• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection

Chris

Old Coot
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The good news is, Square-Enix will be celebrating Dragon Quest's 25th anniversary by releasing a collection on the Wii, similar to the Super Mario Bros. one released by Nintendo. The collection will feature Dragon Quests 1 through 3 and unlike the SMB one, it will feature the original NES and Super NES versions.

The bad news is, there's a possibility it won't get a western release or will likely be gimped if it does. The reasons behind this are as such. Square-Enix did not release the Super Famicom remakes outside of Japan. For North America, the only ways to play the first three titles are through the NES and Game Boy Color releases. This would require SE to actually put some effort into translating the SNES versions. Given how they've basically stopped publishing the games here themselves and have left Nintendo to take on the task since the DS releases of VI and IX, it's a good guess that they can't be bothered to release this themselves in the west.

This also presents a further problem, as this would leave things in the hands of Nintendo, which would require them to figure out just when to announce and plan a release date. To make matters worse, if this doesn't get a release, Europe will once again be screwed out of the first three DQ titles, as their first ever was DQVIII.

Before anyone asks, DQIV isn't on there (despite being originally on the NES) because it's available on the DS.

Source: http://www.gamerzines.com/wii/news/dragon-quest-classics-announce.html

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I though it would be more practical to release something like this on the DS/i/3DS. I guess the wanna put the wii in the last bit of peoples hands before the next system comes out. SE needs to get off their lazy asses and put more effort into localizing the DQ titles like they do with FF.

Chris

Old Coot
If it ain't gonna sell, they ain't gonna localize it. Sad, but that's business for ya'. ;-;
On the contrary, the DQ games have been selling nicely since Nintendo's been publishing them. The problem is SE doesn't want to put too much effort into it.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
****, Nintendo started this mess, and now its too late. I can only assume Zelda's gonna do this, but with the handheld games. Oh well, if this does come out westward's, at least it can be a fun,albeit brutal, experience.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
****, Nintendo started this mess, and now its too late. I can only assume Zelda's gonna do this, but with the handheld games.

What the **** are you talking about?

Anyway, I got excited, but then I kept reading and got really sad. DQIII was one of my favorite games in the series, really makes me sad we'll never see a better release of it than the GBC port.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Yeah... I still need to play II and III... I haven't yet played VI, VII, and VIII either, but I'll try to play them. I'm getting Dragon Quest VI for the DS soon.

We can only hope for a miracle I guess... Hopefully Nintendo will save us... hopefully... I'm trying to have faith.

If not... then I'm hunting down the gameboy ports...

Chris

Old Coot
Good luck. The Game Boy Color ports go for a pretty penny these days.

Renelia

The Game Boy Colour ports were really good, despite the hardware limitations on the GBC. Shame it may be the only two ports America sees.

I'm hoping it's not bugged or a porting disaster.

Chris

Old Coot
Knowing how the Dragon Quest franchise is viewed in Japan, I doubt they'd screw it up. Especially since it may as well just be what the SMA collection was - ROMs slapped on a disc. At least in this case, it'd be offering the originals and the SNES remakes.

Also, dat DQIII intro battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRy3eiBegYQ&t=3m56s

Waldorf

ungrateful
I don't think the first three Dragon Quest titles can evoke enough nostalgic appeal in the West for a lavish anniversary edition (which essentially comes down to three NES games and their SNES counterparts) to sell.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
I don't think the first three Dragon Quest titles can evoke enough nostalgic appeal in the West for a lavish anniversary edition (which essentially comes down to three NES games and their SNES counterparts) to sell.

You clearly don't know how much Japan loves their Dragon Quest then.

Chris

Old Coot
You clearly don't know how much Japan loves their Dragon Quest then.
He said in the west. Japan's in the east.

However, I'll have to disagree, seeing as how the first three Dragon Quest games did moderately well here. I'd say nostalgia also played a role in sales for Dragon Quest IV, as Square-Enix was completely unsure of how that would sell here. If it hadn't, we wouldn't have gotten DQV. (But then again, they stopped publishing the damn games outside of Japan, leaving Nintendo to do it for VI and IX...)

Either way, the fourth installment also did well on the NES, despite coming out at a time when the Super NES was out. That and the damn rarity of the game spiked up. Also take note of how valuable the Game Boy Color ports became.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Even if this does come out over here, I'm definitely not getting it. DQ I and II are pretty ridiculous by today's standards, and despite being one of the most well known JRPGs ever, DQ III's not so hot either.

Chris

Old Coot
Just barely in time to bump this, but I think this is well worth it.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/20...te/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Apparently, the collection is going to include the first ever footage of Dragon Quest X. Million-seller confirmed.

Not like it wasn't gonna break a million anyway, but still.
About damn time!

Even if this does come out over here, I'm definitely not getting it. DQ I and II are pretty ridiculous by today's standards, and despite being one of the most well known JRPGs ever, DQ III's not so hot either.
You do know the Super Famicom remakes fixed all of the aged mechanics, right? No more accessing a menu to open a chest or door or to use the stairs.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I really hope that this comes out in the west I would so buy it.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
You do know the Super Famicom remakes fixed all of the aged mechanics, right? No more accessing a menu to open a chest or door or to use the stairs.

That was pretty annoying, but for DQ I and II I was referring to the overall grindfest the games turn into. DQ III isn't as bad I guess, but I never really got into it.