• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

MegaSalamence05

I just remembered a speech from Iris to Drayden during the Memory Link Recollections during Pokémon Black and White 2 and the speech was exactly how this episode transpired.

Iris simply wants People and Pokémon to grow closer and closer. As the Champion that's her main goal while becoming a Dragon Master. She just simply wants to state that publicly as Champion.

The scene between Ash's Dragonite and Iris and everything that transpired afterwards was exactly that personified. I really like obscure references, they're just awesome.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
This is not a disservice, Iris did an awesome battle and prioritize the feelings of the opponents Pokémon to have an actual fair battle when your opponent is at full potential was great. Also she doesn't lost against a nobody, Ash is the strongest trainer from a region too such as Iris is, it was a battle between two of the strongest trainers
That's the thing though, it didn't feel like a battle between two region's strongest trainers. A region's strongest trainer's pokemon typically are not depicted going down in a couple hits, unless its some kind of super move. I had similar issues with Lance vs. Leon, but while perhaps too short that battle still felt more like two champions facing each other.
Also I have yet to get an explanation how that Dragonite tanked two Dragon Rushes, Thunder Punch, Pyscho Cut, Outrage and Breaking Swipe but Iris’ Dragonite went down to a Pokémon who was just recently caught Ice Fang in one shot despite tanking Mamowsine’s multiple Ice Shard and Ice Fang and Mamowsine was trained longer by Dawn.
Let's not exaggerate, didn't Dracovish combo the Ice Fang with Fishious Rend, i.e. the move that in the games is so strong it famously can one shot pokemon that outright resist it?

I know the two remarks I made above sort of contradict each other, I guess one can say I have mixed feelings about all this. It's a unavoidable consequence of the anime having treated champions like gods for most of its run.

...Ash didn't use his Alola Pokemon against Iris. He didn't even use Pikachu which would have gave the battle more credibility. The " Ash is the strongest trainer from Alola " line would make sense if he was using the Pokemon that gave him the title.
It will still make sense if he use stronger pokemon than his Alolan pokemon. Lets not forget that Ash only use Melmetal, Pikachu, and Lycanroc in the final.

A region's strongest trainer's pokemon typically are not depicted going down in a couple hits, unless its some kind of super move. I had similar issues with Lance vs. Leon,
The battle between Cynthia's Garchomp and Sinnoh E4 ace pokemon also last only for couple of hit.

There is also Kukui's Empoleon vs Ash's Melmetal vs Kukui's Incineroar.

It will still make sense if he use stronger pokemon than his Alolan pokemon. Lets not forget that Ash only use Melmetal, Pikachu, and Lycanroc in the final.
So you're telling me that Journeys has adequately built up Dragonite and Dracovish to the level of them being stronger than Ash's Alola Pokemon in the final? Like, I get that this might be a natural assumption of the whack consequences of this whack battle, but my mind hurts at how bad the writing is.

Sham

The Guardian of War
That's the thing though, it didn't feel like a battle between two region's strongest trainers. A region's strongest trainer's pokemon typically are not depicted going down in a couple hits, unless its some kind of super move. I had similar issues with Lance vs. Leon, but while perhaps too short that battle still felt more like two champions facing each other.

Let's not exaggerate, didn't Dracovish combo the Ice Fang with Fishious Rend, i.e. the move that in the games is so strong it famously can one shot pokemon that outright resist it?

I know the two remarks I made above sort of contradict each other, I guess one can say I have mixed feelings about all this. It's a unavoidable consequence of the anime having treated champions like gods for most of its run.
That isn’t an exaggeration. FR only doubles in power if the Pokémon attacked before the move was used. Dragonite’s Dragon Rush didn’t land so therefore it would of been a normal attack not to mention resisted since it’s a Water move.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
The battle between Cynthia's Garchomp and Sinnoh E4 ace pokemon also last only for couple of hit.
Which one? Her dominating the Bug type Elite 4 member was expected given how his pokemon actually briefly had trouble with TR of all things. The match with the Fire type Elite 4 member on the other hand was a fast paced back and forth that we only saw the end of.

FS only doubles in power if the Pokémon attacked before the move was used. Dragonite’s Dragon Rush didn’t land so therefore it would of been a normal attack not mention resisted since it’s a Water move.
You are forgetting that anime adaption require some change. Fishious Rend landed before Dragon Rush so the power is doubled.

RafaSceptile

Alolan Ninetales with dominate that OP Dragonite with Ice and Fairy moves
This is the perfect opportunity for Lillie to take the title of the Alolan champion, someone will be happy

Imagine having a definite lead on your lost father you haven't seen since you were 3...as a hobby.
I mean if Gladion's battles are as short as Ash's battles during Normal and Super Class, I doubt it would delay finding Mohn