• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP 182: Ash's Pokemons

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderblade12

When an attack is supposed to be some big, extravagant, game-breaking move like Draco Meteor, I don't think it being super-effective is too important.

hack

Banned
CyberCubed its wrong stated thing as facts when he no's that the Johto team its strong as its and he don't any proof at all.

KibaLG8, its wrong aswell for saying that the Johto team wasn't treated well which isn't true at all,because they was treated really damn well.

Locormus, Cyber and Starterlover1 haven't proven anything because non of you have anything to be proven that the Johto team its the weakest team which they never was at all in the first place and Ash taken the Kanto team to johto with him didn't take any spotlight away or any development which its stupid foolish of your's Starterlover1 and your wrong entirely.

Lucario at Service isn't right at all either he's wrong and i don't mean any harm at all,but a pokemon can still have great development with out having evolve at all and still become a strong pokemon with out evolving , even though the Johto team its coming back that still don't mean that they are going to be evolving either, there its nothing any of you guys can do about it since they are truly strong as its and you guys are just going to have to deal with it.

The writer most likely made it clear that they didn't want to evolve Cyndaquil or even Totodile for that matter since the have proven to be strong as its,the Johto team its just as strong and powerful as the Kanto team, and the Sinnoh team who its much stronger then the Hoenn team put together.

Locormus, you are really wrong about Cyndaquil not having a win in at the Johto League because he did, Cyndaquil did have a three on three battle were he beaten an Exeggutor,so you are wrong about him not having a win at the Johto League because he did, you need to go look at the Johto League episode to see for youself that Cyndaquil did beaten a Exeggutor in a battle and won it aswell.

The Johto starters and Noctowl battles were near great luxury experienced that the Johto team had for battles,the Johto team have some great develoment under their belt like and they did really good in a lot of battles just like the Kanto team did, the Sinnoh team its ten times stronger then the Hoenn team never was that much anyways, but only Sceptile come out of the Hoenn team as being a powerhouses and Swellow was strong aswell.

Totodile did have really great development, he took down that trainers Kingdra in the whirl cup battles and that was a real battle Totodile had which makes him really strong with good strength and power, Totodile also took out Harrison's Sneasel in the Johto League with his good dancing skills that he use in battles.

Locormus. Swellow had some great battles but they weren't a whole lot that you are trying to say which its not true at all, Staraptor its much stronger then Swellow and he have a much better move pool then Swellow never had, Swellow only good attack was Aerial Ace and that don't mean Swellow was all that powerful anyways compare to Staraptor who its a much better powerhouses then Swellow never will be.

Cyndaquil, Bayleef, and Totodile are all on the same level that Bulbasaur, Charizard, and Squirtle are all at, atleast the Kanto team and the Sinnoh team its more stronger then the Hoenn team,Locormus your wrong,because Totodile defeated that Charizard in a real fair battle and even though Jessie had it under her control, the battle still counts as being real wether you like it or not, only a few people want to see Totodile evolve and that don't mean its going to happen either and people love Totodile the way he its since he its trong after all.

Ash's great fire types are (Charizard,Cyndaquil,Torkoal, and Infernape who have a long way to go), Cyndaquil its much stronger then Infernape who still have lot of time to become stronger as of yet,the Johto team was really an interesting team all together,if the writers didn't want to evolve the Johto starters back in Johto, it does not mean they are going to evolve them now either since they are already shown to be strong as its and there its nothing any of you guys can do about it.

The Johto team have been shown that they are really strong and now that they are coming back they should be even more stronger with Ash training all of Ash's old and the Johto team don't need any damn redemption crap which made up nonsense to begin with, there was nothing wrong with them to start with and they are really a strong team all together.

Locorums your really wrong,because Charizard had more battles and more episodes then Sceptile ever did have,Charizard was with Ash a lot longer then Sceptile who only had the Battle Frontier series, Treecko and Grovyle had a whole lot of episodes with them in it then Sceptile who wasn't seen that much compare to Charizard who was use and seen a whole lot, also you are really wrong because Sceptile didn't come anywere near of beaten Brandons Regirock because it lost the battle just in a few seconds, Charizard took down Articuno with out any problem which showns he it ten times powerful then Sceptile will never be and nothing you can do about it either.

