• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Dracovish still threw her and her Dragonite's pace off due to her not knowing about it, and despite this she did NOT see Draco Meteor coming until it was too late.

I knew some people would be in denial of Iris losing but not to this extreme.
That's not denial though. It is very likely Ash would have lost if Iris had not used her magic dragon thingy to encourage his Dragonite.

As you can tell, his Dragonite was not doing so well at all before that.

Like Ash won, sure, but the Dragonite victory is largely thanks to Iris stepping in.

That's not denial though. It is very likely Ash would have lost if Iris had not used her magic dragon thingy to encourage his Dragonite.

This is what I’m saying. Pretty sure it was written this way on purpose so his win wouldn’t show superiority over her.

His win over Misty in Alola was more decisive.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
This is what I’m saying. Pretty sure it was written this way on purpose so his win wouldn’t show superiority over her.

except no one would've thought he'd have superiority over her regardless.

or do you want to say that the likes of Volkner and Bea are better than she is because there only gym leaders but higher ranked?

this loss takes nothing away from her, because that's not how the PWC works.

dman_dustin

Um no, again Ash knew what he was doing, which was absolutely not affected by Iris at all at least not in context with the speech.

All Iris said was basically "Lighten Up for Ash's sake"

I'm sick and tired of people throwing Ash under the bus for knowing how to handle a situation by calling it an asspull but ANY OTHER DAMN PERSON they ar treated like the best trainers.

The facts of the episode is Iris did not know Ash was going to have Dragonite use the moves to create Draco Meteor yet you won't ackkowledge this because it goes against the narrative that Iris is everything while Ash isn't.

Even Drayden was impressed by Dragonite controlling the weather.

You know who wasn't shocked by the events? Ash, at no point did it look like he didn't know what he was doing.

But Ash isn't Iris so to hell with him, I guess.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Literally anybody saying *Iris held back* is an excuse you should remember it is canon in the games Iris helping Dragonite learn Draco Meteor.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I have got to say that it made me so happy and nostalgic. Iris and Ash immerse themselves in a battle with the same intensity and that's why the battle was really great.

Emolga lighting up the stage for our new Unova Champion was a very nice detail. And I loved how cool Iris looked in her champion outfit. Not to mention Angrynite's coolness. Was so interesting seeing two Dragonite, yet two completely opposite ones. I also loved how she reacted when she saw Dracovish.

And Haxorus, finally Iris broke the "pokegirl has only cute pokemon" thing for one epsiode since XY. Haxorus is sick. I wish the battle would be a little longer because I felt like Dragonite and Haxorus were defeated a bit too quick, but at the end of the episode Iris said that she will try to reach the Super class fast so she can battle Ash again, so who knows.

One thing I didn't like was why they didn't show all her team. Excadrill, Gible and why show a Goodra in a flashback only to confuse us more (I will count Goodra as her team member tho). That's why would have been better if this was a two parter. Or if she returns for another battle they can show more team members then.

At first I was a bit disappointed from this episode, but after watching it again I can say it was overall very good. It's always nice to see companions return with achievements.

But still, May's return still holds 1st place, even thought Iris' return is right up there close.

RafaSceptile

I like how Iris became champion after battling one dragon trainer and learning about two dragon-types, and didn't have to battle an Elite Four or previous reigning champion to get the title

I guess Unova saw how Alola went about crowning its champion and went "Oh, you mean we don't have to waste money on tournaments anymore, we can just give it to people now? Sweet!"
As mentioned in the discussion thread before the episode aired, the Pokémon League/Conference is just a way to become the champion, but is not necessary the only one

LOL and people had the NERVE to say Iris speaking to Dragonite had no impact on the result
Iris told Dragonite to have fun in batlle (correcting mindset). Sure it has impact on the battle but whether it change the result, turning it from losing to winning is arguable.

Contrary to your claim, Iris do not restore the fighting spirit (Ash boost it himself before Iris talk), do not heal the pain/exhaustion, do not inspire Ash to come with the winning strategy (Ash already ready to show it off before Iris talk), in fact Ash do not know what Iris talk to Dragonite.

Ash deserve the credit for restoring Dragonite's fighting spirit and come up with winning strategy, something that you deny and give it to Iris:
Ash proved himself useless during that situation and only benefited from what Iris did.
Even Ash changed his demeanor after the Iris talk. Dragonite gave Ash a look which woke him up too. So none of those inspired strategies happen without Iris doing what she did.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Literally anybody saying *Iris held back* is an excuse you should remember it is canon in the games Iris helping Dragonite learn Draco Meteor.

