• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP 186: Ash vs Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeminied

This just has to be a 6-6. How anti-climatic it will be if we only get a 3-3 or 4-4.

If it isn't a two-parter then the battle just has to start right away and Team Rocket must stay the hell out of the way for once.

Didn't Ash and Paul's first full battle have Part One and Two in the title. Serebii has it in brackets so I don't know if it was actually part of the actual episode.

I also hope we have decent knock outs, or fainting of Pokémon. Not like the Nando battle where Staraptor got knocked out straight after beating Roserade. I also would like it if we didn't have too many double knock outs. It really makes me cringe when they happen, it just seems a cheap way of getting rid of two Pokémon at once.

deserthorse450

I'm praying this is 6-on-6 and a two part episode. I can't wait to see it and I really hope the writers don't flub this up like they did with Nando.

luner45

Oshawott!! Lets go!
I have only one thing to say gary misty may max.....TURN ON YOUR TV!!!!!!! Ash is in the league!!!
Why haven't they got a camo yet??

Champion Jared 14

I have only one thing to say gary misty may max.....TURN ON YOUR TV!!!!!!! Ash is in the league!!!
That's what I'm saying!!! Where are they??!?!

TrainerOfLegend

That's what I'm saying!!! Where are they??!?!

I hope they show up watching the TV!!!!!!! I mean, it was so awesome to see them do this in the Hoenn League.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

Aside from Gary who is in Shinnoh or was atleas who the f cares, maybe like TrainerOfLegends said they will appear watching it on the tv nothing else, seriously i have enough with Team Rocket taking half of the episodes i dont want more cameos to ruin the fights even more...

If they do appear watching it on tv or something else make them appear at the start of Paul or LT and thats it.

Misty, May and soon Dawn are occupied making users dumb they wont be able to attend to the league, this is only applied to Dawn in the next league.

TrainerOfLegend

If they do appear watching it on tv or something else make them appear at the start of Paul or LT and thats it.

Like last time. Ash vs Paul starts, and Ash manages to take out paul's first Pokemon. Misty looks at TV. Oak, Deliah and Travis look at TV. Maybe May looks at TV? And after that, we're set. Although a Pallet episode after a barrage of one-hour special(which I hope come) would be nice aswell.

Animefan145

Yay, at long last we'll have the climatic Ash vs. Paul battle! Its not that big of a surprise, since the rest of the named rivals will be out by this point (Nando, Barry, Conway), just hope the finale of this rivalry will be suitably epic. A full six-on-six battle, and hopefully Ash will use all of his Sinnoh Pokemon. Well, don't really care if Gible is involved or not, as its a new addition, but the other four (and Pikachu) deserve to be in the final battle.

Still catching up through the last ten pages or so, so sorry if this has been brought up, but wonder how many trainers will be left by this point (they started with 32 matches? Gotta go find that clip again). I expect after this Ash will be knocked out (probably by the legendary), but hope that this episode at least will be good. Wonder if its just one episode or two- if it focuses only on the battle, they can cram in a lot, but a two-parter might be more appropriate for a battle like this, but they might not have time for a two-parter anyway. Oh well, I'm just looking forward to Ash finally defeating Paul in a battle (and after this many years, Ash had better win).

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Hmmm, here's my prediction.

Ash's Team-

Pikachu- I'm sure Pikachu will be used against Paul, 1 Loss and 1 tie against Paul, its coming back..... hopefully for a win this time....

Torterra- Not sure who it will be battling, possibly Honchkrow but Im not too sure on seeing a mostly airborne Pokemon battling a Pokemon who can't even jumps up without the aid of another Pokemon(i.e. Getting Ice Punched by Electivire)

Infernape- No effing comment here, will Star obviously, and either against Torterra or Electivire, there was a reason why Infernape didn't battle Volkner's Electivire and its because it will against Paul's.

Buizel- Ash will use a Water Type, would be stupid if both trainers didn't use a Water type and Buizel needs a comeback battle. Maybe taking down Magmortar.....

Reserve #1: Glalie- I see many people referrring to Glalie and I agree with it too. A powerful Ice Type and disappeared after Hoenn, so it needs a proper goodbye.

Reserve #2: N/A- I'm actually unsure of his 6th choice, it won't Staraptor, Totodile, Bayleef, Quilava, Torkoal, Gible, or Heracross. Which leaves Snorlax and Swellow. I'd like him to use a Flying type, so Swellow could be used......

Paul's Team-

Torterra- No doubt about it, seeing it being taken down by Infernape or Glalie.

