• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP Shiny Discussion and FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wichu

So it works? Do you think there's an increased chance of getting a shiny Pokémon while fishing, or is it just a different way to reset the patches?

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
So it works? Do you think there's an increased chance of getting a shiny Pokémon while fishing, or is it just a different way to reset the patches?

I highly doubt that it affects the shiny odds of a fished pokemon, because fishing uses the games random-encounter RNG to determine shinyness at all times, whereas chaining has its own RNG(which is why you can't determine your SID from a chained shiny), which picks 4 numbers at a time and assigns a patch to each value.

As for the "patches being reset" part, its always the same patches that are chosen, just with different aesthetics. So theres no guarantee that the pokemon in those patches are changing, it could just be how the patches shake.

The only way to tell if shinyness can be affected whilst fishing, whilst on a chain of 40, would be to get to a chain of 40, and then just keep on fishing. If you were to fish up several shiny pokemon, then it could be assumed that it works, but a single shiny wouldn't be proof.

Last edited:

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Welli completed two chains and got the pokemon i was looking for
Nincada: 5 of em one jolly natured
Krabby: only one i chose to stop b/c got an adamant one roght off the back

CC_7567

Shiny Hunter
After Six Months on/off chaining I finally got my Shiny Shinx. It appeared on Chain 50 and was hoping to have my 1st Multiple shiny chain so I could also have Shiny Luxio and Luxray. It didn't work out but I'm happy enough with Shinx.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
No real reason to post this other than showing off, but I managed to nab my first Shiny Legendary a while ago: Shiny Azelf. Took about 3 days, but the first time I ran into it, I ran out of Poke Balls (wanted to grab it in a Luxury Ball). I caught it on my second go though. ^^

Naive with 30/26/30/30/11/29, for the record. Not perfect, but it was the only good Shiny spread I had access to. =/

Only other Shinies I've got recently are 2 Shiny Lucario.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

ChaosAngel

MINE!! :D
Forgotten to post here..
I gotten this shiny on the 3rd of July from the Masuda method.

002-3.jpg

005-6.jpg

It hatched around 1132-1137 eggs (lost track but I'm sure it's between those numbers) in my Pearl. I've breed with a japanese female Totodile with my Feraligatr and took me almost a week to get this awesome shiny(started at June 27th). It have egg moves of Hydro Pump, Dragon Dance and Ice Punch.

Youtube video of shiny Totodile(even the hatching of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUSNdFYuMlc

Fnording

I've gotten a shiny Machoke and Dugtrio randomly, and I had a Whismur appear on Emerald that roared me away! (*tear*)

Using the methods in this thread, I managed to catch a shiny Phanpy in about an hour, just resetting the radar over and over after #36. When I finally got it I was a bit disappointed because it is almost the same color as a normal Phanpy, just a tad bit of a lighter blue.

ToonLinkBrawler

Legendary Hunter
YA! Got a Shiny Shinx (on 12th Chain!), and leveled it up, and now it's a Lv. 28 Shiny Luxio!

Next up, ROSELIA!

Last edited:

Shephard922

Were it so easy.
I'm not going to mention my chained shinies, but I've found these randomly:
Tentacool in Gold or Silver, I think Silver
2 Whismurs, 1 used roar, 1 got deleted -both in Sapphire
1 Geodude, but my file erased itself -Firered
Gloom in Sapphire
2 Zubats in Sapphire, 1 got deleted (the day after I found it)
1 Golbat in sapphire
Squirtle hatched in Diamond using the Masuda Method.
That's all I can think of right now.
I had 2 sapphire versions, 1 erased itself and I threw it into a wall when it did. Same thing happened with my Firered and Emerald, but I had no shinies on Emerald. Lesson learned- don't buy used games off ebay.

CC_7567

Shiny Hunter
I'm not going to mention my chained shinies, but I've found these randomly:
Tentacool in Gold or Silver, I think Silver
2 Whismurs, 1 used roar, 1 got deleted -both in Sapphire
1 Geodude, but my file erased itself -Firered
Gloom in Sapphire
2 Zubats in Sapphire, 1 got deleted (the day after I found it)
1 Golbat in sapphire
Squirtle hatched in Diamond using the Masuda Method.
That's all I can think of right now.
I had 2 sapphire versions, 1 erased itself and I threw it into a wall when it did. Same thing happened with my Firered and Emerald, but I had no shinies on Emerald. Lesson learned- don't buy used games off ebay.

