• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

down and dirty: an SS team

cruentus

Got hold of SoulSilver and enjoying my proper return to pokémon since the origonal Silver. So far I have four badges and want to start taking steps to raising a longterm solid team.

This is a practical team that i want to use to take me through the rest of the game and beyond. I've studied the options and have come up with 5 candidates so I'll need some suggestions. This make up will be a little down and dirty at first as i rotate around along with a HM boat.

If you really think I should have a specific type of hidden power on a pokémon then you need to describe how i'm going to get that type without hours of monotonous breeding and testing. Otherwise leave it out - not interested. That goes for anything else that is simply impractical - I'll spend the time to breed on certain moves and get the required natures but not days attempting to get the best possible DV set.

So this is what i'm thinking. I have a Turtwig thanks to a kind friend with Platinum and a Magby through GTS trading. Otherwise I don't have access to Pokémon from D/P/Pt. I will have access to Pokémon from Fire Red and Sapphire but I never spent a huge amount of time on those games so I'm not all the way to the end - though i'm willing to play them more for the ideal team member.

I'm open to any suggestions of moves or Pokémon switches. Thanks for your help ... if you have a strong inexplicable need to help me out personaly my SoulSilver code is 4555 2329 0000.

;389; Torterra
Impish (+def), Adamant, (+attack). Careful (+Sp def)

Earthquak
Wood Hammer Move Tutor
Crunch
synthesis/leech seed/(giga drain?)

;467; Magmortar
Modest (+Sp atk)

Fire Blast
Thunder Bolt
Focus Blast
Cross Chop

;160; Feraligator
Adamant

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Earthquake

;462; Magnezone
Timid

Substitute
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Supersonic

;197; Umbreon
Careful

Mean Look
Baton Pass
Wish
Taunt

Last edited:

Final

I Submit to No One
Got hold of SoulSilver and enjoying my proper return to pokémon since the origonal Silver. So far I have four badges and want to start taking steps to raising a longterm solid team.

This is a practical team that i want to use to take me through the rest of the game and beyond. I've studied the options and have come up with 5 candidates so I'll need some suggestions. This make up will be a little down and dirty at first as i rotate around along with a HM boat.

If you really think I should have a specific type of hidden power on a pokémon then you need to describe how i'm going to get that type without hours of monotonous breeding and testing. Otherwise leave it out - not interested. That goes for anything else that is simply impractical - I'll spend the time to breed on certain moves and get the required natures but not days attempting to get the best possible DV set.

So this is what i'm thinking. I have a Turtwig thanks to a kind friend with Platinum and a Magby through GTS trading. Otherwise I don't have access to Pokémon from D/P/Pt. I will have access to Pokémon from Fire Red and Sapphire but I never spent a huge amount of time on those games so I'm not all the way to the end - though i'm willing to play them more for the ideal team member.

I'm open to any suggestions of moves or Pokémon switches. Thanks for your help ... if you have a strong inexplicable need to help me out personaly my SoulSilver code is 4555 2329 0000.

;389; Torterra
Impish (+def), Adamant, (+attack). Careful (+Sp def)

Earthquak
Wood Hammer Move Tutor
Crunch
synthesis/leech seed/(giga drain?)

Don't use Giga Drain on Torterra since it runs off its worse Special Attack stat. You would be better off sticking to Synthesis or Leech Seed for recovery. You could also use Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer if recoil damage is an issue. It is a move tutor move but you could also breed for it.

;467; Magmortar
Modest (+Sp atk)

Fire Blast
Thunder Bolt
Focus Blast
Psychic

Cross Chop won't be doing a whole lot with a Modest Nature outside of Super Effective damage. Go with Psychic. It's mainly filler since Hidden Powers are always a pain to breed for.

;230; Feraligator
Adamant

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Looks fine.

;462; Magnezone
Timid

Substitute
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon

Flash Cannon over Supersonic otherwise you're completely stuck against Ground Types even though there's still a few that get by but nothing is immune to Flash Cannon barring Shedinja so it may not be a huge problem after some Special Attack boosts from Charge Beam.

;197; Umbreon
Careful

Mean Look
Baton Pass
Wish
Taunt

Looks decent although I don't see why you need to Trap pass with Umbreon in-game since the AI almost never switches.

I personally find this set to be effective for Umbreon:

Umbreon
Sassy Nature
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Heal Bell / Toxic / Curse
~ Payback

Umbreon's Attack isn't great but Payback is its best attack. Wish supports the rest of the team, Protect is there in case Umbreon needs the Wish for itself, Heal Bell is a move tutor move that rids the team of status, Toxic cripples stuff that isn't Poison or Steel Type or Pokemon with the Immunity Ability and Curse boosts Umbreon's Attack and Defense while lowering its already poor Speed. Payback as previously stated is Umbreon's best Attack and it hits hard after a few Curses while Umbreon takes hits from both sides of the attacking spectrum rather well. A Sassy Nature is used to help ensure Umbreon moves last when using Payback as it doesn't have negative priority.

Comments and suggestions in bold. A fairly good team.

The Mighty Wurmple

;230; Feraligator

I can't have been the only person to notice that.

You can also run Stone Edge / Rock Slide over Crunch on Torterra, as both your STABs will already hit Psychics hard. Grass + Ground is almost completely walled by Flyers, and you'll want to take them out ASAP due to your weakness.