Honchkrow- I need to see Honchkrow being KO'd! Like I said, not too sure about seeing a Honchkrow VS Torterra battle.... >_>

Electivire- Knew it'd reach its final stage, and perfect for a final match against Ash's Infernape. Same theory as Infernape.

Magmortar- Same with Honchkrow, needs to be KO'd, and it never got a win against Ash, so I'd be nice to see it take down Torterra after it defeated Honchkrow(If Honch did battle Torterra) and then Magmortar falling to Buizel.

Ursaring- I hope Pikachu defeats it this time, if Infernape does so, I'll be angry..... no need for it to defeat Ursaring a 4th time, we got the point the 3rd time it defeated it.....

Reserve/New Pokemon- I pray that Weavile isn't used. Don't want to see Lairon/Aggron, Nidoking, or Haryihama in his time.... maybe a new Pokemon, like Rhyperior.

HoennMaster

Settle down people. Just because "Part 1" isn't in the title doesn't mean it won't be two parts. It will be.

But they aren't Ash. He is the main character, and the protagonist who this anime revolves around...and usually if Ash is confirmed to go on to the next region, that usually means he lost the last one.

So what if he's the main character? That doesn't mean he can't win. Him going to another region doesn't mean he has to lose, that's some stupid philosophy that the writers have.

J-W

As the episode is call 'Decisive Rival Battle', perhaps the next one will be something else. There is no doubt that Team Rocket will appear, for every gym battle, everything important they always stick their bloomin noses in it. I hope they get blasted off early so that they physically cannot get back to the league.

Grrr!

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
uhamm.. ok here is what I think.

my first plan was the original 6- (Pikachu, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel and Gliscor)

but if that's not going to happen then I will go with:
1. Pikachu
2. Infernape
3. Sceptile
4. Swellow
5. Torterra
6. Buizel

Kotone

actually the beta art confirms him going to isshu >.>
Hopfully this battle is better than the previous Ash vs Paul I really dont wanna see a pokemon thrashing the rest of the team ....
As for Ash Vs LT , I have high hopes for Ash winning but I guess LT is ganna win ..

He never said the outcome of the league would confirm his going to isshu. He said the awaited "reason". Even if ash wins the league he will go to isshu for another reason

thunderblade12

No, thunderblade, you don't get away with things that easily I'm afraid.

You cannot make posts that twist (and sometimes completely ignore) facts, then act as if said facts do not exist, and expect to get away with it.

Wouldn't try.

You can continue to act like you are ahead of the curve and smarter than everyone else

Because having an opinion on a cartoon makes one smart? I'm not trying.

because you're going against the majority opinion if you want

*Goth kid voice from South Park* Conformist.

but that doesn't give you license to cop out of the debate while making an uppity comment about the facts. They are based on what has happened, not "baseless implications"

Again, not doing that. Sceptile Lover said something Brandon allowing Torkoal to win in the first half of the battle. I don't recall anything similar to that being even remotely hinted at. I don't know if that's the "facts" you were talking about.

People rate Charizard highly because of the wins it has accrued. Not because of some conspiracy, but because of absolute facts occurring over a 10-year(ish) period.

Nver said anything about a conspiracy.

You focus purely on the Articuno win and compare it to Torkoal's loss to Registeel, while ignoring Charizard's other vital wins - for example, KOing three of Gary's Pokemon while overcoming type advantage twice.

Yes, and then going on to lose to Harrison without defeating a single pokemon. For god sakes people, I'm not saying Charizard's weak. I'm saying the anime in general relies on plot power and EVERY one of Ash's pokemons' power is inconsitent and constantly fluctuating. Might as well consider them all equals if, for all we know, Totodile can come back and take down Darkrai or some crap.

And I realize I'm gonna hear the same thing I always here. "Charizard lost to Blaziken despite a type advantage because Ash didn't know anything about Hoenn pokemon." So? There are plenty of times when Ash's first encounter with a pokemon is when he's engaged in battle with it. He knows little more than what the Pokedex tells him about it. Same case here. Rhyperior and Magmortar are two pokemon Ash first met with in battle.

Ash checking Blaziken in the pokedex prior to battling it:
http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/johto/273ps9.shtml

It's just a fact that Charizard has more powerhouse performances than any of Ash's other Pokemon, apart from maybe Pikachu - but even Pikachu's big wins have been tempered by awful losses. Since it began to obey (putting it on an even footing with every other Pokemon you judge it alongside, to do otherwise is unfair), it has only lost to very powerful Pokemon.

