• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DPA month 30 day meme!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So many fandoms have theme months, so a few of us on tumblr decided to declare November the theme month for DPA! And with it comes a meme that I realized a few days late that I should share here. Though feel free to just have general discussion and such, though there's a thread for general DPA discussion already (plus, of course, fanfic and fanart and such should the need arise), so this thread should be for the meme questions. Don't feel pressured to do all of them, but of course that's much appreciated. Since this is supposed to last for the month, try to span things out a bit, too. Oh yeah, and if anyone also on tumblr wants to do this there, tag your posts with "dpa month" so we can all share. Though doing it here is great!

1. How did you start reading DPA?

2. Who is your favorite hero?

3. Who’s your favorite villain?

4. Favorite chapter?

5. What’s something you wanted to see happen that didn’t?

6. Favorite pokémon?

7. If DPA had a voice cast, who would you want to hear in the roles?

8. Favorite B-2 butt abuse moment?

9. What’s your favorite Hareta scene?

10. Did you have any predictions about DPA that came true?

11. Did you have any predictions about DPA that didn’t come true?

12. (November 12th is Cyrus Appreciation Day) What’s your favorite Cyrus scene?

13. Do you have any headcanons for DPA?

14. Favorite single panel?

15. What’s your favorite Mitsumi scene?

16. What’s your favorite Jun scene?

17. Favorite pokémon battle?

18. Favorite Gym Leader/League battle?

19. Not including Charon, what’s your favorite Galactic Commander scene?

20. What’re some alternate outfits you want to see the characters in?

21. Favorite shipping? (feel free to divide this into categories if need be!)

22. What’s your favorite Koya scene?

23. Who’s a game character you wanted to see appear that didn’t?

24. Who do you think won the last battle, Hareta or Koya?

25. What’s your favorite Charon scene?

26. Who do you think won between Mitsumi and Cynthia?

27. What’s your favorite Piplup/Empoleon scene?

28. What are some pokémon you would want to see the characters with?

29. Where do you think Hareta went after the epilogue?

30. Given about three years since the series ended, what do you think the characters are doing now?

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Sure, why not?

Looked for Pokemon manga in general. Found the first six volumes online (lolpiracy). Decided I liked them, and went on to spend actual money on the actual books.

matt0044

I was into Manga and I liked Pokemon. Saw volume 1 and here we are now.
Mitsumi if only for how she's like Nami with her tragic past and chemestry with Hareta. Speaking of which, Ihara must've liked One Piece given the obvious inspirations. Anyways, I do with Mitsumi's past was fleshed out. Like in a separate chapter after the epilogue.
Cyrus because of how he was adapted. Mars was cool too.
6. Favorite pokémon?
Misdreavus.
Luci Christian as Mitsumi, Colleen Clinkenbeard as Hareta and Eric Vale as Jun. Yeah, I can't help it but make One Piece Comparisons. It's just asking for it.
Don't make me choose!
When he showed Cyrus that he wasn't mad. Really made an impression on the man.
Not really.
I didn't see Mitsumi being a part of Team Galactic before if that counts.
When he thought Piplup was going to use Earthquake but they were only shaking the bridge. God knows how blown his mind was (at Hareta's riduculousness).

I'll save the rest for later.

Jade

Myuu...
will do all at once cauz im bored and dont go on often

what's DPA? Diamond pearl adventure?

Cynthia?

Cyrus?

4. Favorite chapter?
Dunno.

5. What’s something you wanted to see happen that didn’t?
dunno/

6. Favorite pokémon?
Luxray

no idea

what's that

no idea

never made any

never made any

dunnnno

13. Do you have any headcanons for DPA?
dunnno

14. Favorite single panel?
dunno

15. What’s your favorite Mitsumi scene?
whos mitsumi

16. What’s your favorite Jun scene?
what's a jun

17. Favorite pokémon battle?
something good

18. Favorite Gym Leader/League battle?
uhhh

19. Not including Charon, what’s your favorite Galactic Commander scene?
mars?

20. What’re some alternate outfits you want to see the characters in?
durrr?

21. Favorite shipping? (feel free to divide this into categories if need be!)
diamond, pearl?

22. What’s your favorite Koya scene?
who is koya?

23. Who’s a game character you wanted to see appear that didn’t?
who not in game?

24. Who do you think won the last battle, Hareta or Koya?
herata? dunno

25. What’s your favorite Charon scene?
no idea

26. Who do you think won between Mitsumi and Cynthia?
cynthia?

27. What’s your favorite Piplup/Empoleon scene?
pecking you hard?

28. What are some pokémon you would want to see the characters with?
luxray with anyone

29. Where do you think Hareta went after the epilogue?
Somewhere good.

30. Given about three years since the series ended, what do you think the characters are doing now?
Doing something.

TBH never read DPA myself, only Special :p

matt0044

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Oh wow seriously what. Why would you fill out a meme--or whatever the heck you did with "donno" and "what's this" for every answer--if you've never read the series? The whole thing is still in print so you have no excuse for this.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
OK, voicing in agreement with "the hell are you even DOING, Jade!?" >_<

Now for my answers up to this point....

