1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

DPA Americanized names

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by matt0044, Aug 26, 2012.

1. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

What if DPA had Americanized names?

Just wondering was Hareta and co. would be renamed into if Viz went that route. I mean, they already use the game character's US names so why not rename the Manga characters? They didn't even name Jun Barry.

What are your ideas? What would Mitsumi be renamed to? Hareta? Koya?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. BNVshark

BNVshark Follower of Cilan

Wait... what? DPA's already be released in the US, and everyone kept their names/

3. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, and he's asking what if their names were changed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. LadyTriox

LadyTriox ~Strange yet lovable corni fangirl~:3

I read this manga yesterday, it's really cool so far *nodnod*

I don't see the characters having dubbed names, though. They don't feel like the same Lucas/Dawn (she's not EVEN Dawn...XD; )/Barry to me. Jun seem's kinda calmer than Barry from what I seen. Keeping their orrigional names was a good idea, they feel different. XD I liked the different feel this manga had in comparason to other d/p/plt related things (I couldn't seem to get as into that genoration for some reason...o_O; but this manga really makes me wanna try to win pearl sometime for real XD its awesome. not to mension Hareta is HALLERIOUS...XD; lol).

5. Ludger

Ludger スポック

Well I see how they are named in DPa Thread that they should be renamed Harry,Barry, and Mary respectively for Hareta, Jun, and Mitsumi thought i forget where the post is. But I can see why they didn't name it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower Trying out new games

No, just no. Their names are fine n Japanese and with Mitsumi's character and past named her Mary doesn't really fit same applies with Hareta and well giving Jun his English name, sounds like viz can't differentiate any characters and then to them anyone who looks like Barry will be named Barry, even thought they have all different personality. All the localized Pokemon manga what have a character that looks like Barry will be all Barry clones. Come on, if they did that, then Viz's IQ must have been lower than that of a money.

7. matt0044

I'm just saying that mixing the US names of the game characters with the JPN names of the DPA characters seems a bit imbalanced. Nothing that ruins my read of the series but it makes me curious nonetheless.

8. Rex Kamex

Rex Kamex Well-Known Member

I feel the same.

In any case, I don't think naming them Lucas and Dawn would've been right. The manga in Japan didn't call Lucas and Dawn by their names Kouki and Hikari.

Barry's different for me though. In the games, he's Jun by default in Japan and Barry by default in America.

All I can say is that I guess Hareta and Mitsumi would be named whatever English names have a similar meaning to what the Japanese names mean. And Jun would be Barry.

9. e9310103838

e9310103838 Well-Known Member

Hareta and Mitsumi meaning in Japanese is sunny and light (similar Hikali......). ;245;

10. matt0044

Anymore guesses?

11. tysonlee

tysonlee New Member

Red, Gold, Ruby, Yellow, Diamond, Sapphire, Silver, Green, Blue, Pearl, Platinum, Crystal, Emerald, Black, White. Is it Awesome?

12. matt0044

This thread is about the DPA Manga not the Special Manga, I'm afraid.