• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

Watershuriken97

Is this supposed to be an argument? People like the episode so the problems I have with it don't matter?
Dude, I don't need to pretend that people share my values when it comes to the Pokemon anime nor have any of my arguments hinged on that. I am completely aware that my problems matter as much as other people share similar values as I do, but the problems I have do matter to me.
You clearly don't, but I'm not going to endlessly discuss this. It's fine if you hate this episode, give it a 0/10 i really don't care... but "dude" you can't say you know others don't care, and then repeat it matters to you, when my point was about that your caring doesn't matter to others? Like what?
Just discuss stuff in a civil manner...the condescending tone isn't needed. That's all i wantedto get across, "the take it easy" part n stuff (Feel free to respond with that i just sounded condescending as hell myself, or respond understanding and let's move on)

You clearly don't, but I'm not going to endlessly discuss this. It's fine if you hate this episode, give it a 0/10 i really don't care... but "dude" you can't say you know others don't care, and then repeat it matters to you, when my point was about that your caring doesn't matter to others? Like what?
Just discuss stuff in a civil manner...the condescending tone isn't needed. (Feel free to respond with that i just sounded condescending as hell myself, or respond understanding and let's move on)
Nothing I've said is contradictory. It's kind of whack that someone is telling me this after I've been both told to stop watching the anime directly and by implication several times just these past couple of days lol.

I'm completely aware that people disagree with me and share contrary opinions. I just said my opinions definitely matter to me. When I post my thoughts on an episode/series, the number one reason I'm doing is for myself so I can take the jumble of thoughts in my head and put it together in a coherent fashion that at least allows people to understand my values and where I'm coming from in how I approach the show I love.

Got a chance to see the episode and overall, I enjoyed it. It's nice to see Iris (and Drayden) back after so long. Wish we were able to hear more specifics on Iris' progress/her own journey. But I don't think it was unreasonable to see her as the Unova Champion now given how the length of time that has taken place is the same amount of time Ash took to go through two regions and become runner-up in one league and winner in the other. It was also cool to see Haxorus finally evolved as well, especially since Axew expressed how much it wanted to evolve in BW.

Now just because Iris is a Champion now, I didn't think it was too crazy for Ash to beat her. Ash is a solid trainer in his own right and he's proven multiple times that he can battle with a new set of pokemon and still come out on top against some of the strongest trainers. Like I know there's a lot of discussion about how each of Ash's pokemon won but it didn't seem unusual after seeing the battle imo. Like Dracovish's win on Iris' Dragonite made sense given the context of Dragonite being trapped in Dracovish's jaw due to Fishious Rend and being totally caught off-guard, then hit with a super effective Ice Fang. And to be fair, this isn't the first time where Ash used a fresh/new-in-battle pokemon in an important match and came out successful (Krabby/Kingler in the Kanto League or Gible vs. Conway). At the end of the day, I'm glad we got to see Dracovish finally being used and also see what it potentially is capable of.

As for Dragonite vs. Haxorus, I didn't think Iris' whole thing with Dragonite was a major determining factor on Ash winning nor was it an example of Iris not giving her all (not sure where that came from). I just thought it was a moment to show the growth in her own skills of listening to the hearts of dragons. Like Ash's Dragonite still showed how much of a powerhouse it is. It survived a lot of hits and learned Draco Meteor in a way that involved one of my personal favorite Ash strategies: the counter shield.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
the flow of Journey's battles are all over the place so some Pokemon will tank like crazy and others will go down in 1-2 hits and its usually never really related to the stamina of the specific Pokemon it usually is the writers just rushing or dragging out a conclusions to fit the episode run time rather then trying to make it feel organic.

Thats not to say it ruined the battle for me or anything, that's just what happens when you rigidly stick to a one episode format that no one wanted or likes.

Bingo. Power levels are out the window. Anyone can now catch a Pokémon wild and crush a challenger of years with it.

Power levels are out the window because this series wants to write fun and entertaining affairs without the adherence to a formula from the past. And that’s just how it is so get wrapped up in anger over it is pointless. Kamonegi shouldn’t have survived so many Psychic moves from a fully evolved Earlade but did because it was cool and enjoyable. This series is aiming to be an exciting and world shaking affair and not getting caught up in the semantics of things.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
  • How Iris said "Best Wishes" to Ash at the end of the episode
Nothing good ever happens when someone says that.
I’m good with it, but I have seen some comments that were missing the little baby dragon when during BW they were calling it useless. It’s just funny to me.
Errrrrrrrrr, I was more trying to say that it was really, really annoying as a baby dragon. And now that it's an adult with a design that screams murder to draw, it won't hog too much screen time anymore.

Last edited:

srebak

Beginning Trainer
I am glad that Ash won

But...

I really do wish that his Dragonite defeated Iris’

I’m also not sure about how I feel about Iris becoming a champion, while Ash’s status as Alola’s champion has been in-universe never brought up and, IRL just plain discredited as nothing of real importance or at least nothing that compares to Iris’ current position

And, just as I feared; Iris’ “little kid” catchphrase, one of the main two reasons why I didn’t like her (the other being her general condescending attitude), has made a return. Which means that this will be a difficult episode for me to fully enjoy, which itself is a real shame, since I like dragons.

Also, honestly, after what I gathered from the episode on my own and after reading certain YouTube commentators say that Ash’s Dragonite would have lost during the first match had Ash not recalled it and in the final match had Iris “helped” it, I feel the need to say that Ash’s Dragonite really didn’t need this type of development. Even with Iris’ talent for Dragon type Pokémon, it feels as if Ash’s Dragonite should have put up more of a fight against Iris’ and delivered more damage. It also seems as though Ash’s Dragonite shouldn’t have needed to have that talk from Iris to put up a good fight against Haxorus. Now, I’m sure that a lot of Iris fans are glad to have her back and to see her in action, but honestly, i don’t think that it was really necessary to make her talent for Dragon type Pokémon to be that integral to the plot, especially if meant making one of Ash’s Pokémon weaker to both of hers in some way by comparison

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Bingo. Power levels are out the window. Anyone can now catch a Pokémon wild and crush a challenger of years with it.

Power levels are out the window because this series wants to write fun and entertaining affairs without the adherence to a formula from the past. And that’s just how it is so get wrapped up in anger over it is pointless. Kamonegi shouldn’t have survived so many Psychic moves from a fully evolved Earlade but did because it was cool and enjoyable. This series is aiming to be an exciting and world shaking affair and not getting caught up in the semantics of things.
Is that fun though? I get your points but if we are going by this system what's the point of training? Is everyone essentially on the same level since any battle can go any way? It just seems like the plot and battles are at the mercy of how the writers are feeling more so than them attempting to be coherent. Pokemon communism sounds fun on paper but I think the execution has been random.

Last edited:
Something can be both fun and entertaining while also making narrative sense. Not sure where the idea that these are somehow mutually exclusive things came to be.

Really getting into the whacky territory here if something like logic and coherency is now just waived away as just " semantics. "