1. The whole series was at my local library, believe it or not. I have since purchased copies of my own.
2. Jun. I like Hareta and Mitsumi just fine, but they had some problems that kept me from loving them.
3. Mars. I loved how she developed each time she appeared: from bad to not-so-bad to kinda good to straight-up good.
4. All the Spear Pillar chapters in Volume 5.
5. Cynthia vs. Cyrus. Special remains the only Pokemon media that has fulfilled that wish of mine.
6. Deoxys.
7. The only one I can name off the top of my head is Corey Burton as Cyrus. The Brainiac voice just so suits him.
8. Can't decide; they were all pretty funny.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Oh, and the point of a 30 day meme is for you to fill out one answer per day. There's no point if you do it all at once.

1 - I read scans online. When they stopped after a certain point, I decided to buy the series in physical format and finished it that way.

2 - Hareta.

3 - Cyrus

4 - "Battle Against Team Galactic…and Mitsumi!"

5 - A Battle Frontier arc. I want more Pedo Palmer.

6 - Hareta’s Luxray, because I’m biased.

7 - Dunno. I don't think about voice acting.

8 - [img139]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5ofnD31b1qm9e91.png[/img139]

I'm biased.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I guess I'll start by answering the first question:

How did you start reading DPA?
I first read about DPA on these forums and thought it sounded cool. I then saw a copy of volume 1 in a bookstore soon after and decided to buy it.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Oh yeah I should...mine. Some of these will be long so I'll spoiler them. I'll post a week at a time, since I've done all these on tumblr (remember, if any of you are doing this there, tag them with "dpa month")

—How did you start reading DPA?

I’ve been a huge Pokemon fan for ages, literally longer than some of you have been alive, and I was really disappointed when Viz stopped translating Special and MPJ back in the day. So when I heard that a new series was coming out, I had to get my hands on it! I had no idea what it was like other than apparently it was pretty silly, but I liked volume 1 a lot.

But as it turned out, I’d read it before then! See, I had a CoroCoro issue that had a strange comic in it where “the boy hero” and “the new bad guy” battled on a rope bridge, so when volume 2 came out, it clicked. I’d read it before I read it!

—Favorite Hero

[SPOIL]This is easy—Mitsumi. Admittedly I didn’t like her at first, since she seemed kinda airheaded and weak. But when her past was revealed, especially her training methods and her fear of her own power, things made sense. Sending a Starly against an Onix lines up with how she was trained to come in at a disadvantage to make herself/her pokemon stronger. And her infrequent battling is because her strength and capacity for cruelty terrifies her. To seek victory in competition is to line with how she’d been raised to seek triumph at all cost and take what she needed from others. And she can’t give in to that, especially since she has what she needs now—and what she needs are things she could never take from anybody, because you can’t take friendship and love.

She tries to be normal, and I think her real self shines through more than she realizes. When she enthuses about the lottery, when she hangs out with Rowan (and gets drunk? I’ve never been sure if they were drunk or just reeeeeeally relaxed in the Skymin chapter), when Hareta does something silly, etc. But she doesn’t seem to think that she does. She’s trying to find her true self and it seems like that quest overtakes her sometimes so that she doesn’t see that she already has what she’s looking for.

There’s a single panel right near the end that nicely summarizes her tranformation. When she and the Galactics show up in the field, recall her position. She’s in front of them, leading them, and it’s such a powerful image. Even Cyrus, the man who she followed for so much of her life, is following her in turn. It’s become a turnaround, a real new beginning, and Mitsumi is ready to show them the way.

It’s a really inspirational story.[/SPOIL]

—Favorite Villain

[SPOIL]Well, Cyrus of course.

See, when I first played Pearl, I thought he was interesting and I felt bad for him, but I didn’t feel compelled to think much further.

But DPA is what hooked me. After his duality and inner turmoil was displayed as early as volume 2, it made me go back and examine the game. Surely I’d seen it there, but DPA made me *think* about it more, and soon, well…yeeeeeah.

