• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Down to the Fiery Finish (934)

Red and Blue

How's the pissed offium salts coming?

To be honest, I'm pissed off myself. Seriously, what was the point of the giant water shuriken? Ash losing is pretty much Deus Ex Machina(without a Deus Ex Machina) if you ask me.

Now the writers have one chance with the TF arc. They better make it count!

Also I'm hoping Alain loses the title of the Kalos league champions since he's involved with TF and Ash gains the title. At least, we could say Ash is the champion for once.

So Ash should just get the title by default? That would be worse then losing. He should earn the title properly

I know it makes no sense but this episode made me feel like watching the last 130 episodes of xy was kinda pointless :( the kid in me from 1999 (when the anime aired in Germany for the first time and I became a fan) is so disappointed

if Serena leaves and doesn't go to Alola I'm done, I already considered just not watching any more pokemon today, but I'm 100% sure if Serena leaves I'm done for good ... again ...I came because I heard Ash had a great team and a good chance, I stayed for that and Serena, one is gone now :(

sadly today my friends who told me that Ash was ''stupid'' and that the Pokemon anime ''sucks'' were kinda proven right and I just ended up looking like a naive idiot :(

I feel like I was just screwed with my pants on by a troll, and all simply for actually liking an anime ... something no form of entertainment should EVER make you feel

and the title of this episode is a giant double-slap in your face .... with a damn giant diamond ring on every finger ....

Last edited:

Cyclone

^ where it all began
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS POKEMON?

Do the writers of Pokemon ENJOY crushing the dreams of their children viewers? I honestly don't understand

greninjamaster

I guess my other hope was that if Ash did lose I didn't want him to feel ok with it. Like maybe break down, possibly crying that he was one Pokemon away from winning the league and now it's all for nothing. But instead he is smiling at the loss... Yea you can't win anything with that kind of mentality.

I would smile too. After the performance in the BW league, coming in the finals of a league is a massive redemption. Something Ash should be proud of.

if Serena leaves and doesn't go to Alola I'm done, I already considered just not watching any more pokemon today, but I'm 100% sure if Serena leaves I'm done for good ... again ...I came because I heard Ash had a great team and a good chance, I stayed for that and Serena, one is gone now

So a show that you've been watching since 1999 and you're just NOW gonna give up on it because a character that's been on for 3 years of the long anime run is leaving? That doesn't make sense but YMMV.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

At the end of the day, Ash losing here is no different to the past 5 leagues in the past 19 years. Nothing has changed other than the fact he's placed the highest he's ever done before.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Looking at this League by itself though...Part of me is glad that he lost. Having Ash win in such a short Tournament without any of his old crew, friends, or family members around just feels wrong. Poorly executed. Not worth it.

Basically this. Despite being a bit disappointed that Ash lost even with all that hype... I'm glad Ash lost as well. I don't want Ash to win a league that was honestly a train-wreck. Too many skipped battles, an underwhelming opener, full-battles that were solid but nothing to be amazed about, and no cameos of anyone outside the XY(Z) series.

Haunter ゴースト

As much as i hate the BW writers,you realise it wasn't them alone that decided Ash would lose right?

And even so, Ash vs Alains fight was good, a hell of a lot better than any battle in BW.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Is there any statement yet from the writers or the higher-ups? I mean Twitter and the TV Tokyo YT-channel is burning right now...

At the end of the day, Ash losing here is no different to the past 5 leagues in the past 19 years. Nothing has changed other than the fact he's placed the highest he's ever done before.

In the end, yes. But I feel like the buildup to the league was different and it seemed like Ash grew a bit. But, of course, it's still Trash Ketchum and he'll be a loser forever.

Can we get a #TrAshKetchum thing going? I really feel like it's warranted after this episode.

greninjamaster

And that I think is the reason Ash is taking the loss like a champ. Because it shows he has improved exponentially since the beginning of his journey.

Minios

Smoke weed everyday
The more I think about this episode, the more saltier I get even though I don't want to. What about the promise that he will win the League for his mom and the others trainers who couldn't participated?

The title bait: oh god don't let me start how they have baited us from Amourshipping to this League "victory". They clearly know what the fans want but instead of writting a logical plot they just throw in one of the most underwhelming "decisive" final clash that even if Ash win, I would still be unhappy.

The battle: a charizard who got weakened by a quick attack and a thunderbolt and still got the stamina to tank all the attacks from the Greninja who got KO by just 2 attacks...

Normal rasenshuriken is enough to stop Blast Burn but tail beast rasenshuriken can't? That's total bs that I will never overlook!

Yeah, that's it for my rant and I think after this I can still move on... Maybe he will win a league in gen 8 :p

Hopefully team Flare will heal my soul.

Last edited:

redBadger22

The Greninja that fought here was not the same one that fought against shota. Shame. Writers definitely rushed this particular battlem

Johtohfiller

DP Ash had all those things too, and it's arguable even more so than in Kalos.

Now that he has gotten to every stage at the league, he can actually win the next one.

I don't know why everyone is acting like it's over more than Ash v Cameron, when I legitimately thought the series would be in an endless loop of Top 8s and SFs.

This is the upside. I agree that we shouldn't conclude "it's over, Ash will never get a full victory" from this. He did place second which is his highest yet.

Hard to compliment their storytelling when this goes against how they've been framing their storytelling.

And this is the downside. Ash losing to Alain was a last minute bait and switch.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
So should I make room for the once-deserted "This league and series is crap in general" wagon? It's not too late~

I don't consider the XY series as a whole bad. In fact, I enjoyed it most of the time. However, the League is truly disappointing. No more excuses can support it, it has been truly a mess. The only positive things were the animations, Sawyer's battles and the first part of this match. The rest was average to mediocre at best.

greninjamaster

The title bait: oh god don't let me start how they have baited us from Amourshipping to this League "victory". They clearly know what the fans want but instead of writting a logical plot they just throw in one of the most underwhelming "decisive" final clash. Even if Ash win, I would still be unhappy.

That's all on you guys. Titles and 30 second previews are pointless. I've known that for many years and Pokemon is definitely not the first one.

SlimeStack

I just watched the episode with subs (the official Japanese subs, calm down!)

The actual episode was okay. Bisharp was cool, but Charizard and Greninja was disappointing. Two rivals using their aces should be one of the best fights in the series, but it was over very fast and the only thing of note to happen was the giant chakram that apparently just KOs the user.

Considering the writers have been building up to a win with Ash and the fact that they skipped half the league just to show the finals, it was very disappointing. While I'm sure this fight will mean something to Ash and Alain's relationship and Ash-Greninja will probably get its chance to shine in the Flare arc, I'm not sure it'll do much to redeem the Kalos League, where the only genuinely good fight was vs. Shota (they focused on having Greninja and Sceptile actually fight hard rather than working out how to make Greninja job the fastest).

Been said a million times already, but Ash really had no reason to lose here. Beating a Dragonite and becoming the Orange League champion didn't affect Johto, beating several legendaries in the Battle Frontier didn't stop him from entering the Sinnoh League. Why would beating a Mega Charizard and being the Kalos League champion affect the Alolan trials? What are the writers trying to achieve here? There's no danger of Ash advancing too far or getting too strong, because he always ends up being one of the region's strongest and then loses to the first Pokémon he sees in the next region regardless of his performance in the league.