Lucario at Service you are wrong, because Ash's Johto team was on a high level of being popluar since they were really popluar back in Johto and a lot of people love them, the Johto team did have a lot of development & justice done in the Johto series and it its not the writers fault at all, it is the some of the fans fault for thinking that the Johto team was nothing more but under-development was never a fact in the first place and the Johto team was never considered to be weak at all and they were really strong wether you like or not, the Johto team had a lot of good improvement and there popularity was really damn high aswell, Lucario at Service, you need to stop acting like you no everything because you don't.

Starterlover1, you need to get your facts correct because you or really wrong, Cyndaquil defeated more pokemon then Torkoal ever did, Torkoal barely came close of defeated that Registeel a it lost very fast in that battle, but atleast Torkoal put up a great battle,also (the Kanto and Johto team, Sinnoh team) or the ones that's on top right about.

Sceptile lover, you got that wrong, Squirtle its Ash's water type powerhouses not Corphish that much, Squirtle, Totodile, and Buizel who its Ash's Sinnoh water type powerhouses, can beat Corphish anyday even though he its strong and all.

Last edited:

ssquaderi8

Ok yay first post.
Ok everyone, listen this is exactly what is going to happen in the next few eps.
While Ash and co. are travelling to the Sinnoh League they ‘run’ into Delia and Oak.
Oak tells Ash he has all of Ash’s Pokémon except Charizard, Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
He says that he called the girl who has Ash’s Charizard and she said he couldn’t come because he and the girl's Charizard bred and they are taking care of Charmanders and Charmeleon. Bulbasaur couldn’t come because because he was helping Tracey with the lab and Oak called Jenny and she said that they couldn’t make it in time for the League but she’ll try.
Then Oak sends out all of Ash’s Pokémon:
Torkoal: cries
Muk: realises that someone is in the bushes near Ash and co. which they didn’t realise and attacks the bush and sees Barry and hugs him, then Barry ‘fines’ Ash once again.
Bayleef: runs towards Ash
Cyndaquil: Ash tells Dawn to send out her Cyndaquil and the two immediately bond (not ash and dawn), eventually in gen v ash and dawn both bring along their cyndaquils and they breed and an egg comes out which brock takes making them all have a cyndaquil. Once brocks cyndaquil hatches Team Rocket come along and steal it, then the whole ep is about the parents of brock’s cyndaquil getting their child back, once it is back, both ash and dawn’s cyndaquil evolve into quilava at the same time.
Swellow and Noctowl: Chase Staraptor while befriending it, noctowl learns a really powerful move which later on in the sinnoh league arc ash uses and then beats barry or someone else.
The rest: Just stand there while dawn marvels them.
But then Ash realises his Heracross isn’t there but inside the pack there is a poke which kinda looks like Heracross then Oak explains that Heracross evolved into a gen v poke, which is when oak tells ash about the next region ash will go to.
Then when Ash reaches the sinnoh league and enters himself he sees the guy who took ash’s primeape and the guy gives ash primeape back and infernAPE and PrimeAPE immediately become friends after all they are APEs.
Then the first round begins, it is a double battle, obviously ash wins, but when the battle starts ash recognises the girl who is his opponent but can’t remember who she is. The girl cant rember ash though and she send s out her two pokemon one shiny butterfree and one normal one, the normal one immediately flys towards ash and the girl has to forfeit, ash then explains that its his butterfree and the girl says that her butterfree was with ash’s and she found her way back to her trainer and the girl decided to also catch the other butterfree. The girl then gives ash’s butterfree to ash.
Then once ash has reached the full battle stage jenny comes with squirtle and a surprise. It seems that when jenny was coming a pidgeot starts following jenny, squirtle realises its ash’s and squirtle says that hes going to the league and pidgeot wants to come but squirtle says don’t you need to protect the pidgey and and pidgeot shows that there are many pidgeots and he doesn’t need to protect them any more.
If there is a match ash vs barry (going on game)
Ash vs Barry – ash will win
Last 3 pokemon left for both
Pikachu beats Empoleon
Unknown beats Pikachu
Unknown (ash’s) beats Unknown (barry’s)
Heracross beats ash’s unknown
Ash’s evo of Heracross defeats barry’s heracross
Btw unknown is not the pokemon unown lol
I would love to see some evos in this ep
Maybe when TR tries to steal all ash’s pokemon totadile evolves.

