• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

Sadly the writer choose that route.
Can't believe a forum comment unironically caused me to consider quitting the anime for good lol. I guess all of the " stop watching the anime if you don't like it! " naysayers may have finally struck a nerve.

RafaSceptile

Can't believe a forum comment unironically caused me to consider quitting the anime for good lol. I guess all of the " stop watching the anime if you don't like it! " naysayers may have finally struck a nerve.
Friendly reminder that how good/bad writted is the story of the anime is not the only thing that people can enjoy about it and because of that, even with "bad" (this episode particulary is actually decent on that) writing, a lot of people are enjoying those episodes, as proved with a lot of possitive comments about the good things of the episode

Friendly reminder that how good/bad writted is the story of the anime is not the only thing that people can enjoy about it and because of that, even with "bad" (this episode particulary is actually decent on that) writing, a lot of people are enjoying those episodes, as proved with a lot of possitive comments about the good things of the episode
Is this supposed to be an argument? People like the episode so the problems I have with it don't matter?

Man, again, when satopi was talking about how people definitely weren't arguing for a circlejerk yesterday where everyone's opinions have to mirror each other, I think I had a right to say that had to be a joke when I read comments like these.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Again, I think a lot of this controversy may be due in part to to how the anime has for decades "overhyped" the champion title to some degree by portraying them as godlike trainers who rarely struggle against anything other than another champion or a legendary pokemon. Seems the anime may be going for more of the game's perspective, where there are many champions of greatly varying strength, many trainers that approach champions in strength (including many gym leaders), and where the champion title can actually change hands fairly often (to the point where hanging onto it for even a decade is considered a big accomplishment).

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Is this supposed to be an argument? People like the episode so the problems I have with it don't matter?
I'm not discussing with you since no matter what I said, your negativity is so strong that you will ignore anything good that I would say, so, this is not an "argument", just a comment

dman_dustin

So I guess we've really just embraced the whole off-screen magic meme as legitimately good storytelling huh? I thought it was an elaborate joke we were all in on.

Yes because the show isn't a 24/7 live documrntary and as much as onscreen training/battling is preferred, this is primarily the Go show.

So ignoring your extreme bias, the solution for Ash was supposed to give up, not put his faith in his Pokemon, admit that his Pokemon are weak and throw in the towel just so Iris can beat Ash?
A strategy that requires your pokemon to learn a new move on the spot while its damaged is just selfish, reckless, and abusive. My point is that Ash isn’t the selfless type. I hope he gets it together someday.

Watershuriken97

I think he's just trying to say, take it easy, it's not an issue that others can enjoy what you can't... and frankly, your problems matter as little to them, as their appreciation for the episode matters to your view.... if ur gonna act butthurt, at least don't sound ignorant doing so

I'm not discussing with you since no matter what I said, your negativity is so strong that you will ignore anything good that I would say
I think you literally saw me amend my opinion on the animation of the episode literally within a day when I looked at it again? I'm not unamicable to having my mind changed lmao.
Yes because the show isn't a 24/7 live documrntary and as much as onscreen training/battling is preferred, this is primarily the Go show.
On-screen training episodes were literally a consistent staple of the anime. When have we decided to pretend they weren't?

RafaSceptile

I think you literally saw me amend my opinion on the animation of the episode literally within a day when I looked at it again? I'm not unamicable to having my mind changed lmao.

On-screen training episodes were literally a consistent staple of the anime. When have we decided to pretend they weren't?
It never was a consistent staple of the anime as a 24/7 documentary
I think he's just trying to say, take it easy, it's not an issue that others can enjoy what you can't... and frankly, your problems matter as little to them, as their appreciation for the episode matters to your view.... if ur gonna act butthurt, at least don't sound ignorant doing so
Also this

Ah yes, that's definitely what I've been arguing when that's essentially what the other poster has been implying for a while now lmao. Dude, I don't need to pretend that people share my values when it comes to the Pokemon anime nor have any of my arguments hinged on that. I am completely aware that my problems matter as much as other people share similar values as I do, but the problems I have do matter to me.

This really just reads like a post that is mad I have problems with the episode lmao. I'm sorry to anyone who is offended that I am negative on the episode, but I'm certainly not going to apologize for any of my opinions and if they've taken away from your enjoyment of the episode, I really, really don't care.
It never was a consistent staple of the anime as a 24/7 documentary

Also this
Nice strawman. Yes, that's what I've been advocating for and what was present in earlier anime, a 24/7 documentary.

Ryker101

Tomioka can you just write the whole series at this point? Every episode of yours is an absolute banger. Seriously this one did so much right; cutting straight to the chase, Goh taking the backseat, BW flashbacks, Dragonite development, Dracovish getting his first win, Ash-Iris interactions. Drayden and Haxorus were also so cool to see (I remember wanting him to get a cameo, but he’s in the whole episode!). Iris was literally perfect here! She’s fierce, empathetic, knowledgeable but still childish. She and Ash have a great dynamic and as someone who wasn’t a fan of BW, she’s actually grown on me. I’d be keen to see her again in the future.

Like the Alola episode, they really jam-packed everything they could into this one. It had so many callbacks (including that cheeky best wishes reference at the end) and even teased us with Axew. I’m surprised Ash didn’t mention that he was champion as well during their quarrelling (after the you’re such a kid line when Iris mentions it); between this and the Alola episode I wonder if he’ll ever bring it up on his own. The actual battle was good, albeit it felt rushed with the knockouts (I guess it’s kinda accurate to the games though?) and the animation wasn’t awfully spectacular. I liked how it was both a battle but also a character building moment for Dragonite, and how there was some context as to how it learned Draco Meteor (Dragonite can influence the weather during battles and it was more intense this time, then it redirected dragon pulse pulse via hurricane). I guess it’s replaced hyper beam now.

Like a lot of episodes, it would’ve benefited from a two parter. But they knew what they were doing with this one. This is honestly the best way they could’ve used these 20 minutes and I had a blast watching it. Man, even the end scene was sick (was not expecting Volkner of all people). Really hope hyper class is handled well from here on out, cause he’s only 99 rn.

RafaSceptile

I wish Hyper Clash battle will be more than 2 vs 2 so we can have more of the battle and maybe spanning for more than 1 episode.
I can see the Hypet Class with at least 3vs3 Pokémon, but this still is very possible in a single episode, you need at least 4vs4 for almost a guaranteed 2 parter battle