• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Drabble Dex

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Had a break thanks to busyness with life and Daily. But getting back into fics!

Ditto

The Great Egg Conspiracy

He ran – ran - for the first time in years. It was a short distance from his position outside to the front desk, but it left him gasping for breath.

“They’re… onto us,” he panted.

She nodded and slammed a button. The cages behind her screeched opened. Gradually numerous Ditto slowly exited their drab confines.

“Go on, get out!” he urged. “If they find out how we were using you… Oh, we shouldn’t have listened to that Professor!”

“Shut up! We’ll be fine! Just…” She snatched at a broom and tried to sweep the flubber Pokémon out into Route 34.

Okay so I apparently have lots of catching up to do! Last I read was the Regis so I'll comment on the ones after that!

Finneon/Lumineon: My first comment after reading the Finneon drabble was how I would've liked more description of the scene, but then I realized you wouldn't have space for the punchline if you did. :p But then I get to Lumineon's drabble where you do have space for description, and in the end I felt it was much stronger. I also agree with [Imaginative]:[Clockwork] in that I like the quieter direction you took with Lumineon's drabble - it was literally just a kid telling Lumineon to turn on, but I think the more solid setting lifted it up more for me.

Flabébé/Floette/Florges: The Flabébé drabble made me laugh because that really is the most odd of typing decisions they made in 6th gen. I thought Floette's drabble was the strongest, partly because it's been a while since you made the Pokemon the main character of the drabble. I like how it captures the peculiarities of the Pokemon more directly than the others. Florges's drabble took a darker turn than I thought, but then again all these fairies seem to be much more brutal than their light-hearted appearances suggest.

Phantump/Trevenant: THE PHANTUMP ONE BROKE ME. I already knew I was in for a ride because Phantump's dex entry is like Cubone levels of depressing, but how it deals with the situation so succinctly really adds to the impact. Every sentence contributed to strengthening the emotions that came out of the whole piece, and it's probably my favorite drabble of yours so far! The Trevenant one is also really good. I feel like the humor here is much more dynamic than a lot of your other drabbles. Kinda reminds me of the Heliolisk one which I also really liked!

Yamask/Cofagrigus: Okay so OF COURSE it's the Yamask entry right after the Phantump entry and while I like the Phantump one a bit more (it's those last two lines that do it, really), I think this Yamask one is the most ambitious drabble you've written for the entire project, and I thought it paid off. I thought it was really smart that instead of going the obvious route and talk about the human-turned-Yamask's death, you talk about another death that seems to precede (and possibly lead to) the Yamask's own. That's heavy stuff, and it brought out a lot of punch-you-in-the-gut emotions that isn't even easy to pull off with 10,000 words - the fact you pull it off with 100 really goes to show how good of a writer you are!

Then I read the Cofagrigus one and holy crap, I didn't expect you to make that reference at all! The over-the-top way you portrayed the situation really works for it, and I like how it works as a slight meta jab as well.

Ditto: I find this really funny because it reminds me of a conversation I wrote for my project where an NPC talks about this. And figuring out that Route 34 actually has wild Ditto makes this even funnier. Like the Cofagrigus one, I think the over-the-top way you wrote this made it much more enjoyable. Probably the funniest one of all the ones I read for this review.

Your drabbles just keep getting better and better, bnb, and like I said, the Phantump and Yamask drabbles in particular are my favorites of the entire project so far. (Why am I not surprised that I'm gravitating toward the more dramatic ones. Silly DM.) That doesn't take away from the strength of the humorous ones, though - I particularly liked how you handled the humor of the Trevenant, Lumineon, Cofagrigus, and Ditto ones as well. Really great job, and I'm looking forward to reading more! :)

