• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies for NDS

natie

Mr. F
I played the Japanese version a couple of months ago, never got into it. The game just seems so incredibly boring... It looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous though, but the gameplay is so slow... I might give it another try as my taste in games has changed a little since then, hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it now.

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
Well, I planned to make my main character a thief.

I got two other questions:

1. Which classes, between the mage and the magic knight, is best?

2. Is a paladin able to ressurect people?

sorry for delayed response:

1. no, a paladin actually learns hardly any magic and unless he learns zing past level 85 (which is when I stopped using mine), Zing isn't one of his spells, but hes a good buffer. However if you don't want all of your priest training and zing goodness to go to waste I recommend training your priest as a mage to boost his/her magical might, then class swap him/her to a sage when you get it. A sage learns dark attack magic (zam, zammle etc) and the best of the healing spells (fullheal, multiheal, zing, kazing etc).
The sage quest can be found in a bookcase on the second floor of the northern most part of the hexagon portion of gittingham palace.

2. While mage and "mageknight" are both very useful, neither is more useful then the other its mostly preferance. I can give you some advice on how to effectively use both and you can decide.

a) The most effective mage uses a wand for the mp boost since most of damage comes from spells, and since the priest has a couple of mp boosters and can also use wands I would recommend getting those boosters first and get a head start on the wand skills then class swap. The mages magic will seem weak at first but once you get bang and magic might +60 your mage instantly becomes an mvp and only gets better from there. A mage is a great choice for a final job pick to take to level 99 since you can dish out massive damage to all enemies instead of just a group.

b) The "mageknight" is basically the support red mage, and very good for item farming since he/she can put groups of enemies to sleep, which makes it easier to steal valuable items from foes that run. (like evencloth from the ragged reaper). The mageknight is also invaluable against the infamous metal slime since he/she can learn metal slash. Making a mageknight is a good choice if you like to make your equips instead of buy them.
Its low speed and str can be remedied by pretraining him/her as a martial artist followed by a warrior or gladiator.

NOTE: Making your main guy a thief is a good idea, I think you should train him as a ranger aswell to give a huge boost to your deftness (which influances your steal rate). The best thing you can do is get omnivocational sword master, then use a ranger with a sword. since good ranger armor is hard to come by, i recommend making a cloak of concealment (one cloak of evasion, 2 slipweed, 1 lambswool) white tights. (buy some pop socks from slurray quay and mix with 4 seashells that can be found east of storway on the southern part of the coast), and a mercury's bandana (mix trailblazing bandana [bandana x1, bowtie x1] with agility ring [flurry feather x2, prayer ring x1). these are good for a thief as well and you can effectively use them all game.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Any other questions should probably done via pm so we dont derail the topic.

Nitro123 (PG)

Needs a user title
I think it looks like a fun game, but Nintendo Channel on the Wii made a HHUUGGEE deal out of it. Not even Super Mario Galaxy 2 got that much attention on there... but I'm thinking about buying it. Like I said, it looks fun. :)

Shadow XD001

I saw this game on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii and the game seems great. I don't have enough money now to buy it, but I will in a few days, but I really can't wait to get it! (I'm just getting kind of tired of my DS Games, which is mostly Pokemon)

Can't wait, and this game is a good buy, right?

LugiaSoul

You can't stop me
Your thinking is ON TRACK lol! Get this game it rocks! And if you live near Gamestop, get it on July 31, and bring your DS, so you can get the event.

Shadow XD001

LugiaSoul: There's an event for Dragon Quest IX? Eitherway, I wouldn't be able to get it today because I don't have the money yet, but I will in a few days. (wish it was sooner)

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
How to you change youre main characters class anyway. My character is a Minstral and you saying yours will be a thief has got me wondering.

Simple. It takes a while. Basically, you need to...

...get on the train, this happens after finishing the events in coffinwell. From here it will be clear what to do to get to alltrades abbey. Go to alltrades abbey, talk to some people, and they'll tell you Jack of Alltrades (see what they did there?) went off to the Tower of Trades. Get to the top of the tower, fight the boss (who is somewhat tough because he can act twice per turn, but he can also raise his defense) and then return to Alltrades Abbey. Talk to Jack a few times in a row and he'll let you change classes.