So what is this so called Masuda Method? Please explain thanks :)

JosJuice

Slightly inactive
So what is this so called Masuda Method? Please explain thanks :)
Breeding a Pokémon with a foreign Pokémon (NOT THE MEISTER'S MAGIKARP) will give the baby a 1/2048 chance to be shiny. This works in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum (most likely also HeartGold and SoulSilver).

Luppi

I shot my eye out.
I have found a shiny Floatzel. :] No pokeradar, in route 213.

The orange parts are now creme-colored.~

Ammako

Forgotten to post here..
I gotten this shiny on the 3rd of July from the Masuda method.

002-3.jpg

005-6.jpg

It hatched around 1132-1137 eggs (lost track but I'm sure it's between those numbers) in my Pearl. I've breed with a japanese female Totodile with my Feraligatr and took me almost a week to get this awesome shiny(started at June 27th). It have egg moves of Hydro Pump, Dragon Dance and Ice Punch.

Youtube video of shiny Totodile(even the hatching of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUSNdFYuMlc

You don't need to show the back of the DS, since on the DS, you remove the AR then put your game.

anmefan200081

On my way to battle Team Galactic for the final time in my Diamond, I found a shiney Clefairy. That was back on July 2nd. Have not touched it since.

Time/SpaceMage

Mr. Fix-it
I've found a shiny Machoke in Victory Road, and a shiny Haunter in Turnback Cave (both Diamond version).

Kenji

Feelin'a Urge for FR
Chaining Shinx in the Route below Jubilife, with Flaafy as a lead. Getting some pretty nice luck at the moment, compared to my usual; Highest chain without breaking was 25. >_> Anyway, going to go try some more.. wish me luck.

Flamer

My pride and joy of my D/P shiny collection is my shiny Charizard. Have several other shinies, but nothing that compares to her. Although shiny Mewtwo is pretty awesome too, as is shiny Regigigas.

purplepikachu

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!

I bred a shiny magikarp with 31 HP, 31 Atk, 28 def, and 31 Spe.

I cant believe my luck.

Platformnik

Hi, just signed up for these forums. :)

Anyway, I have a question about shiny chances that I'm still not completely sure of. Theres a lot of people saying different things. I'm trying to hatch a shiny using the Masuda Method. Some people are saying that it's better not to turn off your DS because if you don't, then eventually you will have to get one, where turning it off is more based to chance. What I don't get is, is which way does it work?:

A: The shiny Pokemon is assigned a number between 1 and 2000 (Lets round that 2000 number) once you start your game. That way if you hatch 2000 eggs, without turning the DS off, you'll definitely get the Shiny Egg by then. This would be say, taking marbles out of a bag, and not putting them back in.

B: Each hatched egg has the chances of 1 in 2000, therefore it only depends on that one egg. This wouldn't make any difference for keeping the DS on or off. This would be taking a marble out of a bag and putting it back in right after.

C: Something I didn't mention.

Hopefully someone can help. Though it really isn't a big deal about keeping my DS on, if I don't have to, why should I. Please explain how the shiny chances work well to me, cause I'm curious and I want to understand. Thanks! =)

XParasite

Oh geez I am so happy at the moment. I decided to play a bit of diamond to try to flesh out my pokedex, and first one on the list to go after was a spearow. I head out to route 225 for it, first battle I get into I see a Banette. I see stars as he comes out. Quick check on serebii confirms a shiny :D. Part of me was scared because I had my E4 team out (nothing under level 67). I toss out venusaur to sleep powder him, he has insomnia. Ultra ball just like that cant catch him either. So I swap to umbreon, confuse ray and he does a bit of damage to himself, and then an ultra ball works. Such an awesome feeling to catch any shiny, especially when you dont really have the patience/time for chaining with the radar.

Woot though!

Just wanted to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.