___-; I mean, he went off to curse me out but nothing happened to him. Oh well.

::Sigh:: I keep trying to stay on topic but Gabster's the one that keeps disrupting the flow of the thread. Sure, he's amusing, but only in small doses.

But I bet we'd end up being the ones to get banned here. -___-; I mean, he went off to curse me out but nothing happened to him. Oh well.

Exactly, ignore it, and it will go away. We'll just be content in knowing Lance sucks.
The writers definitely rushed through it. I'm not sure why it was necessary since the League episodes were still a long time coming and I don't think they would be so stupid as to just rush through the arc just to get to another Gym episode.

I hope so...

(btw I love the Giselle avaitar)

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Exactly, ignore it, and it will go away. We'll just be content in knowing Lance sucks.

Yeah, I think we've had enough of the poking fun at Gabster thing. XD;;

I hope so...

That's the thing that boggles my mind about the two-parter. Actually, it boggles my mind in general that the anime writer seem to put such little importance into the things that are supposed to be huge plots from the games. I think that even children would appreciate watching an awesome storyline involving Ash and his groupies fighting off some evil organization rather than just watching them go through the Gyms, the Contests (yes, I love Contests, but I also like good storylines from the games), and pointless (usually boring) fillers.

(btw I love the Giselle avaitar)

Hee hee! Thanks! :"D Giselle is one of my favorite one-shot characters from the anime.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Yeah, I think we've had enough of the poking fun at Gabster thing. XD;;
For now, anyways. =p

That's the thing that boggles my mind about the two-parter. Actually, it boggles my mind in general that the anime writer seem to put such little importance into the things that are supposed to be huge plots from the games. I think that even children would appreciate watching an awesome storyline involving Ash and his groupies fighting off some evil organization rather than just watching them go through the Gyms, the Contests (yes, I love Contests, but I also like good storylines from the games), and pointless (usually boring) fillers.
You know, the pacing in the Hoenn League and Grand Festival was pretty messed up too, enough so that folks would've been much more content with having another episode to them. The Kanto GF is a little less rushed than the Hoenn one with how it doesn't confine all of the battles to the final episode of the three, but the Hoenn League was seven episodes--the same amount as the other two. I can't think of any real reason as to why they would keep these (including, of course, the Aqua/Magma showdown) shorter than they should've been. They'd garner better ratings from more plotty things like that, but the writers seem hell-bent on showcasing pokemon in crappy filler--pokemon that have already been featured in the anime, no less. (I mean, did we really need that BF filler with the giant Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree?)

Hee hee! Thanks! :"D Giselle is one of my favorite one-shot characters from the anime.

Keheh, same here! Back when one-shot characters actually had discernible personalities...it saddened me when she was featured in the second opening (along with Mandy, Jeanette, AJ, and various other one-shot characters) but never showed up after episode 9. Too bad how the characters who deserved to show up the most (Samurai, AJ, Giselle) never made second appearances in the Battle Frontier, and that the characters who shouldn't have been seen again eventually were (except that dude with the Rhyhorn from the "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" episode. I'm glad he never showed up again).

Hang on...some of the worst characters from Kanto showed up later instead of the better ones. Anyone else noticing a trend here?

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
They'd garner better ratings from more plotty things like that, but the writers seem hell-bent on showcasing pokemon in crappy filler--pokemon that have already been featured in the anime, no less. (I mean, did we really need that BF filler with the giant Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree?)

Exactly! All of those awful fillers from Hoenn could have been replaced with more episodes consisting of the Team Aqua/Team Magma plot. I wish the writers would stop and think about it for just a second that an episode furthering one of the team's agenda is much more entertaining than a filler about a ranch of Camerupt.

Yes, I'm aware that the show has great ratings in both the US and Japan, but come on... I'm sure that writing a very satisfying story would make the show even better and it'd have more respect amongst the fans. A lot of the fans like good battles and commend the ones that are shown in the anime, but it'd also be far more exciting to have Ash (or any of the characters) have a grand battle against an Admin or even Archie/Maxie themselves.

Keheh, same here! Back when one-shot characters actually had discernible personalities...it saddened me when she was featured in the second opening (along with Mandy, Jeanette, AJ, and various other one-shot characters) but never showed up after episode 9. Too bad how the characters who deserved to show up the most (Samurai, AJ, Giselle) never made second appearances in the Battle Frontier, and that the characters who shouldn't have been seen again eventually were (except that dude with the Rhyhorn from the "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" episode. I'm glad he never showed up again).

Hang on...some of the worst characters from Kanto showed up later instead of the better ones. Anyone else noticing a trend here?

I know what you mean about that opening theme. I really did expect to see those characters return to battle in the Orange League or something. Actually, I thought Giselle, AJ and Samurai would have appeared in the Indigo League. ::Sigh:: What a disappointment.