That’s about all I can figure out now

Please comment

Seiryu

Resident dragon
So what was good about the Johto starters/Noctowl? Their battles weren't anywhere near as good as the Kanto/Hoenn/Sinnoh teams. Their personalities, at least IMO, weren't as interesting either.

Hang on. The Hoenn and Sinnoh teams having better battles, I'll give you, if we're taking things in the contexts of their original sagas. The personalities thing, too, I think. But Kanto? The saga in which Ash legitimately won half of his badges, if even that many? In which the only decent full battles were against Lt. Surge, Blaine, possibly Mandy depending on your opinion of Kingler's sweep, Jeanette, and Drake of the Orange Islands (as a note, I'm tempted to count his first two OI gyms as well, but I doubt anyone would actually call them battles)? Er--what?

Contrast his team in the Johto saga, in which every single significant match between the first and last gyms, versus a character of the day or otherwise, was won solely using Pikachu and his Johto captures. "But the Kanto starters were still there!" Charizard got written off not long after beating Falkner's Pidgeot, Squirtle not long after that, and Bulbasaur was practically an afterthought--more so than freaking Totodile and Noctowl, I'd argue--from then until he was Oaked. Not to mention that Ash actually earned all of his badges through battle and not just from saving the day from Team Rocket.

As a note, I'm not attempting to deny that the Johto team got shafted during the actual league tournament. Personally, though, I believe that, due to the development of their overall battling prowess (possibly besides Totodile and Phanpy, and I'm not sure the former is worse off than Torkoal was), the Johto team could have held their own in place of the Kanto group (besides, of course, Snorlax and Charizard). I also believe more or less that the Kanto pokemon were brought in almost solely for their own spot at redemption, much like we seem to be getting now with the Johto guys, because their own saga's battles and development sucked so much.

To hack:

I'm not going to sit here and sift through your post in an attempt to refute your opinions--I've better things to do with my time, no offense, and Locormus and other are doing that just fine. I can, however, correct a few factual inaccuracies.

First, and this is something both you and Locormus are mistaken about, for different reasons--yes, Cyndaquil did have a battle against an Exeggutor in the Johto league. Phanpy also had a battle against something not shown by the episode's picture archive. HOWEVER, it was not part of a three-on-three like you believe, but rather one of three one-on-one matches that were part of the league's audition stage; the only one shown in full was Pikachu versus some kid's Furret. Whether those other two battles were victories, I can't say--the pictures aren't conclusive. But the reason people don't count or don't remember those matches is because of this: combined, they only took up around fifteen seconds of footage. Personally? I don't count them either, for that exact reason. (Even if you were to assume they were indeed both victories and count them, that would still mean the entire Johto team only took down six out of twenty beaten opponents in the tournament. Sad.)

The other thing, about who has more appearances between Charizard and Sceptile--in which context are you thinking when you talk about this? If you're referring to those forms specifically (not counting their time as Charmander, Charmeleon, Treecko, or Grovyle), then you'd be right--Charizard has technically had more appearances. Everyone else, however, is referring to the characters rather than the specific pokemon--they are counting their time in their earlier forms towards their appearance count, and in that, they're correct as well.

EDIT: Regarding Charizard supposedly taking down Articuno with no problem--I think you must have missed how the battle ended with Charizard actually falling to the ground first and struggling to stand back up before Articuno was declared unable to battle, and possibly all of the massive blows the bird landed on him and all of Noland's out-strategizing before then. One of the closest matches we've seen, really.

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Lucario at Service isn't right at all either he's wrong and i don't mean any harm at all,but a pokemon can still have great development with out having evolve at all and still become a strong pokemon with out evolving , even though the Johto team its coming back that still don't mean that they are going to be evolving either, there its nothing any of you guys can do about it since they are truly strong as its and you guys are just going to have to deal with it.
Can you kinndly tell me how exactly i am wrong, and were i am wrong.

