• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dracoburn's Story

dracoburn

Lance's protege
Thanks, guys. This means a lot to me.

Sorry it's taking so long.. Have a lot going on, ya know?

dracoburn

Lance's protege
Part Ten: Who's That Professor?

It was finally time to go. I gathered my strongest Pokemon before hurtling down the mountain on Draco’s back. We landed silently and gracefully behind Skyla, so quietly that she jumped when Draco let out a smoke plume from his nose.

“Becca! Why did you sneak up on me like that???”

I shrugged. “Cause I can. It’s hilarious.”

She stuck her tongue out. “Well, I called you because one of the guys in your league needs help setting up his gym, and I thought you could help me load up the plane. He’s got a lot of fire types, and I figured you could get Dracoburn to entertain them while we work.”

She must be talking about Cole. I’d love a chance to see some of his Pokemon!

I shrugged. “Ok, that works. Do you have any easier tasks, though? My Sandslash hurt herself yesterday, but I knew she would still want to come today.”

She nodded, concern shadowing her eyes. “We’ll see what there is to do.”

I flicked a handful of Pokeballs into the air, and the light cleared to reveal Scrag, Cedar(my Sandslash), Regent(my Nidoking), Ferocity and Charlie(my Poliwrath). They shook off the muscle cramps from being cooped up in their Pokeballs, and flexed their biceps in prideful anticipation. I grinned as I caught Cedar edging her way closer to Scrag, amused by the ever-changing dynamics of their budding relationship.

“So where are the crates? And the other Pokemon?”

“Well, there was one teensy detail I left out.. We have to fly to Kanto first and visit Oak to get the cargo. I’ll drop you off on the way back, if you want.”

My eyes widened. “I haven’t seen Professor Oak in years! Let’s do this! But, um, do I have to put them back in their balls? They just got out..”

Skyla smiled. “No problem, there’s plenty of room on the plane.”

“Good. They hate their Pokeballs. I wish I didn’t have to keep them in them.. But they’re so big, see?” I continued in a murmur.

“I hear you. I always take my birds to Celestial Tower to stretch their wings. Of course, you probably have enough of that on the mountain.”

I chuckled. “Yea, plenty of room to fly, I guess. The dragons really miss the environment of the Dragon’s Den, though. Something about being where famous dragons train. The pressure, the power radiating from every square inch..”

She looked lost in thought for a moment. “Hmm.. Well, if you’re interested in a place like that, we do have the Dragonspiral tower. Apparently, a good few legends have taken place up there.” She shrugged. “I myself am perfectly content to stick with my birds. True power is in making a real underdog shine, ya know?”

I smiled to myself, thinking of Draco. “Agreed. That’s why I chose Charmander for my starter. Oak suggested I choose Bulbasaur or Squirtle because they’re easier to train. More well-behaved, in general, I guess.. But then, that was never really my style. I guess I like dragons so much because of Draco. It’s not that I love sheer power. It really started because I loved flying on Dracoburn’s back. And when I went to get the Dragon Master’s blessing… Well, he wouldn’t bless Draco because he wasn’t a ‘true’ dragon type. It broke my heart. He gave me Analyt so that I’d have a dragon to train there with, and when he saw how much I loved the little Dratini, he let me keep him. Still, I’ve always wanted to prove that the ‘fake’ dragons like Charizard and Aerodactyl were just as epic as the real ones.”

“Wow, I always thought you just preferred flying on dragons to birds, otherwise you’d train flyers like I do..”

“Nawh, but it IS pretty nice to have something that breathes fire on my side.” I winked. “Now, what to do?”

She shook herself out of a daydream. “Oh! Right! Ok, off to Kanto!”

It was a long flight. I personally have always preferred to fly on a Pokemon, but no one could deny this being faster. As the plane sped over Rock Cave, I shook myself awake to watch the scenery pass beneath me.. Far, far below, I could see a battle taking place. A Hiker’s Onix was thrashing its tail at the tiny, purple shape of a Butterfree.. We passed over Lavender Town. PokeFans were directing a group of Schoolboys and Lasses on a community service trip to clean up trash in the foothills around the town.

A Gentleman and an elderly Growlithe were growling at a Youngster outside of Celadon City. I pitied the boy as he hiked his jeans up and sulked off, remembering all the older trainers who had reacted so bitterly to my defeating them. I felt old, nostalgia flooding my mind.

