• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Down to the Fiery Finish (934)

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
No it didn't take a rain-assisted Water Shuriken, the only move Greninja even used against Charizard before the rain ended was Cut.

Oh yea, it was Bisharp that got hit by that not Charizard. In fact, now that I remember that moment. I remember how irritated I was at it because Ash has literally no reason, NOT TO CALL OUT WATER SHURIKEN AT THAT MOMENT!

Janovy

Banned
I repeat:

The writers for this show have been the same since OS. BW writers and XY writers are the same.

The guy who wrote this two-parter has been a writer since KANTO!!!

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ I mean I honestly thought that this league had some potential if the full battles were the saving grace, but I'm pretty angry we skipped all the other battles Ash was in. I mean, you know Ash is gonna lose (writers), so why put emphasis on Alain sweeping through the league like we didn't expect that? I didn't even care much for the Tierno vs Sawyer match

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
So any news of people bombarding official Twitter or where those fake calls people made, I mean the amourshipping nuke made them apologize.

But something of this magnitude doesn't seem to be making waves? Is the romance of 10 years old more important than 20 years of fulfillment?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I knew going into this League that the majority of people watching this episode were people who only came back for this in order to put to rest/revive a 20 year old meme about Ash and Red. They never truly gave a family friendly **** about the series itself.

The meltdown today confirms it.

Markerz

So any news of people bombarding official Twitter or where those fake calls people made, I mean the amourshipping nuke made them apologize.

But something of this magnitude doesn't seem to be making waves? Is the romance of 10 years old more important than 20 years of fulfillment?

For all we know, the writers have something else in future episodes that they consider an emotional high to offset the loss. Then again, it's not even been 12 hours yet.

phanpycross

God-king
I repeat:

The writers for this show have been the same since OS. BW writers and XY writers are the same.

The guy who wrote this two-parter has been a writer since KANTO!!!

Dont.

The idea of BW writers magically showing up outta nowhere to destroy XY in it's crowning moments is a far more beautiful concept.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free

As Sonic Boom just posted, a large portion of viewers largely consisted of people who obviously quit the anime over a decade ago and only came back because of the possibility. They don't know enough/care enough about the anime to know anyone behind it. And as such social media raids are low (thank god).

Shippers are obviously a very different story.

Vidar89

Well it looks like that even the Animators are pissed about the Fact that Ash lost. Speaks Volume.

Franckie

Pros:
  • Ash making it to the finals
  • Ash narrowly losing the finals
  • Ash using Rain Dance as a form of proper strategy
  • Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Charizard had good animation
Cons:
  • Charizard shrugging off a Thunderbolt
  • Goodra getting KO'd without winning a match
  • Greninja not using water attacks on Charizard while Rain Dance was still in effect
Other than that I thought the conclusion to Ash vs. Alain wasn't shabby and was within my expectations. The animation was good as was the music.

From what i saw greninja took like 5-7 hits and charizard took about 8-11 hits most of them in his base form there was no way charizard should've hung on

Billybo10K

Silent Trainer

greninjamaster

Kanto didn't deserved a free pass since the tournament are all about battles. The same battles we know about the first 70 episodes. And they're still trash, especially when 25 episodes later we got one of the best 6vs6 fights together with Ash vs Gary in whole OS.

Also quality is based of facts. And the Indigo league have a ton facts why it's the worst.

You saw Ash in 5 battles in Kanto and Gary lose in his 4th round match which Ash won against an OP Bellsprout. Kanto league was much more enjoyable and character developed than Kalos. Kalos and Unova are the worst leagues by far.

patrickab7

It's too bad, really. I've followed the anime faithfully for quite a while...I started watching regularly around the start of the Orange League arc, back when Kids WB was showing reruns five days a week and we got to see Problem With Paras about once a month. My interest had gradually decreased over time, but I kept up on the show. REALLY liked his team this time around and Serena was one of the best female companions in a while (I say that as someone who was a pretty big Ash/Misty "shipper" back in the day). Not ashamed to say that I was psyched for this final...glad Ash made it as far as he did, disappointed that he fell short in the end.

For all we know, the writers have something else in future episodes that they consider an emotional high to offset the loss. Then again, it's not even been 12 hours yet.

I understand what you're saying. The problem is there's nothing that can redeem this loss. Ash STILL lost the League, despite the fact that he should have won. To me, none of the Team Flare stuff matters. None of the Team stuff ever mattered to me, it ends up being a big explosion fest with no real payoff beyond the world gets saved. Squishy will go back to protecting the region and the protagonists move on. It's not like Squishy/Zygarde would get caught.

I mean unless you mean to say something like Ash will get his head out of his rear and start taking on the Leagues again and try again and actually win, then it's really meaningless. Ash has been a loser for far too long, he has gone baby steps in the last decade in achieving his dreams and has failed in his goal in each region he's been in, in winning the region League Champsionship. Unless we actually start to see Ash truly grow as a character, and have the results to show for it, it's hard to get enthusiastic about the anime.

Kabuto

little punks!
Seriously, what's stopping Ash from winning a Pokemon League tournament? While I admit that it's a step up for Ash to make it into the finals, it's rather frustrating to follow a show for almost 20 years and have the main protagonist fail to win every major tournament he's ever entered. (The Orange League and Battle Frontier don't count as major tournaments, and even the Battle Frontier was almost 10 years ago at this point...)

So, yeah, it's really disappointing. Ash should have had this League in the bag, but always loses due to some form of reverse dues ex machina.

Indigo League: Ash fails to win due to a disobeying Charizard. If Charizard would have listened, I honestly think he could've wiped the floor with the competition there.
Johto League: Honestly, this is the one league I'll admit Ash lost fairly legitimately.
Hoenn League: Ash lost legitimately, but if Ash called upon any of his reserves, he should have had the competition in the bag. Even still, Pikachu should've taken that fight.
Sinnoh League: Ash lost due to a cheap ubers trainer with a Darkrai and Latios
Unova League: Even disregarding the fact that Ash didn't call on his reserves, he still should have easily been able to take out that Riolu
Kalos League: Greninja honestly should've had that fight dominated due to type advantage.

But yeah....the fight of Alain vs Ash/Charizard X vs Greninja was pretty good battle on its own, but.. I just dislike the greater significance it has for the series.

Last edited:

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Watched the RAW. Right now, I'm convinced Pikachu tanked more damage than Greninja.

But keep in mind Pikachu fought normal Zard while Greninja faced the mega.

Pikachu is still imo the one and only MVP of the league, no doubt about that.

And maybe Hawlucha in 2nd place.