I doubt Blaziken was so strong that it exceeds the power of THREE of Gary's pokemon. Charizard lost here to fit the plot, meaning he is no different from Pikachu or any of Ash's other pokemon. He can be powered-up or weakened severely to fit the needs of the plot.

I doubt Dusclops was an stronger than Brandon's Ninjask or Solrock. I mean, nothing was specifically said to lead us to believe it is. Does that put Bulbasaur and Squirtle on equal footing with Charizard?

Just out of interest thunderblade, why exactly do you think people rate 'zard so highly? A conspiracy? Because it looks cool? Or could it maybe, just maybe, be the fact that it has the most impressive victories of any of Ash's Pokemon?

1. It beat a legendary
2. It trains at the Charicific Valley
3. Nostalgia

Sorry to drag this back a bit off-topic but I just don't think someone can be allowed to have such a biased and unfair agenda, then try and wiggle out of it with some would-be superior idiocy.

What superior idiocy? If anyone seriously takes their "expertise" on a cartoon seriously enough to call themselves intelligent because of it, they're pathetic. If you mean the strong sarcasm I sometimes, I thought it was obvious that I was being playful (lack of a better word.)

And isn't "Charizard is a god and any saga that doesn't include it automatically sucks" a biased opinion? Or is that okay because it's an opinion you share?

Seriously, just end it here. I wasn't trying to get out of anything; I was ending an off topic discussion. However, sense you specifically addressed me I thought it'd be rude not to respond.

That would be amazing....but wouldnt happen. Base stat totals of 600 mean nothing in the animé, and the writers would treat it as such, if Gible loses to Shuckle vs Conway, it will still be able to hammer a better Garchomp into pieces. V Nice idea tho ;)

People getting overemotional about why Ash wont win a league, what you have there has been stated over and over again by logical people (including you) and should be stickied. For Cyber.

Haha, and there was thunderblade telling me 'it will determine whether Satoshi will be champion or not.' ffs, I get lied to everywhere I go :D

IIRC I said it was a strong possibility, but never that it was confirmed.

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I believe that Ash will use Staraptor in this fight.

It along with Infernape ere the only pokemon to take down Paul's pokemon in teh full battle.

Straaptor has mostly been a reliabl pokemon for Ash to use in battle.

~ Beat Gardenia's Cherubi and weakened Turtwig before being KO'd.
~ Beat Maylene's Maditite and Machoke.
~ Beat Paul's Honchkrow in teh Pokeringer match and evolved.
~ Beat Candice's Medicham.
~ Beat Paul's Weavile despite taking in damage from Torterra'sStone Edge while using Brave Bird.
~ Beat Nando's Roserade.

of course it has loses as welll like the tie with Paul's Starly, against TR sometimes,etc.

But Staraptor was Ash's first Sinoh powerhouse per say. Infernape and Torterra later followed.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
This is something i've never thought of... Paul has already participated in the Kanto, Johto and Hoenn leagues. Once Ash knocks him out of the Sinnoh league, where's he going to go if not to Isshu? The Battle Frontier or something? I guess if he was to return to Kanto to do so, then another battle between him and Ash could occur quite easily.

I could quite easily imagine Ash being at home with his Pokemon after the Sinnoh league and he see's Paul walk past, thus resulting in a final quick battle at the ranch. That would be interesting.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
This is something i've never thought of... Paul has already participated in the Kanto, Johto and Hoenn leagues. Once Ash knocks him out of the Sinnoh league, where's he going to go if not to Isshu? The Battle Frontier or something? I guess if he was to return to Kanto to do so, then another battle between him and Ash could occur quite easily.

I could quite easily imagine Ash being at home with his Pokemon after the Sinnoh league and he see's Paul walk past, thus resulting in a final quick battle at the ranch. That would be interesting.

But would they have enough time for that?

Thats a nice idea you got there. All new Pokemon(that result into Ash going to the new region) debut with rivals. Elecitvire debuted with Gary and after fighting it Ash went to Sinnoh. Blaziken debuted with Harrison and Ash thought of going to Hoenn after that. Its quite funny that he also sees other new Pokemon but only those catches his eyes who beats him. But that would mean that Paul might beat Ash once again.

Anyways I hope Ash uses Pikachu, Infernape, Torterra, Buizel, Heracross and Snorlax against Paul. He could replace Hercross but best bet is Hercross cause all other Pokemon have same type except for Glalie and Muk. I already counted two ice puncher and Muk can be used against Conway as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.