Speaking just about his DPA incarnation, it’s pretty fascinating. He wants to create a world where “everyone can live smiling” yet says “emotions only cause pain”. He wants to battle and have fun, but can’t let himself, and in fact gets freaked out and paranoid when he finds himself enjoying something, with the reaction to destroy it as a distraction. He’s so terrified of what Hareta represents that he pursues Mitsumi—who he’d previously been content to let go—manipulates her back into joining them, and nearly destroys her life as a means of forcing Hareta to hate him. And why? Because a pure being can’t exist, Cyrus reasons, in an imperfect world. If the world can produce someone like Hareta, then it isn’t a lost cause. And if it isn’t, then everything Cyrus has ever believed and worked for is a falsehood. All those years, every crime he’s ever committed, for an illusion.

Of course, Hareta doesn’t relent. He can’t, not because of the world, but because of himself. And to hear that the boy still has sympathy for him, for a man who’s about to destroy the world, who’s done so many terrible things, that it stays Cyrus’s actions for several hours. He even tried to save Hareta himself—examine the panel where Saturn grabs him by the shoulder and tells him there’s no time. Cyrus is leaning away from him, and no time for what?

Of course, this and the subsequent scene revealing that Cyrus waited on the Spear Pillar for hours are almost comical in their futility. To do all that for someone he planned on killing from the getgo, something he even attempts upon their reunion, is an act of basically the heart of sentimentality.

And no matter what, his plan was for nothing. Everything he worked for was futile regardless, and he’s faced with the realization that he was no creator. He could only be a destroyer, wiping out everything with no hope of rebuilding it. And it terrifies him. The destruction of the chain had impacted him, but the chain could be rebuilt. But to know that the entire universe was about to end and it was entirely his fault, that his miscalculation and zeal, his absolute consumption with his own rightness, had blinded him to even the possibility of an error, shakes him to the very core. As much as he hates the flawed present world with every fiber of his being, even he would rather have that than nothing at all.

And to see that Hareta is fighting against all odds to save it, and to see that Mitsumi—who he’d given up for dead—has arrived with reinforcements, gives him a spark of hope. He’s still so overwhelmed that he can’t do much at all, and even can barely stand, but he shares his observation about Dialga’s powers, and he and Mitsumi lead their respective sides to aid Hareta in bringing an end to the destruction

Between Hareta’s will, Mitsumi’s emotion (though she and Hareta seem to switch these attributes at times), and Cyrus’s intelligence, they embody the three spirits of Sinnoh. I’m not sure if this was intentional, but it seems to fit.

Cyrus never recants his position. It’s entirely likely that he still believes that he was right. But he has something he’s never had before—hope. Examine the things he tells Mitsumi during volumes 4 and 5. That everyone is alone in the world, that friendship is a lie, that everyone must take what they need to survive. He raised her to believe these things because he himsef believed them. DPA does’t delve into his past like the games do, but in a way it doesn’t have to. We know so much from just that. This is more than a plan to him. This is his entire life that he has to reevaluate in the end.

And through accepting that, the story becomes so incredibly powerful. When he dissolves Team Galactic, it’s the last strike of his old life. He can move on now, something Mitsumi—now in the role of mentor—had already done. The two of them switch roles by the end, and the story of how that plays out is pretty much the story of the series. Hareta may be the main character, but he doesn’t really change at all. He’s almost a plot catalyst, with Mitsumi and Cyrus taking the primary impact of the storyline.

Of course, I could go on all day about Cyrusfeels.[/SPOIL]

—Favorite Chapter

Volume 5, Chapter 5—“Bonds Connect Across Space-Time…”

It really brings everything that’s happened so far to a head. Hareta’s quest for Dialga comes to an explosive end as he puts his life on the line to protect all existance, Mitsumi comes to a leadership role, using everything that’s happened to go between the sides and command some of the most powerful trainers in the region, as well as finally see her former overlord for the desperate young man he really is. And of course that’s from Cyrus coming to grips with his own imperfection, that everything he worked for was literally for nothing and now his only hope, the only hope for everything, lies in the boy he previously saw as his biggest threat. And that he’s not alone. None of them are, and they all put aside their differences for the greater good—the real greater good.

Plus it’s got massive TBHshipping. I frickin’ love TBHshipping. And here, Jupiter’s aid is vital, so that’s great too. Jupiter is woefully underused in everything but DPA so I love how well she’s used here.

And let’s face it, the scene where Palkia smashes the Master Ball is a hilarious way to avoid a capture. The part in the show where the crazed fisherman throws a Master Ball at the Whiscash that catches it on its tongue without triggering it is one of the funniest moments in the entire series, and this reminded me of that a lot.

I’m glad that the series continued from here, but it would have made a satisfying end if this had been the finale. It really had almost everything it needed.

—Things That I Wanted To See In DPA That Didn’t Happen

The number one thing that I wanted to see was the battle between Hareta and Cyrus. They never really did have one, not for fun like they were after. I thought for sure it would be the subject of the epilogue. And it really sort of breaks my heart that it didn’t happen, though of course it still could someday.