Except Iris didn't know about Draco meteor, she literally didn't know what Ash was doing until Go pointed it out that Ash was doing something and then it clicked with Iris.

It's a nod, absolutely, but it wasn't like Iris was letting it happen since she was concerned with what was happening.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Except Iris didn't know about Draco meteor, she literally didn't know what Ash was doing until Go pointed it out that Ash was doing something and then it clicked with Iris.

It's a nod, absolutely, but it wasn't like Iris was letting it happen since she was concerned with what was happening.
The point is Iris helped Dragonite unlock a new move instead of taking advatange of Dragonite's situation. She very well could have taken advantage of it but she loves Dragon type Pokemon so much that she could not help it.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
I agree with a lot of people here, it should have been a two-parter. Iris and Go would have had great interactions together, the battle could have been way better, and maybe we could have gotten more info on Iris and her journey.

• BW!Ash looks great in Journey's style.
  • Glad to see Goh going on a catching spree, but only two Pokemon? Would have been nice to see more. He's rarely in Unova, so he should take the opportunity. But that would have taken time from the rest of the episode, so.
  • I can't believe they bamboozled me with the Axew in the preview. Well played.
  • But now that Axew has grown up, maybe it's time his little brother evolves, too?
  • They didn't have to go extra with Iris' entrance at the Gym, but I'm glad they did. Great to see Emolga again.
  • Ash needed to mention that he's Alola's Champion. Show, you're already referencing his past journeys, Pokemon and companions, and you just showed that he's comparable to a (new) Champion.
  • So Iris might have a Goodra? It fits, but I would have liked to have seen a Dragon type she uses in-game, like Salamence, Druddigon, or Hydreigon.
  • Honestly, part of me wishes Pikachu got used? Like, Dracovish and Dragonite objectively needed it more, and Pikachu needs less. But It would have been cool to see Iris face off against a Pokemon she's known for a long time, with a Pokemon Ash has known for a long time. Ace vs Ace.
  • Iris needed to read Dragonite's heart to know it's a kind soul? Kindness is its defining character trait, and it hugged her right off the bat. But I guess they included this seen to foreshadow her ability early on.
  • I really like how all the Pokemon were portrayed here. Even though Iris's Drgaonite lost to Dracovish, it put up an amazing fight against Ash's Dragonite first. Haxorus got a win and looked great fighting against both opponents.
  • Hurricane seems very versatile and cool; it can deflect hits, act as a barrier and deliver several small smacks against its opponent.
  • Iris' Dragonite losing to Ice Fang is weird, though. I get that it's 4x effective, but this thing tanked Ice moves like crazy in the past and might have Marvel Scale as its ability, I'm glad Uno lalala won and how it won, but I would have been nice to see the fight last longer.
  • Then again, Dracovish are very strong, especially when it comes to their bite. I wonder if Ash's has Strong Jaw?
  • But anyway, Dracovish just steals the spotlight whenever it appears.
  • People are saying Dragon Dance is meaningless on Dragonite: I don't think Physical/Special stats exist in the show, even if moves can be physical or special. That's why Excadrill getting Focus Blast was an upgrade for it. DD probably boosts its moves in general.
  • Dracovish vs Haxorus also ended too fast, but I felt like it was more justified. Iris explicitly found a weakness in Dracovish's battle style and exploited it.
  • Iris's hand actually glowed? That's a weird take on her powers.

Anyway, I really liked this episode. It needed some Darmanitan in it, though.

And she stopped to help the opponent's Pokemon instead of straight attacking it. Don't see how that isn't holding back.
In that part Dragonite was ready to fight so that part is not holding back.

However, there is a part in Happynite vs Angrynite when after Dragon Dive crash with Dragon Claw, Happynite is forced down to the ground and look afraid while Angrynite hovering in front. It is like Happynite bowing down to Angrynite. Clearly Happynite is in vulnerable state and Angrynite could have easily finish it but Iris hold back and did not say a comand. This one is clearly holding back.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Glad to see Goh going on a catching spree, but only two Pokemon? Would have been nice to see more. He's rarely in Unova, so he should take the opportunity. But that would have taken time from the rest of the episode, so.

On the contrary i'm glad he only got 2 because the battle was definitely shorter than it should've been as is.