The plane angled slightly North, and I couldn’t help but smile when I noticed a girl with a Slowbro trying to counsel a kid with a disobedient Slowpoke. I looked to Cerulean Cave, hoping to catch a glimpse of the incredibly powerful Pokemon I had once trained with. I caught a strange energy radiating from it, and my Pokemon suddenly bolted upright as if there was some disturbance.

I rubbed Dracoburn between the shoulder blades. “Cool your jets, guys. We’re almost there.”

About ten minutes later, we could see the speckled meteorites of Mt. Moon under the silver wing of the plane, which angled downwards towards the Pewter City Airport. We touched down gently on the smooth landing strip that had been finished since the last time I had seen it. Draco grumbled half-heartedly as we passed a garden. He clearly remembered being sprayed with Repel by the owner of it.

“Welcome to Pewter City, the city of stone. The time of day is 11:53 AM, the day is Tuesday, and the outside temperature is 79 degrees Fahrenheit. The weather is partly-cloudy with a chance of rain and blah, blah, blah, I know you don’t need these formalities. Welcome home to the Indigo League, Becca!”

We swarmed off of the plane, eager to stretch our legs. I went to pick up an order of Pewter’s famous Rice Ball Moon Stones, made with Brock’s original recipe, and waited for Skyla while she secured her plane a spot in the garage and rented a U-Haul to meet us in Pallet Town. We would fly down on our Pokemon after the group finished our lunch.

Skyla finished distributing the stir fry vegetables to her birds(rice swells in the stomachs of flying-types, and the take-out restaurant knew to provide for this), and turned to me. “So Becca, is it good to be so close to home?”

I looked up from the packet of soy sauce I was spreading meticulously on my meal. “Well, you’d think I would be. But I’m kinda concerned about Cerulean Cave. That really seemed to spook the Pokemon..”

She nodded. “Yea, I noticed something was a little odd. Probably just a battle between two Kadabra or something.”

I sighed. “I hope so.. The psychic energy radiating from that cave was intense. I hope ol’ Mewtwo isn’t awake. Legends tend to be rather irate when their beauty sleep is interrupted..”

“Don’t tell me you actually believe in those old stories of Mewtwo. The ultimate Pokemon..” She broke off into a swarm of giggles.

“I read some articles in the rubble of that old mansion in when I helped Blue and Blaine clear up the mess from Cinnabar’s eruption. They didn’t look like fairy tales to me. I just wish they had been finished..”

She shook her head in defeat. “Whatever. Hey, we should probably head out if we want to get there by two like we said we would.”

We balled up our wrappers, and she collected the trash while Scrag and I crushed cans and tossed them into the recycling bin.

I recalled everybody but Draco, and Skyla did the same, leaving her Unfezant for her mount. Throwing our bags over our shoulders, we took off on the flying Pokemon. I sent Draco a visual of the route we had marked out, around Viridian Forest and straight over the city itself. I could try to talk to Blue after our work was done.

We swooped down to land in Pallet Town almost forty-five minutes before we were due. Looked like I had time to visit Daisy!

Anxiously, I knocked twice on the nostalgically familiar door. A face I could never forget greeted me moments later.

“Becca? Wow, you’ve gotten so tall since you took on my baby brother!”

I looked down sheepishly. “Daisy. I’m here running an errand, and I thought we could talk.”

“Sure, come in, have a cup of tea!”

We relaxed on the floor cushions, sipping on raspberry tea.

“So, I take it this handsome dragon is the baby Charmander I helped Granddad pick out for you all these years ago?”

Dracoburn melted under Daisy’s incredible nature with Pokemon. “If it’s not too much to ask.. Can I groom him?”

He spun around, his unseeing eyes lighting up, panting like a puppy.

“Haha, I’m sure he would love that!”

Daisy began rubbing the Charizard’s shoulders, his adamant demeanor suddenly transformed under her magic hands. We discussed quite a few things, and had reached my new league, when she gasped. “What happened to his eyes?”

Dracoburn and I shrunk together, looking down at our laps. “Um.. We were fighting Red, and, well, his Lapras let out a close-range Blizzard to the face. He does great, I mean, his spirit recovered and all.. But the damage to his eyes left him blinded for life…”

Her face softened even further. “Oh, you poor thing.. Hold on, I think I have something that may help you feel a little better.”

