• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Doubles Team

TheFox

Expert EV'er
VGC Doubles Team

After a lot more testing with the last team of typhlosion, gengar, hydreigon, electivire, vaporeon and salamence i found it to be very weak to some of the more competive teams out there so heres my new and updated one

overview
;237; ;478; ;376; ;134; ;257; ;445;

;237;
Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

since fakeout users are in this year i've gone for one of the common ones Hitmontop since most of it's moves are pirority i decided to invest in it's attack and SP defence (although hp might a be better investment). with Technician mach punch and fake out get a power boost, sucker punch is for those annoying psychic types who can wipe hitmon out.

;478;
Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

gengar is gone in favour of Froslass since she is the same speed as gengar and that she has acess to ice beam which enables her to kill dragons such as latios, chomp, and opposite chomps, thunderbolt is there for rain teams and taunt is there to stop trick room (especially) and tailwind being used which poses a huge threat to blaziken when it's being boosted

;376;
Metagross @ Air Balloon
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Protect
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

metagross is a counter to sand teams with chomp as it floats enabling chomp to get a quick EQ while meta bullet punches/Meteor Mashes with out fear of being hit by a friendly but once the balloon s gone protect can be used to keep it alive

;134;
Vaporeon (M)
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Vaporeon stays for the moment since it's a realiable defender and attacker but overall it doesn't quite fit in the team.

;257;
Blaziken (M) @ BrightPowder
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Protect

i know speed boost blaziken is classed as an uber but it isn't banned from the VGC as it's a legit ability. protect is so that blaze can get one boost in before attacking and brightpowder (would of gone for life orb but chomp ahd already taken it) reduces the chance of certain moves hitting terefore increasing the survival and the chance of sweeping. Hi Jump Kick is one of blazes riskier moves sinc ethat if an opponent uses protect blaze loses alot of damage leaving it open to pirority moves such as mach punch, bullet punch and the like

;445;
Garchomp (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

mence has been replaced by Chop since it brings some much needed power and resistance to this team. it does a great with most mon on my team since it can attack (most of the time) without worry of hitting it's team mates

So guys whats your opinion on this team say what you feel

Last edited:

celestial phantom

Alright criticisms are good for better team building so I guess I can throw some out there.

The standard electivire, dragonite, and salamence look like good sets so I let them be. But, I really don't see where embargo is going to get you on Gengar unless there is some hidden trick to using it i don't know about as shadow ball will give it stab and is all around better for it. For vaporeon it should be used more for stalling if your going to use toxic so remove shadow ball and give it substitute because with water absorb and the pairing it with either of your dragons would allow it more subs and that shadow ball can go to Gengar as said before. For hydregion I would think maybe having dark pusle over payback but try both to see what plays better because with the sp. att investments it should hit just as hard and can cause that flinch factor if it outspeeds its opponent but it depends on what the stats of your hydregion are. Honestly, I can't say anything about typhlosion execpt that there are better pokemon you can replace him with but its all about preference so that choice is up to you whether to keep him or try different replacements out.

Well I hope those ideas helped you out.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
A very good mix.
I'd advise you like I've advised others before:avoid the choice eruption idea,as the lack of power when damage istaken will come back to haunt you.
Heat wave's a great idea.
Using a fire gem instead will give you a great eruption first thing.
Then after you've taken a few hits,blaze will kick in-which is just as good.

celestial phantom

Oh and just as an added thought I would get rid of hydro pump on vaporeon and replace it with scald just for the better accuracy and burn effect if you can't poison your opponent.

TheFox

Expert EV'er
@celestial phantom embargo is for mon that rely heavily on items such as choice scarf mon as they end up being stuck using the same move and lose the effect of their item

@Archstaraptor i use typho with scarf as he can get in an early eruption and out speed Krookodile which i find to be a nemesis with this team but i'll try you method and see how it goes

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
I use typho with scarf as he can get in an early eruption and out speed Krookodile which i find to be a nemesis with this team but i'll try you method and see how it goes

It works really well-and I think blaze would work well with heatwave(to clarify-after taking damage do NOT use eruption).
Another thing to consider is that Typhlosion's pretty fast already-but if that extra speed is necessary,well,it's your strategy,not mine.

Dragonite's a tank,so it wouldn't hurt to place Dragon Dance in the moveset.

Gengar's Embargo-taunt tactic is OK,but with Gengar,you could really get away with(for the benefit of your Krookodile problem)a switch in then a taunt;this means you might catch him using a ground move-which will naturally have no effect.

Hope this helps!

Ilan

Why would you want to use embargo when you can KO a choiced pokemon with shadow ball instead...? they are all frail anyway and if you are gonna hit then..

aso on hydreigon dark pulse>payback (always).. and hydreigon isn't 0HKOed THAT easily would consider lum berry on hydreigon for keeping it fast...
and on salamance use lum berry for the burns...

celestial phantom

@celestial phantom embargo is for mon that rely heavily on items such as choice scarf mon as they end up being stuck using the same move and lose the effect of their item

Well I have to admit that I never knew that little fact about it since I'm not willing to leave it up to a guess at what is scarfed or has what item to use it. Anyway it's a good strategy, but with the amount of bashing that gengar could do with shadow ball I don't really think that embargo would be of more use just to get rid of one poke as a stab shadow ball makes better use of your turn.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
also building for VGC and the big things that jump out at me are:

Typhlosian hits it's teammates..wanna watch out for that....Surf also hits the partner.

D'night: pick one, At or SA. Their AT is better (though mine is SA) so on yours I would lose Surf for Aqua Tail and do something like T-punch/Aqua Tail/D-tail/Rock Slide. Nice coverage, RS hits the pair and Dtail gets STAB while forcing a Switch if Dnite is facing a problem. Bold is good, Adamant (+AT/-SA) is better. go Adamant with 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe "The Speed EVs are given to outspeed max Speed Tyranitar, as well as many other standard threats that only aim to outspeed Tyranitar such as Jirachi and Gliscor. Dragonite can use more Speed in order to get an extra jump on these Pokemon if it wishes to do so. A Jolly nature is possible to get the jump on 252 Speed Adamant Gyarados, and maximizing Speed on top of this allows Dragonite to outrun Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran, but the loss in power relative to Adamant is significant." (from Smogon)

Mence: Outrage -->> dtail. see dnite

Would suggest dropping Typhlosian for something like heat Rotom and drop Hydreigon for something non dragon..Weavile or Lucario would work nicely. You could give Gengar Black Sludge and move Focus Belt to Mence. Rotom can use Hex and with Scald, Toxic, and the like Hex gets a serious boost. Add immunity to ground and more flexibility with fire/elec STAB plus walling and it trumps Typh. You could then pull Electivire and put in a ground or rock (though he looks pretty good).

I like Dnite but Mence seems to have a niche for you.

Nitpick: 252/252/4...not 6 ;)