• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP 187: Satoshi VS Shinji - Rivalry Battle Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I'm interested to see how his Gastrodon will play o_O

fanofafan28

lengendary champion
so it looks like drapion is hitting staraptor with ice beam possibly....not to mention ice is ashes team weakness... torterra gliscor and staraptor common weakness is ice soooo yea

fanofafan28

lengendary champion
so it looks like drapion is hitting staraptor with ice beam possibly....not to mention ice is ashes team weakness... torterra gliscor and staraptor common weakness is ice soooo yea

joep05

master of disaster
the thing is, ash has so many awesome pokemon he could use, whilst paul too has many powerful pokemon he can use, almost every time he makes an appearance in the anime he has a brand new awesome pokemon.

back when ash battled gary in season 5, this match was hyped up to be one of the greatest matches in the history of the anime, i think it lived up to that reputation, and i am expecting this one to exceed my expectation of being one of if not the best battle in all of the 650ish episodes that pokemon has made so far. when ash battled gary, he used what would arguably be THE strongest 6 pokemon he had out of his entire squad, back then it was fairly obvious which of his would be the strongest as they were the only ones in the team that were in there final evolved form (excluding bayleef) or just pokemon of pure power anyway (e.g. snorlax). it was acknowledged that gary was a tough opponent that required tough pokemon to beat him, this is exactly the same for paul, but nowadays there are many powerful pokemon that can be used in this battle against paul e.g. snorlax, charizard, a lot more than just 6 in fact. but based on the history of these 2 outstanding trainers, that too should come into consideration when choosing which pokemon to use.

Azumarill - Sometimes Paul gives pokemon a chance and lets them battle. Azumarill was one of them. But if they severely disappoint him, he will release them right away. I highly doubt Paul would use a newly caught pokemon that he wasn't sure of this late in the game. It's just not his style at all.

I wonder what that kid told his friends when they saw the new Azumarill on his team. Maybe something like 'Oh man! that dude was so cool, he gave me Azumarill for free'.

Anyways I hope people stop judging the battle. Paul is not a straw hat guy who caught a Heatran but was never mentioned again. He will use more strategies now cause this time he has Pokemon that can work great with in teams like Froslass using Spikes, Ninjask baton passing swords dance(one step ahead of Weavile).

HokkaidoMaster

As it has been pointed out before in this thread, Drapion can't learn Ice Beam. It looks like Pin Missile. Or some other attack that we've never seen before.

joep05

master of disaster
and based on what i said as mentioned above, and what i have also heard from other users as mentioned above, i would like to see:

paul

torterra - because it is pauls main battling pokemon

electivire - because throughout its tenure in pauls team, even back as an elekid, it was hyped up to be a powerhouse of pauls team, plus after the last full battle between ash and paul which saw electabuzz only just defeat monferno to claim victory may mean that it could be payback to see electivire go up against infernape.

drapion - i dont actually have a reason as to why i think drapion other than that it has already been confirmed, but what i can say is that i think it makes sense to use a drapion because it is yet another new and powerful edition to pauls team.

honchkrow - because like all of pauls other pokemon, honchkrow is very strong, it has used in a number of tough battles where it has yet to faint (most notably against a dragonite, managing to defeat it relatively easily).

magmortar - mainly because it would be a good match up to infernape (fire vs fire), on top of that, all of pauls pokemon have a habit of knowing reasonably unusual but powerful attacks, and i think it would be good for it to know thunderbolt to counter against water types, flamethrower because you cannot have a strong fire type pokemon without at least 1 fire type attack, and hyper beam (because its in pauls nature to have all his pokemon have an attack like this).

ursaring - becuase it too, is established to be very powerful, despite some flaws i.e. being easily defeated by one of brandons regi's, and twice being defeated by chimchars blaze ability. it has been used in a number of different battles where it has proven to be worthy of a place in pauls team for his ultimate battle against ash (especially since the last time ash and paul had a full battle, ursaring was reponsible for the defeat of buizel, staraptor and pikachu).

Last edited:

fanofafan28

lengendary champion
so this means if ash wins then he might fae themystery trainer....meaning another 6 v 6 ..... i smell accomplishment

thunderblade12

Torterra was never Paul's main battling pokemon. Electivire is it's most used pokemon and the first one we seen him use. Being his starter doesn't make Torterra his strongest either. He uses many pokemon throughout multiple regions. It was revealed that he caught Weavile and Honchkrow before coming to Sinnoh.

Honchkrow is very power, but how says these pokemon can't be just as good? Maybe even better.

I'm disappointed about Magmortar too. Not because of some epic, irreplaceable strength it possess or some fan-created rivalry between it and Infernape but because I personally like the species a lot.

Ursaring - Just no. That's the last one we needed to see again. And yeah, it polished off Pikachu, Buizel, and Staraptor but two of them had taken major damage by other pokemon beforehand. Pikachu was burned and Staraptor took Stone Edge from Torterra and many Sword Danced, super-effective hits from Weavile. Even Buizel wasn't in perfect health as it already battledMagmortar. Sense it seemed to have a slight upperhand against Magmortar, I'll give you that one.