Curiously, I watched her as she got up, rifled through a kit on her counter, and pulled out a few herbs. The dried berries plinked into her mortar, she added just a splash of the steamed milk on the table, and began diligently grinding the mixture into a salve.

“Now, hold still, baby.” She took Draco’s draconian chin into one hand while she smoothed the concoction into the wrinkles and scars creasing his ruddy face. He let out a sigh and closed his eyes contentedly.

“Wow, what did you do? The skin around his scars always cracks, and it really hurts him, but the poultices I’ve tried have always just made it worse!”

She smiled. “You use water, don’t you? The oil from the milk softens the tinge from the berries, making a smooth lotion. Hatlon berry, two Bluk berries, a leave or two of aloe and a bit of milk. Rub it into his skin twice a day and it’ll be as soft and smooth as a Mew’s fur.”

I hastily scribed this information in my journal. “Thanks so much, Daisy. I’ve been looking for a way to help him with that for so long..”

We were discussing the Summit when my Pokegear buzzed with a text from Skyla, warning me that it was time to go.

“It was so great seeing you, Becca. Gimme a call when you guys are done so I can bring you dinner!”

“Daisy, you really don’t have to do that..”

“No, really. All Granddad can cook is Tofu, and your leagues can’t afford you and Skyla getting food poisoning from one of his experiments.”

We exchanged contact information and I was on my way.

Draco’s speed picked up as we neared the Pokemon Lab, the large building casting shadows on the asphalt path around us. He had been bred here, after all, and could probably scent other members of his evolutionary family. My suspicion was confirmed when sprinklers were set off to douse a small brushfire beginning at the base of the mountain region of the ranch beside the lab.

“Becky!” I heard a voice cracked with age exclaim.

I blushed. “Professor Oak!”

“It has been quite a while since you have come to visit.”

“Quite a while indeed if you don’t know that I go by Becca now.” I teased him.

“Oh, hush, I’ve had too many kids get their starter Pokemon from me to be able to keep track of all this. By the way, why have you stopped sending me Pokemon you catch?”

“I set up a link on Mount Silver, and then another on Twist Mountain, where I’m living now.”

“Ah, so that’s why Skyla called you to help load up these Pokemon. You’re in Unova now.” He nodded. “So I’m sure you have met Cole. He happens to be one of the most talented children I have enlisted for my Pokedex project. I’ve always hoped that you two would meet. I used to have such high hopes for Red, see. It quite surprised me to hear that he has inherited my grandson’s personality, and vice-versa.”

I looked down, once again reminded of my battle with Red a few years ago. “You can say that again…” I muttered.

“How is your old Charmander, by the way?” Draco stepped around me for the elderly professor to admire him.

“Oh! He is perhaps level sixty-three?” Draco grinned proudly. “And.. Blind? How did this happen?”

I sighed. “Speaking of Red…” I gave the man a brief description of the accident.

“I see. But I’m sure he still makes a most excellent partner to you. He and his brother were the strongest litter of Charmander we ever bred, right from the beginning. I’m glad we gave them to the trainers we did. Your Rash nature perfectly compliments Dracoburn’s Adamant, just as that Charizard’s Serious fits so perfectly with his trainer’s Naïve…”

He continued his good-natured rambling until Skyla cleared her throat. “Professor, with all due respect, we kinda hafta be done soon if we want time for dinner before we leave..”

“Ah, yes. Becca, are your Pokemon strong enough to lift crates?”

I laughed. “Sir, I’m a ground type Elite Four member in Unova’s second league. My Pokemon are some of the toughest imaginable in terms of brute strength.”

I flicked my Pokeballs into the air to reveal my Pokemon.

“These are my heavy lifters. My Sandslash hurt herself yesterday, but she still wanted to come, so I figured she could supervise or something.” Cedar glanced at the sling around her neck in annoyance.

“Actually, I have some little ones, if she wouldn’t mind babysitting.”

“More grandchildren?” I felt my eyes widen.

He chuckled. “No, baby Pokemon. Baby starter Pokemon from the Japanese regions. A colleague donated them to me for my studies, and to protect the lot from bandits and poachers. Could your Sandslash keep an eye on them?”

Cedar huffed, but I agreed for her. “On one condition.. Can I use your PC?”

He nodded, looking confused. I wanted the little baby Gible to get to play with other baby Pokemon, so I pulled him up. He popped out of his Pokeball, looking surprised. “That was your first time in a Pokeball, huh, li’l buddy?” He whimpered in confusion. “Don’t worry, I’ve heard it gets easier after a while. Now, we found some new friends for you to play with.”

