• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DP Shiny Discussion and FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammako

B: Each hatched egg has the chances of 1 in 2000, therefore it only depends on that one egg. This wouldn't make any difference for keeping the DS on or off. This would be taking a marble out of a bag and putting it back in right after.

There's your answer.

poh

yay as of now, i have the following shinies;

staraptor (my first and favorite[also the first i caught])
rhyhorn
nidorino
eggxecute <----- spelling?
psyduck
scyther (soon to be scizor)

actually everything but psyduck and staraptor were migrated but it took hard work to get them. pm me if u want the eggsecute or psyduck

Dustero

Master Shiny Breeder
Actually each egg isn't 1 in 2000 if you're doing the masuda method. If you kept your DS on all of the time and didn't turn it off AND only hatched eggs (didn't battle or change poke apps) then certain eggs WILL be shiny. Basicallly the game runs off a random number generator. Everytime you hit continue an initial seed is generated. Each frame has a set nature ability and if it's shiny or not. Basically frame 1 would be the first egg one can get. Now using the Masuda method around frame 1,500 or more will be your first shiny. Now it can be lower or it can be higher. It is just random, but if you don't use the musada method then the first shiny egg is usually around frame 10,000. Now if one kept his or her DS on and didn't turn it off and just hatched eggs, then he or she will eventually get a shiny. Also it is possible to find a shiny on frame 1 even, but it is EXTREMLY rare.

Also while chaining the higher chain one gets the more likely a shiny will appear. At a chain of 40 the ratio is 1 in 200 chance a shiny will appear. It doens't get lower than that. One can get a chain of 100 or more and it'll still be 1 in 200.

Last edited:

Bobblefighter

Relic Owner
My first encounter was with a shiny Electrike. I spend about 10 minutes throwing Ultra balls, because all of my pokemon were lvl 50, and any attack would have fainted it. I was so relieved when I caught the thing! Now I'm trying to get a shiny Tentacool.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
So do I now win the internet?

Cresselia.jpg

It took me a total of 6 hours of SRing to find it. It's bold with 31 in HP, 30 in DEF and 26 in SDEF. :D It has a 0 in SPD though. :(

And here's a video of me finding it.

Since you aren't allowed to post more than once a page, EDIT:

Nice Skitty! You unfortunatly can't say you're the first to every do it (I've had one for a few weeks), but it's still cool to have. What frame was your's on? Mine was like 15_ _, and I miss counted the flips twice-_-. Right now I'm working on a shiny Execute. I forgot to change my ID/SID back after working on my Plat, so I just wasted like 15 minutes doing the taps for nothing. Wish me luck.

Yeah, I know that I'm not the first. It's still fun though. And I did this with my game's original ID/SID (which I found out with my shiny Gastly). I can't remember the exact frame but it was 500-something.

EDIT: I just picked this up at the Mining Meseum on my first try.

07152009021.jpg

It's Jolly and it's IVs are 28/26/29/4/25/29. I'm getting better at this. :D

Last edited:

The Flash

I like shorts!
My brother just got a shiny gyarados while EVing his shiny Larvitar in Atk. Kinda ironic...

EDIT: After looking at it...its a jolly natured one. Level 55

Last edited:

COKTAL

<-Newest Shiny!!!
Nice Skitty! You unfortunatly can't say you're the first to every do it (I've had one for a few weeks), but it's still cool to have. What frame was your's on? Mine was like 15_ _, and I miss counted the flips twice-_-. Right now I'm working on a shiny Execute. I forgot to change my ID/SID back after working on my Plat, so I just wasted like 15 minutes doing the taps for nothing. Wish me luck.

CHARIZARRRD

Butter Trainer
a while back i caught a shiny scyther. i also had shiny chansey, shiny geodude, and shiny tentacool. i traded those though.

i have shiny uxie, azelf, and dialga, after sring for them.

Luppi

I shot my eye out.
I'm new at chaining so I tend to get low numbers....anyways it was trying to chain for misdreavus but a stupid nincada broke my chain at 16. So I decided to give up and started to walk out of the woods, and on the way I ran into a misdreavus and it was yellow.