Also if we are wrong about a member of the johto team possibly evolving when they return for the Sinnoh League. Similarly you could be wrong as well about them not evolving, and even you could not do anything about it because things like that are totally dependent on the writers wish. We are only speculating things here like you are.

Cyndaquil did have a three on three battle were he beaten an Exeggutor,so you are wrong about him not having a win at the Johto League because he did, you need to go look at the Johto League episode to see for youself that Cyndaquil did beaten a Exeggutor in a battle and won it aswell.
Can you tell me which episode you are talking about because i can't seem to remember it nor find it on the main site.

hack

Banned
Wait a minute, look if they evolve fine i am not going to have a problem with, but if they don't it won't be such a big deal,i believe it was one episode at the start of the Johto League's auditions battles were Ash use Cyndaquil in the League's audition were it beaten an Exeggutor in a battle.

Last edited:

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
CyberCubed its wrong stated thing as facts when he no's that the Johto team its strong as its and he don't any proof at all.

KibaLG8, its wrong aswell for saying that the Johto team wasn't treated well which isn't true at all,because they was treated really damn well.

Locormus, Cyber and Starterlover1 haven't proven anything because non of you have anything to be proven that the Johto team its the weakest team which they never was at all in the first place and Ash taken the Kanto team to johto with him didn't take any spotlight away or any development which its stupid foolish of your's Starterlover1 and your wrong entirely.

You act as if we would be offended if the Johto team were actually as strong as all the others. This is far from the truth - they need some redemption given their subpar treatment in their own time. Honestly, you have been making the same claims in every post that you make, not backing any of them up with anime appearances, facts, or references to specific episodes.

The writer most likely made it clear that they didn't want to evolve Cyndaquil or even Totodile for that matter since the have proven to be strong as its,the Johto team its just as strong and powerful as the Kanto team, and the Sinnoh team who its much stronger then the Hoenn team put together.

It is also quite possible (and more likely) that they simply weren't strong enough to evolve. If the writers really did have so much faith in the Johto team, why is it that they utterly refused to use them all but fleetingly in the Johto league?

Locormus, you are really wrong about Cyndaquil not having a win in at the Johto League because he did, Cyndaquil did have a three on three battle were he beaten an Exeggutor,so you are wrong about him not having a win at the Johto League because he did, you need to go look at the Johto League episode to see for youself that Cyndaquil did beaten a Exeggutor in a battle and won it aswell.

Lol, those preliminaries were almost irrelevant - the only one shown was Pikachu vs. Furret. Cyndaquil's battle was hardly seen; it might as well have been a still.

The Johto starters and Noctowl battles were near great luxury experienced that the Johto team had for battles,the Johto team have some great develoment under their belt like and they did really good in a lot of battles just like the Kanto team did, the Sinnoh team its ten times stronger then the Hoenn team never was that much anyways, but only Sceptile come out of the Hoenn team as being a powerhouses and Swellow was strong aswell.

Great development...a lot of battles. Stop using these phrases and provide me with some examples that lead me to change my mind. And it is interesting that you continue to think that Sinnoh > Hoenn. Sinnoh's power is largely concentrated in Torterra and Infernape, while in Hoenn all of the members save for Torkoal maybe had their strength (and Torkoal nearly took down a Registeel, fully redeeming it). Glalie and Torkoal remained at Oak's while Swellow, Sceptile, and Corphish all went on to become true powerhouses (I honestly don't think Torterra can compete with Sceptile as of yet). Not to mention that Phanpy got a large amount of its development in the Frontier arc, as opposed to the Johto region where it originated.

Totodile did have really great development, he took down that trainers Kingdra in the whirl cup battles and that was a real battle Totodile had which makes him really strong with good strength and power, Totodile also took out Harrison's Sneasel in the Johto League with his good dancing skills that he use in battles.

Dancing skills? To win a league/beat a Kingdra? In an arc before the "performance" side of pokemon had been fully developed, they served as little more than comic relief. This applies to both Kingdra's battle as well as Sneasel.