I carried him lovingly outside and lay him on the other side of the baby gate Skyla had set up. Cedar sighed. She had always been easily frustrated by children. “Ok, let’s see these babies.”

Oak handed each of us four Pokeballs. All the ones I was passed were marked with a little flame marking. Oak’s had leaf symbols and Skyla’s had little teardrops. I realized they had been distributed by type.

I clicked the ball with a #1 on it, expanding it to its normal size. “Here goes..” I snapped my wrist and.. A golden Charmander appeared next to Gible. “Charmander! Char! Char-awwwnnnn..” It’s third cry broke off into the most endearing yawn.

I gasped. “It’s.. It’s shiny!”

The Pokemon Professor nodded. “They all are. Now, let’s let these critters free so they can play.”

The young shiny Pokemon immediately displayed their personalities. Some seemed very personable, like the Charmander and the Mudkip. The little Chimchar began wrestling with the tiny Totodile right out of the ball. Others seemed rather quiet. The little Bulbasaur sat in the corner, watching the play-fight. The Treecko started climbing the baby gate wall, only to be swatted down by Cedar. The Piplup tripped over a rock and started crying, only to be comforted by the Chikorita. Little Squirtle pointed and laughed at the Piplup until the Turtwig and Torchic stepped up to confront him. He apologized. The little Cyndaquil had spent this entire time trying to curl up next to Cedar. Baby Gible assimilated with the first four and began playing a game of tag.

I sighed. “So cute.. Alright, we’ve gotta get working.”

We worked until the sun began weeping into the southern sea. Skyla and I packed crates, my Pokemon carried them to the plane, and her birds helped direct my guys where to put them. Professor Oak supervised. But try as we did, the work was only about two thirds finished when Daisy road our supper over on her bicycle.

I groaned. “Looks like we’ll be working late into the night..”

“Nonsense!” Professor Oak lifted his head. “We shall call it a night now, eat a nice meal, and finish in the morning. You two girls can share my guest room.”

Skyla and I nodded in unison. “Ok!”

We finished our delicious homemade meal. It had been so long since I had Krabby! After some tea and small talk, Daisy rode home, and Skyla and I retreated to our room.

The baby Pokemon were sharing our room, and I curled up with the Charmander after flicking off the light. Skyla held the little Totodile, it snoring softly, and the others cuddled on throw pillows around Draco’s tail flame, our other Pokemon surrounding them, making this room quite cozy.

Skyla yawned. “These little guys need nicknames.. We should name them before we leave.”

I echoed her, feeling almost dizzy with exhaustion and jet lag. “Alright.. Let’s start with these two..”

“I like the name Hook for this little guy.”

“Because of his wicked left hook?” I teased.

“No, silly. Because of the pirate from that old story about the kid who wouldn’t grow up, Captain Hook.” She rubbed between his eyes, baby-talking him. “Aren’t you a widdow piwate? Yes you are! Yes you are!” He let out a tiny protest by nipping her finger in his sleep.

I felt myself fading in and out of sleep. “Ok.. This guy’ll be called Flame. But it has to be spelled differently because, well, he’s different. Let’s spell it with a ‘y’. Flayme. I like it…”

Skyla murmured in agreement. I rolled over, aware that the conversation was over, and watched the light from Draco’s tail flicker until a tide of black washed over my eyes.

I dreamed that I was in Whirl Islands again, on the day I met Soulreaper..

There was an incredible shrieking in the cave’s depths. I didn’t have much time. I jumped on Draco’s back, and we kept close to the wall as we ducked between shadows. We had to keep ourselves hidden. The view from inside the chamber was incredible. The famous sages from the Bell Tower were fighting with all their might against a group of rather strangely-dressed poachers. The poachers led a group of Tyranitars against Sage Jet’s Alakazam. Where is it? I searched desperately for my mission’s goal.

Suddenly, a harsh light appeared and the hanging stalactites were shook from the ceiling by an incredible Psychic attack. There! There it is!

Lugia was magnificent. The Gengar next to it looked like a purple speck in comparison. Jet’s Stantler stepped in front of the giant white beast and used Confuse Ray. That’s the signal! Alright, here goes..

