• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Down to the Fiery Finish (934)

I like how Ash had all of his friends congratulating him after the match because of Pikachu's top notch performance, compared to Alain who only had a Poké ball in his hand.

Nothingjustgo.

This goes against everything they have always set for the story. Ash always beats his rivals in the league.

Not Cameron :p.

Still, it's nice to have a well developed and well written character be the one to win the league. If our protagonist didn't win, at least another did.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Nice analysis, in my opinion this battle would've been better than Ash vs Paul if Ash actually managed to win. His loss just takes away all of the impact and tension for me.
Agreed. I will say this though, doing this analysis subdued my salt levels after watching le episode.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
* This battle was literally Ash v Tyson a decade later with better production values. "XY is the new AG."

Pikachu = Swellow
Smogonfrog = Pikachu

Bisharp = Metagross
Charizard = Puss in Boots

You know what, that only adds up even more similarities between XY and AG, and I'm behind that. Considering I use to think of BW as Kanto 2.0, it makes me wonder what similarities we'll see in the Sun/Moon anime.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
I hope Team Flare wins. Burn it down.

diakyu

The real problem here is Alain's terrible motivations for even being here. There's something seriously wrong with Ash losing to someone who has no real stake in winning the whole thing whereas Ash has literally dedicated his life to it. It's depressing. It's making a mockery of his hardships. It's a joke. This is what I meant last night by "next level horrid writing". I genuinely think this a new low from a storytelling perspective.

Nothingjustgo.

The real problem here is Alain's terrible motivations for even being here. There's something seriously wrong with Ash losing to someone who has no real stake in winning the whole thing whereas Ash has literally dedicated his life to it. It's depressing.

That's life, no?

Lisia

I'm so salty to the point I wanna snatch someone bald so bad. Nothing seriously can quench my thirst after all these hype. Welp.

greninjamaster

Totally called him losing or at the least tying. Where are those people saying the show is changing? Nah still the same show with the same formula. For what it's worth the battle was amazing.

You know what, that only adds up even more similarities between XY and AG, and I'm behind that. Considering I use to think of BW as Kanto 2.0, it makes me wonder what similarities we'll see in the Sun/Moon anime.

Hopefully none and the writers can get away from the tropes that have been used in the series for 20 years.

What I don't understand is what was mentioned before, which I had seen a while back, that I think a writer or something mentioned that if Ash won a league, the series would have no reason to go on. How does that make any sense? Isn't the league championship something that happens once a year? Having Ash defeat the Elite Four is something that makes Ash an actual champion of a region. But even if Ash were to defeat the Elite Four of a reigion, that's the thing, it's only one region. Kalos is the 6th region in the games so far, with Alola being #7. Even if Ash becomes champion of a region, there are still 5 (soon to be 6) regions where Ash isn't Champions.

Maybe I sound like a moron for thinking this would be possible, but I was hoping that Ash would win here, then Alola wouldn't be a 2+ year thing, since there aren't any gyms, and then maybe go back to a different region, see some of the new mechanics like Mega Evolution in, say, Hoenn, go back there and challenge the league there before heading on to the subsequent game's region. And at some point, maybe 10 years down the line, once Ash has finally become champion of each region, start challenging the Elite Four of each region and then maybe actually progress into becoming a Pokemon master. This is just getting unbearable.

The most annoying thing about all of this is that Ash's ultimate goal is to become a Pokemon master. That's what frustrates me so much about all of his losses. If his ultimate goal is to explore the world and meet and become friends with all sorts of people and Pokemon, then seeing him lose the league wouldn't be nearly as frustrating. The fact it feels like he's progressed so darn little since his adventure first started over 900 episodes ago is what kills me as a fan of this series.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I think the music choice is what really hit me so hard. They stop the hype music, and instead go with dramatic tension...?

The moment they stopped the hype music is the moment we all knew the ending. They just stopped trying to make it seem like Ash would win all of a sudden; the struggle never seemed to happen. Alain seemed mildly surprised at best and his charizard took a knee down as if the gigantic water shuriken was god damn nothing.

Seriously this boils my blood. Even discounting all the story telling issues, the previous battle raised my expectations of how the battle might, even if it didn't have DP's stronger focus on battle mechanics, it'd at least hype as crap build up with a strong, resounding conclusion that gets overturned by the end of the episode, but no, we just get...this.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
I feel that the writers would allow Alain to keep his title of league champion even if he was exposed, as he'd probably end up redeeming himself in the end and help Ash.

That's interesting to hear but it sounds too simple. Then again it's supposed to also target the younger audience as well so that may actually happen.

From my perspective, I think that Alain will help Ash in the end but lose his title as the winner of the league. He feels upset over what he did and decides to go on a journey to discover himself again. Before Alain leaves, Ash challenges him to a battle one more time against Charizard using Greninja with only his friends, Mairin, Diantha and Scaymore watching. The writers will make Ash win but technically it won't be considered an official league win.

The season will go on because Ash hasn't won a Pokemon League yet again.

Honestly the writers should end this season on a good note at least.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
The sad thing is: Ash lost because of tactical mistakes. If he switched out Noivern for Hawlucha against Weavile, he could've used Noivern against Unfezant and Talonflame against Bisharp, saving Goodra and Greninja for Zard.

And if he didn't win the League, what was the point of Pikachu getting 2 wins in the finals?

Red Pheonix

How's the pissed offium salts coming?

To be honest, I'm pissed off myself. Seriously, what was the point of the giant water shuriken? Ash losing is pretty much Deus Ex Machina(without a Deus Ex Machina) if you ask me.

Now the writers have one chance with the TF arc. They better make it count!

Also I'm hoping Alain loses the title of the Kalos league champions since he's involved with TF and Ash gains the title. At least, we could say Ash is the champion for once.