Locormus. Swellow had some great battles but they weren't a whole lot that you are trying to say which its not true at all, Staraptor its much stronger then Swellow and he have a much better move pool then Swellow never had, Swellow only good attack was Aerial Ace and that don't mean Swellow was all that powerful anyways compare to Staraptor who its a much better powerhouses then Swellow never will be.

Refer to my previous post to see some of Swellow's good battles. If not, just think back to the battle against Winona, Juan, League Performances, and even Tucker's Arcanine and Swampert. Staraptor has done little in its current form, and has been around for almost the same amount of time. Honestly, Staravia is where it's potential has really shined, though Swellow obviously overpowers it in that form.

Cyndaquil, Bayleef, and Totodile are all on the same level that Bulbasaur, Charizard, and Squirtle are all at, atleast the Kanto team and the Sinnoh team its more stronger then the Hoenn team,Locormus your wrong,because Totodile defeated that Charizard in a real fair battle and even though Jessie had it under her control, the battle still counts as being real wether you like it or not, only a few people want to see Totodile evolve and that don't mean its going to happen either and people love Totodile the way he its since he its trong after all.

Lol no. Bayleef is by far the weakest of the grass types, and the same goes for Totodile (who is at the bottom of the water food chain). Cyndaquil is somewhat debatable, but it has to do something that matches Torkoal's battle against Registeel to prove that they are on the same level. Otherwise, it is last as well. And if you'll just watch the anime, you'll know that Jessie will never win out over the main characters, as TR are the bad guys and the writers want to make that clear. Only as Candy Mussalina does she stand a chance (and even then...her victory is unlikely). The only victory I can think of right now is her win over Dawn in that unofficial pokemon contest, with Ash's Aipom nonetheless.

Ash's great fire types are (Charizard,Cyndaquil,Torkoal, and Infernape who have a long way to go), Cyndaquil its much stronger then Infernape who still have lot of time to become stronger as of yet,the Johto team was really an interesting team all together,if the writers didn't want to evolve the Johto starters back in Johto, it does not mean they are going to evolve them now either since they are already shown to be strong as its and there its nothing any of you guys can do about it.

Cyndaquil? Stronger than Infernape? Maybe Chimchar but after that...it clearly falls behind.

The Johto team have been shown that they are really strong and now that they are coming back they should be even more stronger with Ash training all of Ash's old and the Johto team don't need any damn redemption crap which made up nonsense to begin with, there was nothing wrong with them to start with and they are really a strong team all together.

Locorums your really wrong,because Charizard had more battles and more episodes then Sceptile ever did have,Charizard was with Ash a lot longer then Sceptile who only had the Battle Frontier series, Treecko and Grovyle had a whole lot of episodes with them in it then Sceptile who wasn't seen that much compare to Charizard who was use and seen a whole lot, also you are really wrong because Sceptile didn't come anywere near of beaten Brandons Regirock because it lost the battle just in a few seconds, Charizard took down Articuno with out any problem which showns he it ten times powerful then Sceptile will never be and nothing you can do about it either.

Sceptile nearly defeated Regirock - the golem was on its last legs, quite literally, when it finally defeated Sceptile. Not to mention that the loss was obvious, as the writers would never let a Ash win his final Symbol in a possessed/evil state.

Lucario at Service you are wrong, because Ash's Johto team was on a high level of being popluar since they were really popluar back in Johto and a lot of people love them, the Johto team did have a lot of development & justice done in the Johto series and it its not the writers fault at all, it is the some of the fans fault for thinking that the Johto team was nothing more but under-development was never a fact in the first place and the Johto team was never considered to be weak at all and they were really strong wether you like or not, the Johto team had a lot of good improvement and there popularity was really damn high aswell, Lucario at Service, you need to stop acting like you no everything because you don't.

Starterlover1, you need to get your facts correct because you or really wrong, Cyndaquil defeated more pokemon then Torkoal ever did, Torkoal barely came close of defeated that Registeel a it lost very fast in that battle, but atleast Torkoal put up a great battle,also (the Kanto and Johto team, Sinnoh team) or the ones that's on top right about.