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay so I apparently have lots of catching up to do! Last I read was the Regis so I'll comment on the ones after that!
I have more writing/posting to catch up on myself. :V
Finneon/Lumineon: My first comment after reading the Finneon drabble was how I would've liked more description of the scene, but then I realized you wouldn't have space for the punchline if you did. :p But then I get to Lumineon's drabble where you do have space for description, and in the end I felt it was much stronger. I also agree with [Imaginative]:[Clockwork] in that I like the quieter direction you took with Lumineon's drabble - it was literally just a kid telling Lumineon to turn on, but I think the more solid setting lifted it up more for me.
Interesting. The first one was a wordy punchline I suppose.
Flabébé/Floette/Florges: The Flabébé drabble made me laugh because that really is the most odd of typing decisions they made in 6th gen. I thought Floette's drabble was the strongest, partly because it's been a while since you made the Pokemon the main character of the drabble. I like how it captures the peculiarities of the Pokemon more directly than the others. Florges's drabble took a darker turn than I thought, but then again all these fairies seem to be much more brutal than their light-hearted appearances suggest.
Indeed it is - why it didn't get the Grass typing astounds me. I suppose Florges' actions weren't peaceful by any means, haha, but some of the Fairy Pokemon have less than flattering inspirations behind them!
Phantump/Trevenant: THE PHANTUMP ONE BROKE ME. I already knew I was in for a ride because Phantump's dex entry is like Cubone levels of depressing, but how it deals with the situation so succinctly really adds to the impact. Every sentence contributed to strengthening the emotions that came out of the whole piece, and it's probably my favorite drabble of yours so far!
Cool - neat to hear it worked out! I remember it took me a while to edit.
The Trevenant one is also really good. I feel like the humor here is much more dynamic than a lot of your other drabbles. Kinda reminds me of the Heliolisk one which I also really liked!
Mmm, I suppose there was more of an action-y joke in it compared to the others.
Yamask/Cofagrigus: Okay so OF COURSE it's the Yamask entry right after the Phantump entry and while I like the Phantump one a bit more (it's those last two lines that do it, really), I think this Yamask one is the most ambitious drabble you've written for the entire project, and I thought it paid off. I thought it was really smart that instead of going the obvious route and talk about the human-turned-Yamask's death, you talk about another death that seems to precede (and possibly lead to) the Yamask's own. That's heavy stuff, and it brought out a lot of punch-you-in-the-gut emotions that isn't even easy to pull off with 10,000 words - the fact you pull it off with 100 really goes to show how good of a writer you are!
Aw, thanks! I also had wanted to avoid going the obvious route with it, so glad to see it worked out. Btw, I'll add this tidbit that isn't obvious for people who already read up to that entry:
[spoil]You mention that Yanmask talks about another death that precedes its own. I'll draw attention to the fire mentioned, and then to notice the charred tree trunks in Phantump's entry...[/spoil]

Then I read the Cofagrigus one and holy crap, I didn't expect you to make that reference at all! The over-the-top way you portrayed the situation really works for it, and I like how it works as a slight meta jab as well.
I was inspired to make that one after seeing someone get hit by the forum censor for Cogagrigus somewhere else, haha.
Ditto: I find this really funny because it reminds me of a conversation I wrote for my project where an NPC talks about this. And figuring out that Route 34 actually has wild Ditto makes this even funnier. Like the Cofagrigus one, I think the over-the-top way you wrote this made it much more enjoyable. Probably the funniest one of all the ones I read for this review.
Some would say the Route number is also apt, haha. I think I do better with over-the-top exaggeration for such jokes too, tbh.
Your drabbles just keep getting better and better, bnb, and like I said, the Phantump and Yamask drabbles in particular are my favorites of the entire project so far. (Why am I not surprised that I'm gravitating toward the more dramatic ones. Silly DM.) That doesn't take away from the strength of the humorous ones, though - I particularly liked how you handled the humor of the Trevenant, Lumineon, Cofagrigus, and Ditto ones as well. Really great job, and I'm looking forward to reading more! :)
It's in your username after all! Imagine if I did a dramatic entry involving music. ;p Thanks yet again for the review!

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Bump! Some I made as a present for someone special. Expect more this year too!

Mareep

Counting sheep

“No treatment is working for Mary’s insomnia...” the senior doctor mused.

“Maybe we should try something different. Like...” The trainee tapped his fingers. “Maybe have her count Mareep?”

