1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Double Battle Special Challenge: Team 1

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by JnGnzlz, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JnGnzlz

JnGnzlz New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first team in the RMT Section, and well, first post overall. I'm working on a double team because me and some friends are developing some kind of tournament in our college. We randomned pokémon types, and I was the (somehow) lucky ones to be able to use a multi-type team. All of the other guys are only allowed to use a mono-type team. The bad side of the story? They can freely switch the pokémon in their party for other, but I'm stuck with a single party for the whole competition.

For the teambuilding process, my kept in mind that my double battle team was going to fight Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon and Normal-type pokémon, and that the following (spoilered) pokémon were banned. Also, Dark Void, Sky Drop+Gravity, Soul Dew and unreleased Hidden Abilities are banned.

TL;DR:: Multi-type party for fighting mono-type teams of Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon and Normal-type pokémon. The pokémon in the following spoiler are banned. Soul Dew, Dark Void and Sky Drop+Gravity are banned.

Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina (all its forms), Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin (all its forms), Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem (all its forms), Genesect & Meloetta.

For the first party, I wanted to use a weather Team. Sun totally came to my mind, so I had to begin with a Ninetales ;038; . Then, I need someone to abuse the sun, so Venusaur ;003; seemed like the best choice. Now, having 2 special attackers, I needed a good physical attacker, so Conkeldurr :534: would fit here perfectly. Just because I like him, Gengar ;094; was a must have. I decided the last 2 slots would be for trolling my enemy, so Espeon ;196; and Rotom ;479; were the chosen ones for the job.

Thanks to feedback and trying the party out, it has been modified into a rain team (lol?) as it seems to fulfill its purpose better.

[​IMG]
    Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 6 SDef / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psychic/ThunderBolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute/Pain Split/Giga Drain

The Black Sludge is pretty much for recovering and making the enemy think about it twice when tricking me into a choice item. Shadow Ball, Psychic/ThunderBolt and Focus Blast are for hitting anything for at least 1x. I can't decide between Substitute, Pain Split for dealing with walls and recovering, or Giga Drain for more coverage and recovering also. This guy is most likely sweeping lategame, teamed up with Conkeldurr.​

[​IMG]
    Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 90 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp/Hydro Pump
    - Confuse Ray
    - Thunder Wave/Hydro Pump

Rotom is here for the lulz. So far I'm running Rotom Wash because it has fewer weakness and more resistances. Will-O-Wisp is meant to cripple any physical attacker or counter Leftovers, Thunder Wave cripples any speedy enemy, and Confuse Ray is for the lulz. Volt Switch is for switching out and damaging at the same time, and trying to get a switch while predicting the enemy's move.​

[​IMG]
    Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 130 SpD
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Payback
    - Facade/Bulk Up

This guy punches holes in the enemy team, no matter if the enemy is faster than him or if the burn is slowly killing him. It is a pretty much used Conkeldurr set, Drain Punch for the heal and STAB, Mach Punch for priority, Payback to deal with Ghosts or Psychics, Facade for a Burn boosted, Guts boosted hit. However, I've found that boosts are specially usefull in this guy, so I'm up to switch Facade for Bulk Up.​

[​IMG]
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power (Grass)
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Protect/Encore/Perish Song

Replaced Ninetales as the weather inducer. He is meant to tank some hits while being able to hit hard back, so he has Hidden Power Grass is there for coverage. Ice Beam against any Flying or Dragon-type I might run into, and Hydro Pump is for a STAB boosted, Rain boosted nuke. For the fourth move, Protect has been doing a nice job both scouting and defending me from friendly fire, meanwhile Perish Song could be used to force a switch on something that sets up on me.​

[​IMG]
    Toxicroak @Black Sludge/Life Orb
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Sucker Punch/Drain Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - ThunderPunch/Ice Punch
    - Swords Dance/Earthquake

Replaced Espeon, but is surely going to be replaced too. Pretty much straightforward physical attacker. Drain Punch is meant to be used with Life Orb, to heal up the recoil. ThunderPunch is to be paired with Swords Dance for a good damage boost, while Ice Punch is to be paired with Earthquake for coverage.​

[​IMG]
    Raikou @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    - Protect
    - Rain Dance

Replaced Venusaur as the weather abuser. One star for the team. Hidden Power Ground is there to hit on any Volt Absorbers or Steel-types that might otherwise wall me. Rain Dance is there in case Politoed is not able to set up his Drizzle, while Thunder is used to abuse the rain with a massive damage STAB. Protect for scouting, and dealing with friendly fire Earthquake​

Suggestions on how can this team be improved are always welcome. I am willing to replace any pokémon or move with another, as long as it mantains good synergy with the rest of the team. Please remember that this party is going to be against monotype parties of Water, Electric, Ice, Fire, Dragon or Normal-type pokémons, so any comments about how a pokémon that doesn't have any of those types walls or counters my team will be ignored.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Credits to Bulbapedia for the images, move lists, etc.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Manectrifier