The match was actually significant in terms of length, or at least I remember it that way. If nothing else, Registeel is legendary, and Torkoal almost took it down. Cyndaquil has no such feat, not one that comes even close.

Sceptile lover, you got that wrong, Squirtle its Ash's water type powerhouses not Corphish that much, Squirtle, Totodile, and Buizel who its Ash's Sinnoh water type powerhouses, can beat Corphish anyday even though he its strong and all.

I have tried time and again to use actual evidence and instances to prove my point, as have Locormus and others. Your arguments are running in circles and consist of little more than "you're wrong, Johto was stronger than all but Kanto, and Hoenn actually sucked." If you could start actually backing up your arguments with facts (i.e. actual battles or development from the episodes), I think we'd get a lot farther.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Wait a minute, look if they evolve fine i am not going to have a problem with, but if they don't it won't be such a big deal,i believe it was one episode at the start of the Johto League's auditions battles were Ash use Cyndaquil in the League's audition were it beaten an Exeggutor in a battle.

Right, I guess we can agree on that then.. In any way I wasn't saying that they shouldn't evolve.. it doesn't mean that I'm persistent on that they should evolve, or not.. but that some form of upgrade wouldn't be a bad thing either. It's not saying that we don't want them to show up, but just that they grew in the time being, similar to Torkoal who came back as an almost legendary slaying Tortoise.

The thing is, the last time we saw them, it was Gen 2, there has been such an upgrade to the Johtostarters movepools in Gen 4. Ice Fang, Superpower, Shadow Claw, Eruption are just a few for Totodile and Cyndaquil. It would be good in my opinion if they got updated a little bit.

About that Exeggcutor, well.. I don't think you can blame us for forgetting that.. when you check the episode guide, the Machoke and Exeggcutor are counted as 'Wild pokemon' and there weren't any pictures linked from that guide, only if you check the Episode Pictures and then go to the episode will you see like one page with Cyndaquil attacking an Exeggcutor and Phanpy jumping up at something..

Also the episode description doesn't make not of this at all.. and in the sidebar it says Ash won his first battle in a one on one, thus Serebii made no note of these two battles... which is probably why these were forgotten, and if it wasn't for Seiryu, you wouldn't have been believed at all.. For that you can't blame us, because if you don't show actual proof, as Seiryu did, then you won't be believed.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Okay, I won't wade in on hack cause I reckon he'll be banned within a week anyway...

I have mixed feelings about the reserves. I just hope that none of them are used against Paul, and that there's plenty of battles in the league for everyone to share some spotlight while the Sinnoh team are still the main players.

118 118 113

Bulbasaurus
New moves

how about moves that may have been learnt? i'd rather like cyndaquil to have learned eruption tbh, may be a tad powerful but there ya go :) and noctowl with something like sky attack! or atleast aerial ace, though swellow and staraptor know it, its still better than noctowls current rubbish lol.
sceptile with frenzy plant? or somebody anyway.
glalie should learn something to, avalanche?
i know these are all powerful but i think something should happen with new moves :p

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer

How did i not read this part of the your post is beyond me (must be my stupidity) but here is my answer to what you said.

You are right about me not knowing how the situation of the anime fan-base was when the Johto series was airing because i was not part the fan-base at that time. I didn't know there was a fan-base of pokemon as well during that the time pokemon started in my country. I joined the fan-base when the AG series was going on in the japan (around the time of the release of the 7th movie in japan).

But from what info i have gathered uptill now, i know for the fact that the Johto pokemon were really popular but only on the game side of the franchise.

As for the anime side, they weren't that popular. I have read countless of posts in my 4 years on Serebii Forums regarding how people were bored & stopped watching the series because of how the Johto series was done. And also how there was a drop in viewership in japan during the Johto series was airing (even i was starting to get bored during the Johto series, mainly because of the number of reruns i had to see before the next season started).

Also i agree that the Johto team was nicely developed to a certain degree. But the problem is that the development which was done to them was low compared to the amount of episode there was in the Johto series (157 episode long). If the Johto series would have been around say 100 or 120 episodes, then it would have been ok.

