• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

RafaSceptile

It is an anime for kids and Japan is conservative in those matters, but at least there was a marriage and an implicit kiss

However, I do not think it is bad that these things are not shown
Actually a pregnancy*, the kid could be adopted if that was not showed at the end of SM

Sham

The Guardian of War
Technically the gay thing has a “valid” reason in the sense that Pokémon is broadcasted globally and in a lot of countries homosexuality is criminalized or frowned upon so to save money Pokémon keeps is kosher. The kiss thing or any “PG 13” things are probably for the same reason.

Technically the gay thing has a “valid” reason in the sense that Pokémon is broadcasted globally and in a lot of countries homosexuality is criminalized or frowned upon so to save money Pokémon keeps is kosher. The kiss thing or any “PG 13” things are probably for the same reason.
You are absolutely right, pokemon has millions of fans in countries where Homosexuality is prohibited or people see it with bad eyes, so they just don't touch on those issues

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ok so I’ve finally gotten a chance to watch the episode with subs so I don’t say anything that’s misinformed.

While Mr Fish is my favorite Pokémon on Ash’s team, two of his Pokémon made me reconsider how I felt about them. Sirfetch’d being the chad he is was a nice cameo for it.

I liked how excited Pikachu gets to see one of Ash’s companions again. I love when he jumps into their arms as soon as he sees them. There’s often a shot or two where one of them is holding Pikachu while Ash is battling or occupied elsewhere and he traveled with them for entire regions so it makes sense he’d be fond of them.

I like that Go is genuinely interested in Ash’s past too. Him catching the elemental monkeys makes him the GOAT. On one hand, I could see the lack of Pansage as just as a way to not have two Grass Monkeys. But considering we have two Dragonite next to each other in the same episode, I’m going with the idea of it being a foreshadowing to Cilan.

Cute nod with Go throwing a Pokéball at Iris’s hair to how Ash initially met her. I called that awhile back when we first got screenshots of the episode.

Ahh Drayden. I was hoping he’d been in this episode and I’m so glad he is. He’s always been one of my favorite characters in the series. He seems like he’s on a friendly basis with Ash so it’s good that he remembers one of her friends. They also remember him being the headmaster and his battle with Iris in the middle of BW. This episode really remembers all of the details.

That entrance was really cool. The emphasis of both her athleticism and her still being a kid helps convey her personality to the audience well. Also love how stocked Ash is for her being Champion. Helps with the admittedly questionable jump to her being Champion by showing she’s still not comfortable with being just being the strongest; she also wants to be a Dragon Master first and foremost. The “you’re such a kid” bickering comes back too lol

Ash bringing Dragon Types not just for the obvious type advantage but to match the spirits of Iris, Drayden, and pretty much all of Opelucid is neat. Pikachu pouting because it’s forced to sit one out for once lol. Nice that they mention Iris’s empathic powers towards Dragons. Also should’ve mentioned this earlier but Drayden being the exposition machine for Go (and the younger audience) works since at least he’d be the next best person to give insight on Iris.

The face off between the Dragonite to perfectly showcase their contrasting personalities is still funny to me. Ash not being bothered by it and knowing it’s a huge softie while everyone else sans Iris is taken aback is funny.

Did anyone notice Ash throw a peace sign at the fourth wall when Dragonite fell on him? Was not expecting that. Also the Rotom saying Ow at the Ice Beam/Hurricane clash lmao

Cute when Drayden had to reassure Iris the damage to the Gym didn’t prioritize their battle. Really love their dynamic.

The different reactions from Iris, Drayden, & Dragonite when Dracovish came out along with it just throwing Ash to the side made me laugh more than I’d like to admit.

That Fishious Rend/Ice Fang combo looked devastating. Even if I’d argue if it was “logical”, it’s cool to see Dracovish get a win against a Champion in its first battle

The long anticipated Haxorus is finally here. Aw to that the fact that both Ash and Iris have a moment admiring its growth just for Iris to decimate Dracovish. Also good that Iris used Dragonite’s downfall to get an upper hand with Haxorus. They finally used Outrage again. I don’t remember if they used the “slam your head into the ground” strategy to combat the confusion in BW, but it’s a nice callback to Gladion and his Lycanroc.

Probably my favorite part of the episode is when Iris reaches out to Dragonite to see what’s troubling it. Using her experiences with Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus to help Dragonite enjoy battling more is something I’d expected from her as both a Champion and Dragon Master. Some might have reasonable issue with her aiding the opposition but to me it felt more like wanting a fair fight and wanting to see Dragonite in top condition mentally would’ve been a more satisfying fight for everyone. Also great that Ash takes her help genuinely and uses it to give her that more heated battle. Side note, but I like that Go can instantly tell when Ash is up to something. Wasn’t expecting Draco Meteor but the way they used it from combining Hurricane and Dragon Pulse along with Dragonite’s natural weather changing abilities was cool. That “best wishes” from Iris at the end was a nice nod to BW. Also Volkner hype!

Overall I really enjoyed this episode. It really highlights Iris’s growth and her relationship with Ash. I also liked that this wasn’t just another battle but sometthing for Ash and Dragonite to takeaway moving forward. At first I was disappointed with Dragonite’s capture then moved to indifference with his battle against Korrina but now I actually like it. My only issue is I wish we could have seen more like Iris’s journey to being Champion, Haxorus interacting with Ash/Pikachu, Iris’s Excadrill/Gible, and just more Iris screentime since she deserves it. IMO this was worth the wait after nearly a decade but I completely understand why some are dissatisfied. 10/10

Sham

The Guardian of War
I just noticed that by Drayden saying Iris is Unova's top trainer, she did in-fact beat the elite 4. There no one above her in that region.
Which is why on the grand scheme of things power scaling makes no sense after DP (possibly BW) because you have problems like this. If one were to assume that Iris is the most powerful trainer than Caitlin is under her however we’ve seen that Caitlin at the very least can keep up with Garchomp and didn’t lose immediately like Flint did. So by this logic Iris should be able to keep up with Cynthia or beat her but most likely keep up BUT after yesterday episode we just seen Ash defeat her with a newly caught Pokémon and a Pokémon he hasn’t trained that much and we know that Cynthia can easily take out Ash and Ash isn’t winning against her. So where does that leave Iris? It’s best to take Drayden’s comment with a grain of salt. I could change my mind later but I’m sticking to that.

Why is why on the grand scheme of things power scaling makes no sense after DP (possibly BW) because you have problems like this. If one were to assume that Iris is the most powerful trainer than Caitlin is under her however we’ve seen that Caitlin at the very least can keep up with Garchomp and didn’t lose immediately like Flint did. So by this logic Iris should be able to keep up with Cynthia or beat her but most likely keep up BUT after yesterday episode we just seen Ash defeat her with a newly caught Pokémon and a Pokémon he hasn’t trained that much and we know that Cynthia can easily take out Ash.
When Flint was fighting vs Cynthia, the MC said that his infernape had already beated two other pokemon, which means his infernape was tired. however his monke gave her a great battle, in fact Cynthia was somewhat worried