And if you're too lazy to read the spoiler, click here.

Tubey84

My one biggest gripe about this game...

BIG SPOILER BELOW - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED!

So you fall off Greysnarl and end up in the prison. You're unequipped and thrown in a cell. Fair enough... except for the annoying fact that you can instantly equip all your gear again WHILST in prison, and further to that zoom to Stornway to get your party again. So you can escape prison, gather people, but you have to voluntarily go back to advance the storyline.

Lazy, lazy, lazy game design.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Now i have a question about a quest called "Get Well Water". This quest asks that you get some fresh Water to mix with the Angel Falls water to make a medicine for the gaurd in Stornway.

Where do i get that Fresh water? or better yet how do i collect it?

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
Now i have a question about a quest called "Get Well Water". This quest asks that you get some fresh Water to mix with the Angel Falls water to make a medicine for the gaurd in Stornway.

Where do i get that Fresh water? or better yet how do i collect it?
There are 2 ways.

You can half-inch (steal) it from the monster Cheaky Teeky located in the dungeon north east two areas of batsureg (the large plains area) or there is a gather point right below the large pond next to a tree in the area east of batsureg. If you have the ship, batsureg located north of the peninsula to east of the giant desert island and its northwest of the giant snow region. it will be a big green patch on your world map.

@raging ghost: sorry i havent gotten to your question everyrime i try and respond I get dced by lag.

@tubey: That wasn't lazy it was pretty clever on your characters part,
don't forget they didn't realize you were a celestian when you were captured (only celestrians can use zoom), the only reason you voluntarely go back is to free the others.

getBLUNTED

SOIHERD?
I'm still preoccupied with Final Fantasy XIII <3 so I don't think I'll be getting this. I didn't even like Dragon Quest VIII very much for the PS2 so I'll pass on this one.

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
I'm still preoccupied with Final Fantasy XIII <3 so I don't think I'll be getting this. I didn't even like Dragon Quest VIII very much for the PS2 so I'll pass on this one.
Thats a real shame because the average rpg (especially for ds) doesn't even compare to this game. While FFXIII has magnificent scenery the game pretty much plays itself and you're along for the ride. I'll put it this way, there's a reason why Dragon Quest 9 broke the recordin the Guiness Book of World Records in total sales in the first year it was out. You have more control over who your characters are, what they look like, their battle style, etc. then any plot based rpg ever made. There is 100s of hours of content for single and multiplayer. There is no comparison between this and any other dq game. You are missing out on an epic adventure to not get it for the mere 35 bucks it costs.

Tubey84

OK, I'll write up a proper dissenting view of the praise this game is getting in this thread, because having played it extensively I have to say the following:

The Dragon Quest series has always had a very set way of doing things. It's an old fashioned Anime-based RPG and is proud of the fac it does things the way it does. Having played the previous DQ on the DS, I was both impressed and left underwhelmed by the title but having read the hype regarding DQIX up to its release in Europe, I was actually really excited about the title in a way I haven't been about an RPG since FFVIII following the stunner that was FFVII on the PS.

So DQIX is the first title I have bought on release day for any gaming system in about 10 years. The initial presentation upon boot-up is encouraging, with an action packed cut scene. Square Enix have said they wish to focus on combat with this game and it certainly sets up for that.

The character customisation is, without a doubt, the most versatile ever seen in an RPG. This ranges from the initial character design to (a few hours into the game) the choice of professions. You can choose how your hero and your other party members (three in total, but you can have a reserve of many) look and fight. However, this comes at a massive cost - the only character that "exists" in the main plot is the hero. It's hard to explain, but your three other party members pretty much don't exist. They're completely silent and completely ignored by the plot.

And it's the single biggest blow to this title - the emphasis on multiplayer has killed what could have been a fantastic game. Naturally, Square Enix had no choice but to have generic party members when the link game involves characters from other universes, but it was a poor choice.