One of the things I liked about Giselle was that she didn't use 'cutesy' Pokemon, especially in comparison to some of the female characters from nowadays. Though, I think her Pokemon belonged to the school, right? Still, I liked seeing that Graveler. 8D

Hm, I did think about it a few days ago and a lot of my favorite one-shot characters appeared during the Kanto series. The ones from back then that were rather bland did return, which is another disappointment. I liked Duplica, but her appearance in Johto was so damn boring. However, I do like a few Hoenn one-shot characters, but they are mostly the ones that were connected to May's quest. One of them is Timmy ("The Phantom"), whom I could actually relate to a lot since I have a mother like his. Plus, he was very cool with his alter-ego thing. Lol, the Dusclops costume rocked. XD;;

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
To tell you all the truth, I'm incredibly disgusted with the performance on page twenty-two. Not only is it spam and off-topic, but you are all ganging up on one kid and replying to his spam. How old are all of you? Knock it off, all of you. If you can't handle Gabster's posts, ignore him.
And Gabster, truthfully, you bring that all on yourself. From experience, I can tell you will not have an easy time changing anyone's mind, in fact, what you're doing is accomplishing the complete opposite. Stop spamming, stop arguing, and live with the fact not everyone will have the same opinions as you.
As for the rest of you, I'm willing to give this thread another chance. Stay on topic and ignore Gabster if you must. If I see something like page 22 again, I'm closing this thread - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Now get back on topic. >=(

tipnottippy

Back for the lulz
As you can probably guess by my signature, I'm a huge fan of Steven and Wallace and think that the Aqua/Magma storyline would have been much, MUCH more climactic and interesting had the anime followed Emerald Version in terms of how the Kyogre/Groudon confrontation proceeded. Someone told me that the Cave of Origin was mentioned in some episode prior to the actual Kyogre-Groudon confrontation, but clearly it did not play a part in the end, which means a continuity error that would have been fixed if the battle had been postponed until Ash & co. got to Sootopolis and the Cave of Origin had made its onscreen debut, complete with Wallace as its designated guardian. Then they should have had Rayquaza become involved, preferrably something along the lines of Wallace taking Ash & co. (or Ash & co. following Wallace) to the Sky Pillar (which ALSO never appeared in the anime) where they find Rayquaza. It's not like a Pokemon that starred in a movie has not reappeared in the TV series before--Lugia, Articuno, Entei, and Mewtwo being some examples--so it would have been a perfect opportunity to showcase Rayquaza in the anime in a far more interesting and majestic role than the mindless destructive machine it was in the Deoxys movie. In addition, having Wallace would have given a Milotic a real fighting role, instead of its relatively predictable appearances as a Contest Pokemon and in a tame, structured Gym Battle. Plus, had Steven also reappeared for the conclusion of the Aqua/Magma arc, that would have compensated for the incredible lameness of his appearance in the Hole Lotta Trouble episode.

But no. The anime failed us. After building up the Aqua/Magma plot for so many episodes, they end it with Lance the Superhero rescuing everybody from a little storm out in the middle of the ocean.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
To tell you all the truth, I'm incredibly disgusted with the performance on page twenty-two. Not only is it spam and off-topic, but you are all ganging up on one kid and replying to his spam. How old are all of you? Knock it off, all of you. If you can't handle Gabster's posts, ignore him.
And Gabster, truthfully, you bring that all on yourself. From experience, I can tell you will not have an easy time changing anyone's mind, in fact, what you're doing is accomplishing the complete opposite. Stop spamming, stop arguing, and live with the fact not everyone will have the same opinions as you.
As for the rest of you, I'm willing to give this thread another chance. Stay on topic and ignore Gabster if you must. If I see something like page 22 again, I'm closing this thread - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Now get back on topic. >=(

Oyyy, I knew something like this would happen eventually. I'm sorry, Encyclopika. I think it's just that we're all frustrated with Gabster being rude and coming into the thread to insult us for not sharing the same opinion as him. But, it won't happen again, not from me at any rate. This thread is good because it's something that a lot of people can discuss something that really was handled in the worst way possible and we speak about how we think it could have been done better.

But, please, maybe you should...address Gabster directly? He's had a history on this forum of insulting people in a degrading way. I don't think anyone has given him a warning since he continues to do it. So...yeah.

Last edited:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos

I'm sorry as well, Encyclopika. I just get a little testy about this subject. But, I'll get back on topic.

Anyway, did anyone else find Maxie's dub voice as a complete slip up? I mean, he is only featured in TWO episodes and he gets a very bad voice. But, that's my opinion. I got used to it after a while, then stopped getting used to it. I don't know why, but that alone almost killed the whole thing.

Also, why put the leaders in only TWO episodes when they appear numorous times in the game?

