• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP 187: Satoshi VS Shinji - Rivalry Battle Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdStaraptor

Sinnoh Master

gliscor&yanmega

To be honest pikachu doesn't have to be used in every battle. I haven't watched the Johto league in forever but iirc he didn't even use pikachu against Gary. Its already confirmed that he is using pikachu against aggron, but for the LT Pikachu doesn't technically HAVE to be used. If it means giving a spot for a reserve i'd be fine with it. Or even for the Conway battle(as it seems pikachu in TR would't be that good anyway)

It's not in every battle. It wasn't used against Nando, and it's not being used against Conway either. I didn't see or read Pikachu vs Aggron for Ash vs Paul, but I guess it's confirmed that both will be used then. This is probably the first time Pikachu is being used. It might get to fight the trainer with Darkrai or it might battle in another fight or not at all. But Pikachu was for sure going to be used at some point, and it's best for the Paul battle.

ijea4444

An X-Scissor can be fired, followed by whatever the purple streaks are if they're even attacks at all. If you couldn't notice, the background is purple as well.

I just can't see it using X-Scissor on a flying type, or using it while immediately using poison sting afterwards. And for it to make an X-scissor motion, while getting to the position to do poison sting, the X-scissor would have to be in slow motion as would the flying type. Let alone would leave the question as to what attack the flying type pokemon is using.

Sure its possible, but imo way to "convenient" of a situation.

EDIT:
It's not in every battle. It wasn't used against Nando, and it's not being used against Conway either. I didn't see or read Pikachu vs Aggron for Ash vs Paul, but I guess it's confirmed that both will be used then. This is probably the first time Pikachu is being used. It might get to fight the trainer with Darkrai or it might battle in another fight or not at all. But Pikachu was for sure going to be used at some point, and it's best for the Paul battle.
I was responding to another user saying that a slot would be taken up in the LT battle for pikachu.

PePer

What is this blue thing? Is Infernape under attack or could it a new move for Infernape?

Yeah, possibly Blast Burn, I had Flare Blitz on mind but animation would be red instead of blueish.

I'm really glad Infernape is getting new move, I hope it replaces dig because it's really annoying on such a powerhouse.

gliscor&yanmega

Also, does anyone think that Drapion could belong to Paul's brother? He was shown using one against Brandon.

That's actually the first thing that crossed my mind, but I really doubt it. Paul doesn't seem like the type to use someone else Pokemon. It's interesting nevertheless.

ijea4444

That's actually the first thing that crossed my mind, but I really doubt it. Paul doesn't seem like the type to use someone else Pokemon. It's interesting nevertheless.

In the episode Chim-Charred Paul was searching for a Drapion. Nothing is confirmed but its best to assume that he did manage to capture a Drapion.

Skull-Kid

That's true but he is one to use very powerful Pokemon. Considering his brother's reputation, I wouldn't be suprised if he borrowed his Drapion.

EDIT: ijea4444 is mostly likely correct. I forgot about episode.

Last edited:
Heracross, possible for the Darkrai matchup, but not 100% confirmed yet (although it was the same source as Conway's Dusknoir)

The match up is finally confirmed. Pics were released today of the so called trailer. I was right in that it seems like it's not from a movie theatre (they were taken in front of a tv), but I find it extremely odd that it's not online at this point.

You'd think with all the epicness it had, it'd be somewhere for people to see.

From what I saw in pics of the trailer...it had:

- Infernape's blue attack
- Pikachu vs. possibly Paul's Aggron
- Darkrai doing a Kamehameha sorta of move
- Heracross either using or countering a Hyper Beam
- Hyper Beam colliding with what could possibly be Darkrai's blue attack (which means Heracross used it)

and I think there were more.

And even though the pic with Drapion is small, you can definitely make out an X shaped attack. Could it be used by Drapion, maybe, but I think it's possible we could see Gliscor in the match.

gliscor&yanmega

In the episode Chim-Charred Paul was searching for a Drapion. Nothing is confirmed but its best to assume that he did manage to capture a Drapion.

Didn't it run away though? He might have found it later on or got another one. I doubt it's his brothers but it's possible, I'm hoping it's not though.

That's true but he is one to use very powerful Pokemon. Considering his brother's reputation, I wouldn't be suprised if he borrowed his Drapion.

Again it's possible, but I would go with Paul getting his own.

Alkaid

i think infernapes flare blitz is like that due to it using blaze or something

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
It looks more White than Blue to me..

But its a tackle so I'm not sure if its Blast Burn..It could be Blaze. White Hot Flames I guess??

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
It is probably Blaze. I can't wait to see Ash become victorious.

TheNewGuy

It looks like it has to be Flare Blitz to me. Just looked through Infernape's (massive) movepool and I can't see much else. Definitely a weird Flare Blitz, but remember "Entei"'s flames were purple in that movie (the 2nd or 3rd one, I forget).

I would have expected it to learn Blast Burn, in order to complete the trio (Barry with Empoleon's HC, Paul with Torterra's FP, and Ash with Infernape's BB), but maybe it won't get that. Either way, awesome. The news about this match and the scant possibility of Gliscor has pretty much pushed the Conway battle out of my mind. Can't believe there's another break before it...ugh.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Wow, that is one gorgeous looking attack! I would say its Flare Blitz, but it's blue... Could it be the animes dodgy take on Blast Burn?

Oh god, no more effing talk about Infernape learning Blast Burn or Flare Blitz, it's so damn annoying! First you say it was going to happen in the episode Monferno evolved into Infernape, then in the battle it had against Flint, then the Ash VS Volkner Episode, give it a damn rest already.... >_> its damn tiresome seeing the same posts over and over again in different Threads....