I expanded three capsules and flicked them right next to the beast. “You guys know the drill,” I whispered, “Mia, use Flash, Fuegita and Spook, use Swift!” My Espeon’s gem lit up and the entire battle field disappeared in a harsh light. This would be prolonged by my Typhlosion and Umbreon, but I still only had so long. Dracoburn flew me down to Lugia as it was corralled by the Gengar.

“Lugia..” I murmured. It thrashed its head in response. “No, Lugia. I’m only here to help you get away from these poachers. They wish to harm you. I’m going to bring you to Mount Silver. Moltres said that she would stay in the Sevii Islands until it’s safe for you to return here. But we need to get you safe.”

It growled fiercely. No! This is my home! I will stay and fight!

“Lugia, I need to get you away from them. Even if you can drive them off yourself, they will hurt you in the process.”

He narrowed his eyes. And how do I know you’re not just one of them?

I pulled my necklace out of my shirt. A glistening Silver Wing hung at the end, with a Tidal Bell attached to the base of the feather. “The Kimono girls knew that this was going to happen. They asked me to bring you to my home to keep you safe until they are dispatched. Now, please, Lord of the Seas, allow me to capture you, just until it becomes safe to return home.”

He sighed. Alright. Keeper of the Silver Wing, bring me to your home.

And with that, he retreated into the Masterball Professor Elm had trusted me with. “Now, guys!” My Pokemon launched a blinding Swift and disappeared as I recalled them. With my mission finished, Draco flew me out of the islands on his back.

I need a nickname for him.. A code, so that I can detail my mission to Elm and the Kimono girls without suspicion. How about.. Soulreaper? That way, any poacher’ ll just think we’re discussing Bleach. That settled it.

“Becca? Come on, you Snorlax, it’s time for breakfast!”

“Hrm, mrmph, grmmm” I muttered into my pillow.

“That’s it..” I woke with a start as Skyla ripped my bottom sheet out from under me and I flipped off of my bed, onto the floor.

“Oww! Ok, fine, I’m up, I’m up!”

My Pokemon chortled in laughter at my graceful dismount.

Skyla was explaining to Oak the nicknames we had given the Charmander and Totodile. He nodded pensively. “Well, they actually came with nicknames. But I think I prefer your names for those two. If they like them, they can keep them. I’ll change the nicknames in the note I’m sending to Cole.”

Skyla and I exchanged grins. We finished our Pidgey egg omelets, and rounded up our Pokemon.

We worked with an intense vigor and were finished by One, when Daisy brought over sandwiches. We vigorously inhaled our lunches and prepared to leave Pallet Town. After saying our goodbyes to Professor Oak and Daisy, we flew back to Pewter, followed closely by the U-haul. At Pewter, we loaded the crates onto the plane, and prepared to fly home. Skyla would drop me off at Mistralton when she stopped to refuel, and I would fly back home on Dracoburn. I sighed, settling back in my seat, ready to catch up on rest. I knew I would need it for the coming trials.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Great chapter, as usual!
Yeah, the name Flayme comes from the protagonist's dragon from my novel, Blazing Heart. Retav, the Chikorita, is the name of the half-elf brother of the Elvin Prince, and a powerful plant manipulator, and Nyaru (Turtwig) is a forest spirit that has not been formally introduced yet.

Xman96

Fighting Leader
Wow, that was long, but good. The descriptions of the baby pokemon made me go, "Dawwwwwwww." I also like that you used U-Haul.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
I was struggling with the whole chapter because Cole got the load much later than this chapter would imply, but I couldn't say she called me a few days after field day because that one was already up. So, Feral, Skyla's kinda flying the friendly skies with your Pokemon for a week. Deal with it ;)

I didn't know where the names came from. Just wanted to somehow associate myself with that Charmander.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
Genius! I really need to work on my writing if I'm to keep up with you and Feral! Another great chapter, and you've captured each and every character perfectly.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
Alright guys. I hate to have ended it that way, but there's no way I could outdo Feralninja. But don't fret! I've started the sequel!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/member.php?u=140170

Friends of Draco. Yes. I've written my irl friends into the Pokemon world. This is the story of Becca as she tries to adjust to no longer having the League of Heroes to back her up. Be her friends. If you liked this fan fic, read the sequel. And it'll only have ridiculously long pauses like this has if I forget to save and get all my work deleted when the computer auto-updates. Again.

Thanks for all your support. I really hope you can understand this choice I've made.

-Dracoburn