I couldn't believe my luck. XD

i once was desperately trying to catch a shiny ralts before I knew anything about chaining. I would only get to about ten before the chain broke. When I was trying to begin a chain, I ran into a shiny bidoof. I screamed and threw a ball at it. I was sooooo happy, even tough it was just a bidoof. It was my first shiny in diamond! :)

Picxel

so I got this shiny schyter egg from the daycare man
on my diamond version.

I traded the egg over to my platinum version.
when it hatched in platinum it appeared as shiny at the hatching screen
but when I checked its stats the shinieness was gone.
I reset and tried hatching it again
and the same thing happend ):

why would trading an egg reset the pokemons shine??
anyone here able to explain why this is happening?

I traded the egg back to diamond
the pokemon stayed shiny
everything was fine
exept its nature: Rash X[

ty if you took your time to read this
sorry for my rotten english

Last edited:

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
Nice shinies, SkittyOnWailord.

I've actually prepped my Diamond version to SR for a shiny Cresselia. I'm gonna do the SRs slowly, though, probably 15 or less per day. I'd like to focus on getting a shiny Palkia and Shaymin in my Pearl versions first.

I hope they shine quickly. I've had quite the luck streak lately, and I hope it doesn't end with Rotom!

Ammako

Cresselia.jpg

It took me a total of 6 hours of SRing to find it. It's bold with 31 in HP, 30 in DEF and 26 in SDEF. :D It has a 0 in SPD though. :(

And here's a video of me finding it.

Yeah, I know that I'm not the first. It's still fun though. And I did this with my game's original ID/SID (which I found out with my shiny Gastly). I can't remember the exact frame but it was 500-something.

07152009021.jpg

Oh, so you're using the RNG method?

Cresselia is less impressive, then.

Flygonx

Legendary Trainer
my whole pokemon career starting from red and getting pretty much every game up to that i never caught a shiny, but about a month ago i was looking for elekid cause i was starting a new game and i found a shiny buizel...my first shiny ever... and it has a decent nature too (adamant). I know this isn't a trade forum but just throwing this out...i mite be willing to part from it for another shiny

shinyS33ker

Please be shiny
finaly my first eva shiny, my brother wanted to play on my ds he jus randomly started walkin round on saphire and thea it was a shiny spinda

VSU Dragon

Shiny Bug Hunter
;212;
Ok call me a noob if you want but what in the world is chaining? I'm desperitly trying to get a shiny Scyther (to evolve into Scizor) and I keep hearing people talking about Chaining and I don't have a clue what they are talking about. I also got a japanese Ditto that I'm using to breed with Scyther b/c I heard that makes it easier for me to get a shiny one.

Also the only Shiny I ever caught was a Shiny Dratini in the Safari Zone in Fire Red. I almost craped myself when my first ball didn't catch it! I'm a big fan of Bug and Dragon Pokes so I was very happy He is by far and away my favorite ever. Also I'm annoyed that I've only ever found the one b/c I have logged well over 300 hours in Ruby and Saphire, Fire Red, and Diamond and I only found that one shiny :(.

Also can you please PM me the answer b/c I might not see it on this page as it seems like it fills up quickly!
Thank you!

Well, after a myriad of wild pokemon, more than 100 levels gained, and 53 hours of my life, I finally encountered a random shiny pokemon. It is a level 44 shiny Onix with a jolly nature. I met it on victory road when I was training my pokemon for the Elite Four. What's also funny is that my pokemon obtained pokerus around the same time, but it was not from the shiny Onix.

wichu

Stop copying me :mad: First Mesprit, now these... :p
I got the same shiny Pokémon a while ago, with the same natures (different IVs).
Cresselia 29/18/31/31/31/22
Aerodactyl 28/27/21/0/30/31 (I think)

First try on Aerodactyl is pretty neat, though. My Cress was on frame 50-something :p

By the way, what's the highest frame you've tried? I've done a frame of over 6400 once. I messed up the first time >.<

EDIT: Picxel, yeah, the shininess depends on the Pokémon's trainer ID. When you hatch the egg on a different game, its trainer ID changes, so its shininess could change too (basically, it would be a 1/8192 chance again). Moral: don't trade shiny eggs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.