Why? Well, namely the link system design. There isn't a WiFi global multiplayer option here. Instead, DQIX resorts to the age old local multiplayer option, relying on the hope that you have a close friend who plays DQIX extensively. Unfortunately, most DQIX players in Europe will be few and far between (and probably in the USA). The system probably works in Japan as the DQIX hype has passed into popular culture and nearly every kid aged 10 and upwards will have a copy. Not so in the West.

The potential of the title to be a WiFi success is here though. The game is beautifully rendered and the gameplay is innovative - the combat system allowing you to pick and choose whether you encounter monsters or not in the biggest breath of fresh air to the genre since Crono Trigger. Allowing a Pokemon-esque Global Trade Station of invites to eachothers world would have made this title a must have, but perhaps that is something for DQ10 to consider.

Setting aside the multiplayer aspect, what of the solo storyline? Well, mediocre to be fair. Dragon Quest has never been on a par with the Final Fantasy or Suikoden masterpieces when it comes to storytelling, but in this instance it's particularly disappointing. There's very few personable characters (with the possible exception of Stella and "Fatguts" providing comic relief) resulting in a generic gaming experience of play-by-numbers for the first 30-ish hours of the game.

It's not a difficult game either. In fact, the most trouble you'll have is interpreting the outlandish names of the spells ("Zing" apparently means "resurrect") or navigating the absolutely woeful menu system, or figuring out the map (which isn't interactive, remaining static in the top screen.)

The game threatens to come to life "post-game", but sadly it resorts to filler - "fetch 'em" quests and grinding is abound, filled with monster designs that are repeated adnauseum (a teeny sanguini is one of the first mobs you'll encounter - sadly, a purple version named genie sanguini is also one of the last you'll encounter...).

There's a difference between "hundreds of hours of gameplay" and "hundreds of hours of repetitive manual labour". DQIX too often falls into the second category. Whilst the RPG lovers inside of us will love the DQVC selling us rare items over WiFi, or the grind for your new alchemised weapon, there's not enough to compel you to switch the DS back on for another Celestrian adventure.

And therein lies DQIX's biggest problem - there's no "pull" for the player, especially newcomers to the game. DQ is stuck between wanting to appease the fans of the series and pull in fresh blood - it ends up doing neither.

If you're looking for a truly massive and enthralling RPG experience on the Nintendo DS, you'd be wise to consider Suikoden Tierkreis (a little known yet fantastic RPG experience) or pick up Crono Trigger for another blast.

6/10.

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
While I can agree with most of your points some of it is very subjective, I personally found that despite party of voiceless protagonists, the deliverance of the story deserves a bit more credit then you give it. Granted I probably did overhype it a tad, and when I found out I couldn't play it with my bro thats 2000 miles away i was disappointed. I think with the amount of stuff you can do it deserves at least a 7.5/10.

And as far as Crono Trigger goes that will in fact always hold a place in my heart.

But one thing I can unarguably agree with is about Suikoden Tierkreis. Even though it didn't quite live up to the genious that was Suikoden V, the story of Suikoden Tierkreis grabbed me in a way that not many games ever have. So much so I was actually in tears at parts. One might even say Suikoden Tierkreis is the best rpg or even game for ds. They certainly didn't lie when they say "the deepest handheld rpg of all time". <3

Tubey84

Suikoden has to be the most underrated set of games in the western hemisphere ever. It always astonishes me that Final Fantasy games outsell Suikoden regardless of their quality - and there has been some stinkers in the FF series in all honesty.

I've actually never been left disappointed by Suikoden and given it's arguably more "Japanese" than either DQ or FF, that's an achievement!

The greatest RPG (or actually, game of probably any genre) of all time remains Final Fantasy 7. I actually can't picture a game that can beat that. If I ever came across one I think I'd be playing it from now until 2020!

As for being harsh about DQIX, I just don't feel it even comes close to living up to its hype. If it had been an unknown game and sneaked into the public domain, then perhaps I'd be less harsh. But given the push it's received worldwide I think it's a bit misleading of Square Enix and Nintendo to push the title down our throat and expect us to pay out £30-40 for a game that is, to say the very least, a coin toss as to whether you'll like it or not.

