• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Quest IX: NOW WITH MORE GRINDAN

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
Oh God, i am SO getting this when it comes to Europe.

I've always loved the series, and this looks awesome...

MaskedManAbsolkid

Awesome! As I type, I'm playing DQV and I love it, so I want this game to come out in Europe.

Surfing_Pikachu

Wow, those look like early Gamecube graphics! (or should I just say the Wii's graphics...) Too bad though, I'm not really a fan of JRPGS. The only JRPG games I've ever liked were FF7 and the Paper Mario series.

martinzelda

Right. On. Time.
Oh the game looks fantastic. When it comes out in Canada, I'll buy it. That is, if I can find my lost DS Lite. But really, the game looks greater than I had expected it to be.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
So the biggest game the DS has yet seen finally dropped in Japanland today. The game's already sold upwards of two million copies through pre-orders alone. Now it's time for Square-Enix to maybe, just maybe release the game here. Course it's not a Final Fantasy title or Kingdom Hearts so they'll probably take their time, or just not release it at all.

Nah, DQ's too big a series for them to not release it Stateside. It'll just take them a year to completely localize it like with VIII.

Anyways, yeah. I admit I haven't paid much attention to the game so far...the various features look interesting. It looks as if we'll be seeing a return to the character class system from III, but with more character customization/creation. Not sure how I feel about the combat and combo system, but that's something I'd have to try out for myself first. Also not sure how I feel about the apparent lack of wholly unique player characters (as in, characters with pre-set roles in the story and such), but this isn't a series that's really big on party character development anyways. Feel free to correct me and have a hearty laugh at my expense if I'm wrong about any of that.

Actually, probably my biggest concern is the music; Dragon Quest's main series has some of my favorite video game soundtracks ever--especially VI on. I hold Koichi Sugiyama in fairly high regard, and I dearly hope he's managed to pull another rabbit out of his hat.

But hey--I've been a big fan of the series pretty much since III, and I do hope to pick this one up when it comes to the US.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
Nah, DQ's too big a series for them to not release it Stateside. It'll just take them a year to completely localize it like with VIII.
I'm really, really pulling for a Christmas release on this one. However I wouldn't put it past them to make us wait a year, but with no new content like they added for VIII's English release.

Anyways, yeah. I admit I haven't paid much attention to the game so far...the various features look interesting. It looks as if we'll be seeing a return to the character class system from III, but with more character customization/creation. Not sure how I feel about the combat and combo system, but that's something I'd have to try out for myself first. Also not sure how I feel about the apparent lack of wholly unique player characters (as in, characters with pre-set roles in the story and such), but this isn't a series that's really big on party character development anyways. Feel free to correct me and have a hearty laugh at my expense if I'm wrong about any of that.
Far as I'm aware you do get the occasional pre-made character added to your party, but they don't stay long and you won't control them, like in the earlier games.

Actually, probably my biggest concern is the music; Dragon Quest's main series has some of my favorite video game soundtracks ever--especially VI on. I hold Koichi Sugiyama in fairly high regard, and I dearly hope he's managed to pull another rabbit out of his hat.
This is my biggest concern too, but for entirely different reasons. One of my main problems while playing through DQIV DS and now VII is the lack of orchestrated music. VIII spoiled me in that regard. I could care less about the graphics and such, but after playing through VIII hearing Sugiyama's music synthesized does nothing for me.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
This is my biggest concern too, but for entirely different reasons. One of my main problems while playing through DQIV DS and now VII is the lack of orchestrated music. VIII spoiled me in that regard. I could care less about the graphics and such, but after playing through VIII hearing Sugiyama's music synthesized does nothing for me.

Understandable. Not saying that his synthesized music is bad or anything--half the fun, for me at least, is identifying the various musical idioms and patterns he uses. But even comparing VIII's in-game music (from the English release anyways, if I'm correct about them re-recording and orchestrating the soundtrack) to the heavily synthesized OST release...the orchestrated version is on a whole other level of quality. Of course, it helps that VIII had an amazing soundtrack in the first place...

Chris

Old Coot
Probably the only big downside was the connectivity turning out to NOT be online wi-fi.

Some thoughts I posted on another forum I go to:

I got ahold of Dragon Quest IX last night (please don't judge my methods!) and it's a really good game. Like people have previously said on GAF, it's fairly slow at first. Most disappointingly was having to collect those things as an angel spirit to absorb into the giant tree which took up some time for someone like me who isn't too acquainted with the Japanese language.

Fortunately aside from that, when you start playing the game a lot of the things are fairly easy to understand even if you don't understand Japanese, which might or might not transition too well when it's localized here in the states. The only things I've had to look up a guide for is the classes I get to select (which caused me to accidentally choose the same class as the hero after a few levels of leveling the character up...oh well) AND the weapon skills.

The features in the game bring a lot of elements from the previous DQIII and DQVIII. The weapon system from DQVIII, for example, is back in action, now with every class having their own (there's also a lot more weapons in this game than DQVIII, just from the starting choices). The game also feels a lot like an MMO or Monster Hunter. The map system is separated into different squares that make up a whole area, usually with their own exclusive monsters and ****, so the world isn't exactly seamless like in the previous games but not really in a bad way. You can also assign little taunts and ****, which all you need is to hold the B button and press a direction on the D-pad to execute.

I feel the biggest improvement DQIX adds to the series is how it presents equipment. Grinding for equipment is a fairly efficient way of leveling up and feeling like you earn something in Dragon Quest games. In this, now that you can visually see what you've earn on your characters. It's really satisfying and I don't even think I want to sell any of it (the game keeps a percentage track of all the equipment you've collected too, amongst other things). Also, a lack of random encounters is also a really good thing, and makes killing monsters in the game a very fun thing rather than dreading to have one pop up on you.

Aka it's a pretty cool game, I'm only about five hours into it so far.

I haven't been playing it as much lately though, been busy with other things, but my initial thoughts on the game remains the same. Really good stuff.