As for the evolution thing, you have to remember that even Ash wanted his Cyndaquil & Totodile to evolve at one point during the Johto series and also not to forget the episode with the Ditto using girl where she commented at how weak Ash's Totodile was since it didn't even reach the level to learn Hydro Pump (thats what how it was in the dub though) and told Ash to train him properly.

Also none of Ash's Johto pokemon showed any signs of not wanting to evolve like Pikachu & Bulbasaur did in the previous series. It was the writers decision because they believe that Ash only needed one powerful looking pokemon & the others have to stay as cute & nice pokemons.

Here, from EP268. Like I said, though. Fifteen seconds for that and Phanpy's "battle." Is it any wonder nobody remembers or counts it?
Thanks for pointing that out. Even though i remember a lot of what happened in an episode till now, things like those 15 seconds still shots are really difficult to remember even for me.

Last edited:

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.

Oh really, I have a hard time believing that! Battle wise, they werent treated really damn well.

Heracross- No gyms, 1 League match.

Chikorita/Bayleef- 3 gyms, 2 League matches.

Cyndaquil- 5 gyms, 2 League matches.

Totodile- 1 gym, few Whirl Cup matches, 2 League matches.

Noctowl- 2 gyms, 1 League match.

Phanpy- 1 unofficial gym battle, 1 League match.

Overall, they weren't treated as well as the others. Cyndaquil seemed to be the best treated one out there, with Phanpy coming in the worst treated, but managed to get somewhat redeemed in the Battle Frontier Saga, which puts Totodile as the worst treated one. Bayleef was treated good too, with its affection towards Ash.

thunderblade12

I'm starting to think certain people (and not pointing any fingers here) have no idea what "character development" is. Because it seems to me that they think it's the number of battles they've been in.

I agree with KibaLGB and Lucario At Service. While I think the Johto team (aside from Totodile) all got some impressive wins, I don't see where all of this development certain people are seeing is coming from.

Cyndaquil had it's little episode about the flame on it's back, but that was lackluster. I think the problems with it igniting it's flame were only even mentioned twice before they got resolved. In the Bugsy gym battle, which made it seem like this problem wasn't that big of a deal anyway sense Cyndaquil took down Bugsy's (fireproof) powerhouse, and in the episode it was resolved in.

Chikorita/Bayleef is another that had some development, but it's development was so poorly handled that it wasn't even memorable. Both of it's "problems" were resolved in the episode they were introduced in. It was almost like they were just trying to toss two extra filler episodes at us.

Totodile had none. Absolutely nothing. LOL at the person that was trying to claim that it falling in love with Azumarill was "development."

Noctowl's personality was nice in it's debut episode, but was never seen again let alone developed.

Phanphy was another one like Chikorita. It got over it's fears pretty quickly. After that there was no more development for it.

Heracross, forget it. It wasn't even around long enough. Couldn't they have at least treated it like Gliscor? Keep it around until Ash got Phanphy.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Save?

Can you elaborate as I'm not sure what you meant.

Probably as in: keeping them fresh from damage until Paul.

Just look at what happened with Harrison in Johto. His Blaziken got all beat up during the battle with Ash, and Harrison thusly couldn't use it and was thus stripped of his powerhouse and therefor defeated.

I'm thinking Ash doesn't want to make that mistake, and therefor 'saves' his Sinnoh pokemon for the battle with Paul. Meaning that the reserves will take care of Nando, Conway and Barry...

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
EDIT: Regarding Charizard supposedly taking down Articuno with no problem--I think you must have missed how the battle ended with Charizard actually falling to the ground first and struggling to stand back up before Articuno was declared unable to battle, and possibly all of the massive blows the bird landed on him and all of Noland's out-strategizing before then. One of the closest matches we've seen, really.

Charizard took down articuno in three shots, and articuno hit him with about 7, 3 of which were super effective.

The fight is simply an inconsistency in power, much like Snorlax taking 48 supereffective attacks(focus punches) and still standing up and winning in one shot.

Either that or Noland's Articuno is pretty darn weak, and Greta's Medicham just plain out pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.