• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DPPt EV Guide/Help Thread READ WHOLE POST BEFORE ASKING!

I decided to start EV training a newly hatched Charmander this morning, and with it I kept track of every battle it went through and every stat EV it got. I also kept track of the amount of vitamins I gave it as well. However, something a little weird happened. I gave 9 Calciums to Charmeleon, however, when I tried to give it the tenth one, it said it wouldn't have any affect. I checked, and it still had 150 EVs left for Sp. Atk and 224 EVs overall. Thinking that perhaps 9 was the new limit, I decided to try the same thing with Protein and it stopped at 8, with still 152 EVs left for Attack and 144 overall. I thought that perhaps I miscounted, but all my records add up correctly, and I in fact only used 8 Proteins and 9 Calciums. Is there an obvious reason for this that I'm missing?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. The vitamins will stop working after the EV stat has reached 100 or over. Calcium and Protein stopped working because Sp. Atk reached 104, and Attack reached 100 exactly.

Not sure if this is true or not, but that's what it seems like... I'll try on other Pokemon when I get more money.

Last edited:
I began EV training only a couple of days ago. It seems easy enough, but I'm still confused on one point.

Are EVs given to all pokemon that were active in a battle, or only to the pokemon that dealt the finishing blow? To give an example:

Leafeon, who is equipped with a Power Bracer, is currently fighting Machop. I switch out Leafeon for Kadabra, who deals the finishing blow to Machop. Does Leafeon get 5 Attack EVs and Kadabra 1 Attack EV? Or, is Kadabra the only one who gets the EV?

Thanks in advance!

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
I began EV training only a couple of days ago. It seems easy enough, but I'm still confused on one point.

Are EVs given to all pokemon that were active in a battle, or only to the pokemon that dealt the finishing blow? To give an example:

Leafeon, who is equipped with a Power Bracer, is currently fighting Machop. I switch out Leafeon for Kadabra, who deals the finishing blow to Machop. Does Leafeon get 5 Attack EVs and Kadabra 1 Attack EV? Or, is Kadabra the only one who gets the EV?

Thanks in advance!

Every Pokemon that gets EXP.-Points gets EVs. Doesnt matter who finishes it off.

You are right, Leafeon would get 5 and Kadabra 1 Att EV in this specific scenario.

Last edited:

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
What Evs should I give to my Brave larvitar with Curse ?

dude2.0

Banned
do you get ev's by fighting someone on wi fi?

HikenNoAce

I'm going to start building up a team soon but first I have a noob question

Charizard@Salac Berry
Naive Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

~ Belly Drum
~ Fire Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Substitute / Endure

What does the 4 defense mean? How does that work out? or if it was 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe what would the 36 mean? How do they work out? I'm not understanding that part
Edit/Delete Message

Volteon

Back I guess??
One small thing, don't use this thread to request for EV spreads. There is the Competitive Rate My Team and the In Game Team Rate forums for that.

Post here about problems, questions about EVs and suggestions for first page please ;D

EDIT:
as for above poster, everything has an explanation.

if you invested 255 EVs in Special attack and Speed, you'd get the exatcly same Special attack and Speed as 252 EVs in each stat, this is the first reason that there is a leftover 4 EVs there. This single point on Defense stat is simply for the reason that "which would you rather, a Charizard with 160 Def or a Charizard with 161 Def?" This single point can save you many things and it's obviously better than just putting 255 EVs in two stats you'll use.

the other EV spread is very porbably that the Pokémon has reached the minium speed necessary for it to outspeed what it has to. if the 36 EVs were placed in Speed, they'd be meaningless, so pumping it on attack to power it up a little.

Last edited:

Shad0ww

alright, im in need of enlightenment. Im completely aware how the EV system works. 4 EVs = 1 respective stat point and all that. My question is, ive been training my machamp on iron island with all the gravelers, steelixs, etc. To my understanding gravelers and steelixs give you 2 EVs towards defense. When I entered the cave my defense was 89. Ive battling more than 2 gravelers, which would be theoretically more than 4EVs which would raise my defense stat. My defense remains at 89. What am i missing. Does your pokemon actually have to level up in order for the EVs to be added to your stats? because my defense is not going up. I apologize in advance if i read over this, i just read and took in alot :)

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
alright, im in need of enlightenment. Im completely aware how the EV system works. 4 EVs = 1 respective stat point and all that. My question is, ive been training my machamp on iron island with all the gravelers, steelixs, etc. To my understanding gravelers and steelixs give you 2 EVs towards defense. When I entered the cave my defense was 89. Ive battling more than 2 gravelers, which would be theoretically more than 4EVs which would raise my defense stat. My defense remains at 89. What am i missing. Does your pokemon actually have to level up in order for the EVs to be added to your stats? because my defense is not going up. I apologize in advance if i read over this, i just read and took in alot :)

For EVs to take effect, the Pokemon has to level up. For example, a Pokemon you level up with only Rare Candies to lv. 100 cant be EV trained, because it cant level up anymore.

I think this is kind of a silly question and I probably already know the answer. But when you get a traded pokemon is it normal for it to say XXXX gained a boosted amount of exp

If XXXX stands for the pokémon's name, then it's normal.

AuraWingz

Where: Route 214
Who: Beauty Devon
Pokémon and levels: Wormadam x3 (Different Cloaks) (2 EVs each). Levels 24
Total EVs: 6
Notes: The only girl with the Wormadam in DP that everyone was looking for now has three of them, and is undoubtedly a godsend for those training for Special Defense.

Take note that each wormadam gives different evs. the plant cloak wormadam does indeed gives 2 evs in sp def, however the sandy cloak wormadam presumably gives 2 evs in def and the trash cloak wormadam presumably gives 1 ev in each defense due to its equal base defense stats. I noticed this while ev training my umbreon (holding power band, increases sp def) that had 0 evs in defense. After fighting this lady once, i used a qualot berry (decreases def evs) and its defense fell. Be very cautious when fighting her if you are ev training in sp def.

Last edited:

1ee7leader

If I am using the EXP. share method to train a Pokemon, by fighting with an already fully EV trained Pokmeon, will the Pokemon that has the EXP. share get EV's?

Last edited:

Rakurai

If I am using the EXP. share method to train a Pokemon, by fighting with an already fully EV trained Pokmeon, will with the Pokemon that has the EXP. share get EV's?

Yes.

Anything that gains EXP from a Pokemon will also get the EVs, regardless of the situation.

1ee7leader

Yes.

Anything that gains EXP from a Pokemon will also get the EVs, regardless of the situation.

So if it was LVL 100,there would be no EV's gained?(for the pokemon that has EXP. share).

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
There would be EV's gained if the pokemon actually had room for EV's to be gained. For example, if it was 100% not EVed, then it would still gain the EV's, but they wouldn't matter anyway, since it would be at level 100.

1ee7leader

Slowking[George];9638287 said:
There would be EV's gained if the pokemon actually had room for EV's to be gained. For example, if it was 100% not EVed, then it would still gain the EV's, but they wouldn't matter anyway, since it would be at level 100.

OK. Thanks.

Also, I did a calculation on how many Pokemon I have to fight WITH a Power Item, and the answer came to 10.8...what do I do?

Last edited: