• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

RafaSceptile

According to BW, Iris became a champion after beating Alder, who had already retired. That's not how one becomes a champion.

A 20 second flashback with the explanation of a crucial detail would have taken time away from things and been shoehorned in?
20 seconds explaining with conversation vs 20 seconds showing a flashback, neither of them is more "believable", Drayden is not lying you.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
According to BW, Iris became a champion after beating Alder, who had already retired. That's not how one becomes a champion.

A 20 second flashback with the explanation of a crucial detail would have taken time away from things and been shoehorned in?
Im pretty sure the games mentioned Iris defeating Alder as a champion in the dream link event so idk what youre talking about. Then again, games and anime dont follow the same structure
We already had the explanation of the crucial detail
What you wanted was a clip show showing what Drayden said which yes, would be longer than 20 seconds and take away from the episode, namely it definitely would have cut the interactions which is one of my fav parts about the episode

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Then again, games and anime dont follow the same structure
We already had the explanation of the crucial detail
These two sentences contradict each other. We can assume what happened based on the games, but the games and the anime are different?
What you wanted was a clip show showing what Drayden said which yes, would be longer than 20 seconds and take away from the episode, namely it definitely would have cut the interactions which is one of my fav parts about the episode
I didn't want a clip show. Just 20 seconds of "Iris took on the league and beat took Alder's spot as champion" or "Alder retired and Iris is his successor" would be fine. There was ZERO explanation of how Iris became champion.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
These two sentences contradict each other. We can assume what happened based on the games, but the games and the anime are different?

I didn't want a clip show. Just 20 seconds of "Iris took on the league and beat took Alder's spot as champion" or "Alder retired and Iris is his successor" would be fine. There was ZERO explanation of how Iris became champion.
When did I assume from the games, we got told in the BW anime how one becomes champion. Trip mentions he wants to beat the pokemon league, the champions league and then take down Alder.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's not rocket science how one becomes a champion. A trainer just has to beat the current champion after beating the Elite Four. As shown in Alola, if there is no champion, a trainer still has to beat the Elite Four (chosen by the organizer) and either defeat the organizer of the league or the competing trainer going after the title.

Neither of these applied here. Iris was just stated to have gone around beating Dragon-type trainers and...that was apparently enough to kick Alder off without even mentioning she fought him or the Elite Four...er, Elite One, in this case. It was way too easy to mention she fought him, but why not do that now? It may be implied, but still, why not mention it? There wasn't nothing to lose. That was just incredibly dumb. (It's waaay dumber because Iris places a great deal of respect on Alder in the games, so of course the anime destroys that bridge and makes the hole under said bridge a chasm.)

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

It's not rocket science how one becomes a champion. A trainer just has to beat the current champion after beating the Elite Four. As shown in Alola, if there is no champion, a trainer still has to beat the Elite Four (chosen by the organizer) and either defeat the organizer of the league or the competing trainer going after the title.

Neither of these applied here. Iris was just stated to have gone around beating Dragon-type trainers and...that was apparently enough to kick Alder off without even mentioning she fought him or the Elite Four...er, Elite One, in this case. It was way too easy to mention she fought him, but why not do that now? It may be implied, but still, why not mention it? There wasn't nothing to lose. That was just incredibly dumb. (It's waaay dumber because Iris places a great deal of respect on Alder in the games, so of course the anime destroys that bridge and makes the hole under said bridge a chasm.)
Drayden mentioned that she was the current strongest trainer in Unova, which means that or Iris beated them, or she did something worth to prove that she was stronger than them. Sure, showing a flashback of 15 seconds would be good, but it doesn't makes this episode magically much better, when it is a minimal thing.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Drayden mentioned that she was the current strongest trainer in Unova, which means that or Iris beated them, or she did something worth to prove that she was stronger than them. Sure, showing a flashback of 15 seconds would be good, but it doesn't makes this episode magically much better, when it is a minimal thing.
It's still incredibly dumb not to mention Alder. There was absolutely nothing to lose mentioning that, and he's supposed to be a big deal (no one joke saying "well, he's not a big deal anymore. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!).