Other things I wanted to see:
-Hareta vs Volkner
-Rotomtimes! Bringing the one known figure from Charon’s past into play would have been ideal in a series focused around the power of friendship. And it would have made the spongy scientist’s denial of such things all the more horrifying.
-Cyrus’s grandfather. They go right near his house, after all, and the mood whiplash that would have inevitably unfolded (bemoaning his grandson’s spiral into madness, followed by, say, embarassing baby pictures!) would have fit perfectly into DPA’s storytelling style.
-Some back story for the commanders. We get nothing from any incarnation, and that’s disappointing.
-More Cynthia! She seriously doesn’t do much at all aside from flirt with Mitsumi and sit on a Galactic grunt.
-Include Looker’s Croagunk even if just for a single panel. It plays a relatively pivotal role in the game, after all.
-Regigigas having a continued purpose. It seemed to just *exist* after Hareta got it and didn’t really do anything befitting its status.
-Something about Hareta’s mother. Is she alive? Where is she?

Maybe Ihara has some answers. Idk.

—Favorite Pokemon

Hareta’s Regigigas. Though I hate how it was handled with its bizarre power and importance drop, it had the most distinct personality. Piplup was prideful and Minun was happy, but Regigigas was derpy and loyal and got flustered easily and in general took things in stride.

In general, that is. It tends to think in very simple terms, and its first impression of Mitsumi was that she was an enemy, so when it saw that she was overpowering Hareta, it tried to attack her directly. It was pretty gutsy of it to do so, and only comes off as cruel because we have a deeper understanding of the situation than dimwitted Regigigas could comprehend. For its level of understanding, it was the most logical conclusion.

—faaaaancasting!

Though I have different headvoices for Cyrus and Jupiter than they sounded like on the show, I can’t really affix any specific actors to them (though I do like the idea of Melodee Speviak as Jupiter).

Saturn though…Usually I don’t have him sounding like this, but in DPA I can’t shake the idea that he should sound like Zim. Go back to the scene at the lake in volume 3 and just try to read it, now that I’ve shared this with you, without imagining him addressing Cyrus as “my Tallest”.

Koya came to me almost immediately. When he talks to Mitsumi in the hallway, damn man. Ken Ichijouji’s voice is a requirement there, specifically Emperor Ken.

And that's the first week's worth! BTW, if anyone could alert Ihara to this it would be awesome. He's on Twitter as @ihashige

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
...Really? No one else did this? I'm a bit surprised. You know, this thread wasn't just for the meme but for the special month too.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Sorry, I forgot to post these. ;^^

9. His reunion with Kaisei. ("Dad, it's you!" "That's right, I'm your father!" "You're my dad!" "I'm your dad!")
10. Saturn being a double-agent when working for Charon. I knew there was no way he'd really turn on Cyrus.
11. Damn near anything involving Cynthia I predicted didn't come true since she was criminally underused.
12. THE GRAVEYARD! (You know the scene!)
13. Not really.
14. I don't have one.
15. Her whole gambling addiction in the two Deoxys chapters.
16. His "Big Damn Heroes" moment where he saves Hareta and Mitsumi from the Galactic base exploding.
17. Hareta vs. Saturn at Lake Valor.
18. Hareta vs. Gardenia
19. My two favorite Mars scenes are her teaming up with Deoxys against Kangaskhan, and her and Mitsumi getting charmed by Minun.
20. I wanted Mitsumi to switch to a new outfit for the Platinum volumes. The "Dawn look" was getting old.
21. Mitsumi/Cynthia
22. When he lies to Looker and lets Mars go. It's the first time he acted like a decent human being, not just an officer of the law.
23. Bebe
24. Hareta
25. When Hareta, Koya, and Jun hide behind a rock in the Distortion World and Charon is just there and starts talking to them as if it's no big deal.
26. I think it would have been a draw.
27. Piplup evolving into Prinplup and then immediately into Empoleon. That cracked me up; Prinplup got shafted!
28. Charon with Rotom.
29. Johto, what with HeartGold and SoulSilver being part of Gen IV.
30. Hareta's still on adventures, Mitsumi following close behind. Jun is training to succeed his father. Cyrus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and B-2 have found some sort of legal way of living. Looker is still after Kaisei (who is the Lupin III to Looker's Zenigata), while Koya is investigating Team Plasma. Professor Rowan, the Gym Leaders, and Cynthia are the same as ever.

Usually I don’t have him sounding like this, but in DPA I can’t shake the idea that he should sound like Zim. Go back to the scene at the lake in volume 3 and just try to read it, now that I’ve shared this with you, without imagining him addressing Cyrus as “my Tallest

I picture him sounding that way in Special too. In both mangas he's just so comically over the top in his fantacism and devotion to Cyrus' goals that the voice really suits him.

Last edited: