• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

dont you think team aqua/magma were handled really poorly in the anime?

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Lance protects whatever place he's in.
And if Team Rocket is anywhere near as active in Johto and Kanto as they were in the early sagas (and there's no reason to believe that they aren't), I would think Lance would have his hands full dealing with them and, I don't know, protecting those regions from the bad guys.
I don't remember him saying anything about why he suddenly appeared in Hoenn except to stop Aqua and Magma (and Groudon and Kyogre) from threatening the stability of the region. He was, in a sense, "just there," while those who actually would've had a reason to be there--Steven (the region's strongest trainer) and Wallace (the guardian of the Cave of Origin)--weren't, for some reason. The point is: Lance had no real reason to be at the climax but was, and Steven and Wallace had every reason to be there but weren't. I think we have every reason to complain about that.

Anyways, to answer the thread question, yes, I do think that they were handled poorly--in the latter half of the region. I said it many, many times, but collectively, they had around six appearances before Lavaridge Town. Okay, that's fine, 'cause the episodes they were in were generally pretty good and we finally had some competent villains who weren't complete pushovers in battle. So, no real problem there. They didn't show up between Ash's battles with Flannery and Norman, but that's to be expected, since they did nothing between those battles in the game. The Weather Institute was also pretty decent, and once again played up Aqua and Magma as being serious threats.
However, this is where the writers seriously dropped the ball. If they'd really tried, we could've had another two episodes about the two Teams before the final confrontation. Even if they decided not to feature their bases or the minor event at Slateport, they should at least have had an episode at Mt. Pyre and maybe another at the Mossdeep Space Center. They really should have stuck the climax right around Sootopolis, given it another episode, and maybe featured the Seafloor Cavern in the process. But, unless you've been living under a rock for the past couple of years, you should know that, well, they didn't. The writers had all of that decent plot-building through the Weather Institute, but they decided to take the easiest possible way out and leave us viewers with one of the biggest copouts and possibly the most rushed scenario in the history of the entire anime.
The only "excuse"--if you can really call it that--that I can think of is that they were so hell-bent on featuring all of the Hoenn pokémon that the stuff that should actually matter to the fans ended up suffering. Really; replace one crappy filler between Fortree and Lilycove with the Mt. Pyre event, remove one less mediocre filler from later on for an extra K/G episode, and replace the Space Center plot with the one from Emerald...it's actually decent writing, which would boost the show's success. Why do such trivial concepts appear to be so goddamn difficult for the writers?

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Now, my memory may not be the best, so I could be wrong. But...didn't Team Magma have a boat or a submarine or something like that in the anime? I mean... Damn. Why would an organization that wants to expand landmasses have something that they cruise on in the water? Shouldn't Team Aqua have the submarine? Gah, whatever.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
And if Team Rocket is anywhere near as active in Johto and Kanto as they were in the early sagas (and there's no reason to believe that they aren't), I would think Lance would have his hands full dealing with them and, I don't know, protecting those regions from the bad guys.
I don't remember him saying anything about why he suddenly appeared in Hoenn except to stop Aqua and Magma (and Groudon and Kyogre) from threatening the stability of the region. He was, in a sense, "just there," while those who actually would've had a reason to be there--Steven (the region's strongest trainer) and Wallace (the guardian of the Cave of Origin)--weren't, for some reason. The point is: Lance had no real reason to be at the climax but was, and Steven and Wallace had every reason to be there but weren't. I think we have every reason to complain about that.

Anyways, to answer the thread question, yes, I do think that they were handled poorly--in the latter half of the region. I said it many, many times, but collectively, they had around six appearances before Lavaridge Town. Okay, that's fine, 'cause the episodes they were in were generally pretty good and we finally had some competent villains who weren't complete pushovers in battle. So, no real problem there. They didn't show up between Ash's battles with Flannery and Norman, but that's to be expected, since they did nothing between those battles in the game. The Weather Institute was also pretty decent, and once again played up Aqua and Magma as being serious threats.
However, this is where the writers seriously dropped the ball. If they'd really tried, we could've had another two episodes about the two Teams before the final confrontation. Even if they decided not to feature their bases or the minor event at Slateport, they should at least have had an episode at Mt. Pyre and maybe another at the Mossdeep Space Center. They really should have stuck the climax right around Sootopolis, given it another episode, and maybe featured the Seafloor Cavern in the process. But, unless you've been living under a rock for the past couple of years, you should know that, well, they didn't. The writers had all of that decent plot-building through the Weather Institute, but they decided to take the easiest possible way out and leave us viewers with one of the biggest copouts and possibly the most rushed scenario in the history of the entire anime.
The only "excuse"--if you can really call it that--that I can think of is that they were so hell-bent on featuring all of the Hoenn pokémon that the stuff that should actually matter to the fans ended up suffering. Really; replace one crappy filler between Fortree and Lilycove with the Mt. Pyre event, remove one less mediocre filler from later on for an extra K/G episode, and replace the Space Center plot with the one from Emerald...it's actually decent writing, which would boost the show's success. Why do such trivial concepts appear to be so goddamn difficult for the writers?

Yep, I thought they were handled fine until for some reason Mt. Pyre was skipped. I actually found the 2-parter to be pretty decent, but there's no doubt it could have been a bit longer.