Sham

The Guardian of War
It's still incredibly dumb not to mention Alder. There was absolutely nothing to lose mentioning that, and he's supposed to be a big deal (no one joke saying "well, he's not a big deal anymore. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!).
Disagree. Yes the explanation could of been expanded but in the grand scheme of things why did Alder have to be mentioned? Steven was randomly made champion again after Wallace was announced to be champion and we got no explanation on that.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
No one even flinches when they see the talking Meowth.
Episode 3 had Goh saying he's read about the talking Meowth in the net and considering how many CotDs had been bothered by TR, it's not absurd to think word got out so everyone kind of saw it coming. It'd be interesting a filler where the CotD kind of expect the TR bit just for it not happen. It can even end with them complain about constant sneezing.

Alternatively, it can be the case of people kind of got used to the mindset of pokémon being unpredictable thus a talking Meowth would just be yet another one of those unexpected ones.

RafaSceptile

Disagree. Yes the explanation could of been expanded but in the grand scheme of things why did Alder have to be mentioned? Steven was randomly made champion again after Wallace was announced to be champion and we got no explanation on that.
Honestly I think at this point people is selective about in which series something is good writing and bad writing, because I don't remember those complains when Steven was promoted from COTD to a Champion

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Also one last thing, Dragonite tanked those ice moves in that battle yes, but powerlevels of Pokémon in different battles has always been inconsistent so I don't think just because he took those ice moves well, means he should be pretty strong and resistant to 4x ice moves in general

I still think that in the case of Ice Fang working so well here, is attributed to the fact that Dragonite's guard and focus was dropped before it got chomped on, cause it was clearly unnerved when Dracovish came out.

i've said this before, but if you brace your body and focus on incoming damage, then your not likely going to take as much, but lower your guard even a bit and it's going to hurt more no matter how tough you think you are.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Honestly I think at this point people is selective about in which series something is good writing and bad writing, because I don't remember those complains when Steven was promoted from COTD to a Champion
Maybe because Steven wasn't a companion who got an entire episode dedicated to their return, which glossed over important details.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Maybe because Steven wasn't a companion who got an entire episode dedicated to their return, which glossed over important details.
I mean I can see the criticism for not explaining how Iris became champion more in depth but she’s no longer a main companion and therefor unfortunately no more important than Steven. I still also stand by the fact we aren’t owed and Alder explanation because like I said it seems like an issue not exclusive to him ala Wallace.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I mean I can see the criticism for not explaining how Iris became champion more in depth but she’s no longer a main companion and therefor unfortunately no more important than Steven. I still also stand by the fact we aren’t owed and Alder explanation because like I said it seems like an issue not exclusive to him ala Wallace.
Agreed! We already know how one becomes a champion, everyone here already knew that lol, we have been told that. What we needed was not how she became a champion, we know how that works but rather how did she become strong enough to do those feats. Which is explained by her going on a journey to challenge strong dragon type trainers and encounter strong dragon Pokémon, training and becoming one with her own Pokémon as a result. That was more necessary then just reiterating you have to beat the elite 4 and alder to become champion

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Steven has always been the champion since that's his role in the original RS games. It's just that the anime for some obscure and unknown reason treated his debut like he was a COTD.

My take is that they thought about doing something with him down the road but then backpedaled. I'm going to assume he'd be the one helping out during the Aqua/Magma situation but since FRLG were around the corner (or released already; I don't know the timeline for those events) they had to switch to a Kanto character (Lance) instead.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Steven has always been the champion since that's his role in the original RS games. It's just that the anime for some obscure and unknown reason treated his debut like he was a COTD.

My take is that they thought about doing something with him down the road but then backpedaled. I'm going to assume he'd be the one helping out during the Aqua/Magma situation but since FRLG were around the corner (or released already; I don't know the timeline for those events) they had to switch to a Kanto character (Lance) instead.
Iirc they never introduced Steven as champion prior to XY. Wallace was stated to be in champion in the anime and considering even after Steven’s first appearance they had the opportunity to acknowledge he was champion but didn’t. We went from Wallace being announced the champion to Steven randomly between DP-XY.