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
I really don't care about the voice actors or the characters voices for that matter. All I care about is story abd it was choppy and really predictable. 'Let's make one team the good people and one evil! That would be a real suprise for the fans, also we could bring back the overrated Lance!

Nightmare the Scyther

Altaria x Aerodactyl
Good points, my friend, good points.

If I remember correctly, they made Maxie's voice sound like a creaky old man...his uniform was okay, it could've been better. I mean, look at Archie's uniform and Maxie's uniform. They're complete opposites. Maxie deserves better. WAY better.

hmmmm...food for thought.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
I always thought that Archie got the worst treatment. They made him into a pathetic, greedy jerk that didn't have a regard for his own teammates. Wtf. They made Maxie look like the kindly, misguided soul instead.

I'm not saying that the writers should have made them both clones of each other, but either make them both have ill intentions or that they are misguided. Seriously, what makes Maxie seem more 'good' than Archie? Oh, that's right... Pirate = Evil to the writers.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Thought I'd add my apologies to this as well. See, I just really hate it when people make uninformed generalizations, especially when they happen to insult me (however indirectly) in the process. If Gabster continues here, I can't guarantee that I won't respond, but I'll try to keep it to PMs if it's not on-topic.

I always thought that Archie got the worst treatment. They made him into a pathetic, greedy jerk that didn't have a regard for his own teammates. Wtf. They made Maxie look like the kindly, misguided soul instead.

I'm not saying that the writers should have made them both clones of each other, but either make them both have ill intentions or that they are misguided. Seriously, what makes Maxie seem more 'good' than Archie? Oh, that's right... Pirate = Evil to the writers.

Y'know, I never liked the Team Aqua uniform design. The "headband, horizontal striped shirt, black pants" thing the members had in the games just screamed "pirate." I strongly get the feeling that if Aqua's uniforms weren't so damn stereotypical, the moral ground between the two teams would've been much more even in the end.

But yeah, they definitely shouldn't have made one leader "better" than the other. They really should've gone the way of the Emerald version and portrayed both leaders as extreme environmentalists. Either that or toned-down versions of their manga incarnations. I say "toned-down" because their attitudes and actions as they were in the manga would've been, quite frankly, too much for the anime--by quite a bit.

On the subject of Maxie's dub voice, I can't remember much about it at all, but I do seem to remember it sounding a lot like, I don't know...Marik from Yu-Gi-Oh!. Is there any accuracy to that? If someone could provide a name and a couple of other roles, I'd be better able to imagine his voice.

Pacman

I agree. I mean, I haven't really played Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire, so I don't know what the Teams are like in their, but in Pokemon Emerald, it seems both Teams are misguided.

In Pokemon Emerald, you first find out about Team Aqua, and when you first meet Archie, he seems to think that his cause was noble.

Also, what I find interesting, is that you battle Maxie more than Archie. I think, haven't played that part in Emerald in awhile, but the only time you battle Archie is when he awakes Kyrogue, but you battle Maxie, at least 3 times.

Also, whever the weather was going carzy, and Hoenn would be flooded or whatever, Archie was all upset. Really, Archie just wanted to expand the sea, not flood the world, that is why in Emerald he got upset, when his Team said that their is to much water coming down, or something like that.

I don't see Team Aqua or Team Magmar as evil, even Archie or Maxie, their just misguided and think that what their doing will help both people and Pokemon. I know the lady at Mt. Pyre said when Archie and Maxie took the Orbs, she said that they are evil BUT after the whole Grodon/Kyrogue thing, if you go back to Mt. Pyre, you see Archie and Maxie returning the Orbs, the lady there said that their not really evil.

Therefor, it goes back to what I was saying, about them being misguided. That is why I find Team Aqua and Team Magmar interesting. Their not really evil, just misguided, and either of them (Team Aqua - Archie, Team Magmar - Maxie) didn't want to destory the world, they just didn't know that Gordon/Kyrouge would be that powerful and that they couldn't control them. I mean, TA and TM weren't like "WE WILL USE THE ANCIENT POKEMON TO DESTORY THE WORLD!!! BWA HAHAHAHA!!!". I know, that some people didn't like TA and TM story, but I thought it was interesting, rather than haveing ANOTHER Group, who are without a doubt, evil and want to control and hurt Pokemon or take over the world. (Looks at Team Rocket and Cipher.)

Now, don't get me wrong. Team Rocket and Cipher were good bad guys and all, but its nice to have a change form that, IMO. I can't say anything about Team Galaxy because I really don't know much about them, yet.

So, anyway, I'm dissapointed how the Anime seems to take sides, made Archie is out-of-characher (If you played Emerald, you will know what I mean.), had Lance their for some reason, didn't have everything in the Games, such as Rayquaza, Steve and Wallace, etc.