TrainerOfLegend

Well, I was owned. I was sure that Paul wouldn't use a Drapion, even arguing it on another thread...

Anyhow, here's hoping for the best battle in Pokemon history!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Reiterating my hope that Torterra doesn't beat Honchkrow, though. I know Torterra has received a power boost since it last fought the 'Krow but Honchkrow has beaten it so decisively, twice, that for Torterra to win (with no super-effective moves against it - it doesn't even know Stone Edge) against it now would just show that Ash's blind faith prevails over smart tactics. I know Ash's "love" for his Pokemon will ultimately be the deciding factor in this rivalry, but I just don't want it happening to this extent. It was shown to be a mistake when Ash kept Grotle in last time - and Reggie was correct when he said that.

Overall, I think it makes for a slightly more balanced team, and certainly one that is stronger defensively. Drapion only being weak to Ground, an attacking type Ash doesn't have anywhere on his team apart from Infernape's Dig, is also helpful. Not even sure if Dig counts tbh.

Sigh... Torterra should have a lot more bulk now. Besides that, look at what it did in the battle against Honchkrow as a Grotle... It didn't use Rock Climb, and it didn't use the Energy Ball swallowing stuff. Those are two major improvements on Torterra's side, along with evolving of course. Paul hasn't imagined the possibilities of this strategy yet, and could thus throw him of guard.

More balanced team? While 5/6 are weak to the moves that Infernape frequently uses? I wouldn't call that balanced at all quite frankly.. but that's my personal opinion.

To be honest pikachu doesn't have to be used in every battle. I haven't watched the Johto league in forever but iirc he didn't even use pikachu against Gary. Its already confirmed that he is using pikachu against aggron, but for the LT Pikachu doesn't technically HAVE to be used. If it means giving a spot for a reserve i'd be fine with it. Or even for the Conway battle(as it seems pikachu in TR would't be that good anyway)

I agree, Pikachu doesn't have to be used in every battle, it sat out during Nando and Conway, and who knows maybe in the second round. The battle against Gary has little to do with my argument, as it wasn't the last battle in the league. The last battle in Johto was against Harrison, where Pikachu fought against his Kecleon. In Kanto Pikachu fought against Richie's Butterfree and Sparky, and in Hoenn it fought against that Meowth in boots. So the bases for what seems to be a tradition are there.

Personally I wouldn't like Pikachu to continue this tradition, as I would like some other underused to be showcased, but since the Heracross thing is proven legit according to Ash6K, there already seem to have been made some cuts regarding the ten(eleven including Heracross) reserves that were going to be used, like it or not..

Wow, that is one gorgeous looking attack! I would say its Flare Blitz, but it's blue... Could it be the animes dodgy take on Blast Burn?

Dodgy, dodgy, dodgy, dodgy take on Blast Burn! xD Of course we haven't seen it in the animé yet, so who knows.. It definitely isn't Flare Blitz, because as we all know that moves entails Infernape being enveloped in regular fire with it's body being drawn like Staraptor's during Brave Bird. So it's not Flare Blitz.

My bets are on indeed Blast Burn, Return, Feint, Punishment or Vacuum Wave?

The match up is finally confirmed. Pics were released today of the so called trailer. I was right in that it seems like it's not from a movie theatre (they were taken in front of a tv), but I find it extremely odd that it's not online at this point.

You'd think with all the epicness it had, it'd be somewhere for people to see.

From what I saw in pics of the trailer...it had:

- Infernape's blue attack
- Pikachu vs. possibly Paul's Aggron
- Darkrai doing a Kamehameha sorta of move
- Heracross either using or countering a Hyper Beam
- Hyper Beam colliding with what could possibly be Darkrai's blue attack (which means Heracross used it)

and I think there were more.

And even though the pic with Drapion is small, you can definitely make out an X shaped attack. Could it be used by Drapion, maybe, but I think it's possible we could see Gliscor in the match.

Darkrai used Kamehameha? Lolzwut? Pikachu vs. Aggron is probably Paul, but you never know.. I wonder what immense pokemon the MDT must have to have been able to catch it in the first place. Also makes me wonder why Ash is the only trainer who uses unevolved pokemon...

I mean come'on! Pikachu, Buizel, Gible, Quilava, Totodile, Corphish and Bayleef are the only not fully evolved pokemon we're going to see? No minor pokemon from other trainers?

I think it's Gliscor.. The claws are glowing behind the X shaped attack, which is a big indicator to me, alongside with the purple, black and red parts of the body that it is Gliscor.

If that is Gliscor, the writers show more love to it than certain other winged, left behind Flying-types. >>

Love Gliscor more then who I assume you mean Charizard? Come back with your pointless, unbacked accusations after Gliscor has beaten a legendary or two and swept a mainrivals team. I count beating 3 out of 6 pokemon of a team a sweep. Especially the way how that battle went down.

I'll be happy though if Gliscor beats this Drapion, if this Drapion is to take out a few of Ash' team*. That would mean that it won against a gymleaders strongest, and a very capable pokemon of the mainrival. Plus, when you put Bastiodon and Drapion on it's battlerecord, that looks infinitely better then, lets say Muk's impressive battlerecord: 'Bellsprout'.

*But lets just hope that these couple of pokemon take out a few before biting the dust.

World Turtle

The image is to blurry, but with what looks like X-Scissors it could be Gliscor.

Also about Ash using his Sinnoh Team against Paul and how some of said it is a bad move on Ash's part because Paul can make a strategy to beat them.

Is anyone familiar with the term “No strategy survives contact with the enemy”?

It doesn’t matter what Pokemon Ash uses as long as he fights in away his opponent don’t expect. If Ash can use his Sinnoh Team in a a way Paul won’t expect any strategy he makes is worthless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.