Manectrifier AKA Treecko

I like the fact that you are making a double team. I've always wanted to do that once, but never did. I've read some articles about it though, so I know the common strategies and mechanics.
    Just a few things about your team though:
    In singles, you can't just use a pokemon 'for the lulz'. I suppose this is the case in doubles too.
    For example, besides ninetales Venusaur is the only pokemon that benefits from the sun. If you make a sun team, you want to have more pokemon who benefit from it.
    Furthermore, you can't just throw single battle pokemon together in a double team. They might be very good in singles, but that doesn't mean they're good in doubles too. You need to look for synergy. Another example: if you choose to use hydro pump on rotom-w, that doesn't really make much sense, because sun weakens water moves.
    the doubles metagame works different to the singles metagame. Magic bounce for example is useless, as everyone with a status move will aim at the partner of espeon, not the espeon itself. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but something will need to change if you want the team to work. For example try common double battle strategies like one pokemon with earthquake and a flying type/levitator. Use multi-hit moves like rock slide and discharge. try to avoid setting up moves like calm mind, as they most likely will not work in doubles. And lastly, give protect to more of your pokes. It's extremely handy in doubles.

3. Otamon

Otamon New Member

I dont know if making a sun team is a good idea, considering you are probably going to face water teams. I would take out gengar and add a dragon type like latios, if you face a dragon team you have nothing to fight them with. I dont see the point in running Espeon without screens so instead of Espeon i suggest a ground type for the electric teams like Dugtrio

4. JnGnzlz

JnGnzlz New Member

I totally get your point about having more pokémon that benefit from the sun in the party, but having, lets say, 3 or 4 pokémon depending on the sun totally cripples the party if I happen to lose the weather war. Anyway, if proven to be better for the team, I can replace Ninetales with a Drizzle Politoed, and Venusaur's place could be taken by either Scizor, Toxicroak or a Swift Swim Kindra, the late being able to deal with the Dragon and Fire-type teams I will face. Or play with no weather at all.

Actually, the "lulz" on Rotom is forcing the enemy to struggle with their choices because of Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray. He's doing a pretty good job on the simulator, but sometimes I've felt that a Choice Scarf on him is needed because he has been outsped constantly.

I don't really don't know what to do with Espeon. I've got a Yawn, Wish, Protect and Psyshock variant in game, and he's always giving the enemy trouble. But no matter which variant I try on this team, he doesn't seem to be pulling its weight.

So, lets say I switch Ninetales for Politoed, Venusaur for Toxicroak and Espeon for Raikou...

Politoed @ ?
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power (Grass)
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Protect/Encore/Perish Song

Toxicroak @Black Sludge/Life Orb
    Ability: Dry Skin
    - Sucker Punch/Drain Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
    - Swords Dance/Earthquake

Raikou @ Air Balloon/Life Orb?
    Ability: Pressure
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    - Protect
    - Rain Dance

What do you think?

5. loco1234

loco1234 BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO

I can't tell what kind of Toed that is to be honest, and that will change which item I recommend. If it's meant to be defensive use Leftovers. If it's meant to be offensive switch Scald to Hydro Pump and use Life Orb or a Choice item with a 4th attack.

I would recommend going Rain though, and for Toxicroak try a SubPunch set

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Dry Skin
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Drain Punch
    - Sucker Punch

Drop a sub, start punching. Drain Punch is for when your HP gets lower (you'll be using Focus Punch most of the time) and Sucker Punch is somewhat-reliable priority which is always useful. It has a respectable 80 BP too.

Raikou, good. Life Orb. Rain Dance isn't really necessary though, you have Politoed and it's not like you'll see other weather bar that Fire team, which you should be able to take anyway. Maybe use Shadow Ball over it?

I'm not terribly familiar with Doubles though.

6. Manectrifier

Manectrifier AKA Treecko

I`m not really sure about the focus punch. In doubles, when the opponent sees you run subpunch, they`ll attack you with 2 pokes at the same time, still causing you to flinch. Again, I`m not very familiar with doubles, but I think that will be a problem

7. loco1234

loco1234 BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO

Very true.

8. JnGnzlz

JnGnzlz New Member

Not running SubPunching set, sir, sorry. As they said, the substitute gets broken easily. However, I've been thinking of switching Toxicroak for a choice banded Technician Scizor, as I don't feel Toxicroak's been pulling it's weight either, and this party needs a revenge killer.

Raikou seems to be doing great. However this party needs more Earthquake from someone that can both abuse the rain and not get owned thanks to it. Help anyone?

9. Manectrifier

Manectrifier AKA Treecko

Gastrodon and quagsire are both pokemon that are immune to water attacks and can fire of stab earthquakes. Gastrodon especially works well, because it also draws in water attacks aimed at your teammate. They both work very well with rotom-w, because of rotoms levitate and their immunity to rotoms discharge. Be careful for grass types though, especially ludicolo, which is common in doubles, benefits from the rain and KO`s gastrodon/quagsire with giga drain.

10. JnGnzlz

JnGnzlz New Member

Tried the Gastrodon... I just put Earthquake on him. So OP, made me win 8 out of 10 matches at 4-0, and the 2 I lost were 1-0. I'll go research a little more on him, and put him in the party, replacing Toxicroak. Thank you very much for all the feedback.