• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Battle! Ash VS Iris!! (1154)

Sham

The Guardian of War
Uh it still bothers me how Dragonite tanked both of Mamowsine’s and Beartic’s Ice attacks (even ran thought a freaking Blizzard) but mystically couldn’t take an Ice Fang combination from a Dracovish.

UglyToast

Uh it still bothers me how Dragonite tanked both of Mamowsine’s and Beartic’s Ice attacks (even ran thought a freaking Blizzard) but mystically couldn’t take an Ice Fang combination from a Dracovish.
I'm pretty sure Dragonite was prepared to take those ice attacks, in here he didn't expect Dracovish to basically swallow him whole and use Fishious Rend then ice fang on him (not to mention his whole body was frozen)

Aside from all of those things, most importantly Dragonite couldn't breath inside of Dracovish's mouth, which I think a lot of people ignore about it.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I mean let's think about this, how do respond to a situation when something that is about the same size as you, is trying to eat you and basically cuts off not only your hearing but your oxygen supply at the same time, and you can't get out?

combine that with ice fang's quad damage and yeah it's not hard to see why Dracovish won that round.

You know the more I watch this fight...it gives me serious vibes of how most of Ash's hoenn gym battles tended to be.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I'm pretty sure Dragonite was prepared to take those ice attacks, in here he didn't expect Dracovish to basically swallow him whole and use Fishious Rend then ice fang on him (not to mention his whole body was frozen)

Aside from all of those things, most importantly Dragonite couldn't breath inside of Dracovish's mouth, which I think a lot of people ignore about it.
Yeah but since when does a surprise attack automatically take a Pokémon out? I’m sure Dragonite didn’t know Mamoswine or Bearitc’s movepool but still tanked it. And I know he bit him viciously but this is the same Pokémon who was frozen solid but still won and grabbed Mamowsine Ice Fang with his bear hands. Power scaling is bad in light of Journeys but Mamoswine literally couldn’t touch Dragonite. They totally retcon how resistant he is towards Ice moves. Dracovish’s ability is in question but until confirmation that was a huge nerf.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Yeah but since when does a surprise attack automatically take a Pokémon out? I’m sure Dragonite didn’t know Mamoswine or Bearitc’s movepool but still tanked it. And I know he bit him viciously but this is the same Pokémon who was frozen solid but still won and grabbed Mamowsine Ice Fang with his bear hands. Power scaling is bad in light of Journeys but Mamoswine literally couldn’t touch Dragonite. They totally retcon how resistant he is towards Ice moves. Dracovish’s ability is in question but until confirmation that was a huge nerf.

maybe not so much a surprise attack itself, but the surprise factor has thrown trainers off in the past because if you know absolutely nothing of what your facing how can you prepare for it?

Plus her dragonite was clearly unnerved just looking at Dracovish as well (a reaction the galar fossils usually tend to get anyway) and Iris even said it threw off their pace.

At least she was quick enough to adapt by realizing that Dracovish was more of a close quarter fighter, and kept Haxorus at a distance to take it out.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As for Ash's Dragonite, I'm confident it has multiscale as its ability. Yeah, in the games it only works when at full health but I could see the anime working around to make it less restrictive.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Plus her dragonite was clearly unnerved just looking at Dracovish as well (a reaction the galar fossils usually tend to get anyway) and Iris even said it threw off their pace.

At least she was quick enough to adapt by realizing that Dracovish was more of a close quarter fighter, and kept Haxorus at a distance to take it out.
so your conclusion is that Dragonite lost because he was battling a Pokémon he’s never seen before?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
so your conclusion is that Dragonite lost because he was battling a Pokémon he’s never seen before?

Yes, because again how can you know what to expect out of something you've never seen before?

Several trainers have had this happen to them throughout the course of the anime and no one is immune to this, Ash has had it happen to him a few times such as Gary's Electivire after the battle frontier, when Pikachu had just taken down a Regice, but Electivire made short work of Pikachu because Ash didn't know what it was capable of.

there's also another factor to consider to these arguments about Dragonites "Ice" resistance in the past.

It's likely that when fighting Beartic and Mamoswine, Dragonite had prepared and braced itself to take those moves despite them being weak to them, yet with Dracovish it's guard could've been dropped due to the shock factor and thus that's why ice fang worked so well.

let me use this as an exmaple, say you got in a fight with someone and you are about to get to punched, you know it's coming, and if you brace yourself for the impact the damage is likely to be lessened even if it hurts because your focusing your senses towards it in preparation, but let's say the puncher does something shocking that drops your guard and makes you lose that focus, all of a sudden that punch is likely going to hurt alot more because your no longer as prepared to take it.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Even Melmetal, who did lose but still was unexpected, still dealt a ton of damage to Silvally before Pikachu finished it off. Had Gladion known what Melmetal was prior to the match, Silvally would have not been as damaged as it was.