• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Downpour - OU Drizzle RMT

gally_40k

Shiny Hunter
Hey, so I built this team a while back and haven't actually used it yet, so thought I would get an RMT on it to see what people thought about it. I'm sure there are plenty of weaknesses in it and that it can be improved greatly with some help, so any would be appreciated so onto the team:

Politoed @ Expert Belt
Ability: Drizzle
IVs: 31/30/31/30/31/31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Modest

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Grass

Politoed is my Drizzler, and hence kept safe for activating drizzle if they have a weather changer on their team, but with expert belt hits hard. Many people will think it is on a choice item if it hits hard enough and hopefully switch something in that I can then hit with one of my moves, which provide nearly perfect coverage

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
IVs: Flawless
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Defense / 16 Speed
Nature: Bold

Substitute
Rapis Spin
Toxic Spikes
Scald

If Tentacruel gets in and sets a sub up, it can lay down toxic spikes and spread burns with Scald very easily. With Black Sludge and Rain Dish in effect, it regains 3/16 HP every turn, so if a Sub isn't broken in the first turn, it can set another from full HP, or if it manages to get in, take a hit, set a sub on a switch, then by the time another Pokemon on their team is in, it will have recovered over one quarter HP if they break the sub first turn, or one half if it takes 2 (3/16 - 4/16 + 3/16 + 3/16 = 5/16 for first turn sub break, 8/16 for second turn.) With the given EVs, it is nearly as bulky in Defensive as well as Special defensive, and sets up the first part of the Defensive core trio: Tentacruel, Jellicent and Ferrothorn.

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Attack / 206 Speed
Nature: Jolly

Agility
Meteor Mash
Thunder Punch
Earthquake

Metagross is the tank on this team, with investment on Attack and Speed, and Agility to boost it even further on a switch. After a Boost it outspeeds most of what would counter it. It's moves provide good coverage and a crucial electric type attack for opposing water types such as Jellicent or Tentacruel. However if it comes in and doesnt have a boost then it will struggle to perform as well, and may be taken down without a single K.O to its name.

Jellicent @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Defense / 220 Special Defense
Nature: Calm

Scald
Will-o-Wisp
Recover
Ice Beam

Jellicent is my spin blocker and main burn spreader, with Will-O-Wisp destroying attacking mons on the switch, before being switched out to a defensive pokemon. Rocky Helmet is there for if it must absorb a physical hit, and will hopefully discourage another hit form a physical attacker. It completes the second part of my Defensive pivot. However at this point I am electric weak on the defensive side. Not to worry.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/00
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Defense / 168 Special Defense
Nature: Relaxed

Power Whip
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball

The main tactic is to get Ferrothorn in asap, set up some stealth rocks then see who they switch in, and counter with an appropriate Pokemon from mine. It can also be used as a Physical wall, and is both specially and physically defensive, finishing the defensive pivot for the team. 0 IVs in speed give Gyro Ball the highest power it can get, and with STAB is a hard hitting move. Power Whip is a second STAB and there for coverage.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed
Nature: Modest

Heat Wave
Bug Buzz
Hurricane
Quiver Dance

Volcarona may seem a poor choice on a rain team, but after a Quiver Dance, with a +1 to Speed, Sp Atk and Sp Def, and with 100% accurate Hurricane and STABs of Bug Buzz and Heat Wave, it covers most of its flaws. If it can get a second quiver dance off, then it destroys most things in the metagame.

Now I'm happy to swap out any of these if I feel a suggestion is good enough. Currently I feel pretty electric weak, only really countering electric types with Metagross, who struggles without an Agility boost, but once it has that it hits hard and fast. My Defensive trio (quad if you count metagross who can come in and take a good hit then dish out some pain) is slightly (i.e highly) electric weak and will suffer if Ferrothorn is gone. Other than that I have a slight speed issue, with every Pokemon in the team being out sped by a majority of the metagame. So anyway, feel free to tear my team and strategy apart thanks.

Attachments

• 186.jpg
    186.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 20

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Reopened due to changes made

gally_40k

Shiny Hunter
60 views and no suggestions?? Any advice will be good, just want some before trying out for VGC