Even so, this mishap didn't ruin my enjoyment of the AG series one bit.

Goldliop

Powerplay Champion
meh... they were handled great in the game...
but they were only good in the two parter episode...
i wish they had gone more in depth on the character of the respective leaders,
and explain that they really didn't have evil intentions...

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
I think another reason people hate Wataru being in Houen is because he already had a two-parter in Jouto. Mikuri, on the other hand, didn't get any episodes.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Not really.....I thought the Gyms were handled badly, and the Pokemon were extremely shallow and dull.

not to mention Katsura's god-awful redesign. I'll take a cool-looking old guy in shades over ANOTHER old kook (with a fondness for hippie attire, apparently) any day.

Indigo League in a nutshell:
Round 1: One Pokemon takes down all three of the opponent's.
Round 2: We only saw the final minute of it. The hell?
Round 3: Only the second half of the battle shown. Again, the hell?
Round 4: Good battle. Probably the only one in the entire league.
Round 5: CHARI...Zzzzz.....

not to mention that they decided to take out some of those battles to show us more of Rocket Dan's antics and Togepi screwing around with Pikachu, which we see every friggin' episode, and trying to showcase one of the crappiest, most unoriginal characters ever.

Lance probably travels lots that's why he got to Hoenn to protect it from Magma and Aqua. I still don't get why people want Wallace and Steven so badly to have been there. The anime is not the games. Look at all the differences between the games and and the anime it's not the same! I like how the anime ended the Aqua/Magma thing early on instead of dragging it out to all the other later episodes. Later episodes are for the leagues in the anime so newsflash to all you naysayers.

not to mention Katsura's god-awful redesign. I'll take a cool-looking old guy in shades over ANOTHER old kook (with a fondness for hippie attire, apparently) any day.

not to mention that they decided to take out some of those battles to show us more of Rocket Dan's antics and Togepi screwing around with Pikachu, which we see every friggin' episode, and trying to showcase one of the crappiest, most unoriginal characters ever.

The anime was way better later on.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Yeah, kind of his point shooting down how Kanto was apparently ULTIMATE!

Wallace and Steven are gay lovers, so they should've been in the Anime!

I whole heartly agree. When I first saw him reveal his true image in the anime, I was like "WTF?! That's NOT BLAINE!"

Blaine is the Badass scientist that owns people.

Only truly great thing about the Kanto is that they make the persoanlities and art direction good and funny. which made people enjoy it. Also the filler characters weren't bland like Johto or even some Honen.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
that would mean the writers would remember something, yeah that's not going to happen
See also: the entire Battle Frontier arc.

Except that it is, since Lance was there for no reason, the animation sucked, and nothing was truely resolved after all that build-up, because the damn thing only lasted 2 episodes.
Not to mention that ridiculous "possessed Pikachu" business...

MugenKeiji

THERE'S NO $50 HERE!
Anime and manga.

Am I the only one who justs sees Aqua/Magma as two very misled environmentalist groups?

yeah, the writers kinda lost me with aqua/magma... the episodes they were in were focused mainly on them and their super secret plans to do something evil with pokemon... and then when the episode was over you would not even hear about them for like another 30 episodes
and with all of the mysteries floating around about them and what their plans were and then they just go and end it all in two episodes that were not very well organized... it just stopped and then aqua and magma disappeared off the face of the earth

Anime and manga.

Am I the only one who justs sees Aqua/Magma as two very misled environmentalist groups?

well in the anime when they were both first introduced they seemed like evil organizations trying to use pokemon for evil deeds
but by the end of their arc they did seem like misled environmentalist groups... they did not know what the were doing and just went out of control so quickly even though it seemed like they had been planning this for a long time, you know with the guy with the ditto dressing up like a woman to get that weather station information, or Devon corporation or the meteorite... but noooooo they had no plans but to just attempt to capture kyogre/groudon and make them super angry for no reason at all and almost destroy the planet
then when kyogre/groudon stopped fighting they suddenly realized what they had been doing was wrong and said "Ok, we were stupid, we understand now, cya never"

Last edited:
yeah, the writers kinda lost me with aqua/magma... the episodes they were in were focused mainly on them and their super secret plans to do something evil with pokemon... and then when the episode was over you would not even hear about them for like another 30 episodes
and with all of the mysteries floating around about them and what their plans were and then they just go and end it all in two episodes that were not very well organized... it just stopped and then aqua and magma disappeared off the face of the earth

well in the anime when they were both first introduced they seemed like evil organizations trying to use pokemon for evil deeds
but by the end of their arc they did seem like misled environmentalist groups... they did not know what the were doing and just went out of control so quickly even though it seemed like they had been planning this for a long time, you know with the guy with the ditto dressing up like a woman to get that weather station information, or Devon corporation or the meteorite... but noooooo they had no plans but to just attempt to capture kyogre/groudon and make them super angry for no reason at all and almost destroy the planet
then when kyogre/groudon stopped fighting they suddenly realized what they had been doing was wrong and said "Ok, we were stupid, we understand now, cya never"

I liked how it was resolved. What did you want some big epic fight like in that stupid manga? It was much more simple and better to understand in the anime. They did excellent in the story telling of Aqua and Magma.