“Yes, maybe- no! Don’t be silly.” She stared. “You’re serious? That’s a silly misconception. And there’s hardly any Mareep on the nearby farm to count!”

“What about... counting their legs?”

“Those Mareep have so much wool you can’t see any other part of them!”

Mary, sitting on the nearby chair, yawned. They were so boring with their chatting for hours about treatments. Maybe... if she just rested her eyes for a while...

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Flaaffy

Makeshift cushion

Dana sighed as she stared down the road of Route 38, while stroking her Flaaffy’s wool. The Trainer she had called was taking his sweet time.

“That free Thunderstone isn’t going to wait forever...” she muttered. “And standing here in the sun is tiring!”

Eventually enough was enough. Dana turned to her two Pokémon.

“Psyduck, stand watch!” she ordered. Psyduck stared blankly ahead, which she guessed was good enough. She walked to a nearby tree with her Flaaffy, and sat down, resting her head against the soft wool on its neck. It bleated quietly.

“At least you guys are reliable...”

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Ampharos

Because you’re worth it

The Nimbasa Fashion Show was in full swing. Elesa took in the sights, with Trainers and Pokémon strutting their stuff on the runway.

“Next up, we have Nina, from Kalos, with her Ampharos!”

Ampharos? Curious choice for a fashion show... she thought. The pair appeared with the sheep Pokémon waddling besides its trainer. Then Elesa noticed a large stone upon the trainer’s ring shining bright.

In a flash of light the Ampharos transformed, as gorgeous rivers of hair sprouted from its head and tail. Red orbs glistened, and it adorned sunglasses.

“Beautiful...” she whispered, unable to tear her eyes away.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Bump. A pair of drabbles written as part of a fan work feature project over on PC, featuring the Yamper line!

Yamper

One time only

“Thought of it last night,” the youth boasted to his friends. He threw a Poke Ball at the Machoke wandering nearby, which popped out immediately.

As it looked about to see what happened, the boy’s Yamper responded to his whistle, sprinted to the Ball and returned with it. It plopped it by them, with some additional drool.

“Yes... well, I can use the same Ball again, see?” He threw it. The Machoke escaped again and this time caught sight of them.

“Get the ball, Yamper!”

Yamper took a look at the Machoke lumbering toward them, and decided to run off.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Boltund

Guard Dog

It was the faintest sound, but the Boltund heard. Howling, she flung herself through the dog door and leapt over the fence, giving chase to the intruder. They were already away but she could smell their fear.

She rounded the corner and blitzed through the field. This time the shortcut would work. She made it to the road, and tried to bite a tire. The motorcycle veered sharply, and then accelerated away.

The dog tried to keep up but eventually gave up as the distance between them grew. She growled and turned back.

Tomorrow, she would catch that pesky postman.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Trubbish

In defense of Trubbish

“Ugh, that’s the new Pokémon?” one kid exclaimed, his voice dripping with disgust.

“It’s lazy,” the other muttered. She spat at the ground. “Devoid of imagination. Masuda ia reaching deep into that gutter.”

“Terrible. This Grimer thing is just... sludge!” He was yelling now. “These Kanto Pokemon are way worse than Unova's! Trubbish at least has the knot for ears, glass-like teeth, and a loveable personality.” He shook his fist in the direction of Game Freak’s offices.

“And its evolution! It’s bigger sludge. Wowee. Garbodor gained pipe arms, this is just... more sludge!”

“Worst gen ever,” they agreed in unison.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Garbodor

Trash disposal

She sighed quietly. “Idiots.” It was all wrong. How did they even get their degrees?

How would they possibly solve the dilemma of the Darkest Day at this rate? They’d need 3,000 years, not just a mere thousand. Chairman Rose deserved better.

“Dinnertime,” she said at length. The Trash Heap Pokémon gurgled happily as she lumbered toward Oleana. She dutifully tipped the piles of papers, tarnished with incorrect calculations and inconceviable results, into a feeding bowl and watched her Garbodor consume at length. She had grown large over the years of clean-up.

“At least those buffons can produce something useful...”