BM14murph

Master Collector
Drapion and Electivire seem to be the only ones so far that will be serious big hitters which unlike his last team everyone bar Weavile was

The others will obviously be strong but seeing as we know Ash is going to take the lead pretty early on they can't be too strong

joep05

master of disaster
it sounds to me like ash is going to use the exact same pokemon as last time, this is a major flaw because as well as being somewhat typical, ash lost with this team, since the last battle ash has gained an infernape, torterra and gible, but this simply wont be enough against paul. sometimes when we watch the show and it holds its league festivals, we expect a lot of realism and unpredictability and excitement. as excited as i have been for the sinnoh league, it has been unrealistic e.g. ash' staraptor almost getting defeated by nandos roserade, somewhat predictable in the fact that its always a "scrapy" victory against a rival, and this hinders its excitement. after waiting 3-4 years for this sinnoh league and after all the hype that has been built up particularly around ash vs paul, to use the same team as last time will be a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! thats why i like paul, his pokemon are always so powerful, hes a no nonsense character and hes always unpredictable in terms of "which pokemon will he have on his team" and "what kind of attacks will they know"

joep05

master of disaster
it sounds to me like ash is going to use the exact same pokemon as last time, this is a major flaw because as well as being somewhat typical, ash lost with this team, since the last battle ash has gained an infernape, torterra and gible, but this simply wont be enough against paul. sometimes when we watch the show and it holds its league festivals, we expect a lot of realism and unpredictability and excitement. as excited as i have been for the sinnoh league, it has been unrealistic e.g. ash' staraptor almost getting defeated by nandos roserade, somewhat predictable in the fact that its always a "scrapy" victory against a rival, and this hinders its excitement. after waiting 3-4 years for this sinnoh league and after all the hype that has been built up particularly around ash vs paul, to use the same team as last time will be a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! thats why i like paul, his pokemon are always so powerful, hes a no nonsense character and hes always unpredictable in terms of "which pokemon will he have on his team" and "what kind of attacks will they know". it is particularly annoying because when you consider how many rubbish and pointless episodes they make nowadays where its like 3 seasons before ash gets all 8 badges and competes in the league festival, whilst in the past, it was only 1 and they rarely made nonsense episodes. the only things i like to watch in pokemon are: gym battles, league festivals, catching/evolving pokemon.

Last edited:

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Is it only me or do also some of you see people complaining after the battle that if Paul would have used Torterra he would have won the fight?

thunderblade12

seeing as we know Ash is going to take the lead pretty early on they can't be too strong

This logic here. I don't get it.

It just means Ash defeats one or two of his pokemon and gets the first wins of the battle. We have no insight as to how difficult it is to defeat those pokemon. They could be battles down to the wire.

If X is 3 and X is greater than Y doesn't mean Y equals 1. It could very easily be 2 or even 2.9

Pokemon math. Makes sense.

Sparklingwater

This logic here. I don't get it.

It just means Ash defeats one or two of his pokemon and gets the first wins of the battle. We have no insight as to how difficult it is to defeat those pokemon. They could be battles down to the wire.

If X is 3 and X is greater than Y doesn't mean Y equals 1. It could very easily be 2 or even 2.9

Pokemon math. Makes sense.

X = Paul's old team
Y = Paul's New team
Z = Ash's Sinnoh team

If X > Z (6:2 lost with in there previous battle)
If Z > Y (6:5 win for Ash in the league), then

Y cannot be equal to more than X.

That is also pokemon math.

Although people could still argue otherwise in a different context in the past 600 posts.

jefferies

^ yer, except Z isn't constant. Granted the change isn't fantastic, you can't argue that there have been changes. For example Ash's newly aquired Torterra and Infernape or Buizel's new ice punch, gliscor's giga impact et cetera. So just because Z(present) > Y doesn't mean Y isn't > X.

Last edited:

Sparklingwater

^ yer, except Z isn't constant. Granted the change isn't fantastic, you can't argue that there have been changes. For example Ash's newly aquired Torterra and Infernape or Buizel's new ice punch, gliscor's giga impact et cetera. So just because Z(present) > Y doesn't mean Y isn't > X.

Yes i know. People have been taking about it over the last 600 posts. But tell me something, if the battle ends with Ash wining, 6:5, would you confidently say that Ash is superior in terms of training style and pokemon stats/speed/power advancement towards Paul, or would you think the battle might have been differently if Paul use the old team, or mix up the best of the old with the best of the new?

cazatron

i'm not sure if it would be lazy or interesting to have the outcome of this battle be the reverse of the previous ash vs paul 6 on 6 battle, with ash winning with only two of his pokemon being knocked out to show just how much he's improved.

going by what we already know i think the match up's will go something like this:

drapion vs buizel
gastrodon vs staraptor
pikachu vs froslass
gliscor vs ninjask
torerra vs aggron
infernape vs electivire

(obviously theres going to be switching and stuff but i think they're the most logical face offs)
i'm going to be excited to see infernape vs electivire since theyre parallels, that electabuzz witnessed every one of it's evolutions and chimchar witnessed it evolve from an elekid.

also i TOTALLY did not see gliscor coming back squirtle/charizard style, i thought he was gone forever. COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.