I've been playing DQIX now for... dunno, something like 70 hours, and it's a weird feeling - the knowledge that it's a disappointing experience, combined with the hope that any minute now it has to liven up!

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
Suikoden has to be the most underrated set of games in the western hemisphere ever. It always astonishes me that Final Fantasy games outsell Suikoden regardless of their quality - and there has been some stinkers in the FF series in all honesty.

I've actually never been left disappointed by Suikoden and given it's arguably more "Japanese" than either DQ or FF, that's an achievement!

The greatest RPG (or actually, game of probably any genre) of all time remains Final Fantasy 7. I actually can't picture a game that can beat that. If I ever came across one I think I'd be playing it from now until 2020!

As for being harsh about DQIX, I just don't feel it even comes close to living up to its hype. If it had been an unknown game and sneaked into the public domain, then perhaps I'd be less harsh. But given the push it's received worldwide I think it's a bit misleading of Square Enix and Nintendo to push the title down our throat and expect us to pay out £30-40 for a game that is, to say the very least, a coin toss as to whether you'll like it or not.

I've been playing DQIX now for... dunno, something like 70 hours, and it's a weird feeling - the knowledge that it's a disappointing experience, combined with the hope that any minute now it has to liven up!

WOOAH now! Did you really just say ff7 was the best game ever? Sorry chap you'll have to come up with some major convincing for that claim. While I loved the gameplay, the story was just one huge question mark. The bad guy came out of no where, not to mention the main charactor made no sense what-so-ever. It was the only rpg that was split into 4 parts and still fit together like a wet jigsaw puzzle, aside from the kingdom hearts games. If ff7 is your favorite game theres no wonder why you dont like dq9. FF7 is just one huge fanservice at this point. No offense but you need play all the ffs before you can even attempt to say ff7 was the best one nevermind the beet game. And if you have then well I dont value your opinion very much anymore. =/
And btw suikoden is made by a japanese company yes but is actually the least japanese of the 3. Its based on chinese folklore, just saying.

Tubey84

Meh, Asian anyway ^^ I'm English so I can't effectively make the distinction between Japanese and Chinese folklore (a bit like an Asian trying to distinguish English and Scottish folklore I guess!) but Suikoden comes across a bit more Oriental than FF or DQ does. Then again, DQ is definitely the "quirkier" of the bunch with the whole smiling slimes thing!

FF7 is my favourite game in terms of storyline by a long way (yeah I've played them all - in fact I've played most RPG's that have migrated over to English translation since about year 2000 ;) ) as it had the most memorable characters in Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Barrett, Sephiroth. You have to go back to when it first hit the shelves and the standard of RPG's at the time. Crono Trigger had been released on the Mega Drive/Genesis a year or two earlier and was the standout, but nothing had emerged on the Playstation. The cut scenes where explosive (Aeris' death scene, Sephiroth walking through the flames - quite simply iconic moments).

There has been more fluent FF's in terms of storyline but nothing as raw and emotive as FF7. It was literally an experience to play that game, like playing a novel. Even the Gold Saucer was a hit. Sure, it may be dated now, but it was the Playstations finest moment as far as I'm concerned (Metal Gear Solid coming very, very close - that's horrendously dated as well :p) and whilst I've appreciated the beauty and depth of RPG's since FF7, nothing has quite surpassed the overall experience even if they "technically" beat it.

Kingdom Hearts I wouldn't touch again with a barge pole to be honest ^^

EDIT: Plus, FF7's soundtrack is something I can actually listen to standalone. It's absolutely astonishing.

Last edited:

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
Well I won't argue it was good for its time but hell its own prequal beat in every aspect you just mentioned. FF7 Crisis Core was a masterpiece, its when you found out who cloud, aerith, tifa, yuffie and sephiroth really were. The end of that game had me bawling my eyes out. I couldn't believe how enthrawling the story